Skip to content

Fallout 4

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2015

Only a matter of time until mods restore the old VATS system, amongst other things. Pretty sure someone will also do customizable power armors for canines, molerats, brahmins and deathclaw pets. Horse armor is always a must for Bethestda games after all.

Nope... horse armor will come out as paid DLC :wink:
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage

I do miss Fallout 2 VATS, where you could target the eyes.

Go for the eyes Boo. Go for the EYES!!!

Looks like the FPS action is about 100 times smoother than FO3. Awesome!

Yeah, I just hope that doesn't mean that it will be more like an FPS in other respects as well. I'm not a huge fan of FPS in general.
    As long as my character misses because he's not good with weapons, I'm all right with it...
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMagethe_spyder
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

Go for the eyes Boo. Go for the EYES!!!
    Exactly. Blinding a deathclaw on the first hit with a ripper to the eyes is always satisfying.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

It won't make too much difference to me; I usually VATS for the head against animals or unarmed/melee opponents and the right arm against those using guns or energy weapons to disarm them. If I am sniping or using the Railway Rifle then I go for the legs.

I always target the groin.
    Skatan
    I do miss Sargeant Dornan though.
    Mathsorcerer
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    I dont see F3 and F4 as true successor to the series either.
    They try, but bethesda just cannot weave such a thick atmosphere like it was present in F1+2.

They used all ingredients from 1+2 in their 3rd installment, but got the dosage wrong.
    The writing is lacking, the world not really plausible. F2 with all the pop culture references and easter eggs was.
    The Federation crash site in fallout2 was a random encounter and clearly an easter egg, in Fallout3 the aliens are now part of the game, (i hated that DLC, even anchorage was more interesting, and this was a pure shooter module )

You can play through F2 20 times, and you will still find something new.
    F3 gives you generic dungeons till you puke.
    Make them more sparse, but meaningful in some way...

I havent really high hopes for F4, especially with bethesda financial model:
    main game: 60$
    min. 5 DLC: 20$ each
    deathclaw mount: 15$
    new hair styles: 5$ each

They invest more resources in their business plan then in making a great game. Their lucky they have a great modding community.

tldr: f1+2 best games ever, bethesda fallout : mediocre
    FinneousPJO_Bruce
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    how did you skip FONV in this rant
    FO:NV wasn't by bethesda
    F4, sadly, is
    O_Bruce
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Yamcha said:

They invest more resources in their business plan then in making a great game. Their lucky they have a great modding community.

Well, they'll most likely will make people pay for using mods. Not for the modders, mind you, but to them [Bethesda]. They already tried to do something like that along with Valve on steam, right?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    O_Bruce said:

Yamcha said:

Well, they'll most likely will make people pay for using mods. Not for the modders, mind you, but to them [Bethesda]. They already tried to do something like that along with Valve on steam, right?
    Yes. It backfired since most of the mods they started charging for were available for free years prior to the new concept.

This time, they can launch the "pay for mods" right out of the gate and will put pricing solely in the modding community hands, being able to deflect any negativity towards the modders, and reopening the "should modders be paid for their work" debate.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

I always target the groin.

For melee I do this, as well. The boxing matches in New Reno are ridiculously easy with the plated boxing gloves and cheap shots...but I still do them every time I play through FO2. I killed poor Joqq in one round once--cheap shot, he dropped to the ground, hit the eyes, scored critical, auto-kill.

I won't be using any mods, even if they fix actual bugs in the game, only official patches. If something is relatively minor I'll fix it myself; if not, then I'll wait for a patch, GOTY edition, or just put up with it.

There really wasn't an arena in FO3 like we had in FO2 (New Reno and San Francisco); those three fights in The Pitt don't count. At least FONV had The Thorn--how can you not like Red Lucy?
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Yamcha said:

FO:NV wasn't by bethesda
    F4, sadly, is

Haters gonna hate.

PS: 1000th comment!
    deltago said:

This time, they can launch the "pay for mods" right out of the gate and will put pricing solely in the modding community hands, being able to deflect any negativity towards the modders, and reopening the "should modders be paid for their work" debate.

This is just an assumption of yours, or has anything official leaked about that?

ShapiroKeatsDarkMage: stop spamming. No one cares about your post counter...
    ''ShapiroKeatsDarkMage: stop spamming. No one cares about your post counter...''

Nevah. ;)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Interesting opinions posted here, http://whatculture.com/gaming/fallout-4-8-huge-problems-nobody-wants-to-admit.php not unlike the worries I have
    Yamcha
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Yamcha said:

deltago said:

This is just an assumption of yours, or has anything official leaked about that?

Assumption. They won't announce something like this early to prevent backlash.

Interesting opinions posted here, http://whatculture.com/gaming/fallout-4-8-huge-problems-nobody-wants-to-admit.php not unlike the worries I have

Meh. It basically says that Fallout 4 is not going to be a ''true'' Fallout game because of the FPS-style combat, VATS in slow-mo and Bethesda glitches.

mlnevese

Meh. It basically says that Fallout 4 is not going to be a ''true'' Fallout game because of the FPS-style combat, VATS in slow-mo and Bethesda glitches.

But I like Bethesda glitches! :wink:
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    mlnevese said:

But I like Bethesda glitches! :wink:
    So do i. They're the source of unintentional comedy.
    mlnevese
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage That's not what it says, though.
    Yamcha
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Yamcha said:

@Yamcha Nothing wrong with a small celebration of a personal achievement. It also isn't spam.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMagemlneveseJuliusBorisovSmilingSword
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

I too am scheptical. However, that was precisely the reason why I almost didn't buy BG1, the fact that they turned the combat into 'Real time'. And look how that turned out.

ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited October 2015
    For all the paid mod talk, Bethesda already said no paid mods for Fallout 4. Of course there were none in Skyrim for years... but at least we are fine at launch. I have a feeling that they won't risk it again, luckily, unless somebody else succeeds with paid mods first.
    As far as the "Paid mod" thing goes, I admit I don't know all the issues or all of the arguments. For my two cents, I think that the majority of people who make mods, do it because they have ideas and want to make them. They put them out for public use because they want to spread their good work. Not that they are necessarily altruists or anything, just that isn't the reason they started the mod in the first place.

I would imagine that the number of modders who do it just for the money is on the small side. Oh, I am sure that everyone would love to get paid for what they enjoy doing anyway, but I don't think that many would stop doing it if they weren't getting paid for it. Nor do I think that it is the primary motivation (by and large) for creating a mod.

I think that modding is a good exercise for those that can and like to do it, particularly if you get your name out there enough that people want to either (a) pay you or (b) offer you a job. But like other forms of self promotion, I don't think it becomes mandatory that you get paid for doing it. If you are that type of person that only does work for money? Don't make mods, or at least don't share them. Or do share them, but understand that people are not always willing to pay extra. And just don't make a stink if people aren't lining up around the block to line your pockets. If, on the other hand, people want to pay you for your work? Great.

This has been a paid announcement by no one in particular and we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Tresset said:

@Yamcha Nothing wrong with a small celebration of a personal achievement. It also isn't spam.

I must be mistaken then.
    Way to go ShapiroKeatsDarkMage, please tell us more about your postcounter !

Btw, I have

Insightful

Agree

Like ( 1 like = 1 prayer )

and recently achieved the 100 Comments badge. I printed that badge, laminated it and put it in my purse also sent copies to all my relatives and the president (Putin)

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

For all the paid mod talk, Bethesda already said no paid mods for Fallout 4.

Do you have a source for this? Because I have heard nothing of the sort.

As far as the "Paid mod" thing goes, I admit I don't know all the issues or all of the arguments. For my two cents, I think that the majority of people who make mods, do it because they have ideas and want to make them. They put them out for public use because they want to spread their good work. Not that they are necessarily altruists or anything, just that isn't the reason they started the mod in the first place.

I would imagine that the number of modders who do it just for the money is on the small side. Oh, I am sure that everyone would love to get paid for what they enjoy doing anyway, but I don't think that many would stop doing it if they weren't getting paid for it. Nor do I think that it is the primary motivation (by and large) for creating a mod.

Primary motivation does indeed not mean they won't go the money route if given the chance, as you noted. For example, among the ones who decided to go paid during the Skyrim debacle there were several for whom going paid would've actually been illegal because they were using other peoples code released under license that is only valid if your product is free as well.

So yeah. Modders aren't professionals in the sense that they have little knowledge about what they are doing beyond the direct modding department and paid mods would make way for a legal roller coaster.

And besides modders eager to make money of their work there is also the issue of thieves and plagiators eager to make money off of other peoples work, to which the model proposed by Beth/Steam offers no solution. It was very lacking in the "creator security" area, basically meaning that unless you're one of the high profile modders the chances of somebody else taking your work and putting it under their name was fairly big. Of course, tbis already happens in the free mod-sphere, but since there's no money involved it's rude but acceptable (in a resigned kind of way), but if the plagiators were making money off of it... It would be a lot less okey.
    Yamcha said:

Tresset said:

I must be mistaken then.
    Way to go ShapiroKeatsDarkMage, please tell us more about your postcounter !

Btw, I have

Insightful

Agree

Like ( 1 like = 1 prayer )

and recently achieved the 100 Comments badge. I printed that badge, laminated it and put it in my purse also sent copies to all my relatives and the president (Putin)

I smell sarcasm.
    Yamchathe_spyderSmilingSword
    @scriver - oh there are always those who are outliers and want to break the mold, it's true.

For me, just because a modder is an amateur (as defined by someone who isn't getting paid professionally to do a job), that in no way means that they don't know what they are doing. Some in fact are much more adept at it than the people who do get paid for it. And I recognize that an excellent way to get into the business is to make a name for yourself actually doing the work and getting it out there. Further, that if you can develop enough of a following that there is nothing wrong with starting a business model wherein you are charging for your services. Hey, if you can GET someone to pay you to do something you love? Bonus. Just don't cry foul if they don't want to do that.

Where it all breaks down is when people claim it is their right to get paid for work that no one commissioned them to do and would have done it anyway. People WANT to pay you? Great. But don't get up on a soap box and create a federal case around someone for not paying you for your side project.

And corporations are another animal all together. They are in the business of making money for (mostly) no other reason THAN to make money (note that some companies start out with people just wanting to make a good product, but once it becomes a corporation, it is usually all about the bottom line). If a business comes along and offers something for 'Free', I look very carefully for where the hook is because it is very definitely there somewhere. This whole micro-transactions junk is just distasteful in the extreme in my book (though that is personal and subjective). Pay to win is another thing that I just hate.

But enough of MY soap box. I just want to pay for good quality games at a reasonable rate and have my fun. Nuff said.
    FinneousPJ
    I want this to play on the main menu.
    FinneousPJMathsorcerer