Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    bengoshi said:

Back to business. Not a Melissan level, but still. I would like to share Hades's battles against Prat and his group, and against Slythe and Krystin.
    Krystin is seen now, and she continues her buffs, this time PfMW - (in BG1 !) - and I remember @Blackraven reported she has some kind of Improved Alacrity, she can cast spells very quickly.

Excellent battle!
    I don't think Krystin is under any form of alacrity. I will check that soon with Imoen and Jurs!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Musigny said:

and I remember @Blackraven reported she has some kind of Improved Alacrity, she can cast spells very quickly.

I vaguely remember me mentioning this. However, what may have happened is Krystin finishing one spell (conceivably one with a longer casting time) near the end of one round, and following up with a spell with a short casting time the next round. That may cause the impression of an alacrity-like ability.
    My current Cleric/Thief has this when casting e.g. Righteous Magic followed by DUHM. Righteous Magic has a casting time of 9, so takes almost a complete round to cast. This means that at most one tick later, Bardin can already cast DUHM.

Congrats on defeating Slythe and Krystin btw :) They're dangerous...
    Hey @Gotural, a very interesting setup you have there.

First of all congrats on surviving Improved Ilych! I've never tried that component (I understood it was very buggy in combination with other mods I used to play with), but am curious to try out with EETactics. It looks very tough... but so does your character, approaching the SoA level cap in Irenicus' Dungeon. ;)

I'm looking forward to reading more. Since you're already close to 3 million XP and thus to HLAs I have a word of warning for you. I see you're playing with Triple Class HLAs and with the SCS component that treats caster HLAs as innate abilities. As I said in one of my last posts, Bardin's divine Quest Spells did not show up behind the innate abilities button (only his Thief HLAs did). I opened EEKeeper to manually add the spell I wanted, but found that in EEKeeper, the spell did register as an innate ability. This means the issue was with the special abilities bar in-game. I ended up uninstalling the relevant SCS component, so now caster HLAs for both Charname and enemies are level 7 spells (for priests) or level 9 spells (for wizards), as per vanilla.
    My advice: make a test-save, add a couple million XP to your character with EEKeeper (enough to cast level 9 spells), level up, pick some wizard HLAs, and check whether they actually appear behind your innate abilities button.

I also have a question for you. I see you've installed p&p spell progression tables, which I know means more spells :) Can you confirm whether this table applies to enemy casters as well? For example, by checking a few ToB wizards in EEKeeper to see if they have the extra spell slots and if they're actually filled with spells? I'd be very grateful for that.
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210

Musigny said:

and I remember @Blackraven reported she has some kind of Improved Alacrity, she can cast spells very quickly.

I vaguely remember me mentioning this. However, what may have happened is Krystin finishing one spell (conceivably one with a longer casting time) near the end of one round, and following up with a spell with a short casting time the next round. That may cause the impression of an alacrity-like ability.
    My current Cleric/Thief has this when casting e.g. Righteous Magic followed by DUHM. Righteous Magic has a casting time of 9, so takes almost a complete round to cast. This means that at most one tick later, Bardin can already cast DUHM.
    I'm sorry to be a bit (or maybe too much...) edifying (aunty Jaheira influence without doubt) but seems you are in the clutches of some delusions, @Blackraven. One round in BG is 6 seconds, not 10. So if the spell has casting time 9 it's 1.5 rounds total.
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210

One round in BG is 6 seconds, not 10. So if the spell has casting time 9 it's 1.5 rounds total.

I see your edifying and I raise you pedantic nitpicking.

Spell casting time is quoted as a number from 1 to 10, where 10 is the length of a round. Yes a round lasts 6 seconds, so a casting time of 3 should take 6 * (3/10) = 1.8 seconds.
    Well, seems I'm the one on delusion all this time. Thanks for clarifying!
    Gotural said:

Concerning Improved Ilyich, I trained myself with 3 differents characters, including a copy of Anselm my Blackguard. I think it is very difficult because you don't have a lot of equipment and in my opinion it prevents a lot of character builds from doing it.
    It is also during these training that I learned to hate the PnP Mephits :smiley: , everytime I would playtest Improved Ilyich I was more concerned about these little abominations and I would told myself that I should simply uninstall the component.

I used to test the mod component with an elf F/T or a sorceress with 161K XP. In the case of the F/T this is not really difficult but there might be repetitve sequences of move/hide/backstab. With the sorceress it takes a little longer as she has not enough spells and she needs to rest often to cover everything.
    Both can do it in solo mode but let's not forget that most players will use Imoen/Minsc/Jaheira/Yoshimo.
    W.Weimer took advantage of some items/spells made available while progressing through the dungeon, that's really interesting even if this is not a mod component for roleplaying purists.
    The mod offers a kind of self regulating difficulty over a wide range: In fact you set the difficulty yourself depending on the number of Ilyich team members you decide to fight: from one by one to all (six) of them at once.
    @Gotural
    copying and answering your post on the eetactics thread https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/702370/#Comment_702370
    edited January 2016
    @Musigny, does EETactics' Improved Ilych override the SCS restriction on resting in Irenicus' dungeon? If not, would you advise against installing the resting restriction? I'm used to playing with that restriction, which by the way doesn't apply to solo characters, only to parties, but for Improved Ilych I might uninstall it.

@Gotural, thanks! I was also very pleased with the Tolgerias battle and especially the way Bardin finished him off :) I'm really enjoying both the character and the Cleric/Thief multiclass.
    The Gloves of the Master Thief are from Weimer's Item Upgrades mod, which seems to be fully compatible with BG2EE. You can find it here: http://www.weidu.org/item.html. Bardin doesn't really need the gloves, but the combination of the thieving bonuses in one item is very convenient, and the +1 saves are a nice perk.
    As to the HLAs, I actually edited my last post when I understood how and where to find the innate caster HLAs... I need to decide now whether or not to reinstall the mod component. Either way thanks for clearing this up for me.
    Post edited by Blackraven on
    @Blackraven
    No, it does not override that restriction but that does not matter much because Improved Ilyich and SCS "Make the starting dungeon slightly harder" are not meant to coexist.
    That does not mean SCS is absent from the dungeon.
    In fact when you install SCS (and aTweaks) all the creatures corresponding to your installation choices (noticeably generic AI, smarter mages, fiends, mephits, vampire, golem) get the SCS/aTweaks AI and features. Placing Ilyich on top of it, modifies some area parameters, overrides the Iliych's team members and makes them patrol the area, replaces the spawned creatures (five gobelin groups in the first area, two in the second area) by generic duergars with the old tactics AI, add mephits without modifying their scripting, modifies Ulvaryl who will no longer transform and flee after the dialog, and generate a couple of generic duergars from time to time.
    You have to select option 1 at install time. Option 2 is removed from my current package (not published yet). This is misleading and it will be replaced by a system also granting SCS scripts to the generic duergars + other features.