Skip to content

Famous Quotes and laws of reality...

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Nah, but a rather famous NPC from Oblivion's Nehrim: At Fate's Edge total conversion mod. Good stuff. :)
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Anybody can love you when you just buy the odds, but when everybody turns against and all hell breaks loose and looks like you're not a winner, and it looks like love doesn't pay. Most people make a withdrawal when they don't see a benefit!
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Don't ask what the world needs, ask what makes you alive.
    -Howard Thurman
    mlneveseProont
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The mockingbird can change its tune eighty-seven times in seven minutes.
    Politicians regard this interesting fact with envy.

--Author unknown
    ProontBalrog99ThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Maybe it really is all cocks in the end...

-Jaime Lannister
    (reflecting with Bronn of the Blackwater on the why of wars in GoT)
    ProontmlneveseRik_Kirtaniya
    edited July 2020
    Perfect, perfect nah, practice doesn't make perfect practice makes permanent!
    Balrog99
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    "War. War never changes. Since the dawn of human kind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything: from God to justice to simple, psychotic rage. In the year 2077, after millennia of armed conflict, the destructive nature of man could sustain itself no longer. The world was plunged into an abyss of nuclear fire and radiation. But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world. Instead, the apocalypse was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of human history. For man had succeeded in destroying the world - but war, war never changes."

— Fallout 3 Intro
    mlneveseProont
    i would like to see a new game in the Fallout series set, let's say 1000 years in the future to see what kind of new civilization came from the war.
    Rik_KirtaniyaProont
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    mlnevese wrote: »
    i would like to see a new game in the Fallout series set, let's say 1000 years in the future to see what kind of new civilization came from the war.

A revised Catholic Church and the Nation of Texarkana of course ;)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz

Fantastic book, I'm sure it was a huge influence on the Fallout games. It's like Fallout mixed with Martianus Capella, one of the founders of the idea of the liberal arts that recognized the Roman Empire was falling apart and tried to preserve the knowledge he thought people needed.
    mlneveseProont
    @DrHappyAngry I agree. A really good book. I discovered recently it has a sequel that has a really bad reputation.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    mlnevese wrote: »
    @DrHappyAngry I agree. A really good book. I discovered recently it has a sequel that has a really bad reputation.

Nice, most people haven't heard of it. Guess I'll stay away from the sequel.

“Soon the sun will set'- is that prophecy? No, it's merely an assertion of faith in the consistency of events.”
    ― Walter M. Miller Jr., A Canticle for Leibowitz
    mlneveseProontRik_KirtaniyaMontresor_SP
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    When you want to mobilize an audience against your enemy, you have to depict him as not just evil but also powerful.
    -Koenraad Elst

This quote actually has some sketchy origins. Koenraad Elst is a little-known Islamophobe and a long-winded defender of the quasi-fascist Hindutva movement in India, and he was using this quote to accuse "secularists" of lying about the power of the Hindutva movement (whose favored candidate, Narendra Modi, actually now runs India as Prime Minister, a decent indicator of just how incredibly powerful the movement really is). But when I ran into this line during a research project in 2012, I realized how many things it could apply to.
    ProontmlneveseRik_Kirtaniya
    And God Maxwell said...

htj7w9bqwvs0.png

...and there was light!
    mlneveseProontMontresor_SP
    ... democracy is not something you believe in, or a place you hang your hat, but it's something you do. You participate. If you stop doing it, democracy crumbles and falls apart.
    -- Abby Hoffman
    ThacoBellProontMontresor_SP
    "There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs."

-Booker T Washington
    Balrog99shabadoo
    "That is a form of racism and white supremacy and white control to say that all Black people need to be Democrat and to assume that me running is me splitting the vote. All of that information is being charged up on social media platforms by Democrats. And Democrats used to tell me, the same Democrats have threatened me…. The reason why this is the first day I registered to vote is because I was scared. I was told that if I voted on Trump my music career would be over. I was threatened into being in one party. I was threatened as a celebrity into being in one party. I was threatened as a Black man into the Democratic party. And that’s what the Democrats are doing, emotionally, to my people. Threatening them to the point where this white man can tell a Black man if you don’t vote for me, you’re not Black.”

-Kanye West
    StummvonBordwehrBalrog99shabadooMontresor_SP
    Discipline is a matter of the imposition of order and the order is necessary especially for people who are hopeless and nihilistic and lots of people are hopeless and nihilistic; way more than you think.
    Two of the greatest moments in an individuals life is the day they were born and the day they realize why they were born.
    Balrog99
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    DragonKing wrote: »
    Two of the greatest moments in an individuals life is the day they were born and the day they realize why they were born.

Because my parents had sex?
    ProontRik_Kirtaniyamlnevese

And then you realise you were not created using clouds and electricity. :p

mlneveseProont
    An autobiography is the story of how a man thinks he lived.
    -- Herbert Samuel
    ThacoBellRik_KirtaniyaProontMontresor_SP
    ThacoBell wrote: »

That's how they were born, not why @ThacoBell
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
    edited July 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »

That's how they were born, not why @ThacoBell

The "why" is the parents either wanted to have a kid or forgot to use contraceptives and didn't/couldn't have an abortion. Simple as that.
    KamigoroshiProont
    Betrayal is the only truth that sticks.
    ―Arthur Miller
    ProontStummvonBordwehrmlnevese
    There are two ways to see the world, some people see the thing that they want and others see the thing that prevents them from getting the thing that they want.
    ProontStummvonBordwehr
    “The hero is never the star of the story.“
    ―Marilyn Manson
    Proontmlnevese
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    “The hero is never the star of the story.“
    ―Marilyn Manson

Ba-scuse me?

wwa1irfv5ln4.png
    All problems, personal, national, or combat, become smaller if you don't dodge them, but confront them. Touch a thistle timidly, and it pricks you; grasp it boldly, and its spines crumble. Carry the battle to the enemy! Lay your ship alongside his!
    -- William F. (Bull) Halsey (1882-1959)
    Rik_KirtaniyaMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehrProont