Skip to content

Protection from Evil

I apologize if I'm "double posting" or whatever folks call it and get angry about. I tried searching but didn't really find the answer I was looking for. In BGEE and BG2EE, do the Protection from Evil spells give a +2 bonus to saving throws? I've noticed that the spell description does not mention this, but I know that this bonus was originally given before.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited November 2015
    It's my understanding that the saving throw bonus only applies to attacks and spells from evil critters. It won't show up on the record screen.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    They do not appear to on the surface but I haven't looked into Attack Roll Penalty (opcode 219) other than to note that it does improve your AC by 2 against the ids target chosen. The old versions did increase saving throws by 2, if I recall.
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    I used to have at least three Prot. from Evil 10' memorized at all times on a cleric and try to always "keep it up" so to speak, as most baddies are evil and +2 bonus on saving throws is nothing to sneeze at. If it has indeed been "nerfed", then there are better fourth level options to be had.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited November 2015
    Unless it has recently been fixed without me noticing, Protection from Evil doesn't actually check the alignment of the enemy, and therefore gives a bonus against all enemies whether Evil or not.

Edit: ah, it appears from later posts that it was indeed fixed without me noticing!
    Post edited by Gallowglass on
    semiticgoddessYelocessej
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    It used to be stackable as well, IIRC. Dunno if it is, I try to avoid such things and haven't looked into it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The Protection from Evil spell didn't change and still gives the AC and saving throws bonuses.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/212542/#Comment_212542
    Yelocessej
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

Unless it has recently been fixed without me noticing, Protection from Evil doesn't actually check the alignment of the enemy, and therefore gives a bonus against all enemies whether Evil or not.

Pretty sure they fixed that...
    Why does the spell description not mention the saving throw bonus any more? I would say that's fairly important information.

Why does the spell description not mention the saving throw bonus any more? I would say that's fairly important information.

I would say that is because it never gave saving throw bonuses and the description was updated to match this. There were a lot of bad descriptions back in the day...
    CrevsDaak
    Now I'm confused.
    JuliusBorisov

Now I'm confused.

Understandable... even the BG veterans have trouble keeping this stuff straight sometimes. In any case I looked at Protection from Evil 10' Radius in the game data and there is no no saving throw bonus listed as an effect of the spell in either the originals or the enhanced editions.
    JuliusBorisovYelocessejSkatanCrevsDