#ConfessionsofaBhaalspawn

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Sjerrie, very subtle lol!!
    jackjack
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    edited March 2014
    Anduin said:

Confession: I play BG to leave the real world... The pyramid can be dark, damp and cold y'know...

I play ANY rpg to get away for a while, and "live another life". Playing a hero if you need a pick-me-up, or an evil asshole if you want to vent. As long as it has no negative influence on your real life, I see no problem with it. It's not as bleak as non-gamers sometimes seem to think.

There's a lot of mods already certified for EE @Anduin, and even those that are not fully might still be playable if you're a bit handy with scripts and dialog structure.
    BlackravenAnduinEmpyrialPibaro
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    Twani said:

Just to note, you can romance CN Anomen. I'm not sure why people are saying you can't. Just don't let him kill his father (that dialog branch is a bit hard to get through- save before doing it), and he'll be fine to romance. The romance is a bit different, in some lines: he talks about how he's happy to get rid of the Order to you, for instance, and he's a bit more forward then he is as LG.

Well smack me with a dopey stick and call me Krumm, I never knew that. Looked it up, and if anyone wants info/tips on how to do it, there's some stuff here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29164/anomen-romance-question-help
    BlackravenSjerrieSCARY_WIZARDRavenslight
    @Jenzafar Mother of Mystra he looks complicated. I want to romance him even more now.
    jackjackJenzafar
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2014

@Ballad, I agree with you on the lack of banter (though that is easily remedied with the BG1 NPCs mod).

It's funny that you prefer BG2's tactical challenge. In BG1 you face potentially deadly archers (bandits), rogues (Slythe, Silke), fighters (Greywolf, Sarevok), priests (Bassilus, Mulahey), wizards (Davaeorn, Mutamin, Red Wizards) and hybrids (Nimbul). This gives quite a lot of variety IMO. In BG2 on the other hand enemy arcane casters are prety much the only class that really constitute a danger to a decent party. Warriors, rogues, and (to a lesser extent) priests are not only less common as enemies but also generally easy to deal with. So in BG2 all you need to do to survive the most difficult battles is (learn to) cast the right debuffing spells on superprotected enemy mages, depending on the types of protections they're using. I find that this can turn battles into chess games that can become quite reptetive after a while.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post! Well, I have to say that you have a point, but I see thing a little differently. In BG1, I felt that most of the 'harder' enemies - Bassilus, Davaeorn, Mutamin, Nimbul and even Sarevok - could be beaten with very straightforward, bull-headed tactics. Most of my fights would look exactly the same: buffs, wands (fear, paralysis), greater malison, confusion/hold person/emotion, charge with fighters/rangers. When it came to lesser enemies, most of the time I didn't even need to cast spells at all. A single charge from the wand of fear would usually render my opposition defenseless so I could just proceed to pick them off with my rangers. Also, since most mages in the game seemed to lack effective defenses, I could easily interrupt them with an arrow/fireball before they could cast a single spell.

It might just be me, but I felt like BG2 had a greater variety of enemies and encounters that required unique, made-to-order tactics - enemies, that would wipe the floor with you unless you put in some serious thought and effort. Not just mages, mind you, though they definitely played a big part. Dragons, mind flayers, level-draining undead and enemy mercenary parties come to mind, just to name a few. And again, I don't mean to say that BG1 was totally bereft of challenging enemies: I really enjoyed facing the Greater Wyverns and the Demon Knight in Durlag's Tower, for example.
    Sjerrie said:

@Ballad, I agree with @Blackraven. Due to legal reasons fan-made mods could not be included in BGEE. I myself am playing BGEE with BG1NPC right now for the first time, and I don't think I'd ever want to play without it anymore.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9744/the-bg-npc-project

Check it out. It's not officially supported yet, but I got it running with the help of those who hang out there, with no significant problem sofar.

Oh, wow, I remember hearing about this a long time ago; it looks spectacular - I now feel sorta bad for having played the game without it. Anyhow, thanks for bringing this to my attention!
    SjerrieBlackravenbooinyoureyes
    edited March 2014
    @Ballad no worries!

Confession: I don't even remember the amount of times I played original BG2 before I got my hands on a copy of BG1, but I do remember I was also a little dissapointed. It might have been unrealistic thinking of me to hope for it to be just as immersive as its successor, but there ya go.

