Skip to content

The 75 roll No-Reload/No Resurrection Challenge

Comments

• rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I love this thread.
    AdulEnterHaerDalisLoldrup
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

Savilous had heard nothing about Cloakwood but how dangerous it is, so he decided to take his band of heroes out on an ankheg hunt in order to forge some better armor before heading there. They could certainly use the experience as well.

After they had collected the shell from one of the stronger specimen, they took it to Taerom Fuiruim, the blacksmith of Beregost, who agreed to forge it into a full plate for no more than 4000 gold pieces. The process took three days however, so they needed to find some adventure to kill time.

The party traveled east, past the Song of the Morning Temple, and Savilous was glad he was scouting ahead in stealth when he found a whole nest of basilisks. He used the protection from petrification scroll he had bought at the Nashkel Carnival earlier and needled the beasts with a barrage of arrows.

Nearby, they found a garden of statues which primarily consisted of the petrified bodies of former adventurers and wildlife. They also found the perpetrator of that crime nearby, a mad gnome wizard who had lured people into his basilisk-filled deathtrap. The heroes of Nashkel put him out of his misery.

imageimage

They returned to town and Khalid got his new, lighter set of full plate armor that was very... green. His old set was inherited by Jaheira.

Now everyone was ready for Cloakwood.

Level-Ups:

Jaheira: 1 fighter level gained, rolled 3+1 for HP. Another entry in a long array of mediocre dice roles for this druid.
    Khalid: 1 level gained, rolled 4+2 for HP. Just like his wife, I've learned to expect very little from Khalid.
    Savilous: 1 level gained, rolled 1+1 for HP. Good thing he's an archer, or I'm guessing he'd already be dead at least thrice over.

Current Party:

Savilous: lvl 5
    Imoen: lvl 5
    Khalid: lvl 5
    Jaheira: lvl F4/D4
    Minsc: lvl 4
    Dynaheir: lvl 4
    EnterHaerDalisJuliusBorisovUrd1enlolien
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    It's great to see this thread still going, I just wish I had more time to play :(
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    edited August 2013
    yikes. I got killed infront of friendly arm in. Not very friendly
    SirK8EnterHaerDalisJLeeLoldrup
  • ForgottenMythForgottenMyth Member Posts: 60
    Decided to roll one up in memory of one of my first ever Original Baldur's Gate attempts (back before i was wise enough to use quick saves and reloads) where i basically lost the game because the main character was the only one left alive after the Centeol fight in Cloakwood and decided to equip a certain unidentified magic ring then had to save and quit before i realized what the ring did...

that 19 dex roll was too tempting to pass up :) i probably rolled about 20-30 times and ofc not every roll was 75 points, i wanted to go melee but now i think i will throw rocks at everybody.
    AdulJLeeStarflower2525BelgarathMTH
  • ForgottenMythForgottenMyth Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2013
    Accepting everybody's quests at FAI and taking Khalid and Jaheira along we get back Joia's Flamedance Ring and make our way south to hunt down the Belt Ogre. Our plan was to entangle him, but he rushed Jaheira she decided to run away and kite him. While we were all running Imoen somehow pathed out into the mountains to the north east and actually glitched off the map O_o
    No Imoen, Yer the queer fellow this time.

despite that little engine hiccup (or perhaps freak wild surge by a nearby mage??) we were able to shoot the Ogre to death and take his little collection of belts. Back to FAI to tell the tale and then we continue on our way south

Not much else on the road to Beregost but a few Gibberlings, Xvarts and a Wolf. Arriving in Beregost we rest at Feldpost's and head to Landrin's house, where we let Xzar go inside and see how big the spiders were. Now i was pretty sure i knew what was going to happen and thats why we let Xzar go in. Well he goes in the spiders all rush him and he comes running out the door screaming.

Outside the house the spiders have somehow jumped in front of Xzar and cut him off from safety. The rest of the gang shooting and throwing everything they can at the spiders while Xzar is running around like the psycho he is (*micro*) before finally getting cornered against the fence. somehow his 8 AC managed to save him from at least 5 attacks before the spiders got dumb and went for Balbo stabbing at them from the other side of the fence. And we stoned them all to death. also Xzar now is convinced hes currently being favored by Tymora so we will see how far that takes him.

Rest of Beregost was relatively uneventful, got Silkie before she started casting Lightning. Almost lost Jaheira to the Dwarf Assassin in the Red Sheaf, and told Neera to wait for me at the Friendly Arm. Hopefully ill be coming back for her soon (a wild mage would be a great challenge for this). In the Morning we make our way south again toward Nashkel with a bit of nagging from Xzar.

Took care of the Ogrillons and continued down the road to a Flaming Fist Mercenary and managed to diffuse the situation. We continue along the road to defeat a small band of Hobgoblins and at the end of the day we arrive in Nashkel. Stopping off at the Inn were attacked by another assassin who almost manages to kill Xzar while he was entangled (come on lady hes got 4hp)

After talking to the mayor we come across Minsc and Boo and decide to rescue his lady! Goodbye Xzar and Montaron, who's constant complaining about the deeds we have already accomplished finnaly drove poor Balbo mad and he told them to get lost. After a bit of rest our adventurers will set out for the Gnoll Stronghold!
    Im considering it... but im a patient halfling
    EnterHaerDalisAdulStarflower2525JuliusBorisov
  • raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
    I just finished the challenge!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    raxtoren said:

Care to share it with us? lol
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I kind of want to try this! It looks like fun. But, I'm just starting an IWD2 run that I want to keep working on, and also, I'm thinking maybe I'll wait for the patch. Good luck to all the current players, and I will enjoy reading about your runs.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    raxtoren said:

I think that would make you the first person who actually completed it then..

