Skip to content

Please Report BG:EE Game Text Errors Here

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
edited October 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
This is the place for reporting textual errors in dialogues, journal entries, and descriptions. These include the following:
- spelling and grammar mistakes
- factual mistakes in the text itself (not generated by the program—see below)
- spoilers: dialogue and journal entries that unintentionally tell your character things they're not meant to know yet
- missing tokens or blatant assumptions that the PC is a certain race, gender, class...
- inconsistent wording for the same dialogue option or in descriptions for the same (type of) thing

Problems that do not fall under game text errors and which you should make a separate bug report for:
- stat calculation errors
- invalid string references
- problems with the (Not) Usable By header
- wrongly assigned (as opposed to misspelled) tooltips
- journal entry problems that are not typos

Please provide the exact quote and/or StrRef containing the problem. To see StrRefs, either place the following in Baldur.ini:
'Program Options',	'Strref On',	'1',
or type C:StrrefOn() in the console.

I will fix errors as soon as I can.
Post edited by Jalily on
hook71AndreaColomboNecdilzorCrevsDaakjorgehalcaraz

Comments

• hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    @Jalily

I have looked through some of the DLG-files with NI and noticed the following potential typos/issues.

MTOWBAZ.DLG:

I'm just a stanger that's needs some directions.
    (StrRef: 9834)

stanger that's -> stranger that

MYSMER.DLG:

A merchant sold me a potion of intelligence at the Nashkel fair for only 50 gold! Cheap at twice the price!
    (StrRef: 16549)

Can be bought for 40 gold as well giving the same journal entry.

NARLEN.DLG:

In the Thieves' Guilde I met one Narlen, but I couldn't understand anything he said.
    (StrRef: 27306)

Guilde -> Guild

I'll pass any test you set, and then some! You'll no discredit me with your games!
    (StrRef: 2926)

no -> not

NARRAT.DLG:

Barely escaping the onrushing waters, you are proud to have dealt a greivous blow to the Iron Throne.
    (StrRef: 20669)

greivous -> grievous

NEADOY.DLG:

The real trouble began when Rogdok came to find out where all the new goblins had come from. He didn't believe for a second that I was a god, but because the goblins did he dared not attack me.
    (StrRef: 27666)

goblins did he dared not attack me. -> goblins did, he dared not attack me.

NEERAP.DLG:

Obviously I had the wrong idea our friendship.
    (StrRef: 28125)

idea our -> idea about our

NEMEKLIN.DLG:

You could be working as a scullery maid in a goblin pit for all care! If I don't get my money right now, I'll carve you up! I'm sure I can find a buyer from some elven ears, even if it is a mere pittance!
    (StrRef: 28245)

all care -> all I care
    from some elven ears -> for some elven ears

NOBL9.DLG:

[NOBLEMAN 10, BEREGOST (MR. HALIMSTAD) HOSTILE] Not to be rude, but I'd rather you left immediately.
    (StrRef: 13529)

Some extra text showing in NI.

NOBLAY.DLG:

Froze with fear I was, because I couldn't take more 'n two steps at a time.
    (StrRef: 8229)

Froze -> Frozen

NOBLBAZ.DLG:

Angelo Dosan has stepped up to take the roll, but he seems to be in the back pocket of that Sarevok person.
    (StrRef: 9800)

roll -> role

You never know who you are talking too.
    (StrRef: 9804)

too -> to

NOBWBAS.DLG:

After the trust we all placed in him, he turns to be nothing but the basest of villains.
    (StrRef: 9852)

turns to -> turns out to

ws not actually responsible for killing the Iron Throne merchants, rather it was that new political figure, Sarevok.
    (StrRef: 9853)

ws -> was

OGRMA2.DLG:

Sure, though I'm rather disappointed that you didn't have the time to look over the art work I've created here.
    (StrRef: 3807)

art work -> artwork

OLIVIA.DLG:

It is a noble dream and, if I can grant it, I surely will, if for no other reason that to watch the beauty of her flight...
    (StrRef: 15792)

that -> than

OUBLEK.DLG:

