Skip to content

Best IWD party setup

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Dwarves can't be druids in this game (without using an editor).
    CrevsDaak
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Welkin said:

I've all the usual noob questions so rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just post my party here and if anyone wanted to answer any of my questions it'd be much appreciated.

Undead Hunter, dual long swords
    H.Orc, F/C, dual blunty things
    Druid, Scimitar/Shield, H.Elf or Dwarf?
    Gnome thief/ill, staff/short bows
    Elf, F/M, Bow/Two handed?

Probably a bit of powergamer and although I'm going to try and be more varied I've never been big on buffs and would rather fight it out and debuffing when I need to.

5 characters but 3 multiclasses. Will this group level ok or will it be a bit slow?
    The F/C is a late addition as I figure I needed another tank and only had one healer, would Dwarf be better, +1 str vs the bonuses?
    Druid, should I bother dual classing a few levels?
    I never liked thieves and was going to dual a thief into mage just to get some cover for traps but thought mc would work as well without needing to play too much without any thief skills
    The mage, will mc gimp him so that I'd be better off dual classing or going straight sorcerer?

Last one, I can't remember with weapons can you switch between two weapons and bows without unequiping? Not sure about a weapon for mage whatever way I play it, F/C bows and 2handed or dualing something like daggers, longsword + dagger.... shield?

Will be slow(ish) on Normal, every other difficulty will be more than ok

F/C: HOrc > Dwarf

HElf multi F/D otherwise dual from Ftr

No

No; 2Handed & Bows only
  • WelkinWelkin Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the responses, last question I'm still undecided on how to include the thief skills. Like I said I never really use pickpocket or backstabbing I just need someone to open locks and disable the odd trap the tanks don't blunder through and survive.

If I plan on mainly using him as an archer and for a basic iwd run, would the t/ill be the best option or would something like an elven fmt or even a f/t (leaving only a f/m for arcane magic) or something else again be a better option?
    JuliusBorisov
    Gnome I/T is fine for that role, although an Elf F/M/T could arguably be a better archer; however, with only 5 chars thus far you do have scope to add a Bard for some additional arcane casting. Nevertheless, either a Gnome I/T or an Elf F/M/T are more than sufficient.
  • WelkinWelkin Member Posts: 14
    Cool I was trying to keep the party to 4 or 5 for the extra xp though for a basic play through on hard I guess even with 6 and a few mc I'll be ok. I might bring in a bard then seeing as they're rated so highly and a class I've never played, then I can switch to a f/t and really max the archery.
    RAM021
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    So I was thinking about ideal parties and I started considering the idea of doing an insane run followed up by a HoW difficulty run with the same party.

How much experience would something like this return?

Would characters such as:
    Swashbuckler (30) / Mage (31)
    Swashbuckler (35) / Cleric (40)
    Kensei (30) / Mage (31)
    Kensei (30) / Druid (31)
    Kensei (39) / Thief (40)

Be possible?

Obviously I'd have to carefully consider whether it would be better to only take a few such characters as dualing 5 such all together would be pretty much suicide.

I realise this isn't ideal but it would be pretty cool to have a thief with +18 damage from kensei and grandmastery. You know, after getting 8 million xp as a vanilla thief.

Going higher than 13 kensei is obviously to gain fighter HLA's so if I stopped short of the maximal combination it would be after considering the amount of HLAs that I have vs what I need in IWD ... Input is welcome :)

Obviously a fighter/Mage/thief is an easier solution than a swashbuckler/Mage though it misses out on +6 damage (which doesn't seem worth the pain).

Swashbuckler/Cleric on the other hand is basically a fighter/cleric/thief that is impossible any other way. Though arguably better to just go with one fighter/Mage/thief and leave it at that.

The kensei does bring a huge amount of damage to the table ...
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Max level for any class is 30 unless you use a mod.
    jackjackCrevsDaaksemiticgoddess
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    There is no such thing as a "best" party.
    jackjack
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894

I disagree. But it is different for each individual.
    Shikao
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153

I think it is pretty clear that the purpose of this thread is for everyone to submit their idea of a 'best' party.
    semiticgoddessQuartz
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    AFAIK the best party is the one you manage to complete the game with. No matter if you have power gamed characters or an entire party of multi-classed ones...
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    edited November 2014
    Who wants to try...?:

3 bards, vanilla + skald + jester
    1/2 orc cleric thief
    human berserker ---> druid
    gnome barbarian

Just seems too novel off the top of my head :D
    RAM021jackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Anaximander‌ seems cool but I'd rather have more Divine Spells for early game and… a bit less of music :p:D (but yeah, I yet haven't played IWD so I don't know if that would really work).
    jackjack
  • Darigaaz87Darigaaz87 Member Posts: 135
    How good is the standard party? I just played a couple of hours with it, but seems a bit weak even for the normal difficulty.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Frogman said:

I think it is pretty clear that the purpose of this thread is for everyone to submit their idea of a 'best' party.
    That is exactly what I did. My idea of a "best" party is "there is no 'best' party".

• FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153

Frogman said:

That is exactly what I did. My idea of a "best" party is "there is no 'best' party".

Awesome. Thanks for your contribution.
    Quartz
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    The best party is one that suits your play style. Mathematically, you might say that the inclusion of a bard is necessary for an optimal party. But I just don't like them.

How good is the standard party? I just played a couple of hours with it, but seems a bit weak even for the normal difficulty.

I think it simply illustrates how much easier minmaxing stats makes the game.
    by_the_sword
  • GuboGubo Member Posts: 75
    My party composition:

Half elf skald
    human cavalier
    dwarf fighter/cleric
    half elf fighter/druid
    half orc barbarian
    gnome illusionist/thief

I believe I have all of my bases covered including any special class specific stuff.
    I've decided to avoid "optimal" parties, and use themed parties instead.
    CrevsDaakjackjacksemiticgoddess
    Gubo said:

I believe I have all of my bases covered including any special class specific stuff.

Cleric of Tempus apparently gets something; Tyr might as well... but you have the Paladin, Druid, Bard trio covered.

kEEper your F/C to Ftr/Tempus? ;-)
    CrevsDaakjackjack
    Fardragon said:

I've decided to avoid "optimal" parties, and use themed parties instead.

Yeah, I also think that's a good idea, but I made this thread to get an idea of what a powergaming party is in IWD.
    jackjack
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Fardragon said:

It's worth noting that the Easthaven townsfolk have something unique for each race, but you only grt it the first time you speak to them, so you have to find a different townsperson for each race in your party.

Interesting. Can you elaborate?
    Klorox said:

Fardragon said:

It's worth noting that the Easthaven townsfolk have something unique for each race, but you only grt it the first time you speak to them, so you have to find a different townsperson for each race in your party.

You can talk someone into giving you thier life savings if you are the right race.
    RAM021JuliusBorisov
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Fardragon said:

Klorox said:

Fardragon said:

You can talk someone into giving you thier life savings if you are the right race.
    Ferret?
    CrevsDaakRAM021JuliusBorisov
    @Nimran‌ that would more like stealing :p from them.
    NimranJuliusBorisov
    CrevsDaak said:

@Nimran‌ that would more like stealing :p from them.

Ferrets are people too!!!!!!
    NimranjackjackJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2014
    RAM021 said:

CrevsDaak said:

Nimran‌ that would more like stealing :p from them.

Ferrets are people too!!!!!!
    ... But just slightly polymorphed, right? Or are they wereferrets?

Edit: I think this has gone enough off-topic. Let's all try not to talk about ferrets (unless you plan about having one as a familiar in IWD:EE).
    RAM021NimranjackjackJuliusBorisov