Skip to content

The Road to v1.3 (BG:EE), Phase IV

Comments

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    There was a time when people didn't give a damn about bugs. Or at least not enough to immediately stop playing and weep for a year until the patch came out.

If you're so excited to play the game, then go and play it. I'd wager that whatever bugs this new fix is going to deal with, or the smallest of fraction that you're actually going to see in-game, aren't going to snip out of your entertainment all that much. It's still a great game, you know.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited August 2014
    @shawne I definitely get where you're coming from and I'm not saying you're wrong about any of that, it's just that I'm excited about Adventure Y regardless of how much of a mess I predict it to be at release. I have kind of developed a tolerance for working around bugs in the EE's, out of necessity.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    why to pessimist about adventure Y that even isn't out??? really lets just hope for getting our patch for BG1 this week so we can allllllll play it with the new stuff in it already and Dee said no new bugs sooo "Let's whack something eeeeevvvvilllll" ;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This thread isn't for talking about Adventure Y, folks. Please start a new thread in General Discussions if you want to talk about Adventure Y.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Chow said:

There was a time when people didn't give a damn about bugs. Or at least not enough to immediately stop playing and weep for a year until the patch came out.

If you're so excited to play the game, then go and play it. I'd wager that whatever bugs this new fix is going to deal with, or the smallest of fraction that you're actually going to see in-game, aren't going to snip out of your entertainment all that much. It's still a great game, you know.

I'm going to politely suggest that you do some back-reading before jumping into a conversation where you clearly have no idea what's being discussed.
    edited August 2014
    What the hell is Adventure Y?
    shawne said:

I'm going to politely suggest that you do some back-reading before jumping into a conversation where you clearly have no idea what's being discussed.

Does the game crash literally every time you try to play it? Are there quests that do not work no matter what you try? Does it all just freeze up every five minutes?

No? Thought so. The game is perfectly playable.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Chow said:

No? Thought so. The game is perfectly playable.

Thanks for making my point for me - BG:EE isn't the problem here.
    shawne said:

Thanks for making my point for me - BG:EE isn't the problem here.

I never said "BG:EE", now did I? I just said "the game". Apply it to BG2:EE, and absolutely nothing will change.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited August 2014
    @shawne and @Chow‌ I see this line of conversation getting more and more off topic and less civil; either drop it, or take it to PMs. This isn't the place for it.

EDIT: Thank you, @shawne‌
    Chow said:

What the hell is Adventure Y?

An expansion-in-the-making for BG:EE. You can read up about it here.
    edited August 2014
    Dee said:

EDIT: Thank you, @shawne‌

I'm not done!

...Pff, fine. PMs it is. Edit: Yeah nevermind, looks like we're done.
    Adul said:

An expansion-in-the-making for BG:EE. You can read up about it here.

Oh cool, something to look forward to, happily and cheerfully and without tantrums about how long it's going to take.
    Post edited by Chow on
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Okay... I always had bad cases of restartitus, but now I have a bad case of nonstartis kicking in...

I just cannot play again... Knowing that patch 1.3...

Is nearly...

nearly...

here...

This week or the next?
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    I look at all of this delay this way: yes, the game is buggy at some points, but it _is_ very playable in its current form. I already played it all the way through, twice.

It is also taking a very long time for OG to patch the game for a third (is that correct?) time. But, it is also very cool of them to do this. I don't really see them making much more from their BGEE products than they already have, and most publishers would move on to other ventures with that in mind.

(They should stop messing with my gaming schedule, however, because I have a couple of weeks without my SO after this weekend, and I'd like a BGEE 1.3 to be my wife during those trying times!)
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    kaguana said:

why to pessimist about adventure Y that even isn't out??? really lets just hope for getting our patch for BG1 this week

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
    And being a pessimist is awesome - you only get good surprises!
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328

kaguana said:

why to pessimist about adventure Y that even isn't out??? really lets just hope for getting our patch for BG1 this week

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
    Faith precede miracles!
    Adul said:

And being a pessimist is awesome - you only get good surprises!

But you won't be able to enjoy them because you're too pessimistic to. 'Tis only temporary, after all. We're all doomed.
    BG is anything but temporary. And I enjoy it immensely, regardless of my outlook on reality. :)
    Then you're not a pessimist.
    @Chow Ever notice the two of us can only ever talk about things not related to the topic at hand? Must be an ancient curse or something.

Well, anyway. We should probably move on before someone else tells us to. If you really want to discuss the definition of pessimism with me, there's always PMs.
    Pass.
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Tech question... after the patch is released the procedure is to first uninstall mods, then install the patch and then reinstall mods right?
    I assume all variables and such set by mods (like the npc project) will be unaffected so people won't have to start a new game AFTER applying the patch?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @KingGhidorah‌, all mods should automatically be removed when patching if you are using the Beamdog or Steam version (they should be do some verification of game file prior to the update). Other platforms may require the user to uninstall the mods first. After the update, just reinstall the mods.
    @Troodon80‌ Thanks for the info... So progress you made in mods (like an NPC project romance) will be unaffected by the procedure?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Yes, that information should be held in your save game. Some original issues that the patch addresses will not work retrospectively and once broken in a save will only work properly in a new game because the contents of your save will remain untouched. As the patch is for original content your mod part should remain unaffected.

I'm trying to think of an example, think this was one case. In ToB the unpatched BGII:EE bards could not lay snares, this was patched but only became effective if a new game was started and any bards who had started before the patch were left without snares for the duration of their game.
    @Gate70 Thanks! Now, back to anxiously anticipating the patch...
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

Tech question... after the patch is released the procedure is to first uninstall mods, then install the patch and then reinstall mods right?
    I assume all variables and such set by mods (like the npc project) will be unaffected so people won't have to start a new game AFTER applying the patch?

If any of your mods just sit in the override folder you can move them to "Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/override" and the patch will not touch them when it updates. When the game updates it only touches the files in "Program Files/BeamDog/Games".
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.