I shall pay you, though less that the posted amount.
    (StrRef: 4650)

that -> than

PUMBERL.DLG:

We wish to speak with high priestess Jalantha Mystmyr.
    (StrRef: 1409)

Mystmyr -> Mistmyr

RAMAZI.DLG:

I pay better that common blade-wage, but you need be discreet.
    (StrRef: 2649)

that -> than

RASAADJ.DLG:

Thank you, , for reminding me of the solace found the teachings of Selûne.
    (StrRef: 28748)

found the teachings -> found in the teachings

Gamaz said something about your making him weak.
    (StrRef: 28846)

your -> you

RSGAMAZ.DLG:

Alogorth found me on that street where you left me, Rasaad.
    (StrRef: 28928)

Alogorth -> Alorgoth

SHAELL.DLG:

But if gods are real and true and all-knowing, than Leira cannot be a god and must be dead if indeed she ever lived at all.
    (StrRef: 14243)

than -> then

SHARA1.DLG:

We are a band of adventurers her to search the wreckage of Balduran's ship.
    (StrRef: 21901)

her -> here

SIL.DLG:

Stay your killing blow, I yeild!
    (StrRef: 2026)

yeild -> yield

SKIE.DLG:

You're really not the kind of people I should be traveling ling with.
    (StrRef: 16145)

traveling ling with -> traveling with

SMUGGL.DLG:

There's some fella named Sarevok. who's been causin' quite the stir among the upper crust.
    (StrRef: 6412)

Sarevok. who's -> Sarevok, who's

SOLIA2.DLG:

Heya, you can hide over hear here!
    (StrRef: 21673)

hear here -> here

Most of the village is happy her by themselves.
    (StrRef: 21685)

her -> here

SONNER.DLG:

I've done with all of this.
    (StrRef: 1820)

I've -> I'm

TAEROM.DLG:

In just a day, Taerom "Thunderhammer" of Beregost should have my new ankheg-shell plate mail ready for me.
    (StrRef: 27451)

In just a day -> Soon (As I understand it this needs to work for both one and three days)

TAMAH.DLG:

What have to you give me as payment?
    (StrRef: 10643)

have to you -> have you to

TAMOKO3.DLG:

True, those were not my exact words, but seeing that you have done nothing I thought it prudent to reiterate in your minds what you should be doing.
    (StrRef: 1665)

nothing I thought -> nothing, I thought

TENYA.DLG:

It was those horrible fishermen what hired you, wasn't it?
    (StrRef: 1146)

what hired -> that hired

THALAN.DLG:

If you will help him then, I'll be on my way.
    (StrRef: 6176)

him then, I'll -> him, then I'll

If you will help him,then I'll be on my way.
    (StrRef: 6178)

him,then I'll -> him, then I'll

Now, If this little chicken-afflicted fellow wishes to pay you he may, though I wager he has little more than the items he stole from me.
    (StrRef: 6522)

If -> if

TRAVEL.DLG:

Put a cork in it, you blustering fool! I care not a whit for the tale of your passage
    (StrRef: 7938)
    Put a cork in it, you blustering fool! I care not a whit for the tale of your passage
    (StrRef: 7939)

passage -> passage.

TRIADO.DLG:

You'll know them when you see them and, should you continue on your maddened course, I have no doubt that see them you will!
    (StrRef: 20208)

them and, should -> them, and should

TTBELT.DLG:

What's taking you so long? Gu up the stairs.
    (StrRef: 30019)

Gu -> Go

WARNER.DLG:

Duke Entar Silvershiled is dead, Duke Eltan is gravely ill!
    (StrRef: 20485)

Silvershiled -> Silvershield

WARWLF.DLG:

If so, I will respect you abilities and wish you luck.
    (StrRef: 21564)

you abilities -> your abilities

WATCHM.DLG:

Halt! I'll run you through you don't stop now!
    (StrRef: 2946)

through you -> through if you

WILLIB.DLG:

Hello there stranger? Is there something I can do for you?
    (StrRef: 9637)

stranger? -> stranger.

