Skip to content

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    I am wondering if Edwin is the only mage who is around through the entire trilogy (More or less).

Have mods introduced other mages who are there from start to finish? (More or less)

I think that there is a Xan mod for BG2. Any others?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Neera as well.
    Imoen if you dual her in bg1.
    Xan via his own mod.
    Dynaheir I think in tortured souls.
    Wasn't there a larger mod that also let Xzar join? Questpack at least allows him to survive the bird thing.
    I've been looking at the Virtue Mod and am wondering to what extent it is available for EE. If anyone knows, please inform me.

I read that if this mod is installed, doing evil things will affect your alignment adversely. Does doing good things similarly affect alignment?
    I do not know if it works on EE.

The alignment can change quite dynamic throughout the game. However, only rangers and paladins will suffer from the alignment changes. It is a very nice flavour mod.
    Wise_Grimwald
    Could an evil Character bcome good by making the right choices?
    I don't remember anymore.
    I have entered Dragonspear from below, defeated Hephernan who ran away. Aquired the crown of lies, Robe of the Netheril and the armour hidden under the stone. I have set the necromancer free and he seemed to think that I should be able to open the door. The only problem is that I can't.

I tried to save the game whereupon it crashed. What next?

Last save is when I went up the lift.

PS I haven't been to Dragonspear exterior. I haven't used BWOOSH either. Do I need to?
    edited December 2019
    Could an evil Character bcome good by making the right choices?
    lroumen wrote: »
    I don't remember anymore.

The read-me isn't clear on that one.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited December 2019
    Virtue is likely to severely conflict with mod added npcs. If you want to use it then I suggest you do so on the original engine with very few other mods.
    edited December 2019
    I have started a new game with three Tiefling who are all Lawful Good followers of Kelemvor.
    I looked up stats on Google and discovered that they should have +1 Intelligence and +2 Charisma and that there were various spells that they should also have. Am I correct in this?

I then rolled the stats as a half-elf and used EE-Keeper to alter race and attributes.

I would have thought that there should be some drawbacks. Can anyone enlighten me?
    I don't know how to give the innate spells that they should have for being Tiefling.
    If anyone has any information to help me get it right before I start, I would be grateful.

In the information for a new Subrace mod I find this information:

Tiefling - Infernal
    Bonuses:
    15% Cold Resistance
    15% Electricity Resistance
    15% Fire Resistance
    10% Hide in Shadow
    Infravision
    1/day May cast "Blindness" (70% chance to blind target)
    (Change skin color to Brown)

Penalties:
    -1 Reputation
    -10% XP

However in the old FinnJO mod I find this information:

TIEFLING: The infernal counterpart to aasimar, tieflings are humans with a hint of the
    diabolical in their bloodline. Though their appearance is mostly human, they often have
    telltale signs that belie their ancestry. Tieflings usually have dusky skin and dark or
    reddish hair. Though many sport small horns, cat eyes, or other bizarre features, most
    tieflings try to hide their abnormalities from humans.
    - ADVANTAGES: +1 to Intelligence, +10 Stealth, +1 to Dexterity, 25% to Cold, Fire, and
    Electrical Resistances, can cast Blindness 1/Day and Infravision.
    - DISADVANTAGES: -1 to Charisma, and -10% experience modifier.

And elsewhere in Planescape I find this:

Tiefling +1 Int and Cha; -1 Str and Wis

Which is correct if any for BG1/BG2 EE?
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Tieflings didn't appear in the core 2nd edition reference books, so it's not surprising that there is no agreement on how they should be implemented. How about taking Haer'Dalis as a model given that shows the game designers' intention for tieflings within Baldur's Gate, i.e. 50% cold resistance, 25% fire and electricity and 15% physical?

If you'd prefer to use 3rd edition as a base, then you could use the implementation from IWD2 - see here for a summary.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
    edited December 2019
    @Grond0 Thanks for quick reply. I was thinking of editing the Sirene chr files in Keeper but using Haer'Dalis as a model could be better. Only problem is knowing whether or not to change the starting stats.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Grond0
    I am wondering to what extent the Indira mod is compatible with a SoD installation.
    I presume that there will be no Indira banters in the SoD section, but is she playable?
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    How do you people usually beat Firkraag?
    Or do you avoid fighting him in a no-reload run?

I'm doing a casual run with a full party (with reloads for charname death, trying some mods, and started in BG2) and find that he absolutely would have ended a no-reload. Maybe my mistake was just trying to fight him before spellhold. I don't remember him being *that* difficult! He just kills my people too quickly. But most of us are only level 10, maybe that's the problem?
    JuliusBorisovNeverusedAerakar
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    I always fight him in chapter 6 (I play with SCS).
    semiticgoddessArviaJuliusBorisov
    Thank you. That was more or less what I did.

The dungeon itself was okay, with me being an undead hunter.

