IWD:EE Joinable NPCs - A vital question

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

(imagines Norah Jones as She-Hulk)

Mmmm...Norah Jones.
    Mmmmmm...She-Hulk.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited September 2014

Oh, he'll be there. But he won't be waking up.

He IS the talking floating skull.

Mind. Blown.

Alright, let's make it happen.
  • jones0901jones0901 Member Posts: 51
    i wish they'd add core npcs. I think it would give us a good opportunity to see how well the devs write new content, since they have stated they want bgIII or to kick start something of their own. I understand the opinion that its not in the spirit of the game, but it seems like anyone who didn't want to use the npcs could still make their own, and if they wanted to get all the content out of npc side quests, you just do it like bg2 city quests. just an opinion,
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Daunt said:

Here is how simple this matter is, really, and I'll give you a key word hint: Options.

I've played through IWD mostly the way the game was designed, without JNPCs, and I've also played through Kulyok's IWD NPC mod a couple times. Did I enjoy that, too? Sure I did, it was different from vanilla IWD and it was fun in its own right too, and I'm glad that mod was put together.

I don't think anyone has suggested making IWD:EE so joinable NPCs cannot be added through mods anymore.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Dee said:

In fact, since it's built on top of the EE engine, I think it was pointed out already that adding joinable NPCs as mods is more feasible than it ever was with vanilla IWD.

You heard it here first. JNPC supporters, get crackin' on some mods! Hell, I'll alpha/beta test them for you.
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2014

Dee said:

In fact, since it's built on top of the EE engine, I think it was pointed out already that adding joinable NPCs as mods is more feasible than it ever was with vanilla IWD.

You heard it here first. JNPC supporters, get crackin' on some mods! Hell, I'll alpha/beta test them for you.
    This may or may not have been mentioned as I didn't bother to read the entire thread. But there is currently a IWD mod that adds recruitable npc's which banter and romance. I am sure, that just like the BGEE and BG2EE, that the IWD mods will get converted. Especially with the large interest in optional npc's.

I am not interested in having npc's as part of my core party, but the option to have a couple would have been nice. I do think that the devs missed an important element here... an element that does influence whether or not people buy this type of game.

With the announced additional content, and the reactions I have read on the website forums I follow... I hope they didn't hope to "make money" off of this game, as the vast majority of posts/threads I have read, show people not wanting this game.

(Personally I am interested and will get it, but there are many who won't bother).
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Honestly I'd like a mod with joinable NPCs or the ability to switch out one NPC with one in your import list or something. No doubt some people decided to try out the kits in the game only to have regrets and have their whole run tanked because of it.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    with so much freedom in IWD unlike we have in BG:EE, JNPC here could be gold.

By myself, i would like hard to get JNPCs, as "want me in your party? Word hard for this", consequence by follow the game with certain NPCs (some quests changed/refused by these NPCs when in the party) and some hostility between them would be nice also.
    Generally I like using my imaginations with my own party's campaigns, as well as crafting stories in my head about how they met and what relations they have with each other. Kills the time in-between murdering crap and story dialogue with NPCs.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    that looked exciting, till i read this:

`Each character comes with a new, original portrait, full voicing, interactions with the PC and each other, and quest commentary and interjections. Romance is also in the bitterly cold air...`

WOuld i be able to turn off the romance thing? I find they tend to be incredibly cheesy and dull. They tend to start up conversations at random and annoying times; just gets in the way.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    In all seriousness though I haven't tried the NPC mod so I can't comment on how its romances work :)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I played through IWDNPC on the original IWD. It's a great mod. Kulyok did a really terrific job with the characters and dialog. I played IWD2 after an IWDNPC run and half-expected Kulyok's NPCs to be referenced in IWD2, if not make cameos.

Well, at least Korin, since he's an elf and would live long enough...

The romances are not a separable component, IIRC. But, I don't remember the romance dialogs cropping up at bad times, like the middle of battles.
  • ProteusProteus Member Posts: 40
    I know it's a game and everything, but I imagine it might be really painful for the characters trying to get a romance going while trekking through a mountain range with the temperature at a constant 20 below.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Pregogaming!
    I still can't believe someone in the writing department thought it was a good idea for Aerie to give birth to Charname's child in the middle of the game. That screams "horribly weird". At least the epilogue was cute.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Wowo said:

Proteus said:

I know it's a game and everything, but I imagine it might be really painful for the characters trying to get a romance going while trekking through a mountain range with the temperature at a constant 20 below.

Sounds like the perfect time time. You know, conservation of body heat and all that.
    It opens up some very mushy dialogue options.

"The freezing chill of this barren wasteland could never asphyxiate the fire of my passionate heart as it yearns for you."
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

I still can't believe someone in the writing department thought it was a good idea for Aerie to give birth to Charname's child in the middle of the game. That screams "horribly weird". At least the epilogue was cute.

what weird about childbirth? that's how you came to this world too.
  • QuitchQuitch Member Posts: 17
    If we're going to complain about ToB romances, let's at least complain about the right thing: Jaheira suffering a brain reset between SoA and ToB.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Hey ppl, let's get back on topic plz, before we force the closure of this thread.
    edited December 2014
    bob_veng said:

what weird about childbirth? that's how you came to this world too.
    It's not the childbirth aspect as it is that they decided to write her in as getting pregnant rather quickly in ToB, then not even that long later, in the short span of however many days it takes to get far enough in the romance line (definitely not 9 months, that's for sure) she gives birth right on the spot, sometimes during extremely awkward situations. It makes absolutely no sense and the whole written thing is absurd. Viconia's romance? They leave the whole child-bearing thing for the epilogue. Same with any other epilogue involving romance.

As for IWD's Joinable NPC project, I tried it out just recently, and all I gotta say is my God, those stats are AWFUL. Like literally every character has poo-poo stats. It makes my re-roll addicted self want to cry. A ranger with 15 strength!? a Fighter/Thief with low strength and high dex, but focuses on two-weapon fighting!? BLECH!