YESLIC.DLG:

If fact, I'll do you better than blessings.
    (StrRef: 929)

If fact -> In fact
    CrevsDaaklelag200
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Thanks, hook! All fixed with the following exceptions:
    - In 28846, using a possessive before a gerund is correct. "Making him weak" is used as a noun here, the thing "Gamaz said something about." In order to modify a noun, the preceding noun or pronoun must be in possessive form.
    - The comma in 6176 was intentionally moved, although not by me (will look into this—yes, I realize the implications for 6178).
    - By "extra text" in 13529, do you mean the bracketed part? That's a comment for developers and Near Infinity junkies like us. :D It won't and shouldn't appear in the game.

Taerom's journal entry will have two versions, one for a single day and one for three. The potion entry will probably get the same treatment.

Again, thanks!
    hook71
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Jalily
    If you agree, I think that we should open a thread in the public section dedicated to typos reports. In this way, we could merge a lot of existing threads and avoid the creation of new ones.
    @Aedan Done: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17044/please-report-game-text-errors-here

No need to merge existing topics; I plan to split off fixed problems eventually and move them to the proper forum.
  • psyactpsyact Member Posts: 81
    Probably been caught already, but there's a period after the "Candlekeep" tooltip/note on the first map. It probably shouldn't be there.
    Yep. Believe it or not, this was fixed before launch, but is mysteriously back. O_o There's a period because this particular Candlekeep string is also used as a dialogue response.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    A lot of good catches there, @hook71, well done! However, I don't know where you're from, but some of the "errors" you're pointing out are actually commonplace colloquialisms in some English-speaking regions.
    hook71 said:

I'll pass any test you set, and then some! You'll no discredit me with your games!

no -> not

This is a common colloquialism in northern England and parts of Scotland. If the character is intended to speak in an appropriate accent, "no" instead of "not" would be correct. (Other parts of Scotland would say "nae" instead.)
    hook71 said:

Froze with fear I was, because I couldn't take more 'n two steps at a time.
    (StrRef: 8229)

Froze -> Frozen

Common rustic usage in south-west England, where the infinitive form is widely substituted for all parts of the verb. For "I am frozen with fear!", one would say "Froze wi' fear, ah be!"
    hook71 said:

Sure, though I'm rather disappointed that you didn't have the time to look over the art work I've created here.
    (StrRef: 3807)

art work -> artwork

To say "art work" remains acceptable, albeit that "artwork" has become more common.
    hook71 said:

Gamaz said something about your making him weak.
    (StrRef: 28846)

your -> you

No, "your" is correct, but @Jalily has already explained this.
    hook71 said:

I've done with all of this.
    (StrRef: 1820)

I've -> I'm

Both "I've" and "I'm" are colloquial usages. Both are common in different places, this needs no correction. Where I come from, "I've" would be more usual. In other places, "I be done" would also be normal.
    hook71 said:

It was those horrible fishermen what hired you, wasn't it?
    (StrRef: 1146)

what hired -> that hired

This is a cockney usage, now quite general in England, although deprecated as childish or uneducated speech. For Tenya, being a child, it's probably quite appropriate without correction.
    hook71 said:

If you will help him then, I'll be on my way.

him then, I'll -> him, then I'll

Depends upon context. I agree that the placement of the comma changes the meaning, but it's not necessarily incorrect and I can't remember the context of this remark.
    hook71 said:

You'll know them when you see them and, should you continue on your maddened course, I have no doubt that see them you will!
    (StrRef: 20208)

them and, should -> them, and should

No, it was already correct. The "and" connects "see them ..." to "... I have no doubt", and the intervening conditional clause is parenthetical. Saying "... them, and should ..." would be incorrect unless you also prepend "then" before "I have".
    hook71
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited March 2013
    Not a bigee, but have you noticed that the first bounty notice you get from Tarnesh at the FAI lists out the reward as "200 coins of gold" but the one from Neera in Nashkel spells it out in word form as "Six Hundred and Eighty coins of gold"? I'm not sure how the later bounty notices are formatted (I forget how many there are after this... I think at least one).
    Originally they were all written out, but it was decided that gold amounts would be written numerically since gold is a game mechanic. I'll go change the other two. :)
    HaHaCharade
  • DrusycDrusyc Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2013
    @Gallowglass
    Dialect corrections I have no issues with but your final correction regarding the use of and+comma is simply incorrect. Commas never follow conjunction words* under any circumstances regardless of the following clause and they almost never follow conjunction words if both clauses are independent. If you wanted some sort of punctuation after the and, you would use a dash.

