Skip to content

What is your favorite method of killing dragons?

Comments

• Flyting_SkaldFlyting_Skald Member Posts: 11
    I have no clue how I did this all three times. Every time it ended the same way.

I would usually try my regular style. Buffs > Separate Group > Attack

That never worked. So what worked every time all the time? I had Aerie use disintegration. I mean sure I lost some items, but I still one shot the three dragons in the game.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    I used disintegration to kill Firkraag in my first proper game years ago, led by a two-hander paladin.

On my second playthrough I killed him some other way and found this amazing weapon that I had no-one to use.

I have never used disintegrate since...
    Montresor_SPArdulKilivitzKrotos
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    My favorite dragon win ever:

Minsc + Silver Sword + A bit of luck = Dead Nizidramanii'yt :grin:

Took considerably less time that I had spent preparing for the epic dragon battle...
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    My arcane Charnames normally cast the Great Floating Moose of Doom (not to be confused with the Concrete Donkey), then see if the dragon ain't dead yet and if it's still alive it's followed by a couple of Minor Bovine Barrages. Paladins and priests usually use the Holy Hand Grenade. If Charname is a squirrel rather than a spellcaster, it would normally just bite the dragon to death, though.
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisovKrotos
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    A moose once bit my sister...
    semiticgoddessArdulGod
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @Montresor_SP : most fights can be solved with a spell trigger: 3* Grand Malison, along with a Silver Sword blow or two :)
    Montresor_SP
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited April 2015
    @Arunsun: I don't believe GM stacks. Did they change that in EE?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

@Arunsun: I don't believe GM stacks. Did they change that in EE?

No, it still doesn't stack. Just tested it to double-check.
    JuliusBorisov
    Mmmh I do not know why I was sure GM could be stacked :(
    Nevermind then. Go for Grand Malison+2 dooms with a M/C
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Called Shot, however...

Not that it will help with the Silver Sword.
    semiticgoddess
    @bengoshi ok then let s go for chain contingency with power word: blind, grand malison and doom. That's still -10. This should work...
    @Arunsun: At least in EE, PW:B doesn't affect saving throws.
    edited April 2015
    @joluv blindness effect gives -4 penalty to saving throws, and power word: blind states that it applies all effects related to blindness to enemies.

Edit: I just checked that. It does not reduce Saving throws. Same goes for glitterdust.

According to wiki however, glitterdust is supposed to reduce saving throws:
    http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Glitterdust
  • DemonicDemonic Member Posts: 75
    Nice one :) Did you hit him in the knee?
    lroumenJuliusBorisov
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2015
    Coincidentally yes. Isn't that how dragons stopped being adventurers?

Btw. Favourite way currently. No prebuffing, talk, get attacked, and puzzle with melee, ranged and magic. I like the totally unprepared approach.
    ElrandirArdulJuliusBorisovKrotos
  • Flyting_SkaldFlyting_Skald Member Posts: 11
    pixie359 said:

I used disintegration to kill Firkraag in my first proper game years ago, led by a two-hander paladin.

On my second playthrough I killed him some other way and found this amazing weapon that I had no-one to use.

I have never used disintegrate since...

Ah you mean uh
    Carsomyr right?
    He dropped it for me after I disintegrated him. He didn't drop any gems or his scales though..
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

I'm with @Metalloman‌ !

I actually managed to kill dragons with my monk's "Quivering Palm" in one or two hits, so this picture captures the whole experience PERFECTLY. My monk waltzed in, told the dragon to get down to the ground and spread his wings or someone gets hurt - and then pummeled the bugger right into the kisser.

(Although it's easier to first lower their Magic resistance and saves with Greater Malison.)
    MetallomanJuliusBorisovJatrrr
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Hey! There's my name over there!! :+1:
    JuliusBorisov
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Personally, I like to drown the critters in table salt.

Boiling water will do at a pinch, but I prefer to use that on Formians...
  • gustavemsgustavems Member Posts: 5
    Breach into finger of death, reload if no work= ez cheese
  • zolzol Member Posts: 25
    4 Mordenkainen's swords vs Firkraag (not sure about EE version).

I'm also killed dragon in IWD2 with monk's quivering palm like people above mentioned. But this solo monk was doomed closer to end of game.
  • bdtgazobdtgazo Member Posts: 49
    In the original game, I played a pally, and took the direct approach. And pincushioned him with archers. Lately I've been using gate. I've yet to see Firkraag take out the summons from a gate.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited July 2015
    Early game Dragon battles are great because you have to do so much to win, it's that whole army summoning, lower resistances casting, trap setting, spells flying, fighters kiting, clerics buffing, potions popping, dance which is one of the things that I love so much from BG2, late game it's Haer'Dalis or my fighter/thief being buffed and luring the dragon into 5 timestop traps and two spiketraps, by the time the 50 second timestop ends the dragon is either dead or will die to the spiketraps.
    Post edited by SmilingSword on
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    1. Have Sorcerer in party (or be solo).
    2. Win.
    semiticgoddesswubble
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    Doom+Greater Malison+Lower Resistance+Chromatic Orb=Dead Dragon with level 12+ party.
    That's a super combo for dragons, none can survive that. Better use two or more spellcasters simultaneously though, for better chances of success.
  • SciobthaSciobtha Member Posts: 54
    edited July 2015
    lol so far gave only faced 1 dragon. In suldanessellar...

spoiler to hide paren text:
    I didn't know I couldn't go back by then so missed out on loads of stuff, left several of cespenar's needed components on a table in waukeen's promenade :facepalm: Not to mention getting some things from higher levels of watchers keep but not lower levels so I have permanently split them up unless one can go back to athkatla in ToB?

There I expected a horrible fight so buffed up and led with meteor storm and Sphere of Chaos. The dragon immediately suffered an effect, which happened to be: death! lol all of my melee guys were charging, shouting bloodcurdling war cries, etc when suddenly the dragon was just dead... I stopped and blinked for a second wondering what happened...

Anyway, gonna try and have some more fun with the other dragons I can see.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Letting it live.
    Kilivitz