Skip to content

[MOD] -Might and Guile- a tweak mod and kit pack for warriors and rogues.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited November 2018 in General Modding
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
bob_vengwolpaklolienFoggyHudzySkatanBlackravenGodKaiserHellbrus[Deleted User]Swifty_MageeKerozevokUnpersonjackjackGrammarsaladArizaelThrasymachusBboy2073JamesGamingFreakmarc5477Permidion_StarkUOLegacySharsekStummvonBordwehrPsicoVicXar105

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2015
    lolienSkatan[Deleted User]
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @subtledoctor: You may already know this, and it might not apply in EE, but about caster level bonuses: they don't stack. They overwrite each other. When I applied caster level penalties to a kit of mine, I had to increase the magnitude of each new penalty. Instead of applying a -1 penalty every four levels, there'd be a -1 penalty at level 1, a -2 penalty at level 4, a -3 penalty at level 8, and so on. Otherwise the kit would only just have a -1 penalty. I noticed the same thing with item-based bonuses from Item Revisions, so it's not just penalties. One of your kits applies increasing caster level bonuses; if these all use the same .spl file, they won't stack.
    lolien
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    semiticgoddess
  • wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    Awww, my suggested barbarian change didn't make the cut. Sniff sniff...
    edited September 2015

Is there any more in-depth discussion of this issue somewhere, so I can get caught up?

Nope. I only know it thanks to personal experimentation. It shouldn't be hard to get around; you just need some extra .spl files to overwrite the previous bonuses. The most recent bonus takes precedence.

I don't know, however, if a bonus and a penalty will cancel out, or just replace the first one, and I don't know if temporary bonuses, like Item Revisions' Amulet of Power, will temporarily replace, or permanently erase, class-based permanent bonuses.
    Another problem with caster level bonuses, and especially penalties, is that spells have minimum and maximum effects. A level 1 Fireball does 5d6 by default because the lowest level you can cast it is 5. A level 5 caster with a -2 penalty does the same damage with Fireball as a caster without s penalty.

Also, I don't know if the caster level opcode has any effect on Dispel Magic chance. An amulet with a +50 to caster level bonus, on a level 1 caster with a level 10 Inquisitor, would show this, but I'm between computers and can't test it.
    Doubledimas
    edited September 2015
    Foggy
  • wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    You could use the mechanic of "panache" or dirty tricks...
    Grammarsalad
    semiticgoddessGrammarsaladFoggy
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2015
    More thief kits would be awesome. Implementing tricks and non magical abilities could open new possibilities as there a practically no interesting mod kits for thieves aside from the Sniper, and splitting swashbuckler in two saved the Scout kit in this mod thanks to different functions. Song & Silence have excellent bard kits but the thief ones are lackluster due to the limitations of BG2 mechanics and the steep disadvantages such as loss of backstab compared to minimal gains.

A couple minor bugs on a BG2EE game easily fixed using Notepad ++ but I thought worth mentioning (nitpicking about :smile:):
    - A typo in setup.tra lines 983 and 995 on the Marksman kit description:
    May only specialize (+++++) with melee weapons. Should be (++)
    - In 350_mage_hunter.tpa in line 38, the mage hunter should have the -1 penalty applied to STR and CON. It's set correctly on the IWDEE part.

Speaking of the Mage Hunter, the new additions makes this ranger a classic. I'm really loving these kits especially coupled with the tweaks part of the mod. Gameplay and coding wise Might and Guile is just perfect.

The more excellent kits and tweaks mods we get to install, the more frustrating the hardcoded limitation of 9 kits per class gets. Maybe the 1.4 patches will do something about this, especially with Faiths and Powers making great progress -so many choices- I want them all.
    Grammarsalad
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

I'm actually already thinking about using some relatively low-level effects as dirty/non-magical tricks. Grease, SR Fog Cloud, Stinking Cloud, some alchemy/potion crafting, some on-hit melee effects etc.

I'd like to see a hide in plain sight effect combined with a small cloud to simulate the "throw down a smoke bomb and disappear" trope.
    semiticgoddessAerakarSkatan
    semiticgoddessBillyYanklolienSkatan
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    I was away to long, so many things changed ;)

The Thief ideas are great. My personal thoughts:
    - Shadow Dancer: Please revise this class, HiPS feels almost like cheating sometimes and it does not feel like a new ability. How about some shadow magic for this Kit? Some nice illusions etc.

