Skip to content

Diablo IV(4)

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I like MrLlama alot, but a couple of things:

1.) Potions being on cooldown isn't going away. The alternative is limited-used flasks (like Path of Exile) or infinite chugging (like Diablo 1 and 2). What we don't want is the later, because it essentially makes the game a potion chugging simulator. Anything can be overcome from health and mana perspective from buying potions. Mana doesn't matter at all because you can have an inventory filled with blue vials.

2.) Last Epoch will be worth mentioning when I can run a game that looks THAT bad (which I don't care about) at more than 30 fps (for the record, I like the classes and skills, but it has a long way to go).

3.) I don't think people realize how early in development this is. What they are showing you is a fraction of one area with only 60% of the classes that will be in at launch. The good news is, the gameplay aspect of moment to moment fighting is already top-notch, which is the most important thing. Now comes fleshing out what is going to be a huge open world and the systems.

4.) Level-scaling the whole world was the best thing that ever happened to Diablo 3, and there was no way they were going back on it. Diablo 4 is going to be totally open-ended from jump street, and I fully support that decision.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    I prefer the limited flaskus, eastus flask on dark souls, regen over time(d1/d2), etc over cooldowns and always hated level scaling. Level scaling is awful. Imagine that someone is a complete noob and is with problems. Why he should't be allowed to seek an easier content? And why a player who wanna challenge should't be able to engage harder mobs?
    I prefer the limited flaskus, eastus flask on dark souls, regen over time(d1/d2), etc over cooldowns and always hated level scaling. Level scaling is awful. Imagine that someone is a complete noob and is with problems. Why he should't be allowed to seek an easier content? And why a player who wanna challenge should't be able to engage harder mobs?

That depends on what we're talking about. If you're talking about a game with a clear narrative progression then you are entirely correct. But Diablo isn't that anymore. It's repeatable content MEANT to be done over and over. They don't want sections of the game obsolete. They want all of it viable since the game and loot hunt (with Seasons) is meant to never end. In this case, you can go anywhere you want and fight demons.

For instance, in Diablo 2, you are basically doing a half-dozen things in Hell difficulty to farm gear. Farming Mephisto, farming Chaos Sanctuary, farming The Pits, farming the Countess, and farming Baal. Throw in Lower Kurast as well for Runes. Which means well over 80% of the game is obsolete. Now, again, if you are simply playing for the story through normal, this doesn't matter. But the game is focused on being playable in perpetuity.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

That depends on what we're talking about. If you're talking about a game with a clear narrative progression then you are entirely correct. But Diablo isn't that anymore. It's repeatable content MEANT to be done over and over. They don't want sections of the game obsolete. They want all of it viable since the game and loot hunt (with Seasons) is meant to never end. In this case, you can go anywhere you want and fight demons.

For instance, in Diablo 2, you are basically doing a half-dozen things in Hell difficulty to farm gear. Farming Mephisto, farming Chaos Sanctuary, farming The Pits, farming the Countess, and farming Baal. Throw in Lower Kurast as well for Runes. Which means well over 80% of the game is obsolete. Now, again, if you are simply playing for the story through normal, this doesn't matter. But the game is focused on being playable in perpetuity.

This is post LoD D2. Some people(like myself) prefer classic exactly because gear is less overpowered.

Diablo is much more than killing monsters and farming gear. At least should be. See Mr LlamaSC, he played the normal/nightmare/hell countless of times. In fact, on Diablo 1 one of the challenges was "beyond naked", where you use CURSED gear to make the game harder.

As for potion
    • Having a time to drink the potion like DkS makes sense
    • Having the potion heal over time like D2 makes sense
    • But being able to transport the potion content instant to your body insta heal but only do that each "X" seconds makes no sense.

CAn you immagine it in a novel?

"why he died? din't he had a potion capable of healing even mutilations?"
    "yes but since he had already took a potion few arbitrary seconds before and could't drink it by no reason"
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    The (4) in the title, implying that people are unable to understand basic roman numerals, really makes me ashamed for the current state of our society.
    I have nothing to add to the thread itself, I just needed to point that out.
    edited November 2019
    It seems to me they aren't going to go outside the box on these classes. Now that the Druid has been announced, I have to imagine alot of people (like myself) are clamoring for the Amazon to come back, and they absolutely have to have a ranged class at launch. They also need a summoning class, and there is no way the Necromancer isn't making another comeback. It's too popular (so much so that it was basically made in D3 from pure fan demand). But they also need a holy warrior. And a stealth/agility class. Which makes me think it's best if they simply roll out the Diablo 2 roster. The more off the wall choices in D3 like the Witch Doctor and Demon Hunter were a mixed bag. My guess is Barb, Sorc, Druid, Amazon and Necro at launch, with Paladin and Assassin in the expansion.
    Dev6 wrote: »
    The (4) in the title, implying that people are unable to understand basic roman numerals, really makes me ashamed for the current state of our society.
    I have nothing to add to the thread itself, I just needed to point that out.

