Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    @Etamin - "Numbers on bullets are, in my opinion a bit unnecessary, since you can tell by look how many points you have. Would be more helpfull with 10 and more bullets."

The whole point of the numbered proficiency bullets is so that you don't have to count them. At quick glance its not always obvious whether you looking at 4 or 5 bullets - you typically have to look closer and count them. This design enables you to have a quick glace and always know how many points you have in the given category.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    For me when i have 4-5 dots i don't have to count them. I just see it. I don't even focus on number. I just see by first glance how many i have. With 10 bullets difference f. i. between 7 and 8 is not so obvious so maybe then i would focus on number to be sure. With only 5 bullets this option is not so necessary, but like i said, it doesn't look so bad and maybe some will find it usefull.

Dee said yesterday that new patch could be done 31th May. Does it mean you want to do 25 character generation screens in like 4-5 days? Is it really possible?
    edited May 2013
    @Etamin - I can't speak as to when the new patch will be coming out. I can only say that my goal is to have beta 7 ready shortly after the new patch becomes public. I would be shocked if it comes out on the 31st. Either way, I'm working really hard and I have a lot of the ground work done for the character generation screens. Screenshots coming soon...
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    Just chiming in about the numbers on the proficiency bullets, I prefer the buttons without the numbers.
  • jlkawaiijlkawaii Member Posts: 33
    Seriously impressive....
    A true labor of love :)
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    The numbers for each player creation step are cool, but I would rather think of Roman numerals for parts of interface as opposed to Arabic which are used for character sheet.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited May 2013
    Seeing all those opposite opinions about numbered proficiency bullets I suggest to implement a selection in the installer for every taste: standard or numbered (and/or else if wanted).
    What do you think, @Archaic? :)
    Post edited by Metalloman on
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited May 2013
    @Metalloman
    Can you tell me if GUI boxes work fine with the italian language? This mod is pure awesome, so I hope that italian texts fit well in each icon and are not cut.
    edited May 2013
    @Aedan: As far as I know the only problem with Italian strings' lenght showed in the inventory screen, when clicking some special NPC's objects, like Xan's Moonblade, Edwin's Amulet and so on, but with BETA 6.1 @Archaic enhanced the Inventory dialog box and now even longer text strings should fit correctly. :)
    (I have not tested all NPC's specific string with the last release but It should be all ok)
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Good to know!
    That issue was present without the mod too, but it will be fixed with the next patch.
    Thanks for the info!
    edited May 2013
    @Aedan @Metalloman - Long text strings in the inventory work with all languages in BETA 7.

@Aedan - "This mod is pure awesome" Thank you!
    edited May 2013
    @jlkawaii - Thank you. You are correct its a true labor of love for sure.

@Crawley - That is a good idea. I will see how it looks. Thanks.

@Thunder @Metalloman - Small options such as numbered proficiency buttons in the installer is just not practical or a good use of my time. I might simply do a vote to see if they stay or go. Thanks for the feedback.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Archaic You can always open a new poll if you want to know what people think about the numbered skills. After some time I can just close the thread.
    @Archaic: I really like how you've designed those screens, especially the spell selection one.
    I really like that crossed pattern! :)

I also agree on what @mlnevese said about a temporary poll on the proficiency bullet design I.E.:
    • I like new;
    • I like old;
    • I'd like to choose what to install.
    You can use this escamotage every time you see people has different tastes (and of course if the choice deserves a poll). :)
    edited May 2013
    @Metalloman - I thought about it and decided the numbered bullets are going to stay for now. I'm more concerned about getting BETA 7 out when the new patch becomes available. Its a waste of my time to open a poll, take screenshots and then go back and remake buttons for such a small feature that you won't see very often. In the future if more people are unhappy with the numbered bullets I may consider dropping them. Thanks.

Side Note: In a future release (BETA 8.0?) I do plan to go back and give the secondary options & records screens some more love. The designs are very basic and I want to spice them up a bit more.
    Well, personally I like them, I just think that is good to have as many customization options as possible, in the future, just to cover a wider tastes slice and have as many users as possible. Of course this choice about numbered bullets is not prioritary nor urgent: I don't think mlnevese (me neither) wanted you to open a poll right now, that was only a suggestion appliable in the future, as you've also said. :)

[spoiler]
    Archaic said:

Its a waste of my time to open a poll, take screenshots and then go back and remake buttons for such a small feature that you won't see very often.

I think the poll suggestion was not for a redesign but for an installer selection between vanilla and yours but I might be wrong.
    [/spoiler]

About your note I personally like the actual design but I'm with you on every possible enhancement of the "already-enhancened": as everyone here, I've learned that everytime one thinks that you've reached the top, then you post something better and more awesome, so... go with my blessing! XD

• RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    Anyone who, like me, is waiting for that patch to replay BG:EE can wait a few more days/weeks, dont worry and keep up the good work Archaic.

It's not like SCS, BG1NPC, ... will fix themselves for the next patch much faster than you will the GUI, so hardly a problem for many of us who are waiting.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Is it virtually certain that this mod wont work with the new patch?
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Oh, and the new screens look great for beta 7 imo. In fact I wish there were more GUI mods of this quality (but different styles obviously) for BGEE, but yours seems to be way ahead of the pack at the moment.
    @Excalibur_2102 - I'm 99% sure beta 6.01 will not work with the new patch. Thanks.
  • KorendilKorendil Member Posts: 11
    I just wanted to say thank you Archaic. The mod is gorgeous and I'm really enjoying playing with it. I appreciate you dedicating so much of your time to bring us the mod, keep up the good work buddy. :)
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    AWESOME, I can't believe I just found out about this mod! To be honest I was expecting something like this from the original release, nice to have great mods. Please keep it up! :D
    @Korendil @Necdilzor - Thanks for the positive comments! Really helps me continue to drive forward knowing others are enjoying my hard work. ☻
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    edited May 2013
    The patch has been delayed, so no worries there. (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19010/patch-status)

EDIT: And this may be relevant "The new renderer opens up a number of amazing things, such as new UI layouts which were previously not possible. The new render system for the new fonts is brilliant."
    edited June 2013
    Quick Update: I've been sick the last few days so I've been taking it easy. I'm starting to feel better today and resuming work on the Character Generation screens. Looks like the patch has been delayed which is a good thing for AG users. This will hopefully give me enough time to finish BETA 7.0 in time. Thanks for everyone's support and patience.
This discussion has been closed.