Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Korgan: If healing isn't available, then it's a "needs of the many" thing, got the dialogues in question to read?
    If someone draws a weapon at you during an argument and you win, that's not so much "you murdered them" as it is "they lost a fight they initiated".
    And come on, the rest of the party betrayed him, cut him out of the loop, murdered his contact, and absconded with the book and the money. If we're talking bad deeds then I'm really not seeing this as being anything out of

Edwin: Actually I comparatively recently discovered that if you don't accept him into the team, he specifically mentions going to get paid by a third party who are the reason he's there. He's quite clear on it, Guy's getting paid for his time, getting his underlings to fetch his subscription to Rashemi Babes Weekly, and putting out a hit on a Cowled Wizard, who are generally insufferable.

Keldorn: Look at what Talosians do. They murder a bunch of Lathander worshippers and steal their stuff!
    Keldorn: Hmm.... Well I do like that they live in a temple next to my house and have light skin. I give them a pass.
    Look at what Viconia does. Sort of... Exists and is rude to everyone? Honestly Keldorn doesn't pick any particular occasion of her being evil so much as "I'm going to kill you, person who has been silently and faithfully accompanying me on this quest to save orphans from slavery, and who just saved a beggar from persecution".
    Keldorn: Eat sword, drow!
    Let's also consider that CHARNAME can *actually be a Dark Moon Monk*.
    Keldorn: Well, they weren't slightly rude to me in the sewers, so they not only get a pass, I will travel with them.
    Soulaufein is not really an example, since Keldorn gets equally little say in whether you murder deep gnomes or drow captains, you're all undercover, you want to survive, the paladin keeps his racist mouth shut and doesn't murder an entire city full of drow until you give the word.

Paladins are terrible, terrible people, and the clear difference between Keldorn and Edwin? Edwin is way, way more tolerant of backchat from you.

Valygar/Minsc: It's alright to kill anyone who society deems is evil based on their race and religion, but not okay to kill people who draw steel and actively try to kill you? I get the feeling if Aerie's alignment was listed as "Lawful Evil" we'd be discussing the fact that Anomen tries to kill *her* in a favourable light, eh?

@Otherguy

We're talking meta? Pfffft. Without alignment being front and centre on the character record I wonder if we'd be talking about such a thing?

Liiiittle bit uncomfortable with all the people saying that we should be killing people for their choice of deity though. You do realise that there are nonevil clerics of Shar, right? Like the Darkcloaks? Or is the idea that "people should not be murdered for having bizarre beliefs" an unpopular opinion?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    In my first play through I didn't know who Shar was. When Viconia said she worshipped a surface diety I fell for it. Later when I found out that Shar was evil I felt manipulated. Well played Viconia. I'm sure Shar approved
    Empyrial said:

n the FR though, you literally have a sentience which urges its followers to commit evil acts so it can become stronger. Most people are aware of Shar as an evil entity. Yes, there are some non-harmful Sharrans, but the majority are manipulative and generally quite evil. People are generally aware of which gods are good and which ones are bad because a deity basically follows their portfolio. If you're a goddess of nihilism and bitterness, you're going to lean that way in your actions.

To use a different example, there's a goddess called Talona who's the goddess of diseases and poisons if I'm not mistaken. Her followers expressly seek to start plagues. Most people wouldn't say, "Well, let's wait to see what they do before we judge" with them either.

Alright, let's say there exists a religion that literally says the faithful should never help those from outside of the religion, that they are expressly permitted to lie to outsiders, and that it's their religious duty to turn the world a theocracy. That all outsiders should pay them a tax for not sharing their religion, and anyone who leaves their religion must be killed. Meanwhile, they decree that outsider men should be X'd to break their spirit, while faithful men are property lower than a dog and exist completely at the service of the females, and that taking up little girls and boys for lovin' is expressly A-Okay.

We'll call it the Cult of Shar.

Now let's say that a significant group of people who share this religion are moderates. They were raised in this religion, but despite their religion having absolutely nothing whatsoever about being kind to others, they're actually not particularly bad people. They're just regular farmers/hunters/merchants. They might theoretically provide shelter to another Sharran cultist, and might not go too far out of their way to help the neighbours (Helmite scum that they are) but they themselves might permit their menfolk to have opinions and occasionally leave the demonweb pleasure pits, so long as no other Sharrans are watching,

So basically like most people they're kind of obnoxious, but generally just going about their lives. They're Sharrans, they might decide to turn full evil later, or they might aid Algoroth in his evil schemes next time he's in the area, who knows? So kill them too? Yea or nay?

What if they're actually goblins? It's always okay to kill goblins, right? I mean, sooner or later they're going to do something bad so you may as well get in there early.

Shar is the deity of caverns, darkness, dungeons, forgetfulness, loss, night, secrets, and the Underdark, that Viconia worships a deity devoted to all of those things is actually very fitting, and she's kind of a bitch.

Meanwhile Anomen is a cleric of Helm, the deity of duty, protection and guardians. Yet rather than standing guard over things, he goes out and lays down the law and takes the fight to evil. And yes, Anomen is kind of a bitch too.

In the same way Anomen's more into being offensive than defensive, Viconia's not really into the deception and trickery part of Sharran philosophy The Dark Moon is, because they're all about the illusory, deceitful aspects of the faith, but to ascribe everything about one particular sect to every other branch of the faith? Even in the black and white world of D&D permutations exist.

So yeah, unpopular opinion, particularly for D&D: A lot of people are evil, a lot of people have evil religions, but the majority of people are lazy, too busy providing for their five kids (and raising them as devout Sharrans, obviously), or generally just aren't that dedicated to evil. Killing people purely because a spell says their alignment is evil is an evil act in itself.

A true paladin should not be afraid to fight against evil to accomplish their goal when necessary, but should also be willing to consider other options, and even reach out and attempt to befriend and redeem others, otherwise they're simply a bloodthirsty murderer with good PR.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited February 2016
    Give @Pantalion a cookie! #sharranlivesmatter! #drowlivesmatter! #goblinlivesmatter! #Dragonlivesmatter!
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    Ayy tbh I've done far worse things as a NG charname than korgan or viconia ever did so there's the whole pot-kettle thing too
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Pantalion said:

Empyrial said:

n the FR though, you literally have a sentience which urges its followers to commit evil acts so it can become stronger. Most people are aware of Shar as an evil entity. Yes, there are some non-harmful Sharrans, but the majority are manipulative and generally quite evil. People are generally aware of which gods are good and which ones are bad because a deity basically follows their portfolio. If you're a goddess of nihilism and bitterness, you're going to lean that way in your actions.

To use a different example, there's a goddess called Talona who's the goddess of diseases and poisons if I'm not mistaken. Her followers expressly seek to start plagues. Most people wouldn't say, "Well, let's wait to see what they do before we judge" with them either.

Alright, let's say there exists a religion that literally says the faithful should never help those from outside of the religion, that they are expressly permitted to lie to outsiders, and that it's their religious duty to turn the world a theocracy. That all outsiders should pay them a tax for not sharing their religion, and anyone who leaves their religion must be killed. Meanwhile, they decree that outsider men should be X'd to break their spirit, while faithful men are property lower than a dog and exist completely at the service of the females, and that taking up little girls and boys for lovin' is expressly A-Okay.

Now let's say that a significant group of people who share this religion are moderates. They were raised in this religion, but despite their religion having absolutely nothing whatsoever about being kind to others, they're actually not particularly bad people. They're just regular farmers/hunters/merchants. They might theoretically provide shelter to another Sharran cultist, and might not go too far out of their way to help the neighbours (Helmite scum that they are) but they themselves might permit their menfolk to have opinions and occasionally leave the demonweb pleasure pits, so long as no other Sharrans are watching,

So basically like most people they're kind of obnoxious, but generally just going about their lives. They're Sharrans, they might decide to turn full evil later, or they might aid Algoroth in his evil schemes next time he's in the area, who knows? So kill them too? Yea or nay?

What if they're actually goblins? It's always okay to kill goblins, right? I mean, sooner or later they're going to do something bad so you may as well get in there early.

Shar is the deity of caverns, darkness, dungeons, forgetfulness, loss, night, secrets, and the Underdark, that Viconia worships a deity devoted to all of those things is actually very fitting, and she's kind of a bitch.

Meanwhile Anomen is a cleric of Helm, the deity of duty, protection and guardians. Yet rather than standing guard over things, he goes out and lays down the law and takes the fight to evil. And yes, Anomen is kind of a bitch too.

In the same way Anomen's more into being offensive than defensive, Viconia's not really into the deception and trickery part of Sharran philosophy The Dark Moon is, because they're all about the illusory, deceitful aspects of the faith, but to ascribe everything about one particular sect to every other branch of the faith? Even in the black and white world of D&D permutations exist.

So yeah, unpopular opinion, particularly for D&D: A lot of people are evil, a lot of people have evil religions, but the majority of people are lazy, too busy providing for their five kids (and raising them as devout Sharrans, obviously), or generally just aren't that dedicated to evil. Killing people purely because a spell says their alignment is evil is an evil act in itself.

A true paladin should not be afraid to fight against evil to accomplish their goal when necessary, but should also be willing to consider other options, and even reach out and attempt to befriend and redeem others, otherwise they're simply a bloodthirsty murderer with good PR.
    Well argued. And that is why Talos can have a temple in Ath.

That said...As charname I'd still let Viconia burn though and wouldn't save her from the flaming fist. Because really now. Why murder a police officer, or kill a whole group of people, to save a drow? Especially one who pings evil? Smartest thing to do is to just let her die.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited February 2016
    I don't know why people demand that every NPC (mod or official) has to be romanceable.

Yeah, I get that romances flesh out characters, make the game more entertaining, etc., but... I can't see how being able to romance Dorn improves his character in any way. You didn't need that to make Korgan or Edwin interesting and compelling characters. Making every supporting character in your story a potential romantic interest sounds pretty counterproductive to me.

The sad thing is, when SoD comes out I am positive that either A) M'Khiin the goblin shaman will have some sort of romance or B ) she won't and players will complain about it. STOP IT.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Kilivitz said:

The sad thing is, when SoD comes out I am positive that either A) M'Khiin the goblin shaman will have some sort of romance or B ) she won't and players will complain about it. STOP IT.

M'Khiin won't be romanceable in SoD. What a pity! Wait...
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    proghead3 said:

I agree. Keldorn is not a true Paladin, at least not how I envision them. He's a racist jerk that abandons his family duties for glory, and thinks more of his status in his church than how his children see him.

I have to fully disagree with your assessment. As D&D has advanced in editions, it has become more common for PCs to play edgier races, such as drow and tieflings, and, thus our perception has changed. I think we forget that back in 2nd edition, 99.99% of drow were seal-cub-clubbing evil. They were essentially irredeemable demons. Driz'zt was an anomaly. Given that, Keldorn correctly identifies Viconia as evil and acts accordingly. Further, if I'm not mistaken, Keldorn will leave your party if you attack Driz'zt. So, I think the racism charge is ill-founded. Further, as someone who consistently uses Keldorn, I never felt that he was in it for the "glory". His dialogue and persona are defined by his struggle to fulfill both familial and religious commitments. He is an absolutely awesome character and is a great representative of what a paladin should be.
    The only reason he's ok with Drizzt is because Drizzt is famous at this point, which is what Keldorn wants for himself.

I love the "seal-cub-clubbing evil." I can see Viconia doing that, and especially Edwin if he could sell the pelts. Don't get me wrong, Keldorn should definitely kill her. But he does not behave how I envision a Paladin to act. He is definitely racist (which as you pointed out is not necessarily a bad thing in AD&D), and a jerk. And he definitely abandons his family for the glory of his church (and ultimately himself), as he says in his quest. He believes that he is sacrificing the needs of his family for the greater good, and doesn't care as much about how his children and wife view him as he cares about the church.

Is any of this bad? Yes, but not as bad as Viconia or Edwin. I just love intentionally written character flaws in good fictional people. It makes them feel real, because nobody is perfect. It is impossible to relate to a "perfect" character. And here we are discussing it as though their dilemmas are real. Pretty impressive of the original writers of BG for that to happen 16 years later.
    Alignment isn't a straitjacket, good characters can do evil things and vice-versa and blah blah blah... you still there?

Keldorn and Anomen are true heroes. And that doesn't prevent them from being respectively a zealot and a pompous jerk. Which is sort of expected from the nobility in these games.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Keldorn isn't just a Paladin. He's an Inquisitor. It's a huge difference when it comes to RP.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Alignment has always been a poorly conceived concept to explain away why something is bad by nature. If you ever find yourself actually referring to it to explain why a character should/shouldn't/would/wouldn't do anything, you're really missing the point of the ethical dilemma in the first place.
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    Pantalion said:

Empyrial said:

There generally aren't a lot of moderate Sharrans. That's why there are no real major temples to her in other cities throughout the realms (at least that I'm aware of). The only mass, open worship of her is in the floating Netherese city that's powered by her shadow weave and basically pledged allegiance to her to survive the Shadow Plane. I'm pretty sure the only way to move up into the higher ranks in the church of Shar is to literally kill a priest(ess) of Selune. Post-spellplague, Shar's been turned into more of a villain and has made at least three separate attempts to either destroy the world or drown it in darkness. Personally, I don't think that this really fits her well and that making her this calibre of evil is stupid, but that's the canon writing. On her wiki page, part of her dogma is "Love is a lie. Only hate endures." This isn't really a religion that allows for too much leeway in how it acts.