I'm a big fan of giving the Thief/Kits more ability:
    - Dirty Tricks - Throw powder/pepper spray etc. -> Temporally blinds the target, or maybe powders with different effects.
    - Taunt/distract - can be used to disrupt a spell? -> works only once per enemy

Maybe a Tinker Kit with:
    - Fire / Smoke / Grease / Poison Bombs
    - Mine / Traps with the
    - Can build some clockwork soldiers (Small Golems or something)

Just some ideas floating on top of my head. Keep up the awesome work, thank you ;)

GrammarsaladAerakar
    edited September 2015
    Grammarsalad
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Wouldn't caltrops just be a special trap with a small amount of damage and a short duration slow effect?
    Grammarsalad
    Grammarsalad
    GrammarsaladsemiticgoddessJuliusBorisovlolien
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Coooooooooouuuuuuuuuullllllllllld maybe make a Dirgesinger Bard? :smiley:

Dirge Songs
    -- Dirge of Demoralization (Lower enemy THAC0 [and maybe AC?])
    --Dirge of Fear (Horror)
    --Dirge of Pain (Skull Trap)
    --Dirge of the Dead (Animate Dead)
    --Dirge of Death (Finger of Death)
    edited September 2015
    GrammarsaladsemiticgoddessJuliusBorisovlolien
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    What if I want the new thief kits but not the bard changes.
    semiticgoddesslolienSkatan
    edited September 2015
    Vallmyrlolien
    lolien
  • DanarielDanariel Member Posts: 6
    Two problems that I noticed - installation errors out on Saving Throw Overhaul (it asks me to email a debug file to you, I need an email address), and even though I install both Revised Rangers and Elven Archer, neither Elven Archer nor the original Archer are available at character creation. If I remove Elven Archer, I get Archer back.
    edited September 2015
    lolien
    edited September 2015
    lolien
  • DanarielDanariel Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2015
    *blush* Sorry, there actually IS a .debug file there, and the forums won't let me attach it here, or in a message (I did try!)

I'd really like to see Archer Rangers get some love! I'm really missing my animal companion, too. Haven't played BG since late 90s, I forgot they weren't in.

I just tried to find Marksman in the Fighter kit list, and it's missing too. Mot sure if it has anything to do with it being misspelled in the WeiDU log (which may pull it from elsewhere?) "Add the Marskman (fighter kit): v1.0". You don't see Elven Archer in the log because I uninstalled it so I could play a regular Archer for now.

This is for BGEE, Beamdog versions, both the stand alone installer and the Beamdog client version (uninstalled already partially modded stand alone version, reinstalled from Beamdog client thinking another mod was causing initial errors. Nope.)

Full text of the error is:

ERROR Installing [160: STO: Saving Throw Overhaul, rolling back to previous state will uninstall 42 files for [MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2] component 160.
    Uninstalled 42 files for [MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2] component 160.
    ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "scales_of_balance/spells/sppr409.spl")
    PLEASE email the file SETUP_MIGHT_AND_GUILE.DEBUG to SubtleD using Language [English]

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #100 // 100: IWO: Item & Weapon Overhaul: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #120 // 120: WPO: Weapon Proficiency Overhaul: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #180 // 180: MRO: Magic Resistance Overhaul: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #200 // 200: Revised Stat Bonuses: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #205 // 205: Revised Hit Point Tables: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #210 // 210: Revised XP Tables: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #215 // 215: Revised Spellcasting Tables: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #220 // 220: Revised Movement Bonuses (Quickstride): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #250 // 250: Revised Berserker and Rage: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #255 // 255: Revised Rangers: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #260 // 260: Revised Kensai: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #265 // 265: Revised Monk Fists: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #270 // 270: Revised Bards: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #310 // 310: Add the Corsair (fighter kit): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #320 // 320: Add the Marskman (fighter kit): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #324 // 324: Add the Halfling Slinger (ranger or fighter kit): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #350 // 350: Add the Mage Hunter (ranger kit): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #410 // 410: Add the Sniper (thief kit): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #420 // 420: Add the Scout (thief kit) and revise the Swashbuckler: v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #450 // 450: Add the Jongleur (bard kit): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #460 // 460: Add the Loremaster (bard kit): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #470 // 470: Add the Gallant (bard kit): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #480 // 480: Add the Meistersinger (bard kit): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #490 // 490: Add the Loresinger (bard kit): v1.0
    ~MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2~ #0 #500 // 500: Add Multiclass Kits: v1.0