Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Pantalion said:

This sounds like the Nazis (edit: just reverse the sexes role). Anyone else here a WWII buff?

I make absolutely no claims either way as to whether or not I based this cult on a real world group with an unfortunate history of violence towards people like myself, nor how few changes I made. Suffice to say that there are things that make Pan sad in this world, and it's generally much nicer if we all stay in Faerun.
    Offtopic, but necessary:

@Pantalion
    I just realized that I should apologize if I caused any offense, it was not my intention. I had merely thought to draw parallel from real life to indicate that your scenario regarding the Cult of Shar is plausible because it has happened before.

Please forgive me if I have brought up some painful memories or otherwise upset you. As my recent activity in this community is fairly new, I am not familiar with everyone's background yet. I was reminded by your description of a movie I just saw called "The boy in the striped pajamas." I also enjoy learning about WW2 because my grandfather fought for America during WW2.

Back on topic.

Unpopular opinions: Sarevok is way too over-dramatized. His voice acting, his character, and his motivations depict an antagonist in the most concocted and media-friendly way. I have a hard time relating to his character, because he is almost "Too evil" to be believed. In addition to his vastly superb voice-acting, Irenicus is a much more compelling and believable antagonist. But I am ok with all of this because Baldur's Gate 1 was still new and in its infancy when it was designed.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Charname also keeps a journal. What a doofus!
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    Transposing kits from BG2 to BG1 has upset game balance.

Special abilities like Poison Weapon, True Sight and Special Snare are ridiculously OP for a lvl1 character.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Level 9 spells are ridiculously overrated. Mages attain the bulk of their power by the time they get level 5 spells, and by they get level 7 spells they have enough power to take out almost any opponent in the game solo.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    DragonKing is awesome, I know what you all really think about me...

-crazy stare-
    You can find journals from other people, like Lord Tombelthen and Mazzy's fellow adventurer Lellyn at the Temple Ruins, and Merella in the same quest, or Yakman in Watcher's Keep. It's not just antagonists and Charname.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    I hate the cursor wheel thing in planescape (the menu you get when you right click)
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Grum said:

Empyrial said:

DragonKing is awesome, I know what you all really think about me...

-crazy stare-

*crazy stares back* What kind of loot do you guys think he has? He IS the Dragon King, allegedly - just imagine what he's got!
    He is a dragon! Dragons are rich!
    He is a king! Kings are rich!

I bet he has +4 weapons and +2 rings that can be equipped with magic armor! Quick, get him. (I ran out of exclamation marks.)
    Maybe he even has a +4 mashedtaters upgrade!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727

Shame on all of you!

Don't worry, @DragonKing. I certainly don't plan on looting your lair. Not like those other people.

Of course. You don't mind I try some spells here? Completely peaceful, just feeblemind or two. "You need to practice in your free time", they said in the magic academy.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    Maybe not unpopular, but I find it hilarious that druids can use scimitars.
    @Otherguy: The idea is that scimitars are similar to sickles (kind of a stretch) and sickles are a part of druid rituals (rather plausible).
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    I know that semitic. I just find it hilarious. It's about as plausible as saying "Drizzt likes trees and he uses scimitars". A sickle and a scimitar is about as similar as a two-handed mace and a regular hammer.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,028
    Skatan said:

I've never liked the "steampunk" parts of BG2; the machinery and gadgets. I prefer more "pure" fantasy settings without technology. Hell, the bacta tanks of chateau Irenicus almost feel more SW than FR.
    I have no idea if this is an unpopular opinion though.

Fully agree (so not unpopular, at least with me).

Speaking of swords and sorcery settings, am now reading Thieves' World. It is great! It reminds me somewhat of the Fritz Leiber books. I also doubt this is an unpopular opinion.

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    BG2 is like "the curate's egg", good in parts, (very, very good)

Overall, it's a bit of a mess.

TOB, it's painful to play such a great ending to the whole story (with great "set pieces") which was so obviously not given the time or care that it deserved.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Otherguy said:

My strongest "unpopular" opinions are about arcane magic. I feel a lot of the spells are badly implemented and breaks immersion completely. Plus they break the balance of the middle to end game completely.

To be fair, D&D has been breaking the balance in favour of magic since the first edition. Imagine how bad it would be if flight was implemented in BG.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Nihilus said:

I like Chateau Irenicus and don't understand people who don't.

I'm sad BG2EE slightly cut off the battle theme of level 1. The music's starting sequence is gone and it just instantly skips to the "looped" part now.