Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 2)

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Not at this point, no. The support from the community so far today has been wonderful, though. Keep that up. :)
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    So no hope of us getting to know who we should send the hate mail to?
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2013
    I have a question about Weather effects improvements...

a long time ago Nathan said (where is he?!):
    Nathan said:

Better weather and day->night effects/transitions is definitely on the list.

...I hate to say it but this may be a feature that gets delayed due to the code-wrangling difficulties we've encountered to-date. But yes, this is for sure something that we want to overhaul.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2150/weather-effects-improvements/p1

Any information regarding this??

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Hate mail doesn't help anyone. :)
    Moomintroll[Deleted User]Sophia
    @Kaeloree
    It got the Extended Cut DLC made for ME3. It might yet save BG:EE and BG2:EE.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    @Malicron - I didn't like the Extended Cut DLC for ME3, and I think if people liked ME3's original ending we probably would have gotten that DLC as a paid DLC instead of a free one.

Also, @Kaeloree is right, sending hate mail doesn't really solve anything.

Again, I hope this issue gets resolved soon.

Hmm, I wonder if Beamdog planned anymore kits or subraces for BGEE and BG2EE? *shrug* I know I probably won't get an answer for this. :P
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited June 2013
    @SapphireIce101 All new content development had been paused to concentrate on bug fixing BG and BG2...

Except for the new NPCs, of course :)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Just some questions (it fit well in the ask us anything thread):

1° - Will be created new classes/kits before or after BG2 EE release? If the answer is positive, then will be that kit/class be playable in BG:EE as well?

2° - If new classes/kits gonna be created, can we members of the forum give suggestions to which should be created? Will these suggestions have any pragmatic effect or we're just losing time with this?
  • epettiepetti Member Posts: 7
    Question on save games. I know in the FAQ it says that save games are transferable between all platforms. But, are save games compatible with the original BG and BG2? I.e. could I use my save game from my non-enhanced version of Baldur's Gate on Mac to import into the beginning of BG2:EE. Or could I use a save game from non-enhanced BG or BG2 to load into BG:EE or BG2:EE? Probably a fringe case, but I actually played Baldur's Gate all the way through for the first time about two years ago and started BG2 but didn't get very far. Would love to use that character who I got attached to. Or are the new file formats for the EE completely different?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Potentially in BG2, but there's too much that changes between BG1 and BG1EE to allow a clean import. Even to BG2 you may experience some issues--and any of the new BGEE kits won't transfer correctly at all.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited June 2013
    General compatability of characters between different version of the game:
    Current status:

Bg1 -> Bg2 = Works
    Bg2 -> Bg1 = Doesn't work
    Bg:ee -> Bg1 = Doesn't work
    Bg1 -> Bg:ee = Not officially supported but does work
    Bg:ee -> Bg2 = Not officially supported, but does work (except if you have chosen one of the new prestige classes)
    Bg2 -> Bg:ee = Not officially supported but does work

note: You may have problems with a characters equipment if they have something which exists in once version of the game but not another.
    MalicronGrieg
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    I
    epetti said:

Question on save games. I know in the FAQ it says that save games are transferable between all platforms. But, are save games compatible with the original BG and BG2? I.e. could I use my save game from my non-enhanced version of Baldur's Gate on Mac to import into the beginning of BG2:EE. Or could I use a save game from non-enhanced BG or BG2 to load into BG:EE or BG2:EE? Probably a fringe case, but I actually played Baldur's Gate all the way through for the first time about two years ago and started BG2 but didn't get very far. Would love to use that character who I got attached to. Or are the new file formats for the EE completely different?

I can tell you this much... there is SOME compatibility between the two but you'll need shadowkeeper to fix some conflicts.

I used a bgee save in bg2... first and foremost the new kits obviously wont crossover and in fact wont let you import that character with the kit so you'll have to remove said kit AND any passive abilities granted by the kit before bg2 will accept the character. You'll also have to remove any items that do not exist in bg2.

Outside of that... the save seems to work.

I have a question for you Dee if you're still reading...