Also, I think Anomen is justified in going out and fighting. He's trying to protect peace, order, and lives by proactively dealing with threats. He is still "guarding" as it were.

I fully get that permutations exist within the faiths because there are different branches, but I don't think the Sharran church has that much diversity in, particularly as Viconia is a priestess in that church. She doesn't get the luxury of just paying lip service to the ideals like a villager would.

This sounds like the Nazis (edit: just reverse the sexes role). Anyone else here a WWII buff?

I make absolutely no claims either way as to whether or not I based this cult on a real world group with an unfortunate history of violence towards people like myself, nor how few changes I made. Suffice to say that there are things that make Pan sad in this world, and it's generally much nicer if we all stay in Faerun.
    Empyrial said:

There generally aren't a lot of moderate Sharrans.

On the same wiki page you mentioned, you may note that it says that only the Dark Justiciar's (a secret society within the priesthood of Shar) involved killing Selunite priests, as well as mentioning the Darkcloaks of Shar I mentioned previously: A group of good aligned "oracles and care-givers of Shar who tended the emotionally damaged, using forgetfulness to sooth their pain".

And the same thing still applies, even if you take priestesses being bad as a given, what about your average Sharran worshipper? They might be a pretty bad person, but take your average layperson follower - do you think they all share the same religious fervour as a high priestess? How many willingly turned to the Twofold trust because their views didn't quite match up even within a monastic order?
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    Pantalion said:

This sounds like the Nazis (edit: just reverse the sexes role). Anyone else here a WWII buff?

I make absolutely no claims either way as to whether or not I based this cult on a real world group with an unfortunate history of violence towards people like myself, nor how few changes I made. Suffice to say that there are things that make Pan sad in this world, and it's generally much nicer if we all stay in Faerun.
    Empyrial said:

There generally aren't a lot of moderate Sharrans.

On the same wiki page you mentioned, you may note that it says that only the Dark Justiciar's (a secret society within the priesthood of Shar) involved killing Selunite priests, as well as mentioning the Darkcloaks of Shar I mentioned previously: A group of good aligned "oracles and care-givers of Shar who tended the emotionally damaged, using forgetfulness to sooth their pain".

And the same thing still applies, even if you take priestesses being bad as a given, what about your average Sharran worshipper? They might be a pretty bad person, but take your average layperson follower - do you think they all share the same religious fervour as a high priestess? How many willingly turned to the Twofold trust because their views didn't quite match up even within a monastic order?
    I'm rather sceptical of people who are doing nice things for a goddess who is known for being subtle and manipulative and who considers it a central tenet to corrupt the good. Perhaps that's just a way for her to further her goals.

And yes, your civilian Sharran worshipper (which, again, I don't think there are many of) probably isn't as bad but the original issue I had in mind was Keldorn attacking a *priestess* of Shar. He's not attacking a random farmer who worships Shar, and Viconia doesn't really come across as a Darkcloak at all so she's likely in one of the other branches.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Maybe the time has come to continue (if you want to) this discussion about deities in a separate thread.
    Unpopular Opinion: High level fighters simply do not belong in BG2.

In D&D mundane classes who survive to high (read "over level 9") levels pretty much entirely settle down and retire, while mages and clerics who survive to high levels... generally become even more powerful until you have world-shaping NPCs who get spells named after them. At least thieves have some features that continue to get better, but Fighters simply don't get the tools they need to survive in a high level environment without becoming an increasing load on the party spellcasters (especially the long suffering cleric), since they have effectively the same skillset as they did at level thirteen forever more.

And if CHARNAME is a fighter?

Well, before going off to resolve this whole "Bhaalspawn" problem, Imoen should have a nice, long talk with them, spending a lot of time making them feel comfortable as they're introduced to a new dungeon that only they can sucessfully conquer.

The Sunnyside Home for Retired Adventurers.
    Hat trick, @mashedtaters.