Skip to content

[Kickstarter] Pathfinder 2: Wrath of the Righteous

PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
Good news!

The next game of the Owlcat´s pathfinder franchise is already funded.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/description

• Embark on a journey to a realm overrun by demons and rise to power by choosing one of six available Mythic Paths. Master their abilities and change the world around you as an Angel, a Lich, a Trickster, an Aeon, a Demon, or an Azata. Each Mythic Path leads to unique skills and appearance, and greatly impacts the game’s story.
  • Challenge the mighty Demon Lords and close the portal to the demonic plane of existence known as the Abyss.
  • Enjoy the flexibility, richness, and depth of the Pathfinder first edition ruleset. Create any character imaginable by choosing one of ten races, picking a particular class out of the 21 available, each with five archetypes for even greater customization. Gain access to more than a thousand spells, feats, and abilities, and select those that suit your playstyle. Take control of your party formation, help set up a camp, and find a way to victory by combining the strengths of your companions.
  • Lead the armies of the Fifth Crusade to victory in a new strategic layer of gameplay. In addition to the classic CRPG experience, step into the role of the Commander, gather troops, reinforce your stronghold, and send your armies to battle the demonic invasion across the map of the region. Send your crusaders to explore ancient ruins and recover powerful artifacts.
  • Experience a non-linear story about the cost of tremendous power that adventurers often seek, with tales of corruption caused by the demonic influence and redemption for those who have stepped on the wrong path.

Ed: The warpriest new class is funded too. 34 more days to get a new tiefling companion.
Kamigoroshisarevok57ThacoBell

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited February 2020
    Apparently the Winter Witch prestige class was also unlocked via social goals. Gotta love more witchey stuff to fiddle around with. ?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'll keep an eye on this one. I'm a big sucker for good vs. evil narratives, especially ones with a celestial twist to it. Hopefully owlcat steers away from time sensitive or time locked content this time.
    BelgarathMTHmegamike15sarevok57smeagolheart
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    I read the kickstarter, and I will definitely play the game at some point. But, it looks like a bit too epic for my taste. I don’t like games where you’re the center of the universe, and that’s also one of the main reasons why I like Baldur’s Gate 1 more than SoD or BG2
    smeagolheartAdam_en_tium
    edited February 2020
    Lots of stuff had happened over at kickstarter: we reached both stretch goals for a “Thiefling“ companion and even Mounted Combat. Also, the third social goal about extra amounts of hair 'n beard options was also reached. All this in less than 3 days since the kickstarter went live! ?

Next stretch goal is Dismemberment at $615k. No surprise there, given the game location is the demon infested Worldwound.

@ThacoBell It's been said that Owlcat will not use the same timed mechanics as in Kingmaker for their indirect sequel. So we can expect a different approach for creating a sense of urgency.
    ThacoBell
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Looks like next stretch goals are 2 more mythic paths, Gold Dragon and Swarm that Walks.
    Kamigoroshikanisatha
    @Kamigoroshi "It's been said that Owlcat will not use the same timed mechanics as in Kingmaker for their indirect sequel. So we can expect a different approach for creating a sense of urgency."

Encouraging. Let's hope owlcat doesn't find something else that's as artificial for their "urgency." Just let the characters and story suck me in, I'll create my own urgency.
    KamigoroshiBelgarathMTHsarevok57smeagolheart
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Just backed it. I decided to splurge for the Early Access even it reads "pay to beta test our game." I was thinking collectors edition, but I never open the collectors edition boxes and without seeing the actual box artwork, it'd bee too much of gamble.
    Kamigoroshi
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Kamigoroshi "It's been said that Owlcat will not use the same timed mechanics as in Kingmaker for their indirect sequel. So we can expect a different approach for creating a sense of urgency."

Encouraging. Let's hope owlcat doesn't find something else that's as artificial for their "urgency." Just let the characters and story suck me in, I'll create my own urgency.

I get that you and a lot of people don't like timed quests, but it's unfair to call it artificial urgency. It's a real urgency if you fail the quest or game for failing to complete something in time. Most games are guilty of false urgency, the world's ending or something else horrible is happening, but you're going to go screw around and do all the side quests, talk to everyone and explore every nook and cranny. In Kingmaker, when a major event was going on, you need to go deal with it. That's not to say there's not time to do some side quests or explore the new region you're dealing with, but getting what needs to be done finished is necessary. Companions that asked you to do something will get annoyed if you just ignored their request and you could fail their questline, too, which makes sense.
    Kamigoroshikanisathascriver
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

I read in one of the recent interviews that they replaced the "time" milestones with stages of building your army milestones. So, it may be something along the lines of keeping you from advancing to the next stage of the game until you achieve the corresponding army-building milestone but without a timer on it.
    @DrHappyAngry Having a time limit for a companion waiting for a quest is fine. Having certain sidequests be timed ONCE STARTED is okay, if annoying and not fun. But timing an entire chapter of a game, with game over being the penalty for not meeting it? Nope, no, no, no. Its a GAME. Let me play it as my own pace and have FUN. I do not need a stress simulator.
    megamike15sarevok57
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

I get that you and a lot of people don't like timed quests, but it's unfair to call it artificial urgency. It's a real urgency if you fail the quest or game for failing to complete something in time. Most games are guilty of false urgency, the world's ending or something else horrible is happening, but you're going to go screw around and do all the side quests, talk to everyone and explore every nook and cranny. In Kingmaker, when a major event was going on, you need to go deal with it. That's not to say there's not time to do some side quests or explore the new region you're dealing with, but getting what needs to be done finished is necessary. Companions that asked you to do something will get annoyed if you just ignored their request and you could fail their questline, too, which makes sense.

