Skip to content

I don't get why . . . ? (Share things about the games that perplex you)

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    sarevok57 wrote: »

here is my hypothesis;

And a damn fine hypothesis it is. Thank you. That sounds totally plausible to me. I can now stop worrying about it.

• VerticorVerticor Member Posts: 119
    semiticgod wrote: »
    My mentor told me it was standard procedure for him to administer the stick personally. I remember it very clearly because he said it had to be on his birthday.

Why would my mentor lie to me about something like that?

No idea. I do know that even Minsc, dense as he is, asks Anomen why the members of the Radiant Heart have to ride the pole of righteousness. Even he knows about the stick.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Paladin to stick ratio seems to be 2-1. Anomen, definitalel got a stick up there. Keldorn? Not so much. Guy enjoys a rude limerick way too much. Mazzy (yes she counts) nope. SHe just likes to help people.
  • VerticorVerticor Member Posts: 119
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Paladin to stick ratio seems to be 2-1. Anomen, definitalel got a stick up there. Keldorn? Not so much. Guy enjoys a rude limerick way too much. Mazzy (yes she counts) nope. SHe just likes to help people.

Anomen is a Paladin wanna-be. Those raving fanatics are worse than any "holier-than-thou"-crusader lit with the flame of righteousness. The size of the stick up their bum-bum is anywhere from a 4x4 and upwards.

In Anomen's case he's so impaired by that thing that his Dexterity is a flat 10.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I don't get why anyone in the IE's is using a carriage, ride on a mount, or any other kind of land-based vehicle of movement. Every single person is apparantly channeling their inner Forrest Gump.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Not like walking through bandit infested world maps would bode any better for common folks. At least horses have the potential of outrunning highway robbers. :/
  • BelacRLJBelacRLJ Member Posts: 51
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Nimran wrote: »
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Actually, I don't really get why bards don't have the same weapon restrictions as thieves. I mean how do you pick someone's pocket when you are holding a halberd?

Bards can use almost any weapon because they are jacks of all trades. And big two-handed weapons are fitting for some bards like skalds.

I don't mind skalds using them (they are after all rubbish at picking pockets) but your common-or-garden bard of the traveling minstrel variety doesn't seem likely to be wandering around with a great big axe over his shoulder.

It doubles as a lute.

How does a big axe function as a lute? By playing air lute?

Pretty sure an axe would function as a guitar.

https://noviceguitar.com/why-guitar-is-called-axe-learn-the-true-origins-of-the-etymology
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Fission slimes: Attempt to attack summoned Balor, die to its innate fireshield and the firestorm it casts. No, that infestation wouldn't beat the tanar'ri, since enough of them use fire.

For something that might even be possible in-game...

Fission Slime (from the Cave of the Dead) versus Balthazar's endlessly respawning mercenary army.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    jmerry wrote: »
    Fission slimes: Attempt to attack summoned Balor, die to its innate fireshield and the firestorm it casts. No, that infestation wouldn't beat the tanar'ri, since enough of them use fire.

What balors? Demogorgon doesn’t summon balors, does he? (Admittedly, it’s been a while since I bothered with that fight.)

I think Ascension or SCS Demmy does.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    even non ascension or non scs demogorgon uses implosion which im pretty sure does fire damage, so fission slimes would be toast, literally
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    edited November 2019
    Not toast
    cvjx07bp11aa.jpeg
    But still tasty
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

What balors? Demogorgon doesn’t summon balors, does he? (Admittedly, it’s been a while since I bothered with that fight.)

I think Ascension or SCS Demmy does.

also tactics mod demy does.

fun fact i fought only once the unmodded demon king, in recent times, but he went down so fast that i did not even noticed that the balors did not spawn in vanilla.
    to kill the ever spawning baloors is one of my preferred ways to get extra xp, that in my book is completely legittimate one as i have to fight hard to get it (and to perform something is the way people get experienced also in RL).
    but i just discovered a new xp source:
    Balthazar's endlessly respawning mercenary army.
    even if is quite late in the game, while with the baloors i had reached the xp cap in SoA with a party of 6, it can be helpful for the few last tough battles of the game.

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I don't get why druids can't use bows?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2020
    A target will bleed if it's hit with a piercing, slashing, or crushing blow anyway... so, the rule books need another excuse...
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited September 2020
    I don't get anything about Druid weapon restrictions. Bows? No, spears? Yes. Longsword? Nope. Scimitar? Why not!?

Weren't druids allowed sickles and/or scythes? Maybe the curve in the blade makes it all 'naturey' somehow...
  • AngulimalaAngulimala Member Posts: 82
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Weren't druids allowed sickles and/or scythes? Maybe the curve in the blade makes it all 'naturey' somehow...

I remember something about druid weapons being associated with the hunt, with farmwork, with the moon. Maybe scimitar was a replacement for sickle. But why no bows, those are very much earthy and indigenous, that baffles me.