I think it was really a question of low level. My cleric didn't have enough spell slots yet to have Chaotic Commands more than twice, and although I had my people fan out, he dispelled some of them, and then it's actually a matter of how much damage you can deal and take at the same time...
    The Shadow Dragon was no problem, but next time I'll leave Firkraag until chapter 6, also better because I'll have Imoen back. Two mages are better than one. I just wanted Carsomyr and the scales so badly o:) .
    JuliusBorisov
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 303
    Neverused wrote: »
    I also wait until later: the dungeon itself is really, really unfriendly to lower leveled and underequipped people, with the vampire room itself being terrifying without permanent NPP from either the Amulet of Power or the Improved Mace of Disruption.

For Firkraag himself, and all dragons really, the key element is spacing and appropriate buffs. For Firkraag, defensively you need Remove Fear, Chaotic Commands on every key member to avoid Wing Buffet, Protection from fire (arcane lasts significantly longer). Mages can buff with Mass Invisibility, but not 100% necessary. Offensively, Improved Haste and whichever damage boosters you have are nice, but unnecessary. Now, make sure your people aren’t clumped up! A single Dispel could otherwise be problematic, or his lowering of fire resistance innate ability: I forget if that’s just SCS. If any members lose their fire resistance, drink a potion of fire resistance instantly, or if it’s way too low, a potion of icedust.

I also tend to use summons as meat shields for his melee damage. Fire Elementals from Druids or Skeleton Warriors do decently, though be careful about sending them clumped into a single Death Spell. And if I recall correctly, I generally use an Arrow of Dispelling here to get rid of his Haste effect, which is kinda terrifying.

About the bolded: Does Firkraag really use Death Spell? I always handle him with a bunch of Fire Elementals to take pressure off my frontliners, and I can't recall him ever casting Death Spell, though I may just have been lucky.
    Is it cheating if, in a no or minimal reload, I summon an NPC in the Pocket Plane who got chunked during the game?

Not asking for headcanon justifications, I can come up with a few myself, I'd just like to know how those of you who don't use every exploit see the matter.

Frankly, I don't even know if it's possible, because I've never tried it, but now I've lost Jaheira and Mazzy in SoA (both to vampires) and I'm wondering. (Doing minimal, not no reload, but the idea is still the same).
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    I don't consider it as cheating all by itself but just like @Enuhal I wouldn't do it as well (and I don't seek an excuse for reload). But, if I really like an NPC (and I only take with me those I really like) I usually abandon the run and start another one instead.
    Grond0JuliusBorisovEnuhalArvia
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I don't think you even can use the Fate Spirit to recall chunked characters.

I do have my own question: Death Spell isn't supposed to affect neutral characters/turn neutral characters hostile if cast near them, is it? Death Spell's been a known tactic vs the Umber Hulks and Mind Flayers while saving Phaere, but this time it had the very weird effect of 1) affecting my main character (there was a line in the log that said spell ineffective, but I have a Death Ward on Jehu, so...) and 2) turning Phaere and Soulafein hostile.

The only mods I have that should affect anything is SCS: is Death Spell now coded to affect all creatures, and not only hostile? Is this a side effect of allowing Death Spell to kill Insect Plagues? Now that I think about it, this is almost certainly what's allowing Death Spell to target friendlies and neutrals, checking for insects to clean up.

It didn't have a fatal consequence, though obviously it broke the Ust Natha questline. Would this unintended spell behavior based off a mod that didn't intend for this to happen be grounds for a reload? I'll throw down a save after killing Phaere and Soulafein, but I'll also reload a prior quicksave to replay the encounter without using Death Spell until a verdict is reached.
    ArviaJuliusBorisov
    Oh well, thanks for the ideas, but it was all hypothetical. They can't be summoned back. That's pretty tough, because Irenicus chunked Anomen in Hell, too. That means I'll have to summon Cernd or Aerie if I want a healer (and someone for Chaotic Commands!). I've never used any of them. So that's going to be interesting.

I wouldn't restart in a no-reload for an NPC death. Except Imoen in BG1, because it would break the story. Everything else? Even your beloved partner can become a casualty of war...
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovSerg_BlackStriderAerakar
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    edited January 2020
    hello everyone, although I've been playing the game since I was a kid, and doing a lot of solo runs, I am a newcomer to the no-reload community.

Obviously, in no-reload runs, survivability and avoiding nasty spell effects takes precedence over raw damage.

And I was wondering how "safe" good saving throws are against insta-death effects (charms, petrify, but also confusions, fear, stun, webs and the like).

My question is: if I manage to get really good negative saving throws (as a shorty with good gear for example), can I assume that I won't be affected by any such spells ?

I already know a few exceptions, like Maze and Imprisonment allowing no save, but these two spells are very rare. On the top of my head, except for one maze trap in the Thieve's Guild if you join Bodhi, I can't recall any enemies except liches casting maze/imprisonment spells in non-SCS BG2/ToB. Am I wrong ? Maybe a few late-game mages have such spells, I wouldn't be surprised if some Elder Orbs/special Beholders had similar attacks, but I can't remember if they do.

I also know that Power Word:Stun & Power Word:Kill allow no save, but since they are based on (current) HP, a high level warrior should not be affected if HP is managed carefully.

Am I missing other spells ? Are there other traps/enemies using spells allowing no save that could insta-kill a solo run ?
    JuliusBorisovGrond0Aerakar