Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,441
    edited January 2021
    @Harpagornis Sounds fine. There's some other obscure INT buffing like some dialogue checks and Stone Ally needs 16. Those would still be fine? INT buffing against Mindies can't be removed I don't think.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    histamiini wrote: »
    @Blackraven So Flaming Fists do actually fight Ogrillons? Last time Ogrillons were on my tow, FF just interrogated me and then just left not caring about any actual monsters. :D

That's right - but if you don't let them talk to you and get out of their sight they will fight enemies. The difficulty is that without stealth the enemies will continue following you and thus it's far more difficult to get the Flaming Fist to try and attack them without trying to talk to you. With stealth though it's a good time saver.
    Lolth: No antidots or elixirs of health

I like the progression - how long before healing items are banned as well? :D
    @alice_ashpool Good ol' hp buff to the rescue. Remember that those Heroism potions aren't infinite before Dragonspear Castle attack, so leaving bunch for at least the Coalition Battle is advisable.
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2021
    Ok... so I'm having a go at the Dukes fight... which is beyond difficult.

I toned dopplegangers down to "tactical" in the SCS fine-tune menu and it still took 50 charges of a wand of heavens to kill them with LoB, with the full experience I don't know how I would do this without either charming or monster summoning.

Is there some way to stash one of the dukes somewhere?

Is there a way to lure some of the dopplegangers away and park them? I had luck luring a single one away... once.

Can I somehow trick Liia's dialogue to proc like with Neera?

edit: i managed to softlock the game by killing the doppelganger mage before it transformed.... damn, and there i was thinking I had an easy answer.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited January 2021
    @Grond0: Yeah, the spell has to be launched and hit the NPC. We could say this may also apply for pyhscial attacks which would made ambushes even more deadly in some cases. My original intention was that both sides are forced to give away some blood while the actual definition also accepts misses. Whats the opinion on this one?

- Tempus: Except for Wizard Slayers retreats from ambushes are only possible if
    1. At least one enemy takes damage
    2. Charname takes damage from a physical attack or gets hit by a spell/gaze
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    edited January 2021
    @alice_ashpool The regular tactics in Palace Ambush have been charming the Mage, Shaman and Assassin Doppelgangers one by one with Algernon/Nymph cloak. You need to rest everytime using Algernon cloak, because it's the only way to charm them from distance. Then park them away, and start the fight with just three Greater Doppelgangers. After those are dead, CTRL-T enough time so the others transform. If you accidentally kill one of them before transformation, the game is practically over. Other known tactic is hp buff, summons and Dispel Arrows.
    histamiini wrote: »
    @alice_ashpool The regular tactics in Palace Ambush have been charming the Mage, Shaman and Assassin Doppelgangers one by one with Algernon/Nymph cloak. You need to rest everytime using Algernon cloak, because it's the only way to charm them from distance. Then park them away, and start the fight with just three Greater Doppelgangers. After those are dead, CTRL-T enough time so the others transform. If you accidentally kill one of them before transformation, the game is practically over. Other known tactic is hp buff, summons and Dispel Arrows.

I've got some ideas - i'm going to eekeeper in a stack of prot from fire scrolls and have a play around. If prot from fire scrolls can be used to get FR up to 127 then fireballs could be used to heal the flaming fists, keeping them alive... perhaps, no idea if this would work. I will report back
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You can also stagger the charms so that you can tackle the doppelgangers just one at a time. Rest a couple times after you've parked them in a good place, then wait a couple minutes in between charming each one. Rest once more and after the dialog with Sarevok, they'll slowly transform one after another as the charms wear off. I used that in one or two runs and it made things very simple.

I haven't tested it, but at least in the most recent update in EE, Sarevok doesn't trigger the softlock dialogue unless both dukes are dead OR somebody attacks Sarevok himself--which can be confused Flaming Fist folks as well as allied targets. That means you may be able to make progress in the Ducal Palace fight by bombing stuff with the One Gift Lost, even if the Grand Dukes get wounded in the process or the Flaming Fist guys even die. Still, I'm not sure if Liia Jannath pre-buffs with Protection from Fire, and hitting her with two Protection from Fire scrolls would take time, so charms are generally the way to go if you have few other options.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Good stuff @alice_ashpool, This is very useful for the Cataclysm challenge!

