Skip to content

[MOD] Shades of the Sword Coast

Comments

• TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 481
    petemoore wrote: »
    deleted the whole file and installed and its working.i think todd the super tester mod was corrupting it.many thanks for the mod its great.i play bg every day and this has brightened up the game no end.wish you had more as this is fab.well done and many thanks
    For BG1, White and Ver'Sza NPC are really good too.

For BG2, the Atkathla Grounds mods are pretty impressive too. I will soon try the Will o Wisps mod part which adds a stronghold for the shaman class.
  • petemoorepetemoore Member Posts: 7
    thanks trouveur i will try those out
    i have nearly finished all the quests from this mod the only one thats got me stuck is finding the magic ice for kulul in nashkell any tips for this please
    Trouveur
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    It can be found only at a specific point: during the quest on the ice island where you're sent from Ulgoth's Beard. Just before you enter the cave / underground level, there is a new container next to the piece of rock you land on. It may be hard to notice, though, because containers are marked as light-blue frame and the ice is white, so... yeah, it's easy to miss that one.
    StummvonBordwehr
    had to start a new game as i had already been to ice island oh well .i have done most of the quests i think but i am left with a mace part but im not sure what quest this is part of?
    This is a mini-quest and it's not worth starting a new game. Just check it next time.
    Not sure which mace part, but this mod adds forgeable items. They are not a part of any quest. They are just new and quite strong items you can get if you find all pieces. That's all.
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    I have a question about Tsuki BG:EE (asking here because I dunno where to ask). I'm doing his quest (questlog is not updating, there is info but no text below) where I must prove his innocence; I must found these three dudes-examinators. Found two (one in Beregost Temple, second in Friendly Arm Inn). Where is the third?
    You may need to visit Children of Bhaal forums to get help with MotSC. I can barely remember what's exactly in there. Anyway, please, do not use this thread of other mods, it's already hard to manage all those threads... :)

I checked where's the last guy (I think he is at the Nashkel Carnival), but further questions post at CoB - perhaps people will remember how to deal with the mod's content. I was never the main MotSC author and I just wrote some components and... it was so long time ago I can't remember anything I put in those components.

Cheers
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    Finally cluaed him. Thanks for the answer!!!
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @InKal
    Where was he?
    Endarire, I just asked not to use this thread for other mods. If you want to talk, then PM him or something. This thread was created for Shades of the Sword Coast, not other mods I do not even maintain and someone else does it.
    bonewhiteglorykn37DawgliciousTimbo0o0o0
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Especially since InKal said he "cluaed" him in, which means he cheated the cre in. *facepalm*

-Sorry for OT post.
    bonewhitegloryDawglicious
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    edited May 2021
    Hey Lava, love the mod so far.

I think one of the components introduces a sequence break into the game.

Sequence Break Details:
    With the teleporting barrel, if you tell it to go to candlekeep you can encounter it again as a random encounter between fields and it will give you the prompt to escape the Candlekeep catacombs and place you in the dungeon that exits candlekeep. You can simply go back into the candlekeep catacombs and clear it out and get all the good rewards.

I was able to do this in after cloakwood mines (but had yet to even set foot in baldurs gate). I was also able to trigger the Tethoril helped me escape journal entry as early as Chapter 5! Probably could get it to happen earlier if I had done more exploring. It could be related to other mods I have installed but I think the encounter with the barrel refires errornously if you send it to candlekeep instead of the other places (which may result in a different reward?)

Upon exitting the candle keep dungeon it advances the to the next chapter (for me 6) without me doing any of the events in Baldur's Gate.

Another note:
    I had a really hard time finding the 2nd exit in the dining room of the Shadow Gnoll stronghold and had to spawn in the other notes simply because i could not see the entrance for the life of me - perhaps you could add a couple of unlit sconces to demarcate the entrances (I still haven't found it!)

