Skip to content

Famous Quotes and laws of reality...

Comments

• MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    edited December 2020
    Kay, not a snow globe but the same principle, this has never happened before.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I've been playing a lot of Cyberpunk and this felt really appropriate

“The future is there... looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become.”
    ― William Gibson, Pattern Recognition
    MichellemlneveseProontsemiticgoddess
    On a hot summer night
    Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses

Yes

Meatloaf
    Proont
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2020
    Going with laws of reality now. My snow globe stopped. Not kidding, I made it all move then put it down and nothing has changed for two hours.[

Kind of freaking me out.

Did you try tuning it off and on again? B)
    ProontsemiticgoddessArviaMichelle
    edited December 2020
    Better to walk into the abyss alone, than to walk across the most beautiful, sunlit field with a false friend.

Michelle
    semiticgoddessmlneveseArviaProont
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    "I can say from the era in which I grew up, I don't give a rats ass what you say to me, ok? Unless you are between me and some goal then I have to navigate that in some way. I'd there is a racist person, or sexist person, or a person with some kind ofcultural bias, I want to know that actually. I don't want them to hide that, I want you to say everything that you want to say. I'll say ok that's who you are, that's how you're thinking so now what do I need to do because you're in my way. Do I dig under you, go around you, leap over you or do I go this way and then come out the other side.

Yeah it's longer, it's more effort, it's more energy but on some level it's still the same shit different day."

Neil deGrasse Tyson
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    edited December 2020
    "Democracy works best with equity and liberty, and not at all with extreme inequality and tyranny."
    -Mario Bunge
    ThacoBellMichellemlneveseProont
    We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.

Hunter S. Thompson
    mlneveseMontresor_SP
    So tell me when you hear my heart stop
    You’re the only that knows
    Tell me when you hear my silence
    There’s a possibility I wouldn’t know

Lykke Li, Possibility
    mlneveseArviaProont
    He who cannot change the very fabric of his thoughts will never be able to change reality, and will never, therefore, make any progress.
    -- Anwar Sadat
    ArviaProontSkatan
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    mlnevese wrote: »
    He who cannot change the very fabric of his thoughts will never be able to change reality, and will never, therefore, make any progress.
    -- Anwar Sadat

Sadat was an interesting person and a great politician and negotiator. I've read his wife's autobiography, which was fascinating and gave many insights into the political development of the region.
    mlnevese
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    "My tea tastes wet."
    -My wife

*She looked at me immiediately after and said "my brain did a dumb."

<3
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddessmlnevese
    So the only solution is criogeny :)
    Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehrSkatan
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way. Laugh at the world’s foolishness, you will regret it; weep over it, you will regret that too; laugh at the world’s foolishness or weep over it, you will regret both. Believe a woman, you will regret it; believe her not, you will also regret it… Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will regret that too; hang yourself or don’t hang yourself, you’ll regret it either way; whether you hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both. This, gentlemen, is the essence of all philosophy.

- Søren Kierkegaard

I don't intend to discuss with a philosopher unless it's at least 3 am and there's some beer involved, but I wonder if Kierkegaard was religious? Or how did he think you could still feel regret after hanging yourself? o:)
    mlneveseProontMontresor_SPMichelle
    Arvia wrote: »
    Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way. Laugh at the world’s foolishness, you will regret it; weep over it, you will regret that too; laugh at the world’s foolishness or weep over it, you will regret both. Believe a woman, you will regret it; believe her not, you will also regret it… Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will regret that too; hang yourself or don’t hang yourself, you’ll regret it either way; whether you hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both. This, gentlemen, is the essence of all philosophy.

- Søren Kierkegaard

I don't intend to discuss with a philosopher unless it's at least 3 am and there's some beer involved, but I wonder if Kierkegaard was religious? Or how did he think you could still feel regret after hanging yourself? o:)

Well you have a few moments before unconsciousness...
    Montresor_SPArviaSkatan
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    "Life is a series of fights, you're either in a fight, just got out of a fight, or trust me there is a fight just around the corner waiting for you."

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    m7600 wrote: »
    "There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetuated under the shield of law and in the name of justice." -Montesquieu

Which reminded me of Edgar Allan Poe's "Some Words with a Mummy":

We then spoke of the great beauty and importance of Democracy, and were at much trouble in impressing the Count with a due sense of the advantages we enjoyed in living where there was suffrage ad libitum, and no king.

He listened with marked interest, and in fact seemed not a little amused. When we had done, he said that, a great while ago, there had occurred something of a very similar sort. Thirteen Egyptian provinces determined all at once to be free, and to set a magnificent example to the rest of mankind. They assembled their wise men, and concocted the most ingenious constitution it is possible to conceive. For a while they managed remarkably well; only their habit of bragging was prodigious. The thing ended, however, in the consolidation of the thirteen states, with some fifteen or twenty others, in the most odious and insupportable despotism that was ever heard of upon the face of the Earth.

I asked what was the name of the usurping tyrant.

As well as the Count could recollect, it was Mob.
    shabadooStummvonBordwehrMichellemlnevese
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Great men are only noteworthy for the orders they gave. Every real achievement is collective.
    Balrog99StummvonBordwehrMichelleThacoBell
    Party leads to vicious, corrupt and unprofitable legislation, for the sole purpose of defeating party.

James Fenimore Cooper
    mlnevesesemiticgoddessProontThacoBell
    edited January 2021
    It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny.

James Fenimore Cooper

Sorry, yeah two in a row from the same person. It is relevant though right? And honestly, Last of the Mohicans is my second favorite movie of all time.
    StummvonBordwehrProontshabadoo
    Second favorite because... Well guys will watch it with me and never complain that it is a love story. So I get to watch one of the greatest movies ever, and guys think it is about violence or polotics. Kay, knowing James Fenimore Cooper it probably was about politics, but it seriously came off as a love story.

Epic story, epic music, epic scenery, and it is a love story. Sorry, shameless plug there. It is an old enough movie that I don't feel guilty though.