No, i putted IV and 4 for those who use the search in the forum, so they can find this thread easier.
    It seems to me they aren't going to go outside the box on these classes. Now that the Druid has been announced, I have to imagine alot of people (like myself) are clamoring for the Amazon to come back, and they absolutely have to have a ranged class at launch. They also need a summoning class, and there is no way the Necromancer isn't making another comeback. It's too popular (so much so that it was basically made in D3 from pure fan demand). But they also need a holy warrior. And a stealth/agility class. Which makes me think it's best if they simply roll out the Diablo 2 roster. The more off the wall choices in D3 like the Witch Doctor and Demon Hunter were a mixed bag. My guess is Barb, Sorc, Druid, Amazon and Necro at launch, with Paladin and Assassin in the expansion.

Yes, about necromancer. I will love necro but
    • No starting the game with one skeleton and completing with one. A progression of then would be nice
    • No skills scalling with weapon damage
    • More CURSES, like Attract, Iron Maiden and etc
    • Corpse explosion should scale with corpse max hp, not my weapon
    • Revive should last longer than 10 seconds
    • No jRPG androgynous looking necromancer
    • Iron golem should be back, but no bone golem. They look like a big skeleton. Golems should be pure innorganical mater animated

About D3 Witch Doctor, is just the D2 necro without any cool spell, curse of pet. With boring pets.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Necro in the expansion. You already explained that the players will pay more for it. Paladin is too vanilla to be relegated to expansion.
    deltago wrote: »
    Necro in the expansion. You already explained that the players will pay more for it. Paladin is too vanilla to be relegated to expansion.

Correct me if i an wrong, but the story is not that the gates of heaven are closed? So IMO if paladin comes, should be a blackguard like char.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I've never played any of the Diablo games but thought this looked interesting enough to try ... until learning of having to play online in a persistent world even if you are playing single-player. :(
    Kamigoroshi
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    kanisatha wrote: »
    I've never played any of the Diablo games but thought this looked interesting enough to try ... until learning of having to play online in a persistent world even if you are playing single-player. :(

D1 and d2 are not like that. Although D2 was certainly patched and optimized for mp mostly later on, but still a pretty good singleplayer experience.
    kanisatha
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    kanisatha wrote: »

Play Diablo 2. It's a very cool experience! https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/59698/diablo-minimal-and-no-reload-thread-spoilers/
    kanisatha
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited November 2019
    All this talk made me reinstall Diablo 2, and having to start from scratch, since all my stuff was on my old computer now lost.

Also paid 10 dollars to Blizzard because while I HAVE my discs, I have lost my LoD CD key (still had it for my D2 classic discs). And registered both on Battlenet, so I guess I'll never have to buy it again. (I actually have THREE original copies of Diablo 1).
    edited November 2019
    Quickblade wrote: »
    All this talk made me reinstall Diablo 2, and having to start from scratch, since all my stuff was on my old computer now lost.

Also paid 10 dollars to Blizzard because while I HAVE my discs, I have lost my LoD CD key (still had it for my D2 classic discs). And registered both on Battlenet, so I guess I'll never have to buy it again. (I actually have THREE original copies of Diablo 1).

Thankfully, the game is totally budget priced at this point. Years ago I actually did register my old purchased at Wal-Mart CD Keys with Battlenet, and thus have always been able to download it. I still have the discs in a drawer, the problem being my laptop doesn't even have a disc drive as they are obsolete. Moreover, the problem with the Battlenet download is even though it is the latest version (1.14d) I think which makes it completely playable out of the box on Windows 10, PlugY only supports up to 1.13d, and it's a nearly essential mod for single-player unless you have no interest in collecting lots of gear (because the stash space in Diablo 2 is essentially non-existent, and the one thing that is without question 1000% better in D3). Thankfully, it isn't too hard to find a 1.12 installer on the internet, upgrade to Patch 1.13d (also easy to find) and use your CD key on the older version, which works fine. I have all of these stored on an external drive if anyone needs them.
    JuliusBorisov
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Quickblade wrote: »