"You'll know them when you see them and - should you continue on your maddened course - I have no doubt that see them you will!"
    or
    "You'll know them when you see them, and should you continue on your maddened course, I have no doubt that see them you will!"
    are both correct.

If you wanted some silly correction that would also be correct, you could edit to:
    "You'll know them when you see them, should you continue on your maddened course, and I have no doubt that see them you will!"

edit: For the purposes of this correction, omit conjunctive adverbs as conjunctions; only use correlating conjunctions.
    TJ_Hookerhook71
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    @Gallowglass

Fair enough. I'm from Sweden so I'm certainly not familiar with all English dialects and you certainly seem to know your stuff. I leave this up to @Jalily to decide who I guess is a lot better at this than me...

A few comments though:

NARLEN.DLG:

Note that this is said by the protagonist and in another branch in the same DLG-file the response is:

I'll pass any test you set, and then some! You'll not discredit me with your games!
    (StrRef: 2884)

THALAN.DLG:

The contexts are from talking with Thalantyr regarding Melicamp.

HAhaha! *snicker* Um, yes, well... I suppose we should deal with the situation at hand. Now then my good chicken, *snicker* what seems to be the problem?
    (StrRef: 6171)

or

While mildly amusing, you lack the charm to cover the fact that this person is quite likely experiencing some severe emotional distress. I suggest that you stop making fun of him and tell me exactly why you brought him here.
    (StrRef: 6174)

To which you can give two responses:

I have specifically brought him here because he claimed to be an apprentice of yours. It seemed likely that you would help.
    (StrRef: 6175)
    I have specifically brought him here because he claimed to be an apprentice of yours. It seemed likely that you would help.
    (StrRef: 6177)

or

If you will help him then, I'll be on my way. I only wished to see him to safety.
    If you will help him,then I'll be on my way. I only wished to see him to safety.
    hook71 said:

Fair enough. I'm from Sweden so I'm certainly not familiar with all English dialects and you certainly seem to know your stuff. I leave this up to @Jalily to decide who I guess is a lot better at this than me...

A few comments though:

NARLEN.DLG:

Note that this is said by the protagonist and in another branch in the same DLG-file the response is:

I'll pass any test you set, and then some! You'll not discredit me with your games!
    (StrRef: 2884)

Thanks for explaining. In that context, I agree that it must have been an error rather than a representation of dialect.
    hook71 said:

The contexts are from talking with Thalantyr regarding Melicamp.

HAhaha! *snicker* Um, yes, well... I suppose we should deal with the situation at hand. Now then my good chicken, *snicker* what seems to be the problem?
    (StrRef: 6171)

or

While mildly amusing, you lack the charm to cover the fact that this person is quite likely experiencing some severe emotional distress. I suggest that you stop making fun of him and tell me exactly why you brought him here.
    (StrRef: 6174)

To which you can give two responses:

(StrRef: 6175)
    (StrRef: 6177)

Then these are additional errors. Both ought to read "I brought him here specifically because ..."; it is the claim of apprenticeship which is specific, not the act of bringing.
    hook71 said:

or

If you will help him then, I'll be on my way. I only wished to see him to safety.
    If you will help him,then I'll be on my way. I only wished to see him to safety.

Again, thanks for the clarification. In that context, I agree that both ought to read "... him, then I'll ...", as you originally said.
    hook71
    Drusyc said:

... your final correction regarding the use of and+comma is simply incorrect. Commas never follow conjunction words* under any circumstances

Rubbish. A comma after a conjunction is not a very common structure, but there are many perfectly correct examples which could be constructed, specifically including the one in the existing game text, which is actually a rather fine illustration of when it is both correct and desirable to do this.
    Drusyc said:

If you wanted some sort of punctuation after the and, you would use a dash.