One more thing:
    With the man and the fungus I think the reward of a wand of cloudkill is a bit too powerful for the point in the game you obtain it at. Perhaps swapping it out for a few of targettable potions that create the same effect when used will prevent people from selling the wand and getting 50 charges to carry through the remainder of BG1 and SOD?

Wand of cloudkill in BG1 really simplifies alot of encounters (in my opinion)

Other than those things I am really enjoying the mod!
    Post edited by DetectiveMittens on
    LavaDelVortel
    Thanks for your report. Version BETA5.1 is up!

- Fixed special random encounter (with barrel)
    - Fixed Amauna's Warm Smile
    - Fixed Spike of Caprice
    - Tweaked L#GNO2 area
    just a couple more questions i promise haha
    i got togu spice in my last playthrough but cant find it now can you give me a clue please.
    also i have 2 parts of the mace any tips for the other part and also is there more weapon parts to find besides the mace
    many thanks
    If only I remembered where all the items are, hah!
    I think the spice is in the cave in the northern part of the Bandit Camp.

There are 2 more items like the mace, which can be forged using item parts.
    Sorry, I don't really remember where all the item parts are. I think the least obvious place is
    inside Durlag's Tower, on the very first level, near the exit to the outdoor part of the area
  • barker262barker262 Member Posts: 74
    Dear LavaDelVortel, just loaded up your mod. Got some fun stuff in it which is welcome. Got a problem with the Circle of Stones quest. Can't go into the sages house on the friendly Arm Inn map. Follow him to his house and there is no 'door' symbol. Is there a location code I could put into console to advance the quest?
    Have you started a new game? This is required, otherwise the mod won't work properly and you'll get bugs like that.
    Also, if you first installed the mod and then patched the game, an army of bugs will surely happen.

The travel region should appear - it will be the icon to change area / move into the indoor area, there is no door that needs to be opened first.

I just installed the current version on the updated game and the travel region is there.
  • SourSour Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2021
    Hi, I just recently beat BGEE with Shades of the sword coast installed with EET. I know this mod doesn't officially support EET yet but I figured I would drop in and say that it works pretty well for the most part.

Due to the EET world map that I am using, the new areas don't show up for me. I can leave the gnoll stronghold by going to the edge of the map and talk to the bones but I believe there is another area that I can't access because of the EET world map. Also, I am playing with endless BG mod so I have beaten BGEE but I still have the TOTSC expansion areas to do, so I have not completed all of the quests yet. That being said, I have completed 24 of the 36 quests so far and will probably be able to finish another 6 or 7 quests before transitioning to SOD. I have had no crashes and all of the quests have worked except for one.

So far the only bug I have had is that the 4 shards didn't combine into anything after I collected them.

The mod is good and you did a good job of fleshing out the areas of the game and making them more interesting. Some of the Items may be a bit OP but it's hard for me to criticize them and below is why.

Difficulty and game balance are subjective so it's hard to say if quest rewards are OP or not. In my opinion insane difficulty with double damage and SCS is extremely easy to the point where you can pretty much just click on enemies and watch them die other than a few SCS encounters that require spell casting in a specific order. Adding OP items to the game doesn't really make it easier. Sure having access to a wand of cloud kill that I can get charged with 50 charges for 6000 gold is pretty OP but I could just as easily wipe everything out on a map with multiple fire balls from wands of fire that are relatively inexpensive as well.

LOB mode on the other hand is so unbalanced I honestly don't mind. The cursed neckless that allows you to cast 4 levels higher causes chromatic orb to instantly petrify and kill Tazok and Serevok. That might seem insanely OP but the fight is probably the hardest fight in any game even with that ability. Mainly because if you use Protection from magic the magic users can still run up to your warriors with -10 armor class and waste them in melee combat in a matter of seconds on LOB mode. Also the Skeletons that burst out of Serevok's party when they are defeated are stupid levels of broken. They are immune to everything other than crushing melee weapons. Cut one with a sword for 8 damage and they will resist 8 points of damage. They are immune to all spells, wands, and area effects. HP is boosted through the roof.

