Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• Jade_KittenJade_Kitten Member Posts: 5
    Oh, okay. I have managed to find a workaround by giving me XP with cheats to advance a few levels until the game automatically gave me Enrage (why does this happen? shouldn't it be given at level 1 only?), and then I reverted my XP/levels/every stat back to where it was before, retaining Enrage :)
    Troodon80CrevsDaak
  • KerthalKerthal Member Posts: 68
    Hi @Troodon80‌ !

Just wondering if you intend to include IWD:EE in EE:Keeper when the game will be out.

Thanks a lot for what you've already done for us so far :)
    Sjerriejackjack
  • supergoji18supergoji18 Member Posts: 11
    Can someone help me please? I've just experienced the Luck proficiency bug and i need to get EE Keeper to fix my characters proficiencies. But every time i try to load EE Keeper it says:
    "EE Keeper was unable to read the text resources. EE Keeper must be able to find this file to work properly. Make sure the installation Path and Language (if applicable) has been set to the correct directory and reload the game resources."
    How do I find this directory? I am currently using Mac OSX 1.6.8. and I downloaded this game from the App Store (not the Beamdog website). I have tried various files in the installation path but none work. can someone help me?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @AstroBryGuy‌ might be able to help with Mac related questions.
    jackjack
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited September 2014
    Hello,

The location you need is actually inside in the BGEE app package. Here's how to set it up.
    • Go into EE Keeper.
    • Select "Settings -> Installation Directory" from the application menu bar (not the OS X menu bar).
    • Click on "Browse BG:EE" or "Browse BG2:EE", depending on which game you want to set up (if you have both games, do both).
    • This should bring up a "Browse for Folder" window. Click the "+" symbols to expand the selection tree to "Desktop -> My Computer -> Z: -> Applications".
    • Then, find "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app" (or BaldursGateII-EnhancedEdition.app") and click the "+" symbol to see the folders inside the app package.
    • Find the directory "Contents -> Resources" inside the app package. Select the Resources folder and click "OK".
    EE Keeper is looking for a save game in the following location: "Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save"

The Beamdog installer creates a link to the directory "\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\" in your Documents directory, letting EE Keeper find the save directory. Unfortunately, the Mac App Store version doesn't do this.

You can tell EE Keeper to use a custom save directory. There's a selectable option when you bring up the screen to open a save game. Select the Use Custom Save directory option and then click the Browse button. Depending on which game you're currently using, the custom save location is different:

BGEE:
    Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\

BG2EE:
    Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save\

If you want to set up the links to the Documents directory for EE Keeper, see this comment.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/530379/#Comment_530379
    Troodon80
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @Troodon80 will it be compatible with IWDEE?
  • GolmarGolmar Member Posts: 5
    @Anton
    Troodon80 said:

@Kerthal @Sjerrie‌, I don't know what my intentions are at this moment in time. :-)

Once the game is released, whenever that is, I'll try to get an update out as soon as time permits.

from a few posts above ;)
    Kerthaljackjack
  • supergoji18supergoji18 Member Posts: 11

Hello,

The location you need is actually inside in the BGEE app package. Here's how to set it up.

• Go into EE Keeper.
    • Select "Settings -> Installation Directory" from the application menu bar (not the OS X menu bar).
    • Click on "Browse BG:EE" or "Browse BG2:EE", depending on which game you want to set up (if you have both games, do both).
    • This should bring up a "Browse for Folder" window. Click the "+" symbols to expand the selection tree to "Desktop -> My Computer -> Z: -> Applications".
    • Then, find "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app" (or BaldursGateII-EnhancedEdition.app") and click the "+" symbol to see the folders inside the app package.
    • Find the directory "Contents -> Resources" inside the app package. Select the Resources folder and click "OK".
    EE Keeper is looking for a save game in the following location: "Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save"

The Beamdog installer creates a link to the directory "\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\" in your Documents directory, letting EE Keeper find the save directory. Unfortunately, the Mac App Store version doesn't do this.

You can tell EE Keeper to use a custom save directory. There's a selectable option when you bring up the screen to open a save game. Select the Use Custom Save directory option and then click the Browse button. Depending on which game you're currently using, the custom save location is different:

BGEE:
    Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\

BG2EE:
    Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save\

If you want to set up the links to the Documents directory for EE Keeper, see this comment.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/530379/#Comment_530379
    Oh my god! Thank you!
    @Sjerrie, problem is, this time, I can't think of a way to make 'Documents' not confusing. What I'm looking for is three or four words that can define or sum up \Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\
    • Without referencing 'Documents' (since the original BG2 used the games' installation directory).
    • Without using the INI file as an identifier since you need to actually start the game at least once, which is going to be a problem for people who just want to copy their saved games from an iOS or Android device.
    • Without referencing 'save' (saved games is fine, but needs to avoid being ambiguous with something like 'save folder') so that people don't get confused and select \Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\
    Here's a basic mock-up.

Ideally, it wouldn't be 'Directory containing the saved games folder' since that's going to be ridiculously long winded when it comes to translating to certain languages, and especially since it is only supposed to be a caption. There's even potential confusion with that as well, since each 'saved game' has its own folder, and they are contained within the 'save' folder—what I need to reference is one step back from the 'save' folder. I can do some explaining in the information box, but I'm stumped on a label for this.

What I'm trying to do here is limit potential confusion—noting, of course, that it's impossible to completely negate the potential of anything.

Any ideas?
  • CrypticWizardCrypticWizard Member Posts: 10

Can someone help me please? I've just experienced the Luck proficiency bug and i need to get EE Keeper to fix my characters proficiencies. But every time i try to load EE Keeper it says:
    "EE Keeper was unable to read the text resources. EE Keeper must be able to find this file to work properly. Make sure the installation Path and Language (if applicable) has been set to the correct directory and reload the game resources."
    How do I find this directory? I am currently using Mac OSX 1.6.8. and I downloaded this game from the App Store (not the Beamdog website). I have tried various files in the installation path but none work. can someone help me?

I'm having this same issue on my PC. I downloaded the game (BG1, not 2) through Beamdog. I set it up to look in the \save\ directory buried in the Documents folder but it keeps bringing up that message. So what do I need to do?
    @CrypticWizard, in the initial setup, you need to point it to the game directory—not the save directory. :-)
    edited September 2014
    Troodon80 said:

@CrypticWizard, in the initial setup, you need to point it to the game directory—not the save directory. :-)

I tried that, and got the same result. Do I need to redo EE Keeper for it to work?

EDIT: It was looking for the Dialog.tlk file so I just copied that to the 00766 directory and now it works.
    Troodon80
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    edited September 2014
    @CrypticWizard are you using the most recent version of EEKeeper? I haven't had to do that for ages...

@Troodon80 Were you planning on translating yourself? Would it be an idea for some of those harder-to-translate-and-still-be-understandable parts to ask for help in the specific language forums..?
    Troodon80
    @CrypticWizard, if that's all it was, then you probably needed to set the language in the Installation Directory settings dialog. There should be a list of languages available.

@Sjerrie, I wouldn't dream of doing a disservice to other languages by trying to translate it myself. No, I contacted a few people on the forum to do that—that work belongs to them, as does the credit.
    Sjerrie
    I need at least a couple people to read this and make sure it is understandable before I commit to it being translated:
    EE Keeper needs to know where you installed the game.

Game Profiles
    To create a new settings profile, enter a name for it and then press 'Add'. After it has been added to the list you can set the installation directory, game language, and user save data folder locations. Once the required settings have been added, press 'Apply' to store them to your profile. To create a new settings profile after that, enter a new name—overwriting the old one—and press 'Add'. Proceed as already mentioned from that point.

