Skip to content

The Road to v1.3 (BG:EE), Phase IV

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @AstroBryGuy‌ So. I should be able to talk to Jaheria, right? That was not happening.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Hmm... Jaheira must have not gotten her DialogInterrupt reset to True. Accoring to the IESDP, the interrupt state is not saved, so you could presumably save, reload, and talk to Jaheira.

http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/scripting/actions/bgeeactions.htm (Action 179)
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I see the camera zoom bug is *still* not fixed?

After certain cinematics (e.g. entering candlekeep in chapter 6) the camera zooms all the way out and is stuck at that zoom level until you save/load the game. It's an extremely annoying bug, especially in BG2 where this happens all the time, particularly in boss battles. Can you please - after 6 months - fix this?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Headbomb said:

You didn't pay 50$ for anything. BG:EE was 20$ at its priciest.

And BG2:EE was $25. So, yes, I rounded up five dollars. You got me.
    Headbomb said:

If you don't want to beta test it, that's fine, no one has to do that. But there's absolutely nothing preventing you from playing BGEE 1.2 while 1.3 is being finalized.

I don't care about BG:EE. BG:EE is fine (and it only took them a year - I suppose that should have been enough of a warning, fool me once etc.). My problem, since November of last year, has been a complete inability to play BG2:EE without hitting bug after bug after bug, reloading over and over again until I finally gave up.

The devs know the game has a massive amount of issues, many of which are game-breaking, and they have done nothing - nothing - about it. On the contrary, rather than condescend to do the barest minimum for people who've already bought the game, they're pushing support further and further away: first they have to release 1.3 for BG:EE, then they have to put out BG2:EE on Android, and I'm sure some new stupidity will follow after that. Because, hey, why rush? They've already got my money, it's not like I can do anything about it.
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    With patch 1.3 can you wait to talk to Aldeth Sashenstar in Chapter 5? This would eliminate the bug that he won't talk to you unless it's chapter 4. I prefer to talk to him after getting Yeslick as a party member.
    @AstroBryGuy‌ The other issue is they both act, Jaheria and Khalid, as if the other is dead. They leave and join separately. They normally join together, leave together.
    edited July 2014
    Anduin said:

@AstroBryGuy‌ The other issue is they both act, Jaheria and Khalid, as if the other is dead. They leave and join separately. They normally join together, leave together.

The trigger for Khalid's dialog that you saw is he's unhappy and Jaheira is not in the party (not if she's dead or not dead). In your case, she isn't in the party. So, this dialog triggers. Then, he leaves the area.

The code for the XzarFight could certainly be improved.

You should report it in the Bugs section.
  • psyactpsyact Member Posts: 81
    shawne said:

The devs know the game has a massive amount of issues, many of which are game-breaking, and they have done nothing - nothing - about it. On the contrary, rather than condescend to do the barest minimum for people who've already bought the game, they're pushing support further and further away: first they have to release 1.3 for BG:EE, then they have to put out BG2:EE on Android, and I'm sure some new stupidity will follow after that. Because, hey, why rush? They've already got my money, it's not like I can do anything about it.

I'm pretty sure at least someone from the dev team has already stated that they're working on multiple projects simultaneously (it's not an either/or scenario). While they do only have a limited number of employees, it's not fair to say that they've done "nothing". Hand-waving away the progress they made isn't constructive, it's bitterness.

But it's a no-win situation for them. People complained about the time it took for the Android release of BG:EE, they complained about the bugs in BG:EE, and they're going to complain about these things for BG2:EE. So why would they prioritize based on how upset anyone is?

I've been burned by bad digital purchases before -- I know how you feel. I bought both of the EE games fully expecting that they wouldn't be to a level of my satisfaction for a long time, but I wanted to support the project and emphasize that I wanted to see them do this with other IE titles. I'd argue that the only way to prevent buyer's remorse for something you can't return is to wait for a few weeks after its release before committing to a purchase. That way you can check out the community response, see that the game is unplayable by your standards, and wait, or spend your money elsewhere.

