Skip to content

The Road to v1.3 (BG:EE), Phase IV

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @Headbomb I don't want to talk for @Silverstar, but I think his point wasn't that work is not being done for BG2:EE, but rather that since Beamdog had decided to prioritize BG1:EE 1.3 over patching BG2:EE, there are many important bugfixes for BG2 that were pushed off ahead while the devs have been working on the first game. Which, as addressed by many, is a game that's in much better condition than the second one is.

And it doesn't really matter how much work is being done for either game when it's pretty much confirmed that we do not get a BG2 patch until BG:EE 1.3 and BG2:EE for Android are released. Ergo, as far as our copies of the EE's are concerned, BG:EE 1.3 is delaying the BG2 patch.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    edited July 2014
    Adul said:

multiplayer is an important part of the game (for me) that seems to have been ignored during development and since release.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but multiplayer was never an important part of the game. It's a mainly single-player experience, an epic story of a hero's rise and adventurers, not something to play with friends.

The issue here isn't that the multiplayer doesn't work, but that there's one at all. If there is one that works great, then more power for all of us, but if it doesn't work, it's just kind of a pointless tease: without that tantalizing "Multiplayer" button, I bet the thought wouldn't even have seriously occurred to you, but now that it is there, you complain.

But once you accept that and stop complaining about it, it'll get better. Then you and your friends can go play Diablo or something, a game that actually was designed around multiplayer.
    Post edited by Chow on
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Chow‌
    Yes, lets just ignore a feature of the game that's been there from the very beginning despite the fact that the title "Enhanced Edition" implies a certain degree of improvement. I mean, who wants perfection? Pshh, that's for nerds.

Why don't we all bury our heads in the sand while we're at it?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited July 2014
    Chow said:

Adul said:

multiplayer is an important part of the game (for me) that seems to have been ignored during development and since release.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but multiplayer was never an important part of the game. It's a mainly single-player experience, an epic story of a hero's rise and adventurers, not something to play with friends.

The issue here isn't that the multiplayer doesn't work, but that there's one at all. If there is one that works great, then more power for all of us, but if it doesn't work, it's just kind of a pointless tease: without that tantalizing "Multiplayer" button, I bet the thought wouldn't even have seriously occurred to you, but now that it is there, you complain.

But once you accept that and stop complaining about it, it'll get better. Then you and your friends can go play Diablo or something, a game that actually was designed around multiplayer.
    If multiplayer was never an important part of the game then why re-release the game with matchmaking and emphasize cross platform compatibility? Why have so many people for years been playing the original two games through either gameranger or hamachi? If multiplayer was never important then why are there currently 57 different playthrough/games being hosted for BGEE 1.2 and about 72 for BG2EE?

People should be able to play the game as they want to play it. I would say that complaining about the status of multiplayer at this point is entirely valid.
    edited July 2014
    Adul said:

It wasn't tacked on.

Yes, it was.

You like multiplayer. That's great, more power for you. But Baldur's Gate really isn't a very good multiplayer game, and it was never an important feature for it - or else there'd have been less plot and more loot, I'm sure. Ditch the puzzles, more boss monsters and party dynamics. Raids, maybe.

Besides, multiplayer takes out NPC banter entirely, and why else would you even play the whole thing? NPC banter is the best part of it!
    Fair enough, though I find it odd they would've done so in the first place. Perhaps to get the MMO group to buy the game?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited July 2014
    Considering the original was released before the onrush of MMOs, I doubt it. Along with the intent of releasing the game on multiple platforms came the idea to make multiplayer cross-compatible. As others have said, it remains a work in progress.
    Well, they did have Ultima Underworld and Everquest by that time...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited July 2014
    How well suited Baldur's Gate is to multiplayer is irrelevant. How important we individually consider multiplayer to be is irrelevant. The original had it and EE is supposed to be the original plus more. It's supposed to be better. Currently, if I understand the forum correctly, the multiplayer is actually worse than the original's. So naturally fixing that is important. Personally I don't care overly much but I still manage to see how not fixing it would be a bad idea.
    Post edited by Silverstar on
  • IneffableIneffable Member Posts: 5
    Chow said:

Adul said:

It wasn't tacked on.

Yes, it was.

You like multiplayer. That's great, more power for you. But Baldur's Gate really isn't a very good multiplayer game, and it was never an important feature for it - or else there'd have been less plot and more loot, I'm sure. Ditch the puzzles, more boss monsters and party dynamics. Raids, maybe.

Besides, multiplayer takes out NPC banter entirely, and why else would you even play the whole thing? NPC banter is the best part of it!
    I can't seem to find the rate-down button...? (/s)
    Chow said:

What you describe is your preconceived notion of what a multiplayer game should focus on. Sorry to say: I don't share it. There is no reason for a multiplayer game to focus less on story and more on loot. That has been the case with many multiplayer games, but that in no way makes it an objectively better approach.
    Chow said:

Besides, multiplayer takes out NPC banter entirely[...]