Thankfully, the game is totally budget priced at this point. Years ago I actually did register my old purchased at Wal-Mart CD Keys with Battlenet, and thus have always been able to download it. I still have the discs in a drawer, the problem being my laptop doesn't even have a disc drive as they are obsolete. Moreover, the problem with the Battlenet download is even though it is the latest version (1.14d) I think which makes it completely playable out of the box on Windows 10, PlugY only supports up to 1.13d, and it's a nearly essential mod for single-player unless you have no interest in collecting lots of gear (because the stash space in Diablo 2 is essentially non-existent, and the one thing that is without question 1000% better in D3). Thankfully, it isn't too hard to find a 1.12 installer on the internet, upgrade to Patch 1.13d (also easy to find) and use your CD key on the older version, which works fine. I have all of these stored on an external drive if anyone needs them.

Yeah, that's essentially what I did.

I use Plugy, but not because of stash space (I previously used hero editor to import/export items), but in order to have Ladder-only features (runewords, events) in single-player.
    edited November 2019
    I will try complete Diablo 1(belzebub mod) and Diablo 2 - LoD as a necromancer but with a diferential. Will be a beyond naked On D1/Naked on D2 run. I really miss when diablo was a ARPG, not barbie dressing/gear playing games...

But unfortunately not now. I have some important tests soon. But i recommend Belzebub for d1 fans.
    edited November 2019
    In the month of January each year, you can essentially play Diablo 1 in Diablo 3 during the "Darkening of Tristram" event. They recreated the whole 16 levels in the D3 engine, downgraded the graphic quality in that area of the game, and even slowed your walking speed like the old days. Though they had to reskin D3 enemies, everything that is in the original labyrinth in there. And when I played it two years ago when it first came out, I became even more convinced that everything about the original Diablo and it's atmosphere is the result of Matt Ulemen's music. Which is also included.

Which brings me back to Diablo 3, which I am replaying the campaign this week getting ready for the new Season with new Monk and Crusader sets. The whole "not dark enough" thing is, essentially, horseshit. There are severed heads in buckets in the torture chamber. There are human sacrifices going on in Act 2. When you are heading towards the end of Act 3, you see massive beings shackled in eternal torment. I agree Act IV and Heaven initially is a little on the bright side, but once you reach the later part, you are seeing impaled angels. And the expansion, Reaper of Souls, is even more on point. There are points where you are literally walking over ground that is made of nothing but bodies. And while I agree the D3 interation of Diablo himself is not the best in the series by a long shot, Malthael is a SUPERB final boss that is a legit challenge to the point where on any difficulty level before end-game, you almost need to lower it one degree to even beat him. Moreover, the areas added most recently for free, the Shrouded Moors and the Temple of the Firstborn are even more graphic still.

When people say Diablo 3 isn't dark enough, they aren't talking about anything but the light radius. And the other reason is the same reason the original Night of the Living Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre are so effectively scary and no modern variation on them is. It's because they are so low budget. The lack of professional polish is what makes them seem real. Fact is, Diablo 2 was not a graphically up to par game even at the time. It's, in a sense, lo-fi. That, and, again, the music. But Diablo 3 is in no way "not dark". I will agree it's spell effects are a bit a fireworks show, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the subject matter.
    JuliusBorisovArtonaSkatanBelleSorciere
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @jjstraka34 - I agree, but I would add movement to that equation. In previous games you could at best run, and it was battle limited resource - there was always the chance of running out of stamina, and getting cornered by monsters. There were some abilities that allowed you to travel through battlefield more easily (like barbarian jump), but they cost mana. Overall, I always found those game pretty tense, because you could get ganged up and die, especially underground.
    Meanwhile in D3 it seems like almost every ability either pushed enemy back, or lets you move. Your control over battlefield is stronger, and enemies feel less "sturdy" to me. It's easier to push them around, to move around, and so on.
    JuliusBorisovSorcererV1ct0r
    edited November 2019
    you can essentially play Diablo 1 in Diablo 3 during the "Darkening of Tristram" event. They recreated the whole 16 levels in the D3 engine, downgraded the graphic quality in that area of the game, and even slowed your walking speed like the old days.(1) Though they had to reskin D3 enemies, everything that is in the original labyrinth in there. And when I played it two years ago when it first came out, I became even more convinced that everything about the original Diablo and it's atmosphere is the result of Matt Ulemen's music.(2) Which is also included.

