Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Unpopular opinions

14243454748103

Comments

  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,280
    I actually liked the Dark alliance games.

    Sue me.

    ThacoBellAyiekieEmpyrial
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,395
    edited August 2016
    If you have a fighter, you shouldn't be afraid to reach for particular weapons just because you're not proficient, especially if it's something powerful like Darts of Stunning. If I hadn't realized this, I wouldn't have made my recent discovery that poisoned throwing daggers (seem to?) defeat the Protection From Magical Weapons/Protection From Normal Missiles combo that mages love so much.

    SkatanFinnTheHuman
  • SkatanSkatan Member Posts: 3,543
    ^- dunno how unpopular that is @Abi_Dalzim , but I too frequently use the "wrong" weapons with fighters. Loosing a few thac0 for a tactical advantage, like the one above, is well worth it.


    - Don't remember if this has been posted before? -
    There's way, way too many great magical items in the game which can make fighter-types self-sufficient with buffs too the point of making divine and even arcane buffs unneccessary. Having ie Korgan, Mazzy, and another dwarf fighter type is overkill, making any other NPC unneccessary. (vanilla)

    catsarekacampGrum
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,395

    1) Chaotic Neutral is the most misunderstood alignment. Almost nobody playing chaotic neutral *should* be playing chaotic neutral.

    Can't argue with that.

    4) I always have full parties, and I don't understand why people don't, unless it's just for the challenge.

    It's actually easier to use four or fewer, in a lot of ways. Leveling up faster can make a big difference, especially in the first game when there isn't much quest experience.

    5) Neutral evil to me is the only alignment that doesn't seem like stupid evil.

    Eh, that's unfair. If you look at just these games, you'll see Chaotic Evil Sarevok very much isn't stupid evil, nor is Lawful Evil Belhifet in Icewind Dale. Really, they're both quite similar in how conniving they are despite being on the opposite sides of the law-chaos spectrum.

    6) Baldur's gate is best played on a laptop on your chest, lying down in bed.

    No contest.

  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 784

    1) Chaotic Neutral is the most misunderstood alignment. Almost nobody playing chaotic neutral *should* be playing chaotic neutral.

    Can't argue with that.
    Well, I can. The most misunderstood alignment is Chaotic Evil. But really most alignments are misunderstood to some extent because for some reason you have people unable to grasp that they encompass a pretty broad spectrum of different behaviors.

    Ah well this is a thread about unpopular opinions, not about arguing about others' unpopular opinions so here's one for the road: Saerileth isn't the creepiest BG romance. This honor used to go to Viconia until she had to relinquish the title to Hexxat. And even then I'd put Tsujatha before the paladin.

    * Kurona twirls her fake mustache before closing down the orphanage she loaned money to *

    HalfOrcBeastmaster
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,395
    Kurona said:


    Well, I can. The most misunderstood alignment is Chaotic Evil. But really most alignments are misunderstood to some extent because for some reason you have people unable to grasp that they encompass a pretty broad spectrum of different behaviors.

    Ah well this is a thread about unpopular opinions, not about arguing about others' unpopular opinions so here's one for the road: Saerileth isn't the creepiest BG romance. This honor used to go to Viconia until she had to relinquish the title to Hexxat. And even then I'd put Tsujatha before the paladin.

    * Kurona twirls her fake mustache before closing down the orphanage she loaned money to *

    The difference is that Chaotic Neutral is abused a lot more by people who don't understand it as opposed to Evil alignments. You know, the people who use it as a cover for things that are better classified as evil.

    As for the romance stuff, I'm guessing you feel that way because of age gaps, and, well, undead, respectively?

  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,187
    i always saw cn as the do whatever i want alignment.

    semiticgodKurona
  • semiticgodsemiticgod Member, Moderator Posts: 11,015
    I just like how Chaotic Neutral sounds.

    Aerakar
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 2,784
    Chaotic neutral is quite fun in fiction stories, but in real life hanging out with unreliable people is a pain in the neck.

    BelgarathMTHAerakarFinnTheHumanJuliusBorisov
  • SkatanSkatan Member Posts: 3,543
    DJKajuru said:

    Chaotic neutral is quite fun in fiction stories, but in real life hanging out with unreliable people is a pain in the neck.

    Just because you are unrealiable yourself doesn't mean you have to only hang out with others of the same alignment. I often combine CN with a lower WIS score so that my character often takes decisions on a whim and seldom plan anything beforehand. He or she just does whatever he/she feels like, in that moment and in that context. But yeah, this is really not the thread for starting up another alignment discussion. Sorry for that.

    Grum
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,326
    Skatan said:

    DJKajuru said:

    Chaotic neutral is quite fun in fiction stories, but in real life hanging out with unreliable people is a pain in the neck.

    Just because you are unrealiable yourself doesn't mean you have to only hang out with others of the same alignment. I often combine CN with a lower WIS score so that my character often takes decisions on a whim and seldom plan anything beforehand. He or she just does whatever he/she feels like, in that moment and in that context. But yeah, this is really not the thread for starting up another alignment discussion. Sorry for that.

    Well, this sounds familiar. My CN Gnome Bard character usually has a wisdom of 8. She acts on impulse, whimsy, and fun. It gets her in trouble sometimes but she's never malicious.

    Skatansemiticgod
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 784

    As for the romance stuff, I'm guessing you feel that way because of age gaps, and, well, undead, respectively?

    Heh, I listed my problems with the Viconia romance in another thread but basically it's extremely unequal in terms of life experience. Additional problem is that Viconia comes from an horribly misandrist society and is not completely out of the mindset herself. And finally the justification of going with it "you can change her" is very condescending. There are more common ground between Charname and Saerileth than Charname and Viconia, as improbable as it sounds.