I'm curious what NPC's you finished with and what ones died. Oh and of course what your main character race/class and stats were
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Wow lots of great progress on this challenge from you all. It's been fun catching up!
    JuliusBorisov
    edited August 2013
    So after blowing through the Black Pits with an optimized party I got an itch to attempt this challenge again. I present to you Sir Gregor of Candlekeep:

He's not too bright, but he gets by on his intuition and natural charm.

Before leaving Candlekeep, Sir Gregor completed the normal tasks. He ran into a couple of assassins and hit one so hard he broke his sword while delivering a killing blow - quite exciting!

Sir Gregor came upon some questionable fellows, but they exploited his honor by giving him a healing potion in his time of need and then guilt tripping him into travelling with them to Nashkell as payment. He convinced them first to travel to the Friendly Arm Inn to meet some friends. Upon reaching Friendly Arm Inn they were beset by an assassin. Most of the group survived, but Xzar took a magic missile to the face.

The group met up with Jaheira and Khalid and agreed to travel with them. Sir Gregor felt much better about their company since they were friends of Gorion. He agreed to let Monteron stay in the group if he watched his behavior. As for Xzar, Sir Gregor felt little pity at his death and left his corpse to the innkeeper to deal with. The innkeeper would do well to not allow assassins to ambush potential guests.

Current Party:

Sir Gregor
    Jaheira
    Khalid
    Imoen
    Monteron

Deaths:

Xzar
    EnterHaerDalisAdulJLeeJuliusBorisov

raxtoren said:

I think that would make you the first person who actually completed it then..

I'm curious what NPC's you finished with and what ones died. Oh and of course what your main character race/class and stats were
    Yes, please share. Part of the fun of this challenge is sharing the journey!
    AdulJLee
    Sir Gregor and team set out to do some questing in the area. He'd like to get to Nashkel right away, but Imoen talked him into common sense... they needed some funding first. They take a wrong turn and run into a fellow Paladin, Adjantis joins the team despite Monteron's protests

Sir Gregor insists on hunting down an Ogre rumored in the area. Unfortunately in his haste they run across a dire wolf at the same time, chaos ensues.

Luckily the group prevails with nary a scratch. They return victorious to the Friendly Arm Inn to claim their reward.

Current Party:

Sir Gregor
    Imoen
    Monteron
    Jaheira
    Khalid
    Adjantis

Deaths:

Xzar

AdulJLeeJuliusBorisov
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited August 2013
    Ela the totemic druid has decided to undertake the challenge and stepped out into the world

• rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Hey, those are some pretty good stats she's got!
    After a good night's rest at the Friendly Arm Inn, Sir Gregor and company began to make their way toward Beregost. They spoke with a child who mentioned a caravan and bandits and after finding two caravans that appeared to have been raided, they decided to scour the area for any bandits and bring them to justice.

Alas they found nothing but gibberlings, gibberlings, and more gibberlings.

Eventually they ran into some wolves, who oddly enough attacked the group unprovoked. Jaheira was quite saddened by their unnecessary deaths and grumbled that had they made their way to Nashkel instead of chasing imaginary bandits all over the countryside the tragedy could have been avoided.

Empty handed, the group finally decided to keep heading South. They stopped in Beregost and met a friendly resident.

Current Party:

Sir Gregor
    Imoen
    Monteron
    Jaheira
    Khalid
    Adjantis

Deaths:

Xzar

JLeeAdulJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited August 2013
    This's a great thread!

It's been so tempting... So, I'm in too;)

Because I'm quite familiar with BG:EE I've decided to install SCS (24th) and try this 75-roll-no-reload-no-resurrection-challenge with SCS installed.

ASCE, an elven multiclass mage/thief, CN, STR 11, DEX 19, CON 8, INT 18, WIS 9, CHA 10 (I give a video of creating him below), having * in longswords and * in shortbows, all thieving points are spent on Move Silently, Find Familiar and Spook spells are known from the start.

Here's my log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Faster Bears: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures protection from Web and Entangle: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // More realistic wolves and wild dogs: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Improved shapeshifting: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4120 // NPCs go to inns: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5060 // Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6034 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat on difficulty settings of Hard or higher: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6044 // Smarter Priests -> Priests cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat on difficulty settings of Hard or higher: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved Spiders: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly harder carrion crawlers: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved doppelgangers: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved Ulcaster: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Improved Balduran's Isle: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Durlag's Tower: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Demon Cultists: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Cloakwood Druids: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Improved Bassilus: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Improved Drasus party: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Red Wizards: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Improved Undercity party: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7200 // Tougher chapter-two end battle: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7210 // Tougher chapter-three end battle: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7220 // Tougher chapter-four end battle: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7230 // Tougher chapter-five end battle: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7250 // Improved final battle: v24.05
    ~STRATAGEMS\SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7900 // Improved minor encounters: v24.05

To give the genuine evidence (that the roll hasn't been touched) here's a video of how the character has been created.

have a look - only 2 minutes;)
    SirK8rdarkenJLeeAdul
    @bengoshi Nice additional challenge with SCS! I like it.