No, it doesn't. You can play any style of BG party in multiplayer, including the 1 PC / 5 NPCs lineup that you typically see in single player playthroughs. I should know, I play Mazzy in our current game. And no, multiplayer does not disable banters, they're still very much there.
    But if you want your multiplayer game to focus more on story and such things, why not play an actual tabletop RPG? Get your friends around the same table, pick up some books, roll some dice, and make up an actual cool story of your own.

Probably end up having even more fun that way. I should know.
    Chow said:

But if you want your multiplayer game to focus more on story and such things, why not play an actual tabletop RPG? Get your friends around the same table, pick up some books, roll some dice, and make up an actual cool story of your own.

Come on, really? Why eat an apple when you could eat an orange? Why study engineering when you could be a doctor? Why do anything instead of something else?

Okay, fine, here goes:

Because maybe you prefer playing Baldur's Gate multiplayer over tabletop RPGs. Or maybe you and your friends are just in the mood to play BG. Or maybe you just don't have anyone in your group who is willing to DM. Really, the possibilities are endless there.
    edited July 2014
    Adul said:

Why eat an apple when you could eat an orange? Why study engineering when you could be a doctor? Why do anything instead of something else?

But it's the exact same thing. You claim you want story and puzzles and dungeons and such things, and also play with friends. Tabletop RPG has everything you're looking for, everything you claim you play Baldur's Gate multiplayer for.

The only difference is that you don't need to follow the whims of a gaming company and its lateness. You don't even need an internet connection.

And what do you mean no one would want to DM? It's the best job of them all. That someone gets to DM should be another perk, not a drawback!
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    ^I second that. Stay on topic here!
    Whoops. Didn't even notice we were drifting off it.

looking forward to IWD:EE ;-)

So do I, but judging by what we've seen so far, you and I are going to look forward to it for a long, long time.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    edited July 2014
    Dee said:

Modder Features

- Clswpbon.2da "GETS_PROF_APR" value can now be set to 1 to allow non-warrior classes and kits to benefit from APR bonuses
    @Dee

Does this mean that a character with 2 pips in a weapon will gain 0.5 APR (1 APR for 5 pips) even if he is not a Fighter ? Or does this mean that a character edited that way will gain 0.5 APR at level 7 and 13 ? Or both ?

Do you plan to add in the future a similar .2da file to allow non-warrior classes and kits to benefit from Constitution beyond 16 for HP bonus ?

Thanks in advance !
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

looking forward to IWD:EE ;-)

Icewind Dale is a great game, but I doubt we'll see anything come of this. The Baldur's Gate fanbase is much more active and passionate (for instance there is no forum like this dedicated to the Icewind Dale series). I don't see the financial upside of a IWD rework, especially when they're still hard at work perfecting these two.

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Gotural said:

Do you plan to add in the future a similar .2da file to allow non-warrior classes and kits to benefit from Constitution beyond 16 for HP bonus ?

That already exists, but for all of the non-warrior classes (HPCONBON.2DA). I would also like a specific 2da for that (so you can put particular kits in there).
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Dee Sorry for the summon. I have a small bug I think and I need clarification.

Xzar and Jaheria had the "Zhentish and Harper chat" the prelude to Xzar and Montaron, Jaheria and Khalid having a fight (cool!). They then started fighting, but Jaheria then had the, "I openly question your judgement chat" as if she had been kicked out, as soon as Xzar bit the dust (I killed him, if that makes a difference). Montaron is still around somewhere... He hid himself!

I feel that they booted themselves out the party. They should not need to have a chat with me about being booted, just the rejoin chat.

Anyway, it does not break the game in any form what so ever... But were aiming for perfection here.
    And... More...

Khalid had the chat with me when Montaron died! He had his doubts!

Should he be having this kick out talk at all?

No. I have encountered a bug. Khalid walked off. Jaheria stayed put. But I could not talk to her. The screen then turned black. Will try to make it happen again using ctrl-i .
    Okay. I can reproduce. Have a save game that may help, crt-i to get the speech and the fight. I can talk to Jaheria but only on reloading a save after the event. It may be caused by me having a low rep?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Anduin - The way that the Xzar-Monty vs Jahiera-Khalid fight works is that each NPC gets a LeaveParty() command and a DialogInterrupt(False) to prevent the player from stopping the fight by trying to command the NPCs to "stand down" (or get one side slaughtered) or interrupting it by starting a dialog with the NPCs.

The DialogInterrupt is reset to true when one side is dead or can longer be seen.

When Khalid talked to you after the fight, your reputation was low enough that he won't rejoin you. While Khalid will stick with a party as long as the reputation is 3 or above, he won't join/rejoin a party with reputation less than 6.