I do think that the level of vitriol for a $20 purchase (unless you think BG:EE is also "unplayable", in which case $45) is probably a little over-the-top, but if you're really that upset about it, report Beamdog to the BBB (https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started).
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    psyact said:

I'm pretty sure at least someone from the dev team has already stated that they're working on multiple projects simultaneously (it's not an either/or scenario). While they do only have a limited number of employees, it's not fair to say that they've done "nothing". Hand-waving away the progress they made isn't constructive, it's bitterness.

It's quite fair to say they've done nothing, because the game is exactly as broken and buggy now as it was half a year ago. That's fact, not opinion. Their progress is meaningless because it hasn't resulted in any real, applicable solutions to existing problems.
    psyact said:

But it's a no-win situation for them. People complained about the time it took for the Android release of BG:EE, they complained about the bugs in BG:EE, and they're going to complain about these things for BG2:EE. So why would they prioritize based on how upset anyone is?

It's not about how upset people are, it's about which game needs it more. Plenty of people have attested here to the fact that BG:EE 1.2 is in much better shape than BG2:EE - why, then, has the focus been on "The Road to 1.3" since February? Why haven't we seen any support for faulty triggers, looping dialogues, self-replicating bosses and broken cutscenes in BG2:EE? Why are modders coming up with their own fixpacks - the one thing we were told the EEs would never, ever need?
    psyact said:

I do think that the level of vitriol for a $20 purchase (unless you think BG:EE is also "unplayable", in which case $45) is probably a little over-the-top, but if you're really that upset about it, report Beamdog to the BBB (https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started).

BG:EE was unplayable for the better part of a year (the time between 1.0.2048 and 1.2). That it works now is all well and good, and changes absolutely nothing in terms of how Beamdog handled that whole situation.

As for the BBB, I guess I don't see the point of engaging in any more bureaucracy. I put my faith in Beamdog, got burned, then let myself get suckered in again. That's on me - all I can do is make sure anyone thinking about buying these games knows exactly what kind of people are running the show here.
    edited July 2014
    *facepalm* There's a bug report section... Don't report bugs here... I'm too slow sometimes...

EDIT: This is not really a game breaker. And I actually have used it to separate Khalid and Jaheria successfully without needing to let one stroll into a fight against monsters naked...
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    psyact said:

To be fair, I think those two situations are a bit different. I myself had been one of the people eagerly awaiting the BG:EE Android release, and when the game did come for Android out I was glad it did and I bought it and played it. However, I didn't complain about BG:EE Android taking long while it was in development, because I knew Beamdog owed me nothing on that front. They were developing a product I was looking forward to, and that's all there was to it.

On the other hand, BG2:EE is a product that we already paid for, so I think it's much more valid to point out flaws with it and criticize Beamdog for not addressing them in a timely manner. This is why I think Beamdog would do the right thing (from a business ethics point of view) by prioritizing BG2:EE bugfixes over their other projects.

Of course, I also realize that they are probably under some contractual pressure to get BG2:EE released for Android, so I can also sympathize with them on that point. BG:EE 1.3 could still wait until after the BG2 fixes, however.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    edited July 2014
    Adul said:

psyact said:

Adul said:

To be fair, I think those two situations are a bit different. I myself had been one of the people eagerly awaiting the BG:EE Android release, and when the game did come for Android out I was glad it did and I bought it and played it. However, I didn't complain about BG:EE Android taking long while it was in development, because I knew Beamdog owed me nothing on that front. They were developing a product I was looking forward to, and that's all there was to it.

Yeah that is true, I second it.
    Adul said:

On the other hand, BG2:EE is a product that we already paid for, so I think it's much more valid to point out flaws with it and criticize Beamdog for not addressing them in a timely manner. This is why I think Beamdog would do the right thing (from a business ethics point of view) by prioritizing BG2:EE bugfixes over their other projects.

Of course, I also realize that they are probably under some contractual pressure to get BG2:EE released for Android, so I can also sympathize with them on that point. BG:EE 1.3 could still wait until after the BG2 fixes, however.