    Hexxat simply adds necrophilia to the age difference.

    Of course it's entirely subjective and considering that my favorite love story is Saya no Uta, it's better to take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

    ThacoBell
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 677
    You don't need optimization, kits, or deep understanding of the AD&D rules to beat the games just fine on any difficulty. Tactics and use of terrain (choke points, etc.) are all an adventurer needs.

    BelgarathMTHAerakar
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 626
    edited August 2016
    I've never really understood why Irenicus dungeon is so tedious to people, so much that a specific mod was created to bypass it altogether. I can think of other games that have far longer introductions, that could be a lot more frustrating when replaying the game.

    You have Imoen to haste you, traps are minimal and the enemies are hardly tougher than gibberlings.

    ThacoBellAerakar
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 626
    Certainly the mod is practical and of course it gets repetitive replaying it a million times. I guess I don't really think I ever bothered with skipping it, because personally I don't think it's that even long or tedious in comparison to for example Kotor 2 or DA:O which imo requires more effort. As much as I like kotor 2, the peragus mining facility is a pain in the ass on replays.

    As for the goblins..Eh I guess, but kobolds aren't that far off from cliche either..

    Aerakar
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,187
    speaking of kotor and da:o

    I don't find either taris, peragus, or the fade that long with each replay.

  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,395
    batoor said:

    Certainly the mod is practical and of course it gets repetitive replaying it a million times. I guess I don't really think I ever bothered with skipping it, because personally I don't think it's that even long or tedious in comparison to for example Kotor 2 or DA:O which imo requires more effort. As much as I like kotor 2, the peragus mining facility is a pain in the ass on replays.

    As for the goblins..Eh I guess, but kobolds aren't that far off from cliche either..

    Speaking as someone who doesn't mind Peragus too much, I guess there are two reasons for that. One being that you solo a lot of it, which makes things quicker (and you basically have unlimited haste to make it even quicker), and the other being that even the wimpiest consular build you can put together will still run over the droids even on difficult, whereas if you tried soloing Irenicus' dungeon with a mage or a bard, well, you could do it, but you'd probably have to rest once or twice, so it wouldn't be that easy. KOTOR is just a much easier game than Baldur's Gate, and only gets easier as you level up.

  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Not sure if it's been said yet, but Nalia.

    I feel she is a victim of cut content, namely Imoen's death and the killed 'Stronger' quest. Had Imeon died she'd no longer get comparisons to an otherwise overpowered, better copy of herself. And if the writers had finished her storyline then maybe we could have experienced a fulfilling story arc rather than it just ending at Tor'gal. She's also well written (much like Anomen is), which is not to be confused with likeable. I cringe and smile at some of the stuff she spouts, it's that wonderful combination of the high intelligence and low wisdom (which just reminds me of Xzar and how on paper he's clinically insane but also wise and intelligent to boot haha). My heart definitely aches a little when I hear her 'Another day of freedom...!' line. I'm also a fan of her versitility, yes her thief skills are poor, but that's what rings and potions are in the game for! I buy her lots of mind focusing potions for both a spell learning boost and thief skill boost. And from a role playing perspective she is also very good when Shadowkeeper'd into other classes - Swashbuckler, Bard or Sorceress have been favourites of mine in the past :)

    I also must voice my dislike for Minsc. Sorry Boo.

    FinnTheHumanAerakarJuliusBorisovVbibbi
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 3,228
    edited August 2016
    Vbibbi said:

    batoor said:

    I've never really understood why Irenicus dungeon is so tedious to people, so much that a specific mod was created to bypass it altogether. I can think of other games that have far longer introductions, that could be a lot more frustrating when replaying the game.

    You have Imoen to haste you, traps are minimal and the enemies are hardly tougher than gibberlings.

    Having restarted a few playthroughs in BG2 recently, I've noticed that Irenicus' dungeon doesn't seem as grueling as it used to. It's mostly fairly straightforward and has some good story to unravel.

    BUT the thing which will forever annoy me is the djinni in the pocket plane of air. We get to the door, it's locked and we have to circle around to find the statuette to open the door. Get to the djinni, talk to him, then have to go back out, circle ALL the way back to the dryads and ask for the flask, then circle ALL the way back to the pocket plane. Get the sword, then again circle ALL the way back to the portal to get to the next level. And since the entire party is required to enter the pocket plane, we can't even send one NPC to speak to the dryads and leave the rest of the party right by the djinni to complete the quest immediately.

    It's nice that there is some amount of reactivity (if we already fought Illyich and have the acorns, we can tell this to the dryads and don't have to make more stops) but this is an example of a poorly designed quest where it's basically just walking back and forth between distant parts of a map. There's nothing enjoyable about it and it boils down to doing something else while waiting for the party to slowly walk around.
    @Vbibbi , totally agree with you. That's why I use Ctrl + J por this particular part.

    And @Jaxsbudgie , I totally agreed about Nalia. Didn't know about this cut content, could you give more details?

    PS: She should be a sorcerer or bard IMHO.

    lolienVbibbi
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,280
    Next unpopular opinion by yours truly...

    Being first doesn't make something better, or better yet... originating something doesn't make it better or the best.

  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,390
    My (possibly) unpopular opinion:

    Combat in RPGs is the boring bit.

    simplesVbibbiAyiekie
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 539
    Fardragon said:

    My (possibly) unpopular opinion:

    Combat in RPGs is the boring bit.

    totally the reason i love planescape and can't wait for tides of numenera

    FardragonRavenslightVbibbi
Sign In or Register to comment.