Skip to content

Keeping Yoshimo is now available for EE and Mac! (spoiler for newbies to BG2)

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
edited August 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
Warning: If you have never played BG2 there is a pretty major spoiler here. For the ideal gaming experience I would recommend that you back out of this thread now and play the game first, then return here afterward if you're curious about this mod.

At long last, thanks to @CrevsDaak the Gibberlings 3 mod Keeping Yoshimo is now available at Gibberlings 3 for download for BG2EE, both PC and Mac. In a nutshell, this mod
  • allows players to keep Yoshimo for the entire saga
  • adds dialogue re: Yoshi's betrayal of the PC (his spying b/c Irenicus' Geas)
  • adds an entirely new subplot for Yoshi with dialgoues and an encounter
  • adds a Tree of Life dialogue for Yoshimo
The download link on the page linked above will be updated in a day or two. But it will direct to this thread which provides the latest download and version updates, and links to report bugs and compatibility issues with other mods.

This mod has modest aims. Basically, it allows you to keep Yoshimo to the end of ToB. In order to do that a new story was created, a subplot for Yoshimo if you will. It consists of dialogues about why Yoshimo cannot join you for your excursion to Spellhold. Yoshimo removes himself from the party in Brynlaw and then rejoins the party after you have completed Spellhold. We also decided to add an encounter (battle) just for fun. The mod also includes the option to change Yoshimo's alignment to Chaotic Good.

If you can give this mod a go and provide feedback either at the G3 forum or here if that's easier for you, we will greatly appreciate it!

Major props to @CrevsDaak for taking this on. The mod has languished in Alpha status at G3 for the last five years due to lack of a coder, and Crevs graciously stepped up to update it for EE and Mac. I wish we could give him a boatload of promotes for it, but he clearly deserves at least one!
Post edited by Lemernis on
MetallomanCahirRavenslightCrevsDaakronaldowuthering20ElrandirlolienJuliusBorisovKerthalNonnahswriterelminsterDexterSirBaldurjackjackAstroBryGuyButtercheesemlneveseFrozenCellscmorganMidoriMontresor_SPrede9Mantis37Raistlin82gorgonzola

Comments

• SedSed Member Posts: 790
    I'll try it for my next run.. I added Coran as a thief this time around :)
    CrevsDaak
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    This is awesome! I loves me some Yoshimo. Thanks so much @CrevsDaak I want to give this a try now but my BG2EE has several mods already installed. Is it going to mess up any other mods if I add this now?
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited August 2014
    There's just one thing I have to point out, it's much better to install this mod last because it needs to change Yoshimo's death variable, which might be used by other mods, so if you want to keep compatibility, install it last in EE and BG2 Mac installs (BG2 Windows installations patch BGMain.exe).

You don't need to worry about stuff added by other mods--everything is done by patching instead of replacing files.

Edit: well, @ronaldo‌ ninja'd me ;)
    Yeah, it's better if install it last--to easily upgrade to newer versions and because of what I said before.
    That works great then. Downloading now.
    So Dropbox won't let me download the file without making an account?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2014
    Hmm, hadn't thought about that! According to this page at Dropbox the posted link should be accessible by non-Dropbox users. Maybe @CrevsDaak can tweak as needed if something needs to be set a little differently (e.g., a box that needs to be checked or something like that) for the download link?
    @Lemernis It does give me the option to download without signing up but when I choose that it just takes me back to the same point. The download never begins.
    @ronaldo‌ try again if it works with this link. If it doesn't work, I'll see of uploading it somewhere else (I haven't confirmed my email, maybe that's why it wasn't working).
    @CrevsDaak Just tried but get the same thing happening. Sorry to be such a pain. I guess I can just sign up.
    @ronaldo‌ download the mod from here instead if you want. Also I just made a new update so that version in Dropbox is already old ;p
    ronaldololien
    @CrevsDaak Success! Downloaded and installed great.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    I think I might just add this anyway to my current run. Since Coran is an archer, and ranged sucks in BG2, I think I'll just replace him with Yoshimo.
    jackjack
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 243
    Problems with download, when I open the link the page says "Nothing here". Another link if possible?
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, I have now updated that page with the newest link. For convenience sake here is the download.

JuliusBorisov
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 243
    It worked!

Thanks man.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PeLLeT_RSDPeLLeT_RSD Member Posts: 55
    Can`t wait to test it!
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    I will have to test this out ^_^ though this is going to make things interesting when Imoen joins since now I have to decide on someone else to kick out for her.
    @iavasechui not to spoil re: your concern but

A sea captain will offer safe passage back to Athkatla for any one of your party members if you wish. As we know, you don't make it right back to Athkatla. But whoever you boot will be found there when you finally do get back there.
    Oh nice~
    I keep getting installation errors, I normally have no problem with installing these things so not really sure what went wrong.
    edited August 2014
    Are you installing the mod in the folder that has the CHITN.KEY file? For BG2EE that is typically C:\Program Files\BeamDog\Games\00873. For Windows 64-bit it is typically C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00873.

Or are you installing it for Mac or original BG?

The installation errors should produce a DEBUG file for the mod that you can open with Notepad. Can you please post the DEBUG file contents here?
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    http://gyazo.com/edf3498016a130368477b66b6c64febf

I get this when I try to install it, I am attempting to install it for windows bg2:EE I have successfully installed previous mods with no errors so I'm not sure what is going wrong here. Not entirely certain as to where the debug file is I cannot find anything labeled debug in the main folder or in the mods folder...
    I think the debug file should be generated by the error and it shows up at the same level as the setup application.

Hmm. Let's see what @CrevsDaak says. He da coder.
    CrevsDaak
    @iavasechui‌ looks like what I got here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/33678, which isn't the mod's bug, but rather one introduced in the game by the EEs and that affects WeiDU.

Which mods are you using btw? I would like to know if there's any incompatibility or if I just could easily fix this.
    jackjack
    ummmm a lot?
    edited August 2014
    I have to wonder about compatibility between the Yoshimo Friendship mod and ours, as I see you have that one installed. In a similar vein, there's also Yoshimo Romance.
    OK, now ALL of the existing allegiance checks with ANYONE in the EE will be changed (to check for NEUTRAL)--enough of treating them as specific files.
    And this means... New version! Which is available here.

I'll stop updating the Dropbox version since some people had problems downloading it there.
    jackjack
    Ah so should I uninstall the friendship mod? Or will the new version work with it?

Ah so should I uninstall the friendship mod? Or will the new version work with it?

I didn't work in any type of compatibility with that particular mod, so it's up to you, but I'd say it's more because of a *conceptual* incompatibility but I'd still recommend to uninstall the Yoshimo Friendship mod. If you want to try using both--I'd be glad you do so, so if there aren't any issues (besides the conceptual clash) we could see of removing it from the non-compatible list.
    The problem was in fact the Yoshimo Friendship Mod, as soon as I removed that this installed just fine.