Skip to content

Famous Quotes and laws of reality...

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal, while others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting at the last moment more vigorous efforts than before.
    -- Polybius
    Rik_KirtaniyaMontresor_SPProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    mlnevese wrote: »
    @ThacoBell

Scratch the surface of any cynic, and you will find a wounded idealist underneath. Because of previous pain or disappointment, cynics make their conclusions about life before the questions have even been asked. This means that beyond just seeing what is wrong with the world, cynics lack the courage to do something about it. The dynamic beneath cynicism is a fear of accepting responsibility.

― John Ortberg, Faith & Doubt

Hey, guess what!? Turns out this quote that I absolutely love comes from somebody I don't want to be associated with. I guess the saying about broken clocks is true. Can the church please, PLEASE stop having pedophillia scandals? At least this church didn't try to cover it up...
    mlneveseRik_KirtaniyaProont
    @Kamigoroshi Oh good. Hey, that first guy seems to the closest to the way I remembered the quote.

Also, yeah, let's keep church and state separate. Nothing good comes from them messing with each other.
    Rik_Kirtaniyamlnevese
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Nothing good comes from them messing with each other.

... or them banding together and then messing with us. :neutral:
    KamigoroshimlneveseThacoBellProont
    The Emperor-God of Dune would disagree :)
    ThacoBell
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Nothing good comes from them messing with each other.

... or them banding together and then messing with us. :neutral:

When the religious person agrees that they should never intertwine, you KNOW it causes serious problems.
    mlneveseProont
    A journey of a thousand miles occasionally begins with the realization that a thousand miles is one hell of a
    long journey.
    -- Mick Stevens
    KamigoroshiProont
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A journey of a thousand miles is a lot easier when you can take a train.
    mlneveseProont
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
    ― Haruki Murakami, (What I Talk About When I Talk About Running)
    mlneveseProont
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Don't be a follower, be a student. Take advice but not orders.
    Take information but don't let someone order your life.
    Make sure what you do is the product of your own conclusion, not to do what someone else says. Take what someone else says, process it, think about it, ponder it; if it makes you wonder and if it makes you think then it's valuable. Then when you go take action make sure the action isn't what someone told you to do but a product of your own conclusion.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    [/quote]

NOTHING can be accomplished without someone else. Either their support, or stepping on them to get higher. Anybody who believes in the self made man is buying into a lie told by people who trampled others on their way to power.[/quote]

That how we survive, through cooperation and/or confrontation. Success, on the other hand, is more subjective. What you may call success is merely the acquisition of wealth. Success may be measured inn the joy and happiness you feel and share with the world. This requires no wealth, no education, no privilege, only you. We all are self made, and we all formed by world around us. But we all form the world at the same time.
    In short, the self made man is one who merely knew what they wanted and "success"fully acquired it.
    @shabadoo "What you may call success is merely the acquisition of wealth. Success may be measured inn the joy and happiness you feel and share with the world. This requires no wealth, no education, no privilege, only you. We all are self made, and we all formed by world around us. But we all form the world at the same time.
    In short, the self made man is one who merely knew what they wanted and "success"fully acquired it."

It is impossible to do so without the assistance of another person at some point. "Self-made" is a myth. If something brings you joy, you only experience that joy because someone else made the thing you love in the first place. This is true of everything in life.
    Like I said... that's how we all survive... yes, nobody gets by on their own. It's what you choose to do with it, or not, that is important. Not everyone starts life with the advantages and privilege of wealth, great or small. It is when these individuals gain such affluence, through their own choices, that they are called self made. It doesn't mean they did it in a vacuum, it means they did it at all. It means they chose to use the opportunities afforded them through luck and dedication and hard work to the fullest potential. To try and take that away from them is just wrong.
    @shabadoo " It doesn't mean they did it in a vacuum"

No, that's EXACTLY what "self-made" means. Its a term used by the rich and successful to glorify themselves while also ignoring everyone who either helped them or were trampled on their way to success. To ignore this fact is just wrong.
    Proont
    Okay...sure...as long as your opinion isn't clouded by bitterness and envy.
    shabadoo wrote: »
    Okay...sure...as long as your opinion isn't clouded by bitterness and envy.

Other people being "successful" holds no disappointment for me in regards to how I'm doing in life. But disregarding all the people who have (knowingly or not) supported you is plain sociopathy. If you think my definition of "self made man" is opinion, look at the kinds of people its most often applied to (the super wealthy) and the kinds of people who most often refer to themselves as such (also the super wealthy). Creating your own definition for it does not change the etymology of the phrase.

"Meaning
    someone who achieves the success with his own hark work
    to come up the social, economic or financial ladder by one's self, without asking for or taking help
    Source: theidioms.com"

https://www.theidioms.com/self-made-man/
    Proont
    As long as you disregard that many of these people made the choices to take advantage of opportunity, for good or ill. Because some fail to do so for moral reasons or a lack of ambition does not change the fact that they make that decision... they choose not to use all that is provided. I'm not saying that all these "self made" people are paragons of virtue, simply that they took the risks and put in the work: even if that work was to climb on someone else's shoulders. It's jungle out there and lions have to eat too. It's not sociopathic tio recognize that every organisms success comes at another's failure.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @shabadoo @ThacoBell: This is probably better suited to the old philosophy thread or PM's; it's a bit too dense for a quotes thread.
    ProontStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    @shabadoo "I'm not saying that all these "self made" people are paragons of virtue, simply that they took the risks and put in the work: even if that work was to climb on someone else's shoulders."

If someone climbed on another's shoulders, by definition, they are not self made. But as per mod wishes, I will not continue this debate.
    Proont
    Agreed, it's just so damned difficult to resist a good debate.
    ThacoBell
    You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
    -- Wayne Gretzky
    Rik_KirtaniyaProontStummvonBordwehr
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    No man is a island, there are limits to the sand.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Quiet people have the loudest minds.
    ― Stephen King
    ThacoBellmlneveseProontRik_Kirtaniya