Skip to content

New D&D Movie Announced, Forgotten Realms Mentioned

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Fardragon said:

Yes, the Warcraft team have actually decided to throw money and talent at THEIR movie. I hope it makes pots of money back, if only to convince others to follow suit.

Speaking of that.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48053/warcraft-the-beginning-2016
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Derp, missed these past few posts. It's actually funny as my recent significant other plays like 7-8 ft tall Dragonborn Fighter/Barbarian chicks but she's like 5'4" IRL. Every time I comment on her height she says she's "Ferocious." It's the most adorable thing. Oddly enough I'm tall IRL but I play tiny gnome chicks >_>.

/totes wants to now commission a picture of my Piro char riding on her Dragonborn's shoulders.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 82
    For all you fans of low budget fantasy movies, I would suggest SAGA - Curse of the Shadow. I personally found it much more enjoyable than D&D movies.
    Vallmyr said:

Derp, missed these past few posts. It's actually funny as my recent significant other plays like 7-8 ft tall Dragonborn Fighter/Barbarian chicks but she's like 5'4" IRL. Every time I comment on her height she says she's "Ferocious." It's the most adorable thing. Oddly enough I'm tall IRL but I play tiny gnome chicks >_>.

/totes wants to now commission a picture of my Piro char riding on her Dragonborn's shoulders.

That would be cute.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    http://collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/
    “This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before.”

“I think it will really be moving forward quickly, and I don’t anticipate it not getting greenlit this year, mostly because Warner Bros. has DC now, and LEGO, and the Harry Potter universe that’s being cultivated as their franchises. I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds.”
    Interesting.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageJuliusBorisovNonnahswriter
    edited March 2016
    I love the idea of showing the multiverse, especially considering lots of people don't even know D&D has an official lore. But a GOTG-movie tone? DO NOT WANT! I'm still bitter about the Keystone Cops interpretation of the Nova Corps.
    @kcwise @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage

At first the idea of GotG type of movie didn't appeal to me, but then I remembered the IDW comics chronicling the adventures of Fell's Five and it was a great and fun comic (probably my favorite D&D comic), so a lighthearted adventure might not be a bad thing.
    It is a shame IDW cancelled that comic, it had great characters and a really good party dynamic.
    Same goes for Pathfinder comics, although I like D&D more.
    I hope the movie team takes a cue from those comics.
    I want a movie set in Sigil.
    mlneveseAndrewFoleySkatan

I want a movie set in Sigil.

The city of doors would be better suited for a mini series. Too much trippy material for one movie. Unless they cast Johnny Depp as Hunter S. Thompson type of plane walking wizard :smile:
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    elminster said:

But the real question is...will the metallic blue lipstick make a comeback? =)

Still no confirmation on that metalic blue lipstick. This is most unacceptable!
    mlnevesetbone1
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It does sound like your typical Holywood pitch for a cash-in move GotG meets LotR, Kramer vs Kramer meets The Lavender Hill Mob, etc.

But since GotG and LotR are amongst my favourite movies ever, I'm willing to give it a shot. I've been intending to do an IWD playthrough with a GotG based party.
    Fardragon said:

It does sound like your typical Holywood pitch for a cash-in move GotG meets LotR, Kramer vs Kramer meets The Lavender Hill Mob, etc.

But since GotG and LotR are amongst my favourite movies ever, I'm willing to give it a shot. I've been intending to do an IWD playthrough with a GotG based party.

I suggest to read the GOTG and Nova comics from Annihilation to Thanos Imperative. I'm also thinking of making a ''No Skrulls Allowed'' forum where we celebrate pre-Bendis Marvel Cosmic and complain about post-Bendis Marvel Cosmic.
    dok0zhivago
    edited March 2016
    I've read them all.

Well, not the Nova-pecific ones, Nova is a dick.
    Fardragon said:

I've read them all.

Still a much better character than Sam Alexander.
    elminster said:

elminster said:

But the real question is...will the metallic blue lipstick make a comeback? =)

Still no confirmation on that metalic blue lipstick. This is most unacceptable!
    Whats with his ears?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Whats with his ears?

