Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    And enough to invite Rose Bouquet and some of her friends ;)
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @gorgonzola
    Ok let's not bring the thread in THAT direction. Lest we all taste the wrath of Bigby's Banhammer

Also I think this was already addressed around the beginning of the thread but a suitable amount of time has passed to discuss it again.

Party can carry 100,000 gp without breaking their backs no problem but ask each character to carry 17 different items and you're up the creek without a paddle.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    True, 100K gp should wheight at least a couple of tons, if the gp is a really small coin.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    True, 100K gp should wheight at least a couple of tons, if the gp is a really small coin.

Gold should have a weight, so gems would actually be useful. As it is, gems are pointless except to sell, or get sent to scary places.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Maurvir wrote: »

Gold should have a weight, so gems would actually be useful. As it is, gems are pointless except to sell, or get sent to scary places.

Gold took up an inventory slot and had weight when BG first came out, if I'm remembering right.

Or is it a false memory?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Maurvir wrote: »

Gold took up an inventory slot and had weight when BG first came out, if I'm remembering right.

Or is it a false memory?

im going to go with nay......

but you could put weird things like bandit scalps and gems into your quick item slots

ToTSC fixed that one once it came out

speaking about items ( don't know if this has been mentioned since its been a bit since i've been here )

you can easily fit 16 ankheg shells into your backpack, but can't fit 17 different gems
    edited August 2019
    @ElysianEchoes @sarevok57
    Mandela Effect I'm afraid. But I can explain that

Gold actually did take up a slot if you pickpocketed it off someone but only as long as it took you to click on the gold to add it to your party's gp total.

I don't remember ever being able to put anything other than scrolls or potions (and Boo of course) in your quick item slots.

But see therein lies my point. 16 Ankheg Shells? Sure you can't move put you can fit in your pack 17 different gems? Sorry your pack is full.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2019
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    you can easily fit 16 ankheg shells into your backpack, but can't fit 17 different gems

I installed a mod (I'm afraid I can't remember which one but it may be BGT Tweaks) with a component that allows you to stack Ankheg shells. Now if there is one thing you shouldn't be able to stack it's an ankheg.

@Permidion_Stark
    But boy is it useful!
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I assume we're not literally carrying all our money on our person at all times. I'm pretty sure banks exist in The Realms. They just haven't been implemented as a gameplay mechanics.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @ElysianEchoes @sarevok57
    Mandela Effect I'm afraid. But I can explain that

Gold actually did take up a slot if you pickpocketed it off someone but only as long as it took you to click on the gold to add it to your party's gp total.

indeed, that still happens now

i think what ElysianEchoes was trying to say that your actual total gold took up a slot and weighed an amount, but im pretty sure that has never happened, and you can even add 65535 GP to your inventory and it will still weigh 0, unless you have some sort of mod to do so otherwise
    6mbqyf2d94dt.jpg
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Maybe the gold pieces are really, really tiny...
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    A band of evil adventurers invade the plane of Lunia, kill several Planetars and Knights of Tyr plus two silver dragons. They seemed to be particularly interested in the Scroll of Retribution.

Lunia logic: Nobody notices there's now Tipp-Ex on the Scroll of Retribution.

"Hmmmm, seems legit!" *sends a Planetar and several crusaders to Nashkel to kill a totally harmless, if rather annoying, dude.*
    @Montresor_SP
    Who says the adventurers have to be evil. I invaded Lunia with my CN Dragon Disciple Zaram.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited August 2019
    Ed: I found even more strange the fact that you can pose as Keldorn against a Planetar (As far as I know they have an innate detect evil and discern lies spell always on) Maybe it was not the case in 2e?

If it is the case, the world lost an incredibly good used vehicles seller when you were raised in Candlekeep.
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    every encounter like this;

- comes into beregost
    - meets up with some woman named neera who is being chased by what seems to be baddies
    - uses her assistance to blatantly MURDER 3 people in the streets
    - not a single person bats an eye, no law enforcement to be found, no investigation, no one mentions of this ever

- go into some random poor dudes house, pick a lock on a chest open said chest nothing in it
    - I SERVE THE FLAMING FIST and you will be punished with death, no trial, no tribulation absolutely nothing, just straight death sentence, now feel my hostile flaming fist wrath

- sleep on streets of beregost, flaming fist soldiers wake you up, press the rest icon fast enough and have 20 of them wake you up, where are they all coming from? there's no barracks in this town, in fact there is no flaming fist soldier anywhere to be found except for the teleporting open locked container ones, lol

A sorcerer with Deathspell (requires XP Cap Removal) would have a field-day!
    @sarevok57
    To be fair I don't think anyone sees killing someone who is clearly a Red Wizard of Thay (and said so themselves) as murder. Unless of course we were in Thay which we aren't.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    From what I understand Red Wizards as a whole aren't evil. The Baldur's Gate games just allow us to meet some particularly unsavory members of their organization.

In other Forgotten Realms stuff where you get to meet them they're mostly just eccentric scientists.

That being said, killing the Red Wizards coming after Neera would likely operate under the same logic as killing the assassins who come after Gorion's Ward. If somebody tries to kill you out in the open in the middle of the streets, you seem to be allowed to respond with lethal force, and nobody will make a fuss over it.
    Chronicler wrote: »
    From what I understand Red Wizards as a whole aren't evil. The Baldur's Gate games just allow us to meet some particularly unsavory members of their organization.

In other Forgotten Realms stuff where you get to meet them they're mostly just eccentric scientists.

That being said, killing the Red Wizards coming after Neera would likely operate under the same logic as killing the assassins who come after Gorion's Ward. If somebody tries to kill you out in the open in the middle of the streets, you seem to be allowed to respond with lethal force, and nobody will make a fuss over it.

Well, seriously, you'd at least think they may take some interest and, I don't know, maybe queation you about it?