Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• AgenesiaAgenesia Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2023
    So I got the attached file to work, the only thing I did differently this time is instead of opening it from the launchpad I opened it from the applications folder and used control+click to open instead of double clicking. @Argent77 thank you so much for your help and support do you have a patreon or PayPal? I'd like to toss a donation or something your way for the help and support you have given.
    edited July 2023
    Deleted post issue was solved
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,439
    I'm glad it works for you. But Apple's continuous effort to make macOS "more secure" with every version will probably lock out non-commercial software completely in the not so far future.
    TBH, I've already created a mod from the BG1 NPC voiceovers for players - I just haven't finished adding in all the SoD and BG2 NPC sets yet.

Is this viable for macOS? When I try to run I get a message saying to place in my game directory folder, I tried both game directories where game saves are as well as the core game directory as well as override folder and I can't get it to work. Sorry I am new to modding on a Mac book.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,837
    For mod installation, it's the core game directory that you need to put the stuff in. The mod folder and any installers you're using need to be on the same level as chitin.key and all the other folders like "override". In some versions of the game, this may all be hidden behind the app icon; I have the game (on Mac) from GoG, and patch 2.5 required me to use "Show Package Contents" on the thing claiming to be the application while patch 2.6 just has the folder openly visible.
    jmerry wrote: »
    For mod installation, it's the core game directory that you need to put the stuff in. The mod folder and any installers you're using need to be on the same level as chitin.key and all the other folders like "override". In some versions of the game, this may all be hidden behind the app icon; I have the game (on Mac) from GoG, and patch 2.5 required me to use "Show Package Contents" on the thing claiming to be the application while patch 2.6 just has the folder openly visible.

Thank you for the response, I was able to get one of the sounds sets I wanted manually (what a pain) I will work on the mod installation when I have time, but loving my Xan Elf Dragon disciple dual wielding Moon Blade, really wish I could do a fighter/sorcerer, is there a mod that will auto update warrior class stats upon leveling up?
    Update: NearInfinity v2.4-20230714

This release provides many visual improvements, such as icon preview for items and spells, portrait thumbnails in saved games, new visual elements in the area viewer, and more.

Screenshots:
    re1xb41zi601.png
    Icon preview for ITM and SPL resources in the resource tree

r7kit9gbylj7.png
    Icon preview for item and spell resources in View tabs and resource selection lists

4rb0sl8t17fu.png
    Portrait thumbnails for (non-)party characters in GAM resources

bi2c44m0x9dc.png
    New options in the Preferences dialog for enabling or disabling icon preview

7znxluqb861t.png
    New sublayers to show launch and access points for regions, doors and containers

Full Changelog:
    • Added options to show preview icons for ITM and SPL resources ("General" page in Preferences dialog)
      • in the resource tree (Option "Show Icons in Resource Tree")
      • in resource selection lists and various lists and tables in View tabs (Option ("Show Icons in Resource List")
    • Added portrait preview for (non-)player characters in the View tab of GAM resources
    • Improved display of (non-)player character names in the View tab of GAM resources
    • Area Viewer: Added new sublayers for regions, doors and containers to show launch and access points
    • BAM Converter:
      • Fixed color conversion of alpha-blended animations which produced incorrect results under specific conditions
      • Fixed enabled state of transparency threshold component in Options dialog
    • Added more information to the View tabs of
      • ARE: Added area type flags
      • ITM: Added usability flags
      • SPL: Added exclusion flags
      • STO: Added storage capacity
    • Fixed inaccurate highlighting when opening search results in text resources
    • Fixed file corruption when removing actors with embedded CRE structures in ARE resources
    • Updated various opcode labels
    • Various internal bugfixes and optimizations
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    argent77 wrote: »
    • Added options to show preview icons for ITM and SPL resources ("General" page in Preferences dialog)
      • in resource selection lists and various lists and tables in View tabs (Option ("Show Icons in Resource List")
    Any chance these could use the previous image as a default when the icon field is empty, and the current blank when an icon is referenced but NI cannot find it, to differentiate them.
    kjeron wrote: »
    Any chance these could use the previous image as a default when the icon field is empty, and the current blank when an icon is referenced but NI cannot find it, to differentiate them.

Sure, that should be doable.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I'm having some troubles adding some HLA abilities for priests

so what i did was add the option for an extra level 5,6,7 level spell slot ( akin to the level 6,7,8 that mages get )

so i copy pasted the mage ones, renamed and reconfigured so it should add cleric spells, edited the right HLA ability columns and such in the 2da

but it doesnt seem to work

first, it does show up in the HLA screen, and it is selectable

but when i select it, i do not gain the extra spell slot, and even the little animation doesnt even play, ( which i found to be weird because it should play regardless of class )

so perhaps there is a problem on the default EDIT page? and if so for the life of me i cannot figure out what it is

here are the screen shots of each edit page
    ii6s0n0411l8.jpg
    uri2ch3czp7n.jpg
    wubwv5xwoy7g.jpg
    4zpp50crcoxz.jpg
    Update: NearInfinity v2.4-20230729

Changelog:
    • Area Viewer: Added new layer "Impeded Door Cells" which visualizes blocked cells for opened/closed states of doors (experimental feature)
    • Added new check "For Invalid Opcodes" which checks for opcode definitions that are unknown or unsupported by the current game
    • Added "Save as..." button to structured resources that allows to specify a new location and/or filename to save current changes
    • Added "Properties" button to BMP resource view
    • Check for Unused Strings:
      • Added new types: LUA, MENU and PRO
      • Reduced "false positives" detection rate for 2DA and MENU types
    • Improved resource icon preview:
      • Added preview icons for BMP resources
      • To differentiate resources, empty icons are shown for non-existing/invalid resource icons and the default resource type icons are shown for resources with empty icon definitions
    • Fixed selecting entries in the "Special" resource tree folder when using the "Find resource" quick search feature
    • Improved mouse feedback (waiting cursor) for loading times when resource tree folders are expanded
    • Improved support for overridden strings from TOH/TOT files in saved game resources
    • Applied correct syntax highlighting for STO V1.1 item sale triggers (PST, PSTEE)
    • Improved presentation of "Parameter 1" field for SPLPROT-related opcodes: custom values for STATE and AREATYPE tables are available as flags datatype
    • Near Infinity check for updates: Download button will now open the "Release" page of the new version instead of linking to the associated NearInfinity.zip file directly
  • testlumtestlum Member Posts: 12
    Hello, I've got a silly question.
    d2woahivky2x.jpg

As you see in the spoiler, it's possible for spells to have many spell abilities. However, when I make a new spell with NI, I notice that my added spell abilities won't have a number behind it (as in Spell ability 0, Spell ability 1... etc.). Does this actually matter, and if yes, how do I number them?
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    That's just visual, if you save and reload the file, it'll get numbered.
  • testlumtestlum Member Posts: 12
    Oh, that's fine then lol. Thanks.
  • bzmbzm Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2023
    Is there a way to mass convert to (single) .bam files?

nvm: PS BAM is the answer.
    Post edited by bzm on
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited August 2023
    @argent77

How should I use the Advanced Search to filter all SPL files that
    1. Have more than 1 feature block
    2. At least one feature block should be op12 with damage_type=FIRE

I added both filters from a sample file (spwi303.spl) via right clicking the relevant fields, then "Add to Advanced Search"... I then edited the one related to "# effects" so as to read "Numeric Range: 2 - 999"...
    However, the resulting list also includes files that have more than one feature block with no op12 / damage_type=FIRE...

Am I missing something...?
    kjagxhe09fv5.png
    _Luke_ wrote: »
    @argent77

I added both filters from a sample file (spwi303.spl) via right clicking the relevant fields, then "Add to Advanced Search"... I then edited the one related to "# effects" so as to read "Numeric Range: 2 - 999"...
    However, the resulting list also includes files that have more than one feature block with no op12 / damage_type=FIRE...

You could remove the "grouped" flag from the filter entries to narrow down the search somewhat (see attached example). Otherwise groups of different structure levels are matched independently, which results in many false positives.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    _Luke_ wrote: »
    @argent77

You could remove the "grouped" flag from the filter entries to narrow down the search somewhat (see attached example). Otherwise groups of different structure levels are matched independently, which results in many false positives.

Thanks for help and clarification.
  • MasterGimliMasterGimli Member Posts: 14
    @argent77
    EEex has had a recent expansion for opcode 214 (select spell). I wonder if that could be supported in a future Nearinfinity release?
    Cheers!
  • TSHawkTSHawk Member Posts: 67
    I really don't understand coding. But someone said that I can use NI to create magical weapons and armor is that true? Also next question is it easy to learn and understand and to import into the games?
  • IncrementisIncrementis Member Posts: 20
    TSHawk wrote: »
    I really don't understand coding. But someone said that I can use NI to create magical weapons and armor is that true? Also next question is it easy to learn and understand and to import into the games?

It is not very hard to make magical weapons and armor with Near Infinity, but it depends on what you're after, and learning the basics will take some time and patience. In general, modifying IE games is more hacking than anything else. Here are some tutorial sources for beginners:
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    @argent77 or @Greener I am having the same issue that @Agenesia was having. NI won't open on my Mac. It will install no problem after allowing security bypass. Then when I try to run, the icon will bounce a couple of times on the dock and then disappear and nothing happens.

I tried CTRL click. I see no messages under Security. Any ideas? I want to make some edits to a saved game. It has been recommended to use NI instead of EEKeeper since EEK hasn't been updated in awhile and has a couple of issues.