I've done some research on this actually. I've studied all the old manuscripts for the movie, interviewed all the cast, directors, producers and the make-up and scenery/props personel. I even talked to the set's janitor to get the gritty rumours. I visited all the sites for filming and talked to the local population, asking them thourough questions about the movie. After doing all this I've finally come to a conclusion:

They are red.

Rodrianlolien
    Fardragon said:

I've read them all.

Having read most of the history of the Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova, I can confidently say that I didn't like the James Gunn movie that much. The comic book versions are far more interesting, especially Peter Quill/Star Lord. His comic background is a much better mythos than in the movie. The movie had the opportunity to create one of the greatest cosmic sagas ever but it settled for a watered down campy flick, where bad storytelling is camouflaged by a popular nostalgic soundtrack. Kudos for introducing the celestials though.
    The "comic background" is way way too big for any movie. It woukd be going for three hours and still be on introductory exposition.

The Gunn movie did an excellent job of sketching out the universe with broard strokes, and as for the chracter of Star Lord, the recent comics have taken thier inspiration from the movie version.
    The changes of comic Starlord was done just to cash in with the movie rather than opening opportunities for new stories. Plus that happened with the Brian Bendis run on GOTG which is hated by pretty much anyone who was familiar with the pre-Marvel NOW's cosmic stories. They should have never fired Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning.
    Dan Abnett went on to greater things (Doctor Who).
    I heard the movie Is gonna bè based on Dragonlance.
    Skatan
    They could do worse.
    Fardragon said:

They could do worse.

Why do you hate Dragonlance?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Oh lawd, please no, not another mockery of D&D movie. :s
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited April 2017

Fardragon said:

They could do worse.

There's no negation. It means there are worse things than Dragonlance to make movies out of. Not that he hates it.

I, on the other hand, do hate dragonlance, because kender are awful.

Zaghoul said:

Oh lawd, please no, not another mockery of D&D movie. :s

But the mockery is the part I'm looking forward to ;)
    tbone1
    edited April 2017

Fardragon said:

They could do worse.

I don't. If I hated it I would have said "they couldn't possibly do worse".

As a story idea it's okay. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it is servicable. I don't have much faith that there is anyone in Holywood capable of turning it into a decent movie though.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited April 2017
    Fardragon said:

I don't have much faith that there is anyone in Holywood capable of turning it into a decent movie though.

Uwe Boll.

Edit: Btw, credit for the picture goes to moviezine.se
    https://www.moviezine.se/nyheter/uwe-boll-tar-metroid-till-vita-duken
    Fardragon
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    scriver said:

I prefer kender to halflings though. But I despise gnomes. Especially Dragonlance gnomes.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited April 2017
    I am not the most familiar with the Dragonlance setting, but from what I have seen it appears to be one of the cornier settings. Ultra-high-fantasy turned up to 11 with a 80s/90s sword and sorcery aesthetic that is just out of fashion now.

Like, I am not saying it couldn't work, other settings managed to revamp their style with the times as well and there is enjoyment to be had in campiness, but how would you pitch, let alone market a project like that? The only way I can see a Dragonlance movie could be made is either on a super small budget or by changing it so drastically that it becomes barely recognisable. I don't think fans would want either.

There exists an absolutely kickass musical based on Dragonlance tho.

Really though, strictly logically speaking, I think a Planescape movie would make the most sense, with a lot of plane/ setting hopping. One of the main features of D&D is how out there and diverse the game is in terms of locations, so it would be smart to utilise that aspect.

For example, a story in which a ragtag group of misfits from different planes gets stranded on one single plane together and then they have to combine their forces to find their way back home with a ton of traveling-by-portal. That would offer the opportunity for some quintessential D&D story telling. Like, think Doctor Who but planar-travel instead of time/space travel and with less focus on one main character.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

scriver said:

I prefer kender to halflings though. But I despise gnomes. Especially Dragonlance gnomes.
    No, halflings are awesome. Kender couldn't even compare.