Skip to content

Fallout 4

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Another 2 hour negative review.
    FinneousPJ
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage What's the gist of it?

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage What's the gist of it?

He goes more in depth to the technical issues and voice acting compared to the guy of the FO3 who basically said the same things i heard about the game (less roleplaying freedom and lore rape) and basically boiled down to the now old ''FO3 sucks and New Vegas rules''. Granted i think FO3 is a bad Fallout game and that New Vegas is more faithful to the spirit of the series but i was expecting something new and more deep from a 1h and 30 minutes video.''

I'm liking this FO4 review so far, the fact that this guy doesn't scream all the time like the FO3 guy also helps.

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i have such a love hate relationship with dw. with stuff like this i agree with him but there are others where i just can't and he acts like a prick wth his opinions.

i have such a love hate relationship with dw. with stuff like this i agree with him but there are others where i just can't and he acts like a prick wth his opinions.

Thats the problem with oldschool RPG fans, its not that they criticize the games, is that they are always jerkasses about it, and thus alienating those people who might be interested in oldschool rpgs.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

90 minutes?? No thx

Yeah, I actually watched it. I'm at work, I don't have anything better to do.

I agree on most points and much of it is applicable for FO4 as well.
    FinneousPJ
    fallout 4 ruined peoples lives.
    FinneousPJShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    @Mathsorcerer do you know Plinketts reviews of Episode 1-3 ? They offer better entertaining then the actual movies.
    I'm really glad he hadn't had anything better to do than this! :#
    http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

Same deal with F4. Pretty much OK, but nothing like the original. Except that George Lucas lost his way and not some new hotshot
    edited September 2016
    !
    Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
    Yamcha said:

@Mathsorcerer do you know Plinketts reviews of Episode 1-3 ? They offer better entertaining then the actual movies.
    I'm really glad he hadn't had anything better to do than this! :#
    http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

Same deal with F4. Pretty much OK, but nothing like the original. Except that George Lucas lost his way and not some new hotshot

I never liked the disturbing comedy of Plinkett which also makes the character completely unsympathetic.

Besides, most of the things people bitch about the prequels: the cheesy dialogues, black and White morality, spactacles separated from human emotions, were all there since the beginning.

The difference is that the OT characters have an higher charisma score and Star Wars was something new and impressive back in 1977. Especially considering most american sci-fi movies before SW were cold and cynical stories like A Space Odissey, Omega Man, Planet of the Apes and that movie about the amusement park with the robots going nuts.
    Skatan

fallout 4 ruined peoples lives.

Nah. It only ruined NMA and RPG Codex users lives.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Fallout 4 is too awesome to ruin lives.

Fallout 4 is too awesome to ruin lives.

Well, yeah, thats just like, your opinion man .
    I'm finding myself just rushing through the main quests now to get rid of the game from my agenda. Man, this game does the same mistake as FO3, it makes me not care the slightest about the actual story. Even when I try to care, like when I finally
    get into the institute and meet Father, and NO DIALOGUE OPTIONS gives me the opportunity to ask WHY the institute is doing what they are doing. Instead the game asks me to choose which faction to join up with without even trying to explain their respective purpose. At least the other three factions give some background that make me might want to pick them, but the institute? Nope, not even after a few missions for them. Father said something like "no, let's not talk more about that" the second he actually ALMOST started to talk about what the f... the institute was all about. Do I really need to google to find out? Wow, that is so bad writing I am actually pissed off.

So for me the game died after I got bored of killing the same unnamed, generic raiders and mutants over.. and over.. and over. After exploring maybe ~20% of the map and at about level 30 the game for a stealth based char became very easy and I lost interrest. I think many locations are really, really cool. But since they use the A1 formula for populating them (abandoned military site = ghouls, high buildings = mutants and the rest are raiders, or gunners which are really just another raider gang but with other outfits) I still lost interrest in searching through new sites.

So, now I rush through the quests as said, and recently two brilliant scientists and engineers ask ME to build crucial parts of the
    Liberty prime mark 2
    just because they want me to use their crafting option in the game, that's just.. cringe worthy and I can't wait to have this crap finished so I can move onto the next.

So, my summarization is: the first ~20-30 hours of exploration and leveling are really great (the game looks amazing, even on such an old engine) but once the repetitiveness of it all sets in due to the "tileset" enemies, the story and writing is just too damn weak to support the game.
    YamchaFinneousPJ
    edited January 2017
    We got another 3 hour long video folks. Hold on your butts.

The Kree Empire and NMA approves of this video.
    Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
    watched it went it first came out. was pretty good. also is an extension of his skyrim video series as alot of his issues started there.

and this is most likely his last fallout related video for awhile.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I'd forgotten about this thread... I've been playing on Survival mode, and my god, it's so much better!! It's more like the game I was hoping it would be. The lack of quick-saving is annoying (although there are enough beds to make it not a major problem), and it'd be nice to have a Morrowind style fast travel between owned settlements (instead of walking the entire length and breadth of the map every time), but for me, there's no other way to play this game.

