Skip to content

And you make it sound like it's good news?

SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
I know I will get fireballed for this, but: for me this is bad news. It only means even less resources for the BGII patch which we're waiting for since November 2013 where we still have different versions on all platforms and glaring to gamebreaking bugs. I was an evangelist and had bought four EE versions of BG and BGII. My son is still waiting for the multiplayer I had promised him last Christmas.

No more.

A company that so blatently disregards its existing customers, continously overstretches their resources and is deaf to any argument will ot get any more money from me, at least until they have shown a change of heart and at least three patches for IWD are out (2020 I'd assume going by past performance).

It really pains me to say this but it's time to put my wallet to where my mouth is. I really really loved the company and that they support mac but there is no learning from past mistakes visible at all.
Post edited by Dee on
ErgRafaelLVXshawneKharadorryuken87KristijonasTuth

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    In fact, I think Beamdog used the beta-testing of the 1.3 patch for BG:EE, first of all, as a beta-testing of the engine, that is used also in BG2:EE and IWDEE. Now I think this is the main reason that patch took SO LONG to be finished. Testing the things in BG1:EE in fact they tested the things that will work in IWDEE.

For this reason I don't think the announcement of IWDEE will postpone the patch for BG2:EE. The delay already took place and, majorly, I think they've tested everything about the engine that will work for BG2:EE.

So, after the 1.3 patch for BG:EE was released, the work on the 1.3 patch for BG2:EE is basically about fixing quest and dialog bugs. If compared with other issues that are already solved it won't take the same time.

Moreover, I think that IWDEE is already nearly 99% ready. All that time while the beta-testing of the 1.3 patch for BG:EE has been made, the new game has been created. Now they just polish it. If not, why do they estimate a time before the release as only a month?
    FandraxxjackjackGoturalkaguana
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I kinda agree, however, Icewind Dale is only announced with no release date. I am pretty certain this was the the "other projects" they started working on when Atari went through the bankruptcy and they couldn't work on any BG content for some extended months.

I am patiently waiting for the patch for BGII as well and I know it is coming soon and much before Icewind Dale is released. I'd also want them to release a fully polished patch than one where they fix one thing and break another, so patience is needed. How much, depends on how well the next patch performs.

But good on you, talking with your wallet. No one is making you preorder and it may even be beneficial to wait for a sale if you are interested in IWD.
    Nimranmlnevese
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    @shawne Exactly, I've been arguing again and again not to overstretch and at least fix the low hanging and serious/gamebreaking bugs in a fast patch or two instead of fiddling with nice to have stuff and taking on too many projects and platforms. I feel completely ignored and am correspondingly disappointed and even beyond gallow's humor.
    ErgshawnerorikonQuartz
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Skaffen: Well, like you said, vote with your wallet. I'm not buying IWD:EE, and I'm not buying Adventure Y - that's about all that we can do, short of trying for a refund (which is legally complicated, but not impossible, due to the amount of time that's passed).
    ErgelementQuartz
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited September 2014
    Edit: posted by mistake.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    shawne said:

@Fandraxx: If anything, the fact that Beamdog is supposedly "working their asses off" proves @Skaffen's point - BG2:EE still has nearly 400 confirmed bugs almost a year after launch, despite all that effort.

I mean, people here are rolling out the "they're a small group!" defense as if we're somehow forcing Beamdog to take on these projects. If they don't have the resources to support the games they've got now, why should anyone believe IWD:EE will be any different?

Skaffen said:

@shawne Exactly, I've been arguing again and again not to overstretch and at least fix the low hanging and serious/gamebreaking bugs in a fast patch or two instead of fiddling with nice to have stuff and taking on too many projects and platforms. I feel completely ignored and am correspondingly disappointed and even beyond gallow's humor.

Bugs happen. Squashing them creates more bugs. They'd probably be a lot further along if not for the Atari fiasco, but it happened and they're not further along. Separate teams handle bug squashing and developing the project, so it's not like they're not on it. Also, the BG:EE patch they just recently released is the main platform of effort for BG2EE's next patch and IWDEE's release version, so they've gone past one major hurdle and are ready for the next.
    ElrandirArcalian
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited September 2014
    Klatuu Verata Neck-tie.

Apparently Colombian neck-tie from the looks of things in this thread.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Mathsorcerer has the right of it.
    the_spyderCrevsDaak
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I haven't started BG2EE, except to test out some changes to Irenicus' Dungeon. I haven't even finished BGEE yet! The farthest any of my parties have gotten so far is....hrm....just getting into the city in Chapter 5. I think I have too many irons in the fire right now.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited September 2014
    @Mathsorcerer You have all the irons in the fire... are you the one who keeps stealing my luck? :p

@Skaffen and @Shawne - It's kind of beating a dead horse at this point for me to point this out, but exactly how much experience do you have at computer program development?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Skaffen said:

The company is putting new cashflow from new products and platforms ahead of keeping the people who have already paid happy.

As much as I would like to play IWD, but I will spend my money elsewhere

I think their business model is shortsighted and unsustainable in the long run. Happy customers with good word of mouth will sell more products in the long run than a ponzi scheme of always shiny new products trying to win a new segment of the market.

This!
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I wouldn't accuse anyone of Ponzi scheming or similar frauds. It is clear, however, that in a few regards Beamdog seem to not be able to satisfy their customers (maybe because of putting too much on their platter). I don't think they do so on purpose, however, but the problem is there.
    shawne
This discussion has been closed.