Which brings me back to Diablo 3, which I am replaying the campaign this week getting ready for the new Season with new Monk and Crusader sets. The whole "not dark enough" thing is, essentially, horseshit. There are severed heads in buckets in the torture chamber. There are human sacrifices going on in Act 2. When you are heading towards the end of Act 3, you see massive beings shackled in eternal torment.(3) I

The lack of professional polish is what makes them seem real. Fact is, Diablo 2 was not a graphically up to par game even at the time(4). It's, in a sense, lo-fi. That, and, again, the music. But Diablo 3 is in no way "not dark". I will agree it's spell effects are a bit a fireworks show, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the subject matter.(5)

That is a lot of points to "countermake", but lets go

1 - Only because you have the dungeons of D1 in D3, doesn't means that you are playing D3. A sorcerer still become better at casting firebolts by finding a bigger and sharper axe instead of reading tomes, the game still has cooldowns, you still limited to your action bar. Can i do a naked/beyond naked challenge on Darkening of Tristam?

2 - And immersive sound effects, immersive more realistic armor skins, better game mechanics, etc. I can enjoy D1 without any music

3 - Everything with wow-like cartoon graphics

Armor in Diablo 3
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net%2F514d00f60323969c3e1eaa242f8c34c8-1200-80.png&f=1&nofb=1

Armor in Diablo 1
    warrior_small.gifTower_Shield_%28Diablo_I%29.gif?version=9a0905c1ac34a56d7fd71d86d0971dcaFull_Plate_Mail_%28Diablo_I%29.gif?version=9d928d767e624b1ff0d3998244cd01c8

Compare to Dark Souls Armor, even the most fantasy ones
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdarksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com%2Ffile%2FDark-Souls-2%2FArt-Armor-Warrior.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I need to maintain my posts PG 13, so no direct images about it. But compare also Succubi in Diablo 1 with Succubi on Diablo 3. Compare Butcher in 1 with on 3.

4 - Yes, but D2 still was very successful for his time. D3 sold well by brand recognition.

5 - Read again my points. Diablo 3 has violence but is cartoonish violence.

edit : armor is more realistic on diablo 1 MECHANIC wise too. Armor deflect blows on D1. Something missing on D3.
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
    I've literally played thousands of hours of both games, and I see absolutely no resemblance between the graphics in any way. If you want to make the argument the cooldowns and resource generation are similar that is one thing, but the graphics simply aren't.
    JuliusBorisovBelleSorciere
    edited November 2019
    The concept art for some of the Sets looks amazing:

BelleSorciere
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2019
    I've literally played thousands of hours of both games, and I see absolutely no resemblance between the graphics in any way. If you want to make the argument the cooldowns and resource generation are similar that is one thing, but the graphics simply aren't.

I think the point was to illustrate how D1 armors, similar to that Dark souls example look closer to what historical armors looked like. Unlike D3s overstylized over-the-top looking armors. But don't try to misrepresent the point he was trying to make..

Whether or not that is a better look for the ominous dark feeling Diablo I feel it's supposed to have.. Well there probably isn't an objective answer to that.
    SorcererV1ct0r
    Well people will be happy to know based on the concept art that at least two of the Sorceress sets in D4 seem to be based on Yuria of Londor DS3 and the Desert Pyromancers from DS2.
    edited November 2019
    My point was JUST that is not only because you have a similar dungeon design that you have a similar gameplay of D3's event to D1... D1 is much more than dungeons. Is a true ARPG and despite costin US$10,00 on GOG, is one of the most sold GOG games.

Look to the decline.

Diablo IV looks like a incline in relation to D3 but still a decline compared to any pre wow game that i know.
    Ludwig_II
    edited November 2019
    There is still hope for a Diablo 2 Remaster if we simply go over Blizzard's own actions and the state of their development teams:

#1.) Blizzard has given the games they clearly have no intention of ever messing with to GOG. While there is certainly an audience for Diablo and Warcraft 1 and 2, the fact is they all date back to the MS-DOS or VERY early Windows-era, and their gameplay is frankly too simplistic to justify a remaster in any of their cases. Even Warcraft 2, which is leaps and bounds more complex than it predecessor, has factions that are essentially carbon copies of each other, with literally the only differences being the spells of the Paladin/Ogre Mage and the Mage/Death Knight. It wasn't until Starcraft that the races in Blizzard's RTS games came with the distinct tactical yet balanced differences. Point being, Diablo 2 was not given to GOG to sell.