You know that some of the fixes on BG:EE are fixes that going to be in BG2EE as well. Also the BG:EE 1.3 patch is in the finalize stage so it a bit late to say that they should just leave it for after BG2EE bug fixes release and I won't be surprised if the patch for BG:EE 1.3 will be release this week or next week the latest unless something major will happen like a big ugly bug ;)
    Sure. I'm not saying change priorities now, but maybe next time focus on the game that needs it more, that's all.
    Adul said:

Sure. I'm not saying change priorities now, but maybe next time focus on the game that needs it more, that's all.

Yeah maybe but we don't actually know what theirs priorities considerations, after all we don't see the whole picture, we just know what they tell us and what we see from our side.
    edited July 2014
    kaguana said:

Yeah maybe but we don't actually know what theirs priorities considerations, after all we don't see the whole picture, we just know what they tell us and what we see from our side.

In that case: we need moar transparency!

Huh. I guess I do have a nitpick for every scenario. lol
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited July 2014
    kaguana said:

and I won't be surprised if the patch for BG:EE 1.3 will be release this week or next week the latest unless something major will happen like a big ugly bug ;)

If only. But no. We have a good while yet apparently:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/510657/#Comment_510657

Apparently I am unable to read.
    Chow said:

Neither of the Baldur's Gates was never unplayable. I got through both without encountering all too many bugs or issues: the only one I can remember is archers trying to get to melee when battle scripts are on.

I seriously have no idea where the "unplayable" is coming from, and it mostly sounds like you're overreacting to the point of frothing.

Different people have different experiences. My brother bought BGII:EE on steam (sadly I wasn't around to stop him) the last day of the summer sale and has been unable to play it. The text in the downloadable content descriptions is all garbled for some reason and the game crashes every time Imoen talks to him at the very start of the game. That can surely be filed under "unplayable" I think. His computer doesn't seem to be to blame as it's perfectly capable of running my non-steam version with no issues. Simply put his version of the game is broken and unplayable.
    Post edited by Silverstar on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

kaguana said:

and I won't be surprised if the patch for BG:EE 1.3 will be release this week or next week the latest unless something major will happen like a big ugly bug ;)

That is the patch for BG2EE. Kaguana is saying he/she thinks that the BGEE 1.3 patch will be released this week or next week.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    elminster said:

kaguana said:

That is the patch for BG2EE. Kaguana is saying he/she thinks that the BGEE 1.3 patch will be released this week or next week.
    Derp. And I always thought I was good at reading :(
  • FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    you know what, I don't know why but the clicking on mage book or priest book and highlighting the respected magic user is something I've always wanted and wondered why it wasn't there, so thank you for whomever decided to add that feature! Also thanks for the text size option.
  • FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    I'm playing on my macbook laptop, it plays ok so far, but the new text size makes the ui boxes a bit too cluttered. Is there no way to make the text boxes responsive in the UI? Also, it's been a long time since I've played, so I'm relearning how to play again, is there a way for my archer to find out his trap finding skill level other than when you level up?

I'm playing on my macbook laptop, it plays ok so far, but the new text size makes the ui boxes a bit too cluttered. Is there no way to make the text boxes responsive in the UI? Also, it's been a long time since I've played, so I'm relearning how to play again, is there a way for my archer to find out his trap finding skill level other than when you level up?

Archers can't find traps. Archers are a ranger kit. They can hide in shadows, but no other thief skills.
    elminster said:

kaguana said:

I'm a female. Thank you for correcting Silverstar mistake that I talk about BGEE and not BG2EE ;)

• Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    edited July 2014
    @PhillipDaigle what are your team up to? why the silence?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Zymran86 said:

The weekend, mainly. Don't worry, we're still very much active between Monday and Friday. :)
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Dee said:

Zymran86 said:

The weekend, mainly. Don't worry, we're still very much active between Monday and Friday. :)
    What is approximately the status of the patch?
  • EffinyEffiny Member Posts: 378

We have six things left to fix and test. One of them is a bit of a nightmare to track down, and it affects multiplayer, but the others should be done relatively quickly.

The quick loot bar is in and working, so for those of you waiting on that, it's coming. We're almost there now.

The work hasn't stopped on BGIIEE either, by the way. A lot of what you see in BGEE right now will directly improve the second game.

Only 6 things?? That's awesome! I really hope that the patch comes out this week. I'm dying to play all BG. I already prepared 10 parties. Hehehe...:-))