There are also a lot of other interesting mods for both BGEE and BG2EE. BG2Tweaks for example has been a must for me ever since I first discovered it, and since BGEE now has the same engine it also works there.

Edit: though if you're like me you may want to get a taste of all the original npcs before you go heavy on custom npc mods. ;) Happy gaming!
    CrevsDaakSCARY_WIZARD
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Confession: I too, @SapphireIce101‌, think saemon is alright. I have no grudge against him.
    @SapphireIce101& @meagloth, same here. I actually like Saemon. Have never killed him and probably never will. Which brings me to another...

Confession: I like Aran Linvail and even with an evil charname side with him and the Shadow Thieves. (Once did I side with Bodhi, but after having performed a couple of tasks for her I reloaded and sided with the Shadow Thieves).

Confession: I feel bad about killing Ragefast and usually avoid doing so.

Confession: like @AvengingExile I prefer the setting and storyline of BG1 over BG2.

Confession: I play with true grandmastery and multiclass grandmastery, which can be considered a cheat.

Confession: I've played so much that I turn the speakers off during BG2's Chapter One prison break transition and quote all the dialogue from memory.

... *raises hand*
    Confession: I've never played the Tales of the Sword Coast expanded content. (Is it any good?) I've done Watcher's Keep only once.
    I find it worth it.
    Better pack some heavy weapons though.

Confession: I love Korgan, and although bloodthirsty, I don't think he's that evil. Some of his greatest banter is with the good guys, and he fit quite well in one of my good-guy parties. (Still wouldn't want to bump into him in in a dark alley with a bag of coins in my pocket though...)
    jackjackBlackravenbooinyoureyes
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    ~
    Sjerrie said:

Confession: I've never played the Tales of the Sword Coast expanded content. (Is it any good?) I've done Watcher's Keep only once.
    Yes.
    meaglothjackjackNecomancerbooinyoureyes
    @SCARY_WIZARD that was actually a quote from @AvengingExile. Not sure if I cut it in two correctly. :p
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

Confession (last one!): The list of NPCs who have never been in my party:
    Alora
    Coran
    Faldorn
    Quayle
    Safana
    Skie
    Eldoth
    Kagain
    Tiax

You should have a great time if you try out some other party members and have a go at the ToSC quests. Be warned that Durlag's tower is a mini-adventure in itself on the order of Watcher's Keep in length, and you should probably not attempt until the party is around level 5; also

you'll want a Thief on board who has at least 85 in detecting traps, preferably 90 or above.

As for the NPCs I tend to get attached, and the idea of swapping out party members for the NPCs that aren't available until chapter 4 or 5 just never quite feels right to me. One way I have remedied that is to keep one or two slots open until I get those characters. The game often isn't actually that much more difficult for having fewer party members, but it usually does require some smart use of spells.
    JuliusBorisovSCARY_WIZARDBlackravenbooinyoureyes
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Confession: Durlag's Tower rocks my world.
    JuliusBorisovBlackravenCrevsDaakbooinyoureyes
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Confession: During many different moments which somehow seem appropriate to me, I listen to Tom Petty while playing Baldur's Gate.
    booinyoureyesBlackravenJuliusBorisov
    edited March 2014
    jackjack said:

Confession: During many different moments which somehow seem appropriate to me, I listen to Tom Petty while playing Baldur's Gate.

Well if it keeps your Paladin from free fallin', I guess there's nothing wrong with it. Especially if you can prevent even the losers you might have to put up with as your party members from a breakdown. Besides, it could make the waiting before battles more interesting, as well as your parties' treks into the great wide open.
    jackjackbooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303

jackjack said:

Well if it keeps your Paladin from free fallin', I guess there's nothing wrong with it. Especially if you can prevent even the losers you might have to put up with as your party members from a breakdown. Besides, it could make the waiting before battles more interesting, as well as your parties' treks into the great wide open.
    Don't come around here no more.
    jackjackbooinyoureyesAristillius
    @Flashburn they went up pretty fast lol
    BlackravenCrevsDaakbooinyoureyes
    Jenzafar said:

jackjack said:

Don't come around here no more.
    I'm sorry @Jenzafar, but I won't back down!
    booinyoureyesjackjackJenzafarAristillius