Plus the MacOS WINE version that allowed EEK to run on Mac isn't around anymore. AstroGuy's GitHub that used to have it is completely gone.

Anyhow, if you have any ideas or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.
    shylaman wrote: »
    I am having the same issue that Agenesia was having. NI won't open on my Mac. It will install no problem after allowing security bypass. Then when I try to run, the icon will bounce a couple of times on the dock and then disappear and nothing happens.

I tried CTRL click. I see no messages under Security. Any ideas? I want to make some edits to a saved game. It has been recommended to use NI instead of EEKeeper since EEK hasn't been updated in awhile and has a couple of issues.

Plus the MacOS WINE version that allowed EEK to run on Mac isn't around anymore. AstroGuy's GitHub that used to have it is completely gone.

I can't really say. My only instance to test on macOS is macOS 12 on a virtual machine where I am able to run NI after bypassing the Gatekeeper. Every new macOS version seems to tighten the security mechanism a bit more though. It is possible that more mechanisms have to be bypassed to successfully launch the app on MacOS Sonoma.

A quick Google search indicates that several apps running on macOS Sonoma seem to have problems accessing the Documents folder even after granting access. This could also be the case in this instance. Maybe someone else with macOS Sonoma can tell you more.

As alternative option you could download and run the NearInfinity.jar file directly.

It is not very hard to make magical weapons and armor with Near Infinity, but it depends on what you're after, and learning the basics will take some time and patience. In general, modifying IE games is more hacking than anything else. Here are some tutorial sources for beginners:

Thank you
    WTF!! I can't download it? I'm being told that NI is unsafe and it is being blocked from being downloaded. I turned off my security and rebooted my PC and I'm still being told that it is blocked? How can I get around this?
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173

I can't really say. My only instance to test on macOS is macOS 12 on a virtual machine where I am able to run NI after bypassing the Gatekeeper. Every new macOS version seems to tighten the security mechanism a bit more though. It is possible that more mechanisms have to be bypassed to successfully launch the app on MacOS Sonoma.

A quick Google search indicates that several apps running on macOS Sonoma seem to have problems accessing the Documents folder even after granting access. This could also be the case in this instance. Maybe someone else with macOS Sonoma can tell you more.

As alternative option you could download and run the NearInfinity.jar file directly.

I never got the prompt to access the Documents folder. The only prompt I got was "The app you are trying to open is from an unidentified developer" and then you go under "Security" in settings and click "Allow Anyways". That allowed me to install the pkg which installed the app.

However, when I tried to run NI, it never asked for permissions to access documents or anything else. It just bobbed up and down a few seconds.

I understand not having the current OS to be able to test. I appreciate the reply. I'll try to run the jar file directly.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    edited November 2023
    shylaman wrote: »
    @argent77 or @Greener I am having the same issue that @Agenesia was having. NI won't open on my Mac. It will install no problem after allowing security bypass. Then when I try to run, the icon will bounce a couple of times on the dock and then disappear and nothing happens.

I was able to install NearInfinity-macos-2.4.20230625.pkg but neither of the new releases.

I subsequently updated this version by overwriting the .jar file from NearInfinity-20230729.zip.

FYI, I'm running macOS 14.1.1, hope this helps...

fo4o2e9nb270.png
    WTF!! I can't download it? I'm being told that NI is unsafe and it is being blocked from being downloaded. I turned off my security and rebooted my PC and I'm still being told that it is blocked? How can I get around this?

That's a false alarm from your antivirus tool if you downloaded NI from the official GitHub Releases page. Some antivirus solutions are notorious in producing false alarms (e.g. F-Secure). All AV tools should provide options to whitelist specific files, however.

Greener wrote: »
    I was able to install NearInfinity-macos-2.4.20230625.pkg but neither of the new releases.

I subsequently updated this version by overwriting the .jar file from NearInfinity-20230729.zip.

macOS package creation didn't change between these versions. I wonder what could be the reason?

Next NI release (no ETA yet) will use a slightly different method for creating packages though. It might then be worth trying out the pkg archive again.

That's a false alarm from your antivirus tool if you downloaded NI from the official GitHub Releases page. Some antivirus solutions are notorious in producing false alarms (e.g. F-Secure). All AV tools should provide options to whitelist specific files, however.

Greener wrote: »

macOS package creation didn't change between these versions. I wonder what could be the reason?

Next NI release (no ETA yet) will use a slightly different method for creating packages though. It might then be worth trying out the pkg archive again.

I'm using windows? And its Windows Security that is blocking me from it. Is there a workaround with Windows Security
    @shylaman @Greener An ARM64-compatible macOS installer is now available for the latest NI release, provided by critto on G3 Forums. It may solve your issues with running Near Infinity on the latest macOS version.