After defeating Serevok it took me 20 minutes of surrounding the skeletons with monster summons and having Minsc with protection from undead scroll just to wipe them out. Sorry for the tangent but as you can see, a wand of cloud kill or even casting 4 levels higher doesn't really matter when nobody bothers to playtest or balance the hardest game mode lol. All and all, I think your mod made LOB mode just a hair more playable considering how borked it is and considering how easy insane mode is for me I think I'll continue to play on LOB with your mod and some others that unintentionally help balance LOB's problems.
    LavaDelVortelIseweinTimbo0o0o0
    Thanks for your feedback! I think there is a chance those areas do appear on the map, but in some very wrong place... in the middle of the sea or something like that. But there's also a chance they do not, I heard about both situations when someone tried to play the mod using EET.

Anyway, I am glad you have some fun :)

Cheers!
  • MidnightVoyagerMidnightVoyager Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2021
    If I understand how it works properly, EET deletes preexisting baldur.bcs and worldmap.wmp from overrides. So what I did: I installed SotSC before EET. Then I copied the world map edits and the journal entry addition parts of the mod into their own mod and installed it right before EET_End. The map locations show up fine, I get all the journal entries.

It's the only way I could get it to quite work right with EET. The map icon's odd, and I had to wiggle the placement a bit, but it's not bad as far as cobbled together DIY patches goes.

(the things I do for new mod content! Quite enjoying it so far)
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    From what I've seen so far, I can only say: amazing work, Lava! Thank you for yet another great addition to the game.

Can you give me a pointer - I've dealt with the cult and collected what I was sent out to bring back but now I cannot figure out where to go to get my reward. In the journal it says "near the ducal palace" but I can't find the exact location/person.
    Thanks again.
    Make sure you also dealt with the leader and the abomination. The quest-giver should be near the upper left corner of that map, near the northern gate :) The man should be standing somewhere over there.

Thanks for your opinion :)
    Miridor
    Dear Lava,
    Been reading through this thread looking for info on two quest in your mod (Great mod by the way). When I first installed it I got a mission to look for an amber flower at night. But that was in a saved game prior to modding and so the map changes didn't take effect.
    Restarted and haven't found that quest since. Any idea where to start that quest?

Second question - the firewine bridge 'quest', with the three old swords, How does that quest start? I have the swords but no quest.

cheers,
    Hey! I'm not sure I understand the Amber Flower problem - what does it mean "that was in a saved game prior to modding". If that means you did not start a new game after installing a mod, there is a huge change everything is messed up. Sorry, but this is a really big quest mod and it applies changes to many areas and it simply requires to start a new game. The Amber Flower itself should be under the dried and old tree on the Nashkel Mine area.

As for the swords: in one of the bridge's turrets there should be a note on a table or on the wall or something. It starts the quest and says what you should do with those blades. The note is introduced as a info region (one that shows white text when clicked).

Cheers!
    Thanks for the quick reply Lava, regarding the Amber Flower quest - what I mean is that I had started the quest once but because that game was a saved game prior to modding I had to abandon that save.
    In a new game now and can't find the start to the Amber flower quest for the life of me. I haven't seen it in several different characters play throughs - basically, how do I get this quest issued to me?
    Once you enter Beregost from the north, move a bit to the right, in the direction of the big house. There is a halfling standing under the tree. His name is Ottter O'Forest or something like that. He gives you the quest.
  • GiovanskiGiovanski Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2021
    Hi @LavaDelVortel
    Hi @swit

I am getting this error installing after EET core (v 13.1).
    ERROR Installing [Shades of the Sword Coast – Expansion Pack for BGEE], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 117 files for [SOTSC/SOTSC.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 117 files for [SOTSC/SOTSC.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "EET_modConverter/lib/songlist_ee.2da")

The only other WeiDU mod installed besides EET is DLC Merger on BG:EE so it is essentially a "fresh" install.

Both games are version 2.6.6.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    @Giovanski, mistake on my end, sorry. Please extract this package inside your game directory overwriting 2 files.