Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 82
    Pantalion said:

Otherguy said:

My strongest "unpopular" opinions are about arcane magic. I feel a lot of the spells are badly implemented and breaks immersion completely. Plus they break the balance of the middle to end game completely.

To be fair, D&D has been breaking the balance in favour of magic since the first edition. Imagine how bad it would be if flight was implemented in BG.
    Well, the balance and spell effectiveness is mostly decided by the DM. I am not an experienced pnp player but I did play some sessions and I remember that in our sessions the most useful spell was mage hand. It got us out of some tough spots and traps.

But I really don't see a way to implement that spell into computer gaming.
    Haste is often used in games, yet in 2ed PnP that spell also ages the recepient of the spell. So use at your own risk :)

Our DM was a creative fellow, especially when it came to traps & ambushes
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727

Nihilus said:

I like Chateau Irenicus and don't understand people who don't.

I'm sad BG2EE slightly cut off the battle theme of level 1. The music's starting sequence is gone and it just instantly skips to the "looped" part now.
    Didn't know that. Maybe you should report it as a bug?
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    Unpopular opinion: I prefer D&D 3.5e aka nwn2 ruleset and character builds to 2e that BG2 uses. I would gladly pay Money for a pretty remake of BG2 using 3.5!

Too bad the actual game nwn2 wasn't very good, the character builds were very interesting. Plus bards were the most useful characters from 1-30 (with a bit of variation thrown in too!).
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @Otherguy
    Have you ever tried Pathfinder? It's kind of like D&D 3.75. Has a lot of general improvements. Made by a group of former wizards of the coast employees who split off when WotC made 4e.

All P&P, of course.
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    @Otherguy Elemental damage passes through Stoneskin. It's not really that OP.

I agree that PfMW is, though.
  • dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2016
    @mashedtaters
    I often wondered why there are no computer games based on Pathfinder ruleset.

@Otherguy
    As for NWN2, the OC might be a bit bland but the expansion ( mask of the betrayer) rules
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157

There 3 main problems about PfMW:
    1. It can be used by Fighter/Mages and Fighter/Thieves with UAI. There probably shouldn't be such an easy free pass to enter melee with the most fearsome hardhitters without any kind of worry.
    2. Its waterproof protection against all kinds of status effects, on top of the protection against damage.
    Level Drain? PfMW. Devour Brain? PfMW, etc,etc.
    3. It becomes available too early. Given its power, it should be a Lvl9 spell, not Lvl6.

Stoneskin would be better off as a Lvl6 spell, rather than Lvl4. It takes quite some time in the game, until enemies start to have actual answers against it.

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Baldur's gate novels had a far better story than the game. The characters felt real and fleshed out in the novel instead of just being test dummies like in the game.
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    @DragonKing Ooooh, typical dragon arrogance. How many other dragons in this game had similar sentiments? I'll save you the time, just count the number of dragon scale suits of armour I have! ;)
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

Baldur's gate novels had a far better story than the game. The characters felt real and fleshed out in the novel instead of just being test dummies like in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGfWrJR5Ck
    I suppose my serious answer to that would be: a book author doesn't have to account for interactivity and other vicissitudes that make a video game, so of course it's way easier to properly flesh out characters and tell a coherent story with few (if any) inconsistencies.

But the problem people have with these books is not with the quality of the writing. It's the horrible decisions the author has made with the material he was given. There was zero effort to make it faithful to the spirit of the games (or the original vision of its writers).
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2016
    Never read the books. I had the game after all. I heard about the books when the game was six/seven years old but it is impossible to find the books so I never got around to it.
    I wish I could read the books though.
    @lroumen
    Its a lot. Better then the game, don't let the blind nostalgia tell you otherwise! Especially jaheria, she feels so alive and real! They should higher who ever wrote BG to write icwwind dale and neverwinter books.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    bengoshi said:

Nihilus said:

I like Chateau Irenicus and don't understand people who don't.

I'm sad BG2EE slightly cut off the battle theme of level 1. The music's starting sequence is gone and it just instantly skips to the "looped" part now.
    Didn't know that. Maybe you should report it as a bug?
    Well I just don't know. Perhaps they fastened it because the intro wasn't exciting enough.

I'd appreciate if others could confirm this, just so I'm not imagining things. (Obviously you would need the vanilla BG2 game to check). That battle track is used a few times throughout the game (such as de'arnise keep), but it's most memorable on château I level 1. The removed parts sound like a locomotive (horns and steam). It's quite steampunkish when I think about it after all these years.

I guess this could be an unpopular opinion - BG2 music wrecks most of BG1's.
    jinxed75 said:

There 3 main problems about PfMW:
    1. It can be used by Fighter/Mages and Fighter/Thieves with UAI. There probably shouldn't be such an easy free pass to enter melee with the most fearsome hardhitters without any kind of worry.
    2. Its waterproof protection against all kinds of status effects, on top of the protection against damage.
    Level Drain? PfMW. Devour Brain? PfMW, etc,etc.
    3. It becomes available too early. Given its power, it should be a Lvl9 spell, not Lvl6.

Stoneskin would be better off as a Lvl6 spell, rather than Lvl4. It takes quite some time in the game, until enemies start to have actual answers against it.

I agree to an extent with what you're saying about PfMW. The only thing that I would say is from anecdotal experience after recently completing a solo Thief trilogy run, weapon immunity scrolls were vital in a lot of the boss fights, especially the last one. Being able to take zero damage for a few rounds and dish out a lot at the same time can really change the tide of battle.

The problem with it is, as you say, the fact that it's such a low level spell yet it's more useful than the Mantle spells. They may as well have just gotten rid of it completely and let you use Mantle and Absolute Immunity.
    edited March 2016
    @DragonKing Didn't Abdel Adrian fall in love with Bodhi in the books? I haven't actually read them, but I saw that on the Forgotten Realms wiki. If that's the case, it sounds like they butchered that story completely......

Spoiler from the BG novels^
    @wraith5641
    I wouldn't know, I haven't read them but I heard he did just after seeing her naked or some crap. I just do this for the lolz. Responses like @Kilivitz just make it so worth it lol.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Yup.
    Then he killed her in Slayer form.
    I do like Drizzt's book lore though, I must admit. There are some parts of the Drizzt novels that are predictable, but he does have a really good back story.

I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion or not, but I've never heard anyone talk bad about Drizzt.

However, here is an unpopular opinion:

Drizzt >>>>>>>>>> Elminster ;)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    R.A. Salvatore's prose is clunky.

@wraith5641
    I wouldn't know, I haven't read them but I heard he did just after seeing her naked or some crap. I just do this for the lolz. Responses like @Kilivitz just make it so worth it lol.

Do not underestimate my trolling detector, dear dragon royalty sir. My answers are for the lolz just as much.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Even if they are supposedly bad, the books are still canon and it is good to know your canon. Doesn't someone horribly die by having his head bitten of by a spider in cloakwood? That should be fun to read.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,028
    lroumen said:

Even if they are supposedly bad, the books are still canon and it is good to know your canon. Doesn't someone horribly die by having his head bitten of by a spider in cloakwood? That should be fun to read.

My Halfling assassin experienced this. It sucked.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

@wraith5641
    I just do this for the lolz. Responses like @Kilivitz just make it so worth it lol.

Trolling is so <2016. It stopped being funny years ago.