Will BG2EE be a separate game (with its own install folder and file system) or will it build upon our BG1EE install? One thing I've always been a bit annoyed with in bg2 is that some file names are reused from one item in bg1 for a different item in bg2. For example if you have a Ring of Wizardry (Evermemory) from BG1 and take it into BG2 (and cheat to keep your inventory) that same ring (same ID) becomes a Ring of Acuity. I'm hoping that things like that wont happen and that BG2EE will simply build upon BG1EE like the tutu system does and any perks in bg2ee will also translate over to bg1ee so we can enjoy a full playthrough with the new content.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    They'll be separate games.
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    I'm personally a very challenge-oriented guy, but some mods like tactics feel like pretty big cheese to me... Is there any plan to add another layer or two to the difficulty slider (That could also scale with said mods) that would add hp to the enemy? I always thoguht ennemies died way too fast in BG2. Something like.. impossible difficulty, +50% hp double damage?
    Is there any chance, in some point in the future, of getting the BGII voice sets in BGI, and vice versa?
    Wiggleskamuizin[Deleted User]Adul
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Malicron said:

Is there any chance, in some point in the future, of getting the BGII voice sets in BGI, and vice versa?

I've been wondering about this as as well. Also wondered about the BG2 portraits? Will they be available in BGEE after BG2EE is available?

AdulMalicron
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Will the Elven Chain be in BG2:EE like it was in the original and not have the thief skill penalties?
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    A request: please stream or record a skyped game of BGEE. Played by a party of the devs or any other familiar beamdog faces. As a bit of fan service, I for one would love it.
    Eleutheros
  • ValdemarValdemar Member Posts: 41
    Beamdog should include a voice-chat for multiplayer.
    Eleutheros
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Malicron said:

If even one of the owners of Baldur's Gate decides they don't like the idea of an Enhanced Edition, it's dead. So if Atari's portion of ownership is in question, Beamdog's contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on; whoever buys it can kill the EEs on a whim, as they're not bound by a contract signed by a defunct company.

It really does beg the question though. Presumably everyone involved is making money off of the thing. Unless they either (a) aren't getting a piece of the profits or (b) have more money than sense, standing up and trying to have the whole thing pulled only makes sense from the perspective of NOT. On the other hand, if they are merely trying to wrangle more money out of the deal, that at least gives the folks at Beamdog/Overhaul a thread to pull on.

Anyway, I do agree that hate mail won't be helpful. But if any sort of petition or other more positive form of support for the game would help, I hope that @Dee and the others will point the direction. I am sure we fans will all stand up and say "I am Spartacus" at the appropriate time/place. :)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Question:

So can you guys tell us any little timbit about projects you are currently working on now that BG is on hiatus? Anything to get excited for besides Trent's bbqing skills?
    JuliusBorisov
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Are you kidding?

Timbits are delicious, no way they're sharing with us.
    TJ_HookerCerevantWigglessterkelm
  • Magnus87Magnus87 Member Posts: 21
    Hi, i bought the game recently and started playing. I ve been hearing about the upcoming patch so i wonder how will the patch affect my saved games? Will i miss out on anything? How does it work? I wouldn't like to restart my game to obtain something new for instance (though i will do it ^^)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Magnus87 said:

Hi, i bought the game recently and started playing. I ve been hearing about the upcoming patch so i wonder how will the patch affect my saved games? Will i miss out on anything? How does it work? I wouldn't like to restart my game to obtain something new for instance (though i will do it ^^)

Some of the fixes may not work in your old save. Thats about it really.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Valdemar said:

Beamdog should include a voice-chat for multiplayer.

@Valdemar I've been using Skype for both BGEE and Starcraft, definitely works well, on top of continuing the chat in between games and during set-up.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Are you kidding?

They can atleast give us the Dutchie ones. No one eats those but they are better than nothing.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Are you kidding?

Meh. Tim Hortons was good when they baked in store. If you live in a big city find a baker and eat your donut holes fresh :)
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Im kind of annoyed that the shadow dancer isn't what its supposed to be for the class. It said right up front that there was a saves bonus of +1. Either thats through certain stats or not. I want to know will this be fixed or is there a way around it. I really want to use this class but refuse to do so without something that makes it better somewhat.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    In a future, a far future maybe, atm everything is frozen.
This discussion has been closed.