I was actually quite excited for my Beastmaster until I read the following haha...
    Notes: my reputation went from 20 to 2... looks like there was some friendly fire, maybe i even killed Janneth!?
    @alice_ashpool Holy shit if that works! Kind of funny rep loss too which probably needs to be dealt with somehow.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, thas hot stuff @alice_ashpool! This PfF buffing to some degree has also worked against the Crusader Attacks in the past for anyone lacking lots of summons and especially Arrows of Detonation. But without any charming we are now also forced to get more creative in the Palace Ambush, no? ;o)

Okay, i have leveled up Enchanter3/Fighter and a Conjurer3/Cleric to level 7 - the last one was far easier so far thanks to the Skel. Maybe i will post a detailed description later but for the moment i am too lazy! *G*

Getting free access to the Pseudo Dragon makes the early game so easy unlike leveling a Shadow Dancer6/Fighter - kudos to @Grond0! ;o)
    edited January 2021
    @Harpagornis I agree, I'm currently thinking posting only the deaths, because there will be deaths. I got Beast Master to lv3 today, and only waylay was the Wild Dog one, which is the easiest one I think. I used LMD and still had to club the doggie twice to get any kind of response.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Notes: my reputation went from 20 to 2... looks like there was some friendly fire, maybe i even killed Janneth!?

Killing a duke won't hurt your reputation; they're not innocents.

However, in addition to the Flaming Fist guards, there are five nobles starting in a side room - and those are true innocents. They're not the same as the doppelgangers impersonating nobles. If you kill any of them, your reputation will collapse.
    Update on the PfF strategy:
    3. This strategy should also work combined with PfAcid and Cloudkill

Cloudkill deals poison damage.
    jmerry wrote: »

Killing a duke won't hurt your reputation; they're not innocents.

However, in addition to the Flaming Fist guards, there are five nobles starting in a side room - and those are true innocents. They're not the same as the doppelgangers impersonating nobles. If you kill any of them, your reputation will collapse.

I think they do tend to flee to the anterooms. Maybe they can be monitored before fireballing the place?
    Blackraven wrote: »
    Update on the PfF strategy:
    3. This strategy should also work combined with PfAcid and Cloudkill

Cloudkill deals poison damage.

ha, shows how much I know. I'm looking forward to others getting to this stage with CATACLYSM restrictions to see what some other classes can do
    edited January 2021
    It's not relevant to @alice_ashpool at the moment, but for those playing the cataclysm there's a danger of killing an innocent (which is prohibited) when firebombing a group of Flaming Fist B). Some might think that even inflicting horrific burns was a teensy bit against the spirit of the god's prohibitions, but I couldn't possibly comment ...

If you were going that route, you could try targeting more precisely, e.g. through wand scorchers or firebreath potions. Mage PfF could be used to protect Belt, but beware of dispel magic. I'm not sure though that divine fire protection would last long enough to get full value from this tactic. However, a big advantage of green scrolls is that they can be used from a distance and last a long time - so Belt could be protected even before the battle started. If that were not dispelled, then wand of the heavens could provide some helpful healing without danger to anyone else.
    edited January 2021
    Another thing - the fight is very dependent on if weapons break - I just did one where belts sword broke instantly - no chance of success, another where two dopples "weapons" seemed to break - easy.

edit: there are 2 noblewomen who wander around aimlessly, thats where a lot of my rep loss was coming from, but I am wondering if killing flaming fists is also dropping rep.

This is so unreliable, I'm amazed it worked first time then failed the next 8 out of 10
    ha, shows how much I know. I'm looking forward to others getting to this stage with CATACLYSM restrictions to see what some other classes can do

Well you found out a lot today that I didn't know! For my Beastmaster or any ranger or paladin the reputation is a serious concern and as @Grond0 commented for most Cataclysm challengers as well, but your strategy is definitely something to work with.

And Cloudkill does sound like a good idea, as it will interrupt spell-casting by the shaman and the mage.
    Recharging OGL at rep 2 requires 73500G, so I think I have borked this no-charm monk run, even forgetting the fact that I shdowkeepered in 12 fire protection scrolls.

regardless, I shall carry on to sarevok, paying the price for my cheating
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    edited January 2021
    Recharging OGL at rep 2 requires 73500G, so I think I have borked this no-charm monk run, even forgetting the fact that I shdowkeepered in 12 fire protection scrolls.

regardless, I shall carry on to sarevok, paying the price for my cheating

Hi @alice_ashpool
    Well done with the smoldering palace aproach. The fight is a nasty bottle neck, so dire solutions are in order.

It wont help you in your current run, but BG1 has ample opportunity for rasing your rep. https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Reputation
    In a another run you could buy your way to rep 18 prior reaching BG city, and then postpone chatting with NPC’s (inside and outside the city) to have some opportunities for raising your rep after the palace fight.

Best of luck with Sarevok and co.
    RIP Anastasia v2. You didn't have the tools to kill Sarevok.