Skip to content

Jaheira's Infidelity

Comments

• simplessimples Member Posts: 540

Haha, funny GIFs. I believe you, but i expected the ones who wouldn't do it to come out and speak their mind. You generally don't advertise this mindset. But from my own personal experience, i met a lot of women who didn't hesitate to cheat on their (i would describe) beta boyfriends. Sometimes they don't even mention they have a hubby, lol.

what the hell is this comment
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    simples said:

Haha, funny GIFs. I believe you, but i expected the ones who wouldn't do it to come out and speak their mind. You generally don't advertise this mindset. But from my own personal experience, i met a lot of women who didn't hesitate to cheat on their (i would describe) beta boyfriends. Sometimes they don't even mention they have a hubby, lol.

what the hell is this comment
    It's the truth. It happens to many. Of both genders.

Though to stay on topic, there's no "infidelity" on Jaheira's part.
    She was happily married to her husband. Her husband died horribly, she needed to move on.

There's no evidence that she was unfaithful before his death.
    The books aren't evidence, they're lazy fanfiction given the greenlight to be called "official".
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    "beta boyfriends?" really?
    someone read 'the pick-up artist'.......
    edited January 2016
    simples said:

"beta boyfriends?" really?
    someone read 'the pick-up artist'.......

Alpha and Beta Males/Females are true for humans as well.
    We are not that different from animals. We are social animals.
    And that is true for many other things humans do.

And the "alpha/beta male/female" dynamic is observable and proven.
    It's not something pick-up artists "invented". It's something they observed and recognized.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Alpha and beta are limiting. I use passive, assertive, and aggressive. When I hear 'alpha' used in this way, I think 'aggressive'. When I hear 'beta' used in this way, I think 'passive'. I wouldn't want a partner who's either passive or aggressive. Those are both undesirable.

... Are we off topic?

Probably.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Archaos said:

There's zero biological relation between Charname and Imoen or the other Bhaalspawn.

They only call themselves brothers and sisters because they have the same divine essence in them and nothing more.

Eh. I think whether or not divine essence could be treated in the same way as your bloodline--and in-turn, your blood-relations--is open to interpretation.

Unless there's something in the official rules that says otherwise...
    edited January 2016
    @Nonnahswriter

Thing is, deities don't have bodies. The way to get on the physical world is through avatars.
    Said avatars are capable of changing their biology since they're only proxies.

If a demon or dragon changed their shape into humans to mate, their offspring would be half-fiends and half-dragons respectively.
    The biology of the above remains constant.

In the case of deities, they create avatars and their "biologies" (if they even have one) is different as they wish.
    An elven avatar of a deity, that mates with another elf, will produce a full-blooded elf.
    Not a demigod/half-elf for example.

While their biology is different to that of another one, their soul is divine.

Basically, Bhaal turned into fully different people each time. Physically different people with different mothers cannot be "brothers and sisters" in the traditional sense.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    This may be true @archaos, but being step-siblings still make most ppl hesitate about being in relationships as well. Even though it's biologically ok, it would prolly feel really weird to many ppl, at least it does for me.

Also, it's kinda amusing to see soo many ppl biting on the troll bait over and over again, heh.. :)
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited January 2016
    To be fair, Bhaal used to be mortal, as stated in the History of the dead Three, the question remains if wether or not any of his mortal attributes where kept after his ascencion.

Other than that, I like to look at these things like with Greek Mythology, brothers and sisters doing the do there is literally the reason why at least half of those gods are around in the first place.
    Archaos said:

Sarevok is a black man.

I really hate to go there but I have never seen a black person with medium bronze skin and a brown/ dark blonde beard. I think you are mixing something up here.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Archaos said:

Sarevok is a black man.

I really hate to go there but I have never seen a black person with medium bronze skin and a brown/ dark blonde beard. I think you are mixing something up here.
    How about let's not go there and let people interpret a fictional character's appearance however they see fit?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Please people there have been several warnings in this topic about off topic conversations. Please keep on topic or this thread will be closed.

This is just a friendly reminder for everyone to read the site rules.
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    Let's just be honest: none of the original romances in the Baldur's Gate series are very good. They're all about "Sexual healing," and how these women just needed a big, strapping man to come into their lives and save them from themselves. Viconia, Aerie, and yes, even Jaheira. Heck, even Anomen basically tries to do the same thing to a female Charname, wanting to be her knight in shining armor to rush into battle and save her from her dark ancestry.

Viconia needs a man to show her that it's okay to be a good person! Aerie needs a man to help her develop a sense of self-worth, because without a man in her life she just can't see the good in herself! Jaheira needs a man, because her last man died, and she's just so sad about that!

None of it is a healthy depiction of a relationship. This is why I genuinely have a hard time completing any of the old romances, especially when put next to the Hexxat and Dorn romances (there's a bit of it in Neera's, but in a lesser and more healthy way since it's basically Neera needing to find the right person to settle down with, rather than needing a man to come into her life and give it meaning). There's a power differential in all of the old romances, and 3 out of 4 of them it lies completely with the man.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Well, duh! You're playing the hero, of course they built the romances in such a way so that you can be their metaphorical savior. Makes you feel like you actually achieved something. How boring would an in-game romance be without some actual conflict, character growth and resolution/closure at the end.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

Well, duh! You're playing the hero, of course they built the romances in such a way so that you can be their metaphorical savior. Makes you feel like you actually achieved something.

