Skip to content

Favored Enemy - What's Your Choice?

I considered making this a poll, but I think there's probably too many choices to include, especially taking the whole series into account. Anyways...

When you play a Ranger, what's your preference when it comes to the Favored Enemy feature? Speaking for myself, I tend to go with giant spiders in the first game, because Phase Spiders and especially Sword Spiders are especially dangerous enemies, and since they're also quite common, the more damage you can inflict on them, the better. For the sequel, there's obviously a whole new selection available. For SOA, I tend to go with golems, since my Rangers tend to be either Archers or Stalkers. Since golems are immune to backstab and clay golems are immune to piercing damage, they still cause some serious problems, so that's where I want the extra damage. On the rare occasion I start in TOB, I'd probably go with demons, since there isn't much left that can threaten you, and it'd make level three of Watcher's Keep a fair bit easier.

So, what are your choices, guys?
[Deleted User]TressetJuliusBorisovSkatanSCARY_WIZARDlolien

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Hmm... I am always somewhat indecisive in these kinds of matters. I also don't use rangers that are not named Minsc much at all so I haven't had to make the choice very much.

For BG1 I would go with either Spiders, Ogres, or Skeletons. Spiders and ogres can be pretty nasty and I would want them dead fast. Skeletons are just resilient.

For BG2 it becomes a much harder choice. The one ranger I have in BG2 right now went with Demons because they are both nasty and numerous. Dragons are tempting because of how incredibly nasty they are, but they are also very rare so that would limit its use. Golems would also be a good choice. They are incredibly resilient and very hard hitting, but usually not as nasty or numerous as some other options so I would probably not pick them. Liches are almost as nasty and numerous as demons so they might make a good choice too. So to summarize I would probably put them into 3 teirs of which ones are my most tempting choices for BG2:
    Most likely choices: Demons and Liches
    Second most likely choices: Golems and Dragons
    Least likely choices: Everything else.

Keep in mind that I am quite indecisive about this and I would be likely to change my mind later.
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlolien
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Those pics. Fireball spam.
    SethDavisKilivitzlolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    BGEE: Spiders

BG2EE: Dragons

IWDEE: Spectral Undead
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Faeries.

They deserve it.
    [Deleted User]semiticgoddesslolienJDow
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2015
    BGEE: Spiders
    BG2EE: Golems
    IWDEE: Spectral Undead
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    Usually I choose ogres, since they hit like a truck in the early stages of the game and it's not that hard to bump into one. Some of the options are quite funny - "I'm the mighty Erlan, the most skilled ranger! Destroyer of gibberlings!"
    JuliusBorisovSkatan[Deleted User]lolien
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Ogres in bg1, illithid in bg 2. It's more a case of what I personally dislike the most than what might make the game easier.

Lets face it you don't get much more sadistic than illithid... Even demons still seem more tangible to me.
    [Deleted User]recklessheartlolien
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Tresset said:

Dragons are tempting because of how incredibly nasty they are, but they are also very rare so that would limit its use.
    choices for BG2:

Second most likely choices:Dragons

elminster said:

B

@elminster and @Tresset I don't like you two either then!
    elminster

Tresset said:

Dragons are tempting because of how incredibly nasty they are, but they are also very rare so that would limit its use.
    choices for BG2:

Second most likely choices:Dragons

elminster said:

B

@elminster and @Tresset I don't like you two either then!
    If there weren't so many evil dragons it wouldn't be an issue :)
    semiticgoddesslolien
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

I wish Human was a racial enemy. Not because I don't like humans, but because the bonuses would be the most useful.

Drow wouldn't be so bad for the sequel. Of course, if you could get away with just Elf, that would be even better.
    [Deleted User]
    edited November 2015
    @elminster
    Why do all the evil humans get a pass then?
    semiticgoddessSvar
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited November 2015
    @DragonKing I have been known to be a dragon too you know... I am Tressetii'yt the mighty azure dragon!
    elminster

@elminster
    Why do all the evil humans get a pass then?

Actually most evil characters you can kill in either game without incurring a reputation penalty (including the temples dedicated to worshiping talos and umberlee). So I would argue whether or not they get a pass is entirely up to you. :)
    lolien
    @elminster
    But humans don't get to be picked as a racial enemy for the genocidal stat!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @DragonKing: Genocidal stat? What on earth is that? Wait, can I get an achievement by wiping out the population of Athkatla?

*rolls a team of dwarven Kensais*
    lolien
    @semiticgod
    It's that stat that a ranger gets to pick saying which race that they'd prefer to genocide.
    semiticgoddessKamigoroshi
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Liches
    Salamanders
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    For BG1, Spiders. Lots of them, and quite dangerous at low levels.

For BG2, it's a more marginal choice. I tend to go with Demons, since there are quite a few of them (especially in WK) and they're usually quite tough. However, I think there are also good arguments for choosing either Vampires or Drow, both of which are numerous and can hurt you significantly. In fact, next time through BG2ee with a Ranger, I might change my mind and choose Drow.

I reckon other categories are either too rare (e.g. Dragons) or too feeble to be worth dedicating a Ranger's special ability to them.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    To be fair, spiders are probably the best choice for a racial enemy in BG1, in power-gaming terms. BG1 poison effects are outrageously overpowered, particularly since saving throws are so incredibly poor at low levels, and all spiders get high APR. A Huge Spider does 15 poison damage in 30 seconds. A Giant Spider does 74 damage in 37 seconds. And Phase Spider does 100 damage in 20 seconds. Poison doesn't just do damage; it's a proper death sentence. Even Demogorgon doesn't hit that hard.

They're the BG1 equivalent of Beholders.
    JuliusBorisovjesterdesulolienFenghoang
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I kind of mentioned it in the OP, but I picked Golems for BG2 not just because of their inherent toughness, but because they nerf other options a Ranger has. If you're facing a demon, a stalker can backstab, and any ranger can kite them, so the usual tactics work fine. A golem forces you to take it head-on, and there's no point in kiting a clay golem when it's immune to your ranged attacks. If you're going head-to-head with those, then I think you need the bonus more.
    semiticgoddessSkatanlolien
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited November 2015
    I choose Golems as well. I'm always watching out for those. The other enemies I don't have many worries about, though maybe I should. I'm always thinking about golems, though.

I've only ever played a ranger once, to be honest, and I chose gnolls. That was the first time I ever played any of the BG series, and I remember seeing a world map with 'Gnoll Stronghold' in the bottom left corner. That was the basis of my decision.
    semiticgoddessGrumlolien