Installation Directory
    Press the 'Browse' button to browser for the BG:EE or BG2:EE directory. For BG:EE or BG2:EE, this is usually a numbered folder such as 00783 for BG2:EE. For Steam, this will be different. If you are using a stand-alone launcher, please do not use that as the game directory—for example, the actual default directory for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on Microsoft Windows is \Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766.

Game Language
    Use the language drop-down to select the language you use in-game - please note that this is required unless you are using a TLK file located in the main installation directory and not in the \lang\ folder.

User Save Data Directory
    In order to load saved games, the directory where the 'save' folder resides must be selected. In the case of the Enhanced Editions, this will be \Documents\[...] - Enhanced Edition\. In the case of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal, this should be the same as the installation directory as that is where the save folder is located. If you are transferring save games from a portable device (iOS or Android) and placing them into a uniquely named folder, for example C:\mybgsaves\, then use that location and check the box next to the option labelled 'Use Custom Save Location'.
    In other words, from reading that, post the steps (list form, 1) step one, 2) step two, etc.) you think are required to set up Keeper. I'm trying to limit potential confusion, but this seems too long. If anyone has suggestions on how to simplify this, I'm open to those suggestions. :-)
    CrevsDaak
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    edited September 2014
    This is never easy. Feel free to ignore or mix and match :)

Game Profiles
    To create a new settings profile, enter a name for it and then press 'Add'. After it has been added to the list you can set the installation directory, game language, and user save data folder locations. Once the required settings have been added, press 'Apply' to store them to your profile. To create a new settings profile after that, enter a new name—overwriting the old one—and press 'Add'. Proceed as already mentioned from that point.
    ---
    To create a new game profile such as BGEE, enter a name for it and then press 'Add'. Then you can set the installation directory, game language and user save data folder locations for that game before pressing 'Apply' to store them to the profile. To create another profile such as BGIIEE, enter a new name over the old one and press 'Add'. Proceed as already mentioned from that point.

Installation Directory
    Press the 'Browse' button to browser for the BG:EE or BG2:EE directory. For BG:EE or BG2:EE, this is usually a numbered folder such as 00783 for BG2:EE. For Steam, this will be different. If you are using a stand-alone launcher, please do not use that as the game directory—for example, the actual default directory for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on Microsoft Windows is \Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766.
    ---
    Press 'Browse' to navigate to the game directory (ending in 00766 for BG:EE or 00783 for BGII:EE)
    - The Beamdog default location is xxxx
    - The Steam default location is xxxx
    - The stand-alone launcher default location is \Program Files\[...] Enhanced Edition\Data\00766 etc.
    - If you have selected a custom install location you will need to specify that instead.

Game Language
    Use the language drop-down to select the language you use in-game - please note that this is required unless you are using a TLK file located in the main installation directory and not in the \lang\ folder.

User Save Data Directory
    In order to load saved games, the directory where the 'save' folder resides must be selected. In the case of the Enhanced Editions, this will be \Documents\[...] - Enhanced Edition\. In the case of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal, this should be the same as the installation directory as that is where the save folder is located. If you are transferring save games from a portable device (iOS or Android) and placing them into a uniquely named folder, for example C:\mybgsaves\, then use that location and check the box next to the option labelled 'Use Custom Save Location'.
    ---
    To load saved games the directory where the 'save' directory resides must be selected.
    - For Enhanced Editions this will be \Documents\[...] - Enhanced Edition\
    - For original versions (Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal) use the game directory.
    - For a custom save directory, specify that folder and check the 'Use Custom Save Location' checkbox. e.g. for transferring saves from a portable device (iOS or Android) to a folder such as C:\mybgsaves\

In other words, from reading that, post the steps (list form, 1) step one, 2) step two, etc.) you think are required to set up Keeper. I'm trying to limit potential confusion, but this seems too long. If anyone has suggestions on how to simplify this, I'm open to those suggestions. :-)
    Troodon80
  • bwbishopbwbishop Member Posts: 1
    What is the install directory for the Steam Edition? I can't seem to get it to work.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Troodon80 said:

Sjerrie, problem is, this time, I can't think of a way to make 'Documents' not confusing. What I'm looking for is three or four words that can define or sum up \Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\

• Without referencing 'Documents' (since the original BG2 used the games' installation directory).
    • Without using the INI file as an identifier since you need to actually start the game at least once, which is going to be a problem for people who just want to copy their saved games from an iOS or Android device.
    • Without referencing 'save' (saved games is fine, but needs to avoid being ambiguous with something like 'save folder') so that people don't get confused and select \Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\
    Here's a basic mock-up.

Ideally, it wouldn't be 'Directory containing the saved games folder' since that's going to be ridiculously long winded when it comes to translating to certain languages, and especially since it is only supposed to be a caption. There's even potential confusion with that as well, since each 'saved game' has its own folder, and they are contained within the 'save' folder—what I need to reference is one step back from the 'save' folder. I can do some explaining in the information box, but I'm stumped on a label for this.

What I'm trying to do here is limit potential confusion—noting, of course, that it's impossible to completely negate the potential of anything.

Any ideas?
    Maybe make the user select the game first, make a check with the bifs in Data/*.bif to see which game it is and then add another string in the cases of BG2/IWD/whatever ;)
    Also, "Directory containing the saved games folder" in spanish is "Directorio de los juegos guardados", which is actually shorter :P (which is weird since spanish is actually a more verbose language than english, and tends to extent things by ~16%).
    @bwbishop, if you right-click the game title in your Steam library and press Properties, then go to Local Files, then Browse Local Files. That should bring up the exact folder. Just copy and paste the URI from the address bar into the textbox in Keeper.
    edited September 2014
    Sjerrie said:

@CrypticWizard are you using the most recent version of EEKeeper? I haven't had to do that for ages...

As far as I know, I downloaded the most recent version. To be honest, I don't really know why it worked. I just noticed that the error message that kept coming up said "Cannot find Dialog.tlk" so I put the file where EE Keeper was looking. That solved the problem, so it's all good.

Sjerrie
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    Hi all! I'm writing to kindly request a feature that I suspect might be appreciated by many :-)
    It is about a matter that has been discussed in these topics:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1002/request-npc-transition-from-tosc-to-soa
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34479/party-npcs-consistency-bgee-bg2ee

To summarize, the desired feature was to find in BG2 the characters you left in BG1 exactly as they were.
    It has been already pointed out that it's quite unfeasible, but I have an idea.
    Well, we know that EEKeeper can open save files, edit characters and so on, and, most important, manage both BG1 and BG2. This is roughly what I had in mind, given that we have BG1 and BG2 installed, and the final save from BG1 (the one used to import charname).

- We start BG2, we meet a character who belonged to our former party and we recruit him/her again
    - We save the game, exit, and open EEKeeper, which at this point will have at its disposal two save games with the same character (i.e. Edwin from BG1 and Edwin from BG2).
    - We click on, let's say, a "import and override" button, and EEKeeper will modify BG2 Edwin according to his BG1 counterpart. Stats, hit points, xp points, spellbook entries, proficiencies, maybe inventory and anything else I'm not remembering, will be imported and assigned to the "new" character.

Technically these are operations that EEKeeper already is able to manage, what we're missing is this sort of automation that takes care of everything without the need to mess with the character's properties.

What do you think @Troodon80? Personally I would very much appreciate this feature, since I'm playing a no-reload game without xp cap, and I particularly care about realism and role play. Many others would be happy of it, I'm sure of it ;-)

@Blash, to a certain degree, the functionality is already there. What you can do is open a BG:EE saved game, go to 'Tools' and select 'Convert to CRE'. When the character is saved under a name that can override an existing character, for example "IMOEN10", it will use that character instead on a new game. Once you've saved as appropriate, you'll probably want to copy and past from the BG:EE override to the BG2:EE override, unless you selected that when saving.

I don't think it is feasible, at least right now due to a shortage of time on my end, mainly due to there being so many variations of a single character.

Take Imoen, for example. You could take the final save from BG:EE and copy Imoen over to a new saved game. You lose Imoen quite early, so those changes will probably be nullified once you get her back. There are currently 20 copies of Imoen (some are used in scripted scenes and don't actually matter) in BG2:EE. That means once you get her back, you'll have to load up that old original final save and 're-import' all those details and then you'll probably want to set the experience as something similar to the other party characters.

It would be a mess to try and deal with, and that's without thinking about local variables being stored as creature effects. I will take a look once I get more time to spare, but I foresee the answer probably being 'no.' :-)
    I'm not fully understanding your explanation, @Trodoon80.
    If I simply open a BG2 save and manually modify some character's parameters, wouldn't these parameters be kept from that moment on? This is how EEKeeper is supposed to work, I wasn't thinking about override folder, or exporting a character as a whole through a file, but simply modifying this character intervening on the save file.
    edited September 2014
    @Blash,
    Blash said:

If I simply open a BG2 save and manually modify some character's parameters, wouldn't these parameters be kept from that moment on?

For that embedded character file, yes. When you're dealing with only the protagonist, who never leaves the party, this isn't an issue. However, when dealing with a character that joins the party—it becomes slightly more complicated. The game is supposed to detect what level your character is and create potential party characters (not currently in the party) based on that. There are only certain instances where this occurs after your have picked up a character—unfortunately, Imoen is one such case. When you pick her up from the Asylum, she's not the same character that was kidnapped at the beginning of the game. At least as far as I recall.
  • I can confirm that from my current playthrough; Imoen did not retain any of the scrolls she scribed during Irenicus's dungeon. The Imoen you pick up in Spellhold is a separate, pre-made CRE file.

Basically, in order to do what you want, you would have to take your "import" information and use it to create new CRE files for every point at which you might possibly pick up an NPC (most of them have 3 or 4, IIRC), or else mod the game to use the same CRE file regardless of your level (which would keep them from scaling to your level, which may or may not be a disadvantage).
    Troodon80
    Troodon80 said:

@Blash,

Blash said:

If I simply open a BG2 save and manually modify some character's parameters, wouldn't these parameters be kept from that moment on?

For that embedded character file, yes. When you're dealing with only the protagonist, who never leaves the party, this isn't an issue. However, when dealing with a character that joins the party—it becomes slightly more complicated. The game is supposed to detect what level your character is and create potential party characters (not currently in the party) based on that. There are only certain instances where this occurs after your have picked up a character—unfortunately, Imoen is one such case. When you pick her up from the Asylum, she's not the same character that was kidnapped at the beginning of the game. At least as far as I recall.
    Let's put aside Imoen for a moment. If I export, let's say, Minsc and Jaheira's CRE files and put them in the override folder, would I meet them exactly how I left them? And won't there any problem since they don't come and go like Imoen, right?
    Kaigen said:

I can confirm that from my current playthrough; Imoen did not retain any of the scrolls she scribed during Irenicus's dungeon. The Imoen you pick up in Spellhold is a separate, pre-made CRE file.

This is definitely to be considered as a bug, @Dee (or anyone else is reading). Not retaining scribed spells is not justifiable in any way, neither from a RP point of view, nor from any else.

@Blash, if you override any possible files for Minsc or Jaheira then, yes, you would meet them in BG2:EE exactly how you left them in BG:EE. I think there are six or seven files for Minsc, and something similar for Jaheira.
    Blash said:

This is definitely to be considered as a bug, Dee (or anyone else is reading). Not retaining scribed spells is not justifiable in any way, neither from a RP point of view, nor from any else.

The reason why I would say it is justifiable from a technical point of view is because by the point you reach her, she's a 'different person' so to speak. When you speak to her upon arriving at the asylum, so doesn't even recognise the player character.
    SjerrieBlashCrevsDaak