What you fail to mention is "fun". Apparently, you find "urgency" via timed quests to be fun. Other people like @ThacoBell and me do not find that fun at all.

Because I didn't like the first P:KM largely due to the timed quests and the "you are the king of the realm whether you want to be or not" core of it, I will be very, very cautious about whether I will buy Owlcat's new offering when it's in final release. I will definitely watch several Let's Play videos and read quite a few reviews before I'll even consider buying it.
    ThacoBellsarevok57smeagolheart
    Different strokes for different folks. *shrugs*

I personally found Owlcat's approach on urgeny to be far more enjoyable than what Obsidian, Black Isle or Bioware previously had brought to the table. Mainly in part because I cannot relate to a story where your main character is lollygagging during doomsday (or a similar major event) and the whole gameworld stands still before Charname finally decides to get their things together.
    scriverPsicoVic
    This just in: the next stretch goal will be one race out of three. The contenters are ratfolk, catfolk and kitsune! Ratfolk here I come! Wheeee~!!! ?

ma3hfgbqt65g.png

@Vallmyr Now is your chance for getting humanoid foxes! XD
    deltagoThacoBell
    @ThacoBell and @BelgarathMTH you guys don't find that fun, and that's perfectly fine. I find the risk of failure to lend a real sense of urgency that makes the game more interesting to me. It's fun to a lot of people, including me. Just because you don't like that aspect doesn't mean it's not fun and enjoyable for other people.
    KamigoroshiscriverPsicoVic
    This just in: the next stretch goal will be one race out of three. The contenters are ratfolk, catfolk and kitsune! Ratfolk here I come! Wheeee~!!! ?

ma3hfgbqt65g.png

@Vallmyr Now is your chance for getting humanoid foxes! XD

I'm voting Kitsune for @Vallmyr.
    KamigoroshiVallmyrThacoBell
    @deltago Cats will henceforth forever remember you as a traitor of felines for not voting Catfolk. :wink:
    pft. Cats. who cares. I already traded my cat for a vacuum (seriously, not a joke). Cats, and those that love cats are already condemning me. Might as well attempt to get into the good graces of the fox enthusiasts.
    Kamigoroshikanisatha
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited February 2020
    Some of you may be aware that occasionally I unleash one of several alter-egos that don't necessarily reflect my personal views. You can tell when "it's not me guv" as they let you know who they are be saying so within square brackets...

[feline assassin] You talking to me boss? You want me to do what to @deltago? Nah, anyone who can trade in purrfection for a vacuum cleaner is so beneath my contempt, they didn't deserve to be in the presence of the children of Pasht anyway.

TR
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER and also thank you @deltago !
    Kamigoroshi
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Hey I'm neutral on the three choices, so my vote is undecided. And I love craft beer. Just sayin'. :wink:
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Hey I'm neutral on the three choices, so my vote is undecided. And I love craft beer. Just sayin'. :wink:

Then Kitsune it is:

6m2dvwxuiti2.jpg

unless this image is more appealing to you when you think about drinking down a nice cold lager:

t37f4n65dlxy.jpg

KamigoroshikanisathaThacoBellSkatan
    ^ You sure that's a lager? It has ale written on it.

@kanisatha Have a Kölsch instead:
    ggoq80rbie0c.jpg
    kanisatha
    So looks like an animal race, to be determined later, as well as the Skald class have made it in. Currently the stretch goal is for themes performed by a symphony orchestra. That could be really cool.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited February 2020
    According to a tweet by owlcat I saw retweeted, the next goal is to make it modder friendly. Having looked on kickstarter, I would take this with a pinch of salt as I can't see any mention of it on there.

TR
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    That’s the next “Social Goal” to be unlocked...
    h27ai28nseg9.png
    Yeah, not feeling stellar on that one. Even if they are basing it off of the TB mod from Kingmaker, recources will still be splitted through development.

The saving grace is that encounters and difficulty will be RTwP focused. So they don't have to basically create two games at the same time. Knowing the vocal and whiny TB crowd though... they'll demand that this afterthought becomes a core feature instead. >->
    kanisatha
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    The fact they listen to fanbase is great.

But this is such a risky move. They could end up ruining RTwP because they are trying to balance TB. And if that happens, all the massive kudos and goodwill they built up through PFK will vanish in an instant.

I'm keeping an open mind and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Let's hope they create a BG2 rather than a PoE2.
    Kamigoroshikanisatha
    The fact they listen to fanbase is great.

But this is such a risky move. They could end up ruining RTwP because they are trying to balance TB. And if that happens, all the massive kudos and goodwill they built up through PFK will vanish in an instant.

I'm keeping an open mind and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Let's hope they create a BG2 rather than a PoE2.

But PoE2 was the good PoE. Granted not as good as BG2, but it didn't have as grand a scope.

Out of curiosity, did the turn based mod actually have people taking their turns on their initiative, or did it work like D:OS2 where it was all staggered between your team and the enemies?

Glad the orchestra got funded, some epic music will really help to bring things to life.
    ThacoBell
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited February 2020
    It used actual initiative. I gotta say the turn based mod is probably one of the best mods made by the community, and the fact they are taking inspiration from it like being able to switch between RTWP and Turn based whenever you want means you can use RTWP for trash encounters or stuff you don't need much precision for but then for harder encounters turn on turn based to micro-manage everything.

Edit: I will say so far I've only done the rogue-like dungeon mode using turn based as when I did my run of the main campaign the mod didn't exist yet. I want to do a modded re-play of Kingmaker in full before Wrath of the Righteous though.
    JuliusBorisov