I might have used parentheses rather than a dash, but a comma is an entirely acceptable alternative. I might well also have used another comma before the conjunction for maximum clarity, but that'd be optional in the current context.
    Drusyc said:

"You'll know them when you see them and - should you continue on your maddened course - I have no doubt that see them you will!"
    or
    "You'll know them when you see them, and should you continue on your maddened course, I have no doubt that see them you will!"
    are both correct.

The former is both grammatically and semantically correct, although the use of the dash in place of a parenthesis or comma is stylistically questionable.

The latter is semantically garbled because the third clause has been severed from its conjunction and therefore no longer belongs in this sentence, consequently rendering the second clause a query rather than a condition. Thus the best-guess interpretation would now be that the writer was trying to say "You'll know them when you see them; should you continue on your maddened course? I have no doubt that see them you will!" That's certainly not what the writer really meant.
    Drusyc said:

If you wanted some silly correction that would also be correct, you could edit to:
    "You'll know them when you see them, should you continue on your maddened course, and I have no doubt that see them you will!"

No, that greatly changes the substantive meaning. This version asserts that failing to continue on the maddened course would prevent the knowing of them even if then seen (whereas the knowing upon seeing was unconditional in the original), and further implies certainty that the maddened course will be continued (which was conditional in the original).
    @gallowglass

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

I could break down your entire post, but this link does a fine job with parentheticals. Your corrections are not quite correct.

Your explanation of why the final correction is dramatically different is how I understood the dialogue in the first place before the revision. I see no difference. I'm not at a computer right now, perhaps we can continue this over pms when I'm at home? I'd like to clarify which.grammar rules you're using, since I'm canadian and use a mixture of webster and oxford.
    @Drusyc: on the site you cite, you'll notice that their rule 2 remarks "We cannot say that the comma will always come before the conjunction and never after, but it would be a rare event", not "never ... under any circumstances" as you previously asserted.

I'm not convinced that it's terribly rare for it to be correct usage, but at least they agree with me that it sometimes is. Furthermore, I agree with their assertion (and implicitly yours) that it is used incorrectly far more often than correctly.

However, the particular case we're debating, the insertion of a parenthetical clause (rule 4 on that site) immediately after the conjunction, strikes me as probably the most frequent circumstance where it is indeed correct to follow the conjunction with a comma. Thus I stick to my original position: the original game text is correct.
    If you would notice my edit in the original post, you'll find that there are rules that already cover commas after a conjunction. Commas most commonly follow conjunctions if it is a conjunctive adverb. You would commonly find it with stuff like:

"Blah blah blah. However, [...]."
    "That is, blah blah [...]."
    "Otherwise, blah blah blah [...]."

This is why I wanted to move this to PMs, so the thread doesn't become cramped with discussion on a single correction.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited March 2013
    Jalily said:

Originally they were all written out, but it was decided that gold amounts would be written numerically since gold is a game mechanic. I'll go change the other two. :)

Just an update on this. The bounty scrolls I've gotten so far have the numbers written out (two hundred and six hundred and eighty) when you examine the actual items, but when copied to a journal entry using the button, the two hundred changes to 200, and the other one is copied verbatim. Kinda odd.

In the Hall of Wonders is "Gondsman Leonardo's Helical Arial Wonder". I doubt it. "Aerial" perhaps.

(Or if it's really meant to say "Arial", then it probably ought to say "Helvetical" instead of "Helical" :-))
    Darksheer
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    On the archaeological dig site map AR4100. There is a column post / stone marker that states that the mine site is nearby... There is no mine. Only the archaeological dig. Perhaps it should read The Sword Coast like the marker stones in the areas above? It is on the side of the map nearest the sea of swords?

Can I have a reward for most useless bug / text error report?
    When interrogating Thaldorn, one of the party's dialogue options is "First, tell us where we can find hard evidence that could frame your business for all of the deviltry going on along the Coast Way."

1) Although "deviltry" is recognised as an alternative by some dictionaries, I believe "devilry" is the more common spelling (and pronunciation), so I suggest that the latter would be preferable.