#2.) Blizzard has redone the icons in their games in a kind of stylized look for their modern launcher to fit it's aesthetics. Diablo 2 is purchasable on Blizzard's store FROM this app, but it is not able to be LAUNCHED from the app because it's servers run on the old Battlenet client. Despite this, however, Blizzard HAS given Diablo 2 an icon in the store that is in the exact style of the other games that ARE accessible through their launcher, which seems like a small nugget of information, but may not be.

#3.) The team that is remastering Blizzard's classic titles is simply not likely big enough to tackle more than one of them at a time, and they have spent the last year working on Warcraft III: Reforged, and before that, they were focused on Starcraft. The release of Warcraft III: Reforged in imminent (I would be shocked if it wasn't a Q1 release next year) and once it is out, I can't fathom why they WOULDN'T turn to Diablo 2, with the goal of announcing it at next year's Blizzcon. The fact is Diablo IV is a least two years away, and providing a halfway point stop-gap by releasing Diablo 2 Remastered to tide people over for the year before the big release would be a license to print money.

WoW Classic and the success of the Starcraft and Warcraft III reboots have no doubt proven to Blizzard that there is an endless goldmine to be plundered if they cater to the nostalgia for their most beloved titles. It just doesn't seem feasible that the remaster teams wouldn't focus on Diablo 2 in the fever-pitch lead-up to IV. But we'll know within 12 months. If we don't hear anything by next November, then I think you can rule it out, but there is still a good chance it may happen.
    SorcererV1ct0rJuliusBorisovBelleSorciere
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Still waiting for a reboot of The Lost Vikings myself. The first and last franchise in where farting vikings could fly.
    BallpointMan
    Interesting. I would love to see D2 in D4's engine but my fear is. If Blizzard decides to "change" and "balance" thing. Will be interesting to see IF people will play more D2 remaster or D3/D4.... I an honestly a HUGE fan of Blizzard NORTH but there aren't a single game from Blizzard Irvine who i liked.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    WoW Classic and the success of the Starcraft and Warcraft III reboots have no doubt proven to Blizzard that there is an endless goldmine to be plundered if they cater to the nostalgia for their most beloved titles. It just doesn't seem feasible that the remaster teams wouldn't focus on Diablo 2 in the fever-pitch lead-up to IV. But we'll know within 12 months. If we don't hear anything by next November, then I think you can rule it out, but there is still a good chance it may happen.

I want to preface this by saying that I think you're right - but playing devil's advocate:

One argument against pushing out a D2 remaster is the fear that players will abandon D3 (and potentially, D4 when it comes out) for D2. That would be a pretty rough hit/look for Blizzard.

I still think the pros outweigh the cons, especially in terms of the money they could make... but D2 remaster would be different than Warcraft 3: reforged and SC1's remaster.

As a total side note - I never played a huge amount of D2. I did play quite a bit, but it wasnt exactly a staple of my childhood. I consider D3 to be the superior product by and large.
    edited November 2019

I want to preface this by saying that I think you're right - but playing devil's advocate:

One argument against pushing out a D2 remaster is the fear that players will abandon D3 (and potentially, D4 when it comes out) for D2. That would be a pretty rough hit/look for Blizzard.

I still think the pros outweigh the cons, especially in terms of the money they could make... but D2 remaster would be different than Warcraft 3: reforged and SC1's remaster.

As a total side note - I never played a huge amount of D2. I did play quite a bit, but it wasnt exactly a staple of my childhood. I consider D3 to be the superior product by and large.

I mean, they are still supporting Diablo 3, but it's minimal at this point. Essentially, new Season themes and new sets for each class (starting with the Monk and Crusader very soon). The Sets are actually kind of a big deal, as they are the focus of your playstyle for months at a time. And adding 1 more each brings the total number of class sets to a whopping 35. Essentially meaning that if you are willing to give them all a go, you won't run out of things to do anytime soon.

The problem is that while Diablo 3 is in a loving type of maintenance mode, Path of Exile is set to reveal their big "4.0" patch within the month, and it's meant to directly compete with Diablo IV. And they aim to win that battle. And if all we see for the next 2 years is a handful of pieces of new gear every 3 months in Diablo 3, they are going to cede the ground the Grinding Gear completely. Diablo 2 would instantly recall scores of players from that game if it was on a new, more stable server structure with modern graphics.
    BallpointManJuliusBorisovBelleSorciere
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    The concept art for some of the Sets looks amazing:

Lol those pauldrons