That's such 1980s storytelling :P

I like to think we've transcended the old hero formula now. Of course, it takes a while for everyone to realize that we have... ¬_¬
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    edited January 2016
    Yes, it has transcended, in literature and cinema. But in a video game with a linear progression such as Baldur's Gate, it's hard to find a different romance formula that has mass appeal and is successful. I, for one, am happy with what i'm offered in game. Especially the Viconia romance is quite intense, and has a lot of variables in ToB.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Archaos said:

Alpha and Beta Males/Females are true for humans as well.
    We are not that different from animals. We are social animals.
    And that is true for many other things humans do.

And the "alpha/beta male/female" dynamic is observable and proven.
    It's not something pick-up artists "invented". It's something they observed and recognized.

I'm sorry for going a bit off-topic again, but I believe that it should be stated for the record that the above quote is absolutely mistaken. Read Pantalion's post above for one example why.

Yes, humans are social animals. And yes, there are many social behaviors that are linked to biology and even evolution. But the "alpha male" thing is not one of them. It's a gross misinterpretation of scientific studies packaged to sell books, justify wishful thinking and push shady agendas. It is to anthropology what The Secret is to quantum physics.

Taking it back on-topic: I see people reading a whole lot into a relationship that is represented by hardly a dozen lines of dialogue. So Khalid's not an imposing guy with his stuttering high-pitched voice and his insecure attitude going into the fray. That doesn't make him a pushover. In fact, he's constantly talking back at Jaheira.

Whether they have a healthy or disfuncional relationship is really a matter of what you are reading (maybe even projecting) into it since as I just pointed out, there's just not enough material to analyze.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    Apart from some of the troll comments here, I quite enjoy some of the off-topic (but still relevant) discussions here.

Regarding Khalid, does anyone truly like him as a character? When I look at his limited lines and exchanges with Jaheira (and even his pathetic holler when Jaheira dies in the midst of battle), I find little to like in his character. I always thought the reason why Jaheira chose to be with him is because she is the domineering one and Khalid doesn't mind (or likes) being dominated: that's why the marriage somehow works.

Who here likes Khalid and why?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Let's just be honest: none

Viconia needs a man to show her that it's okay to be a good person! Aerie needs a man to help her develop a sense of self-worth, because without a man in her life she just can't see the good in herself! Jaheira needs a man, because her last man died, and she's just so sad about that!

None of it is a healthy depiction of a relationship. This is why I genuinely have a hard time completing any of the old romances, especially when put next to the Hexxat and Dorn romances (there's a bit of it in Neera's, but in a lesser and more healthy way since it's basically Neera needing to find the right person to settle down with, rather than needing a man to come into her life and give it meaning). There's a power differential in all of the old romances, and 3 out of 4 of them it lies completely with the man.

Well, if you consider that SoA romances were written by a writer or someone who has a degree of experience with writing, then such conflicts are supposed to happen as long they contribute to the story and to your character's own growth. So Aerie needs a guy who makes her feel accepted , loved and desirable - but what if your character needs it as well? Or it could be completely opposite, he was a Thung until he met Aerie.

It really depends on how you view the situation from your charname's angle.
    johntyl said:

Apart from some of the troll comments here, I quite enjoy some of the off-topic (but still relevant) discussions here.

Regarding Khalid, does anyone truly like him as a character? When I look at his limited lines and exchanges with Jaheira (and even his pathetic holler when Jaheira dies in the midst of battle), I find little to like in his character. I always thought the reason why Jaheira chose to be with him is because she is the domineering one and Khalid doesn't mind (or likes) being dominated: that's why the marriage somehow works.

Who here likes Khalid and why?

Well, you may not be into that type of guy but Khalid represent a valuable stereotype: the shy guy with principles. He afraid of doing it wrong and ain't really the extroverted type, but he'll respect you and stand up to his ideals. In my opinion he'd be quite date-able!
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    I like Khalid, As a matter of fact unmodded I like him better than Jaheria. He is more supportive of good decision making .
    I run the BG1NPC mod, and the interactions give you a better idea of personalities. I really enjoy the game much better with than with out.

If you really want to stretch it try the BG1 Romantic Encounters Mod. Be forewarned though it is not for kiddos, it is an experience all of its own and you will never look at the sword cost the same way.
  • EpicPainEpicPain Member Posts: 19

If you really want to stretch it try the BG1 Romantic Encounters Mod. Be forewarned though it is not for kiddos, it is an experience all of its own and you will never look at the sword cost the same way.

This fires up my imagination now.
  • EpicPainEpicPain Member Posts: 19
    I am imagining this mod becoming a movie...and on the trailer have that classic guy who always does the trailers for Hollywood action movies, saying with a deep voice: "And you will never look at the Sword Coast...the same way..."
  • TrudeauIsSantaTrudeauIsSanta Member Posts: 161
    Can *you* resurrect gibbed NPCs?
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

To be fair, Bhaal used to be mortal, as stated in the History of the dead Three, the question remains if wether or not any of his mortal attributes where kept after his ascencion.

Other than that, I like to look at these things like with Greek Mythology, brothers and sisters doing the do there is literally the reason why at least half of those gods are around in the first place.

Archaos said:

Sarevok is a black man.

Archaos said:

Sarevok is a black man.

I've never seen a black man in DnD canon period, only time I've ever see a black man, they were pc, mostly mine.

@Buttercheese
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 426
    i think there are valid points to both sides.

i can see how it could happen when two people are together 24/7 and going through alot of intense live or die battles and you are living every day like it could be your last.

i can also see where it can be looked upon as similar to romancing an older relative (even though you're not related).

for me personally, i just didn't feel right about the option of romancing jaheira. just felt odd to me. probably mostly because her constant criticism made her unattractive to me and romancing my good friend khalid's wife (even tho he's passed on), still just didn't seem right.