Skip to content

If BG was released as an MMO with poor business choices...

GreenWyvernGreenWyvern Member Posts: 247
As inspired by @bengoshi 's "If BG came out today...", let's imagine a completely HORRIBLE world where Baldur's Gate was a terrible MMO that used every tactic it could to suck the gold our of your purses!

[["Gems" is my term for in-game currency that is only obtainable by spending real money]]

0. First off, the game would cost ~$30 beforehand. You can buy the "Enchanted Enhanced Edition" for $55, and it comes with a starter pack, 100 free "gems" and a limited edition Dorn skin. Or, you could buy the "Extra Enchanted Limited Edition Enhanced Edition" for $120, which comes with an extra portrait pack, 200 free "gems", free Premium membership for a month, a "super rare" item and an extra Neera skin, but NOT the Dorn skin. You need to purchase the game twice for the extra Dorn skin.

1. Rerolls, instead of being infinite, would cost "gems". If you get a crappy roll, you're stuck with it.

2. To make matters worse, you can't get a roll higher than 82, because you need to buy a premium account to unlock "the full potential of your dice".

3. Treasure becomes a lot worse, but you have the option to "Reloot" certain objects for a "Higher chance at super rare items!" (Something like a 0.1% chance), at the cost of "gems", of course.

4. Your level cap is 10, but Premium Members get a level cap of 15, Super Premium Members get a cap of 20, and Super Extra Premium members get a level cap of 30.

5. [The final boss] becomes five times harder, forcing you to need the higher level caps. When you beat them, there's a chest that requires a special golden magical key to open, which can be purchased at "The Super Shop".

6. "The Super Shop" is only available to Super Premium members, where you can buy various secret items such as a "special golden magical key"... all for the price of gems, of course.

7. Purchasing a Super Extra Premium membership will give you a "cool limited edition badge" on your forum profile.

8. Any modifications made to your copy of the game through means of third party tools will result in a permanent ban. No refunds on any memberships, "gems", DLC, or anything else you may have purchased.

9. Always Online DRM. Disconnecting through means other than pressing ESC and selecting "quit" will result in both a temporary ban and a 10% reduction of your current EXP and gold.

10. Premium classes and races that are stronger than the default ones. Alongside this, premium "Cool" portraits for male characters and "Sexy" portraits for female characters... all bought with "gems". Oh, and you're limited to one character, unless you spend "gems" to unlock more character slots!
Post edited by GreenWyvern on
wubbleGoturalJuliusBorisovkcwiseDelvarianMoradinBelgarathMTHmlneveseCrevsDaakDJKajuruNonnahswriterlunarNimranButtercheese

Comments

• GreenWyvernGreenWyvern Member Posts: 247
    Dee said:

Also, it would take forever to complete Reevor's rat quest, because there'd be a dozen other players all trying to kill rats in that storeroom along with you--and you'd have to collect the rats' tails as quest items, which would only drop about half the time even though all of the rats clearly have tails.

If I remember clearly, I heard that this was one of the many issues with The Elder Scrolls Online, where like you said; dozens of people would be clattered together at one point waiting for something to respawn.
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseCrevsDaak
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I was thinking about this on April first, but instead of MMO, it was a mobile game released by EA.

I was going to type up a fake press release and everything but didn't have time.
    kcwiseGreenWyvernjackjackCrevsDaak
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    bengoshi said:

Achievements... Achievements everywhere

Arghh, yes, bloody "achievements" ... the sure-fire sign of a game intended strictly for children.
    kcwisejackjackCrevsDaak
  • GreenWyvernGreenWyvern Member Posts: 247
    edited April 2015

bengoshi said:

Achievements... Achievements everywhere

Arghh, yes, bloody "achievements" ... the sure-fire sign of a game intended strictly for children.
    Nonono, not necessarily.

Klei Entertainment said that they wouldn't put achievements into Don't Starve, and the PC version stays true to this. However, due to a contract with Sony, when they releases on the PS4, they were forced to put into achievements anyways. This also led them to add an item into the game you can create, and all it does is make you feel "Accomplished".
    kcwiseCrevsDaak
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    kcwise said:

You know what though? People would still play it. And very sadly, it would probably be more profitable.

I dunno about more profitable. Most MMOs fail horribly. There just isn't enough space in that market. And since they're so expensive to make, they can be real studio-killers. Publishers just like them because they see WOW and get giant dollar signs in their eyes.
    MoradinkcwisejackjackCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Pyros the Pointy Pebble.
    kcwiseCrevsDaak
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    On achievements.... isn't that just an expansion of the game personal information... e.g most powerful foe vanquished, favourite weapon, etc
    kcwise
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

Doodling in school. This happened.

Send that drawing to CD Projekt RED and there will be much enjoyment.
    And you may even get yourself a job.
    kcwise
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't think we remembered that there is another cost (in gems, which are currency-tied) to dual-class. Ever so important!

I hate MMO's...
    jesterdesujackjackkcwiseNonnahswriter
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Don't forget that for a 'low cost' you could respec your proficiency points...
    jesterdesukcwise