Skip to content

The Roleplaying Challenge Continues! The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'm going to head in and help Imoen look for traps and hidden stuff. I'll check the stove and the chimney and then the door.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Minsc let them look for the cowardly traps and help me stand guard by the door before some coward evil villain try to attack heroes by their backs.

OOC Mazzy is learning a new language... Soon I'll be able to fluently speak Minsc and translate it to common... next I'll learn Boo :)
    Myval
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Which is why she is Mini-Minsc-ette Hero
    mlnevese
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    The drawer holds knives, tongs and other cooking implements. The cupboard has an assortment of tin cups, plates, and flatware along with some wooden platters and a metal dipper. The liquid in the cask is water.

Through the door, which is unlocked, you see food- lots and lots of food: hanging hams and sausages, half a cow, three sacks, a set of casks and two ceramic jars. There is another door to your right.
    "This is a treasure fitting a hero!" As far as Minsc was concerned, this was striking pure gold. Rarely did he see more food than his frame could take in, making this extra special. "See, Boo?"
    I'll go and check for traps, listen and pick the lock on the door to the right. But I will wait for the heroic types to join me before I open it.
    Okay. Minsc enjoys the sight of food. The next room (door not locked) appears to be general stores for the ship. Two huge coils of rope, and three long rolls of sailcloth lie on the floor alongside a large wooden box. A large wooden cask sits next to six lengths of wood planking. Set into a wooden rack, fastened to the bulkhead by a door to the east are two metal-headed hammers, two wooden mallets, two saws and an adze. There is an opening, about 3' square and with its lower edge about 3' above the deck in the other bulkhead.

There seems to be nothing of value here and the area is apparently unoccupied.
  • MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    I glance into the room with food, and coming to the conclusion that nothing was going to be there, I turn and watch the entrance that we came from, make sure that no other cowardly pirates would try to attack.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    "Alrighty then. Back through the galley and to the next door?" Imoen suggests. "I love organized pirates. Thoughtful of them to separate the shinies and the non-shinies."
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Sorry to hear about your fall, Lady R :(

All this time Xan has probably just been keeping watch to make sure nobody's sneaking up. Hey, it's night, infravision is actually useful!
    "Ham is the food of heroes, eh, Boo?" Still, he needed to make certain that there wasn't more evil to address, lest he be caught stuffing his face when there was hero work to be done!
    Okay, You go back around and Alora and Imoen look for traps and open the next door. Inside are three hammocks, empty. There are signs that someone was quartered there, but not any more.
    Which meant that there was no risk of anybody taking the ham away - a good sign, all around.
    I give a snort, and follow the two sneaky ones out, glancing around, and standing a good ways away when they where inspecting the door. I approach when the door was openned and glanced in. "I wonder if they are among the fallen foes. Or could they be hiding like the cowards they are."
    OOC I've lost track. Is there one more door to do? The what other parts of the ship are left to explore? We haven't gone down in the hold yet have we?
    OOC I think it's two more doors up and then we go down... Not literally I hope :)
    Nope, three doors, all leading down.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    Do all three doors look like they go to the same place?

OOC: I went to dinner at my parents' house last night and peeped at their Dungeons and Dragons game. It's the original rules. Not a first-run version, of course, but original rules and book and the Keep on the Borderlands module. I was amused. There may be a gaming day at my house in the not terribly distant future. :)
    Permidion_Starkrufus_hobart
    It's hard to tell. All the stairs go down, but this is a fairly large ship. Are you going to go down and look?
    LadyRhian said:

It's hard to tell. All the stairs go down, but this is a fairly large ship. Are you going to go down and look?

Yes I am!
    OOC We woud have to tie Alora to the mast for her not to go... And she would just free herself and go anyway :)
    Permidion_Stark
    I'll let the curious sneaky ones to go down first, and follow a few paces behind, with my sling out and at the ready, someone has to keep them alive.
    Okay, which door? The two next to the Captain and Wizard's cabins or the one under the forecastle?
    The door with the Evil behind it!
    I agree!

OOC learning Minsc is affecting me...
    And which one would that be?
    Eeny meeny macca racca,
    Rare ri dominacca,
    Chiccapocca lollipoppa
    Om pom push ....

The middle one.
    Okay, DM's choice. The stairs lead down into a cabin. It appears to fill half os the stern section of this deck, with one bulkhead running along the center line of the ship. Along this bulkhead. leading upwards and forward is the enclosed companionway you came down. At its foot, a door in the other half of the stern section.

In the center of the cabin there is a plain wood table on which stands a pewter flagon and a pewter mug. Beside the table is a wooden chair and over the table, an unlit hooded lantern hanging from a chain. Also hanging from the deck above, at the aft end of the cabin, is a large cage in which there is a parrot, apparently asleep. Next to the porthole hangs a hammock, apparently unoccupied. Beneath it is a brass-bound, wooden sea chest.

This cabin appears to be unoccupied, except for the parrot, of course.
    I'll go in and start by listening at the door to see if I can hear anyone moving about in the next cabin. Then I will check for secret doors.

After that if the parrot hasn't already woken up I will go and talk to him. If he doesn't seem like he is going to peck me I will let him out of his cage so I can check to see if there is anything hidden in the bottom of it.

Finally I will check the sea chest for traps (and ask Imoen to check as well if I don't find any). Then I will see if any of the keys we found fit the lock. If they don't I will attempt to pick the lock and open the chest.
    "Pieces of Eight! Pieces of Eight!" the parrot says, waking up with a squawk. It squawks again, ruffles its feathers, and prepares to go back to sleep. You find a secret door in the back of the cabin, similar to the one you found in the cabin next door, the one with the hidden weapons.

Inside, you see a small figure (larger than Alora) chained up with chains that end in a ring set into the floor. It looks like an elf, save for it having bluish-green skin and green hair. "Help" he whispers in an urgent voice.