The nicest thing about it is, you can choose whether you want to have it on or not, so not everybody has to deal with the attrition effects etc if they don't want to.
    @Squire That sounds nice, but unfortunately the hand-holding and lack of challenge is just one of the problems with this game.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageCrevsDaak
    Obsidian has a new game in the work, called "Project Louisiana"
    The next Fallout is placed in New Orleans, coincidences or clever deception?

http://www.pcgamer.com/obsidian-teases-something-called-project-louisiana/
    FinneousPJCrevsDaak
    I don't think Obs Can make a new Fallout without the support from Beth.
    edited January 2017
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/11iox8/we_are_chris_avellone_tim_cain_and_josh_sawyer/c6mt2za/

At least Obsidian was up for future collaboration. Haven't heard from ZeniMax Media since
    FinneousPJmlneveseShapiroKeatsDarkMageCrevsDaak
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457

We got another 3 hour long video folks. Hold on your butts.

The Kree Empire and NMA approves of this video.

Videos like this absolutely fuels my cynicism. I both enjoy this and realize how bad that is. Help. XD
    CrevsDaakShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    Yamcha said:

Obsidian has a new game in the work, called "Project Louisiana"
    The next Fallout is placed in New Orleans, coincidences or clever deception?

http://www.pcgamer.com/obsidian-teases-something-called-project-louisiana/

Yeah. That theory was in the running for all of 15 minutes.

It is since been eclipsed by an increasing pile of evidence that Project LA is likely to be a Pillars of Eternity sequel or add-on.

[Source]
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    So I've finally been able to binge play this game the couple of days since buying it on black friday and it has kept me entertained.

The story so far isnt as dull as everyone claims it is, but like most Beth's game, it gets lost in all the other crap you end up doing if you are not careful.

The character are amusing and I am in love with Piper whom I am roaming the wastelands with. These types of games I usually solo but I have kept her along for the riden She has just enough quirkiness to be unique but not annoyingly so. I think she is both well written and voice acted.

The combat is on par where I usually like it in games. There is enough challenge involved to keep me on my toes, but not frustratingly so. Creatures are diverse, but I do wish there was a way to either join the raiders, or atleast persuade them to give up their ways once their main leader has been dealt with. Recruit them into your settlements. But there is a slight satisfaction to watching an enemy's head explode like a melon, so it has that going for it.

I am also not spam leveling, so traversing the wasteland is tense filled as I attempt to avoid fights I think I'll lose.

I loathe the tech tree though. Level capping abilities is stupid and defeats RP. If I want to be a master locksmith as soon as I leave the vault, I should have that option. Instead of capping the ability to level, they should have capped it to a higher SPECIAL score. The last couple of levels I didnt know what I wanted to take as everything I want to do is capped off.

Like Skyrim, I will probably sink a good 200 hours into it, which I think is a good investment for the 40 bucks canadian i paid. I probably wont pick up any DLCs for it unless I get them on the cheap (I didnt buy any Skyrim DLCs) as there is enough in the base game to keep me occupied before I tire of it.
    mlneveseSkatanYamchascriver
    deltago said:

SNIP

Creatures are diverse, but I do wish there was a way to either join the raiders, or atleast persuade them to give up their ways once their main leader has been dealt with. Recruit them into your settlements. But there is a slight satisfaction to watching an enemy's head explode like a melon, so it has that going for it.

Diverse? :D How many hours have you played so far? I have to admit, the incredibly low diversity of enemies and critters was one of the things that made me quit playing. Killing the exact same raiders and mutants over and over again was a choir that just became so boring after a while. So, I'm curious on how far you are by now.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I think I should have said encounters are diverse as you got your 4 different types of enemies. Humans, Ghouls, Super Mutants and Wild Life. And yes, there does seem to be too many shoot first raiders and then almost everything else bull rushes you.

But a fight between you and a Super Mutant firing rockets at you from a suspension bridge is different than one bull rushing you with a board. They are both the same type of enemy, both have the same canned lines, but both encounters are completely different and handled in different ways. That's kinda what I mean.

And with games like these, it is best to check your completionist at the door. If you do every area, or building you come across, it'll get repetitive real fast as there is so much diversity you can put into a game this size.
    SkatanYamchamlnevese
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for my habit of doing something (constrictively or not) while listening to videos/vlogs/reviews I acutally went through all this video.

And I have to say, that this guy while being negative about the game, is quite reasonable and fair. He gives credit to this game where it deserves (example, to combat), even if overall he thinks the game is not good enough. I am also thankful since he rose up some points I wasn't aware of (and I should be).
    FinneousPJVallmyr

New vid
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageYamcha