Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate Logic: Half-orcs can have 1 Intelligence--the same Intelligence score you could see on a skunk or a beetle or a hippo or some other animal--and still speak Common in complete sentences.

I think that person would be far less intelligent than a tardigrade. Survive on the moon without any space-suit... who needs intelligence?

in the DnD universe, insects dont have an intelligence score, although i know a tardigrade is not an insect i would bet it would be classified as not having intelligence
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2019
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate Logic: Half-orcs can have 1 Intelligence--the same Intelligence score you could see on a skunk or a beetle or a hippo or some other animal--and still speak Common in complete sentences.

I think that person would be far less intelligent than a tardigrade. Survive on the moon without any space-suit... who needs intelligence?

in the DnD universe, insects dont have an intelligence score, although i know a tardigrade is not an insect i would bet it would be classified as not having intelligence

Wisdom of 18 though? Survival skills baby!

Edit: On second thought, maybe 25 constitution. I doubt they could hold a philosophical discussion for long...
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I fail to see how being able to speak a proper and fluent common helps at hitting jon's head with my big flail, but maybe is because my mum rolled for me a low int score when my character was created in the strange rpg that is called life.
    :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The idea a paladin can take scalps and still remain a paladin was always hard to believe.
    edited August 2019
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    I fail to see how being able to speak a proper and fluent common helps at hitting jon's head with my big flail, but maybe is because my mum rolled for me a low int score when my character was created in the strange rpg that is called life.
    :)

No misspellings. That's either a testament to spell-check (doubtful in my experience) or a testament to your mum's child-raising skills! ;)

Edit: Sorry, you said 'is' instead of 'it's'. You must be a half-orc...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You gotta do something to make the unarmed and unarmored guy not suck at fighting!
    edited August 2019
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Monks train their body, and gain seemingly supernatural physical abilities.

Fighters train in the use of a weapon, becoming supremely skilled in that sense.

Is there anything actually stopping somebody from doing both though? Like it kind of seems like a no brainer to gain the seemingly supernatural physical abilities, then use them to swing a sword.

Like, if you're so inclined you you can be a Grandmaster Weapons User an an Archmage at the same time, but I guess for some reason monks and fighters don't mesh well together.

They can swing katana and scimitars, just not 'Western' swords. Makes sense if you trained in Kathmandu, but not so much if you trained in Candlekeep!

Baldur's Gate logic: Monks are so highly trained in the martial arts that they can't make their bare hands non-lethal. You can never knock somebody out, only kill them. Even Bruce Lee didn't kill everybody he hit!
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited August 2019
    They can swing katana and scimitars, just not 'Western' swords. Makes sense if you trained in Kathmandu, but not so much if you trained in Candlekeep!

Monks can learn to use western swords just fine; their proficiency list is all of the one-handed thief weapons. It's just Rasaad who starts out knowing how to use katanas and scimitars, and he's an immigrant.

Baldur's gate logic: a monk's martial arts training can improve their ability to bite and claw people when transformed into a wolf, but not to use manufactured weapons. They get bonus APR with fists or shapeshifted natural attacks, but not with swords. (Because of this, the cloak "Relair's Mistake" is the best Monk weapon in BG1; it's a magic weapon that gets up to 3 APR depending on level.)
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Monks train their body, and gain seemingly supernatural physical abilities.

Fighters train in the use of a weapon, becoming supremely skilled in that sense.

Is there anything actually stopping somebody from doing both though? Like it kind of seems like a no brainer to gain the seemingly supernatural physical abilities, then use them to swing a sword.

Well, to master a weapon, you have to be supremely good at using your body. A sword is but an extension of your arm, so you need to know how to recruit the correct muscles in your back, chest and shoulders to deliver a good blow. Not to mention the general hand-body co-ordination and the footwork needed for maneuvering a combat situation.

I think it goes without saying that any martial arts master would be able to pick up a weapon and be pretty good at it off the bat. Their body mastery and kinesthetic intuition would make up for the lack of specific training in that weapon skill. And if they went ahead and trained in that weapon, they would master it quite fast, much faster than your run-of-the-mill soldier.

Take the real life example of the gymnast and the weightlifter. The gymnast trains almost exclusively with their bodyweight, yet the skills they accrue can easily made use of in the weight room. A weightlifter with a 400lbs bench press, on the other hand, would not be able to do handstand pushups straight away, because their pure brawn does not make up for their lack of bodyweight skills.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @ThacoBell
    Yup. Just takes time.

Also I think in later editions you can basically multi class whatever you want.

3rd Edition Elminster has levels in Fighter Mage Cleric Thief and Archmage

My current pathfinder character has levels in Bard and Rogue.
    Paladin/Monks are quite popular in 3rd edition
    mlnevese wrote: »

I follow the righteous path, unless Helm orders me to backhand you!

I could make a terrible pun about that. But I would hate myself forever about that so I just won't.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

I could make a terrible pun about that. But I would hate myself forever about that so I just won't.

I will hate you forever if you don't! I LOVE terrible puns! Pleeeease post it.

I really love the monk/druid multi. Especially with Sacred fist if you got PRC. Feels even more druidic to not even use wood to bash enemies, just your fists. IIRC the Sacred fist becomes a plant or something in the end instead of a.. whatever it is monks get at level 20 (planar?)
    You know it's normally day on the forum when the Baldur's Gate Logic becomes hoplessly derailed.

That being said, I might as well join the party.

Helm sees all, know that and be judged by the almighty game of Fronthand Backhand.
    Skatan wrote: »

No.

No.

Pretty please???
    Wait, what if there WAS no pun? What if this is all an elaborate Martian ruse to draw our attention while he kidnaps our cattle and womenfolk?

Or worse, our cats!
    @Balrog99
    Or worse our gazebos.

How will we defend ourselves against the Barbarians? How I ask you?

Sure you don't think it yet but just wait until the Alien Barbarians show up at our front doors, then you'll be begging for Old Johnny Gazebo to have tried just a bit harder to defend his property.
    @Balrog99
    Or worse our gazebos.

How will we defend ourselves against the Barbarians? How I ask you?

Sure you don't think it yet but just wait until the Alien Barbarians show up at our front doors, then you'll be begging for Old Johnny Gazebo to have tried just a bit harder to defend his property.

How many cats can you store in a gazebo? This could potentially be an absolute 'cat'astrophe!!!
    Are you all insane? We would never mess with a gazebo. Let them be!
    @mlnevese
    Yes begone foul creature or we shall feed ye to the gazebos.
    Wait, what if there WAS no pun? What if this is all an elaborate Martian ruse to draw our attention while he kidnaps our cattle and womenfolk?

Uh oh.. My spider-sense indicate a lot of probing coming!
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

Uh oh.. My spider-sense indicate a lot of probing coming!
    spider-sense?
    which mod are you using please? when polymorphed into spider form i don't get that ability, i just get a strong desire to feed myself with some insects i would never eat while in my natural form.