2) To "frame" means (in this context) to concoct false evidence against the innocent, whereas the party is seeking genuine evidence against the guilty, so "frame" is completely the wrong word. I suggest "indict your business for", or perhaps "prove your business guilty of".

3) No doubt there are still some ordinary bandits around, in addition to the thugs hired by the Iron Throne, so "all of" may be hyperbole. I suggest deletion.
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    Inconsistency of capital letters:
    edited March 2013
    @Parys Dave Gross told me to capitalize class names in all item descriptions. I'll change that one to "Clerics and Druids" though, since Druids fall under priests... The missing description image has already been reported.

When interrogating Thaldorn, one of the party's dialogue options is "First, tell us where we can find hard evidence that could frame your business for all of the deviltry going on along the Coast Way."

1) Although "deviltry" is recognised as an alternative by some dictionaries, I believe "devilry" is the more common spelling (and pronunciation), so I suggest that the latter would be preferable.

2) To "frame" means (in this context) to concoct false evidence against the innocent, whereas the party is seeking genuine evidence against the guilty, so "frame" is completely the wrong word. I suggest "indict your business for", or perhaps "prove your business guilty of".

3) No doubt there are still some ordinary bandits around, in addition to the thugs hired by the Iron Throne, so "all of" may be hyperbole. I suggest deletion.

Leaving #1 (acceptable spelling) and #3 (recognizable hyperbole that sounds like actual dialogue), the final sentence looks like this: "First, tell us where we can find hard evidence that could implicate your business in all of the deviltry going on along the Coast Way."
    Post edited by Jalily on
    Parys
    I agree with Dave Gross (aren't I lucky, eh?) that class names should be treated as proper nouns for purposes of the game, so indeed Clerics and Druids are the base classes of the priest type. That still leaves open the question of whether or not class types should also be capitalised (i.e. are Clerics and Druids "priests" or "Priests"?) ... I'm inclined to think that the broader categories are less qualified to be treated like proper nouns, so they probably shouldn't be, although I have no strong opinion.
    Anduin said:

On the archaeological dig site map AR4100. There is a column post / stone marker that states that the mine site is nearby... There is no mine. Only the archaeological dig. Perhaps it should read The Sword Coast like the marker stones in the areas above? It is on the side of the map nearest the sea of swords?

Can I have a reward for most useless bug / text error report?

No~pe! :) I believe the marker is meant to alert the player to the dig, so it now reads "Excavation nearby."
    AnduinHaHaCharade
    In Ulgoth's Beard, when you reject Galken's offer, he says "Bah! Cowards all! Still, I'll be here beggin' for more time if you change you're mind." Obviously that should read "your" rather than "you're".
    Anduin said:

There is a column post / stone marker that states that the mine site is nearby... There is no mine. Only the archaeological dig.

Jalily said:

I believe the marker is meant to alert the player to the dig, so it now reads "Excavation nearby."

Are you two sure that this was really an error? The entry to the archaeological site does look very like a mine entrance, so whoever built the marker stones (presumably long before the dig started) would very likely have assumed that it was actually a disused mine, rather than having been an inhabited cave (as the archaeologists have only recently discovered). Thus I've always supposed that this was a deliberately erroneous marker stone, and quite a clever touch by the original devs.
    The stone construction doesn't look like a mine entrance to me.
    AnduinHaHaCharadeAedan
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    Don't know if it matters or not but I've notice (playing female) that a lot of the speeches by the npc's are gender biased. For example, Imoen keeps saying "Yes, Sir I'll get on it right away" or whatever. I think it should be "Yes mam (sp?) "Yes oh powerful leader!" :D Not sure if the programing has any of telling whether your female or male.
    @Starlily It matters...to me. ò_ó

The game can tell, but most of the time, I inserted the <SIRMAAM> token instead of the <PRO_SIRMAAM> token; this means that the form of address will depend on the actual character speaking rather than the protagonist always. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a line where Imoen says that; do you have more specific quotes?
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    I'll play some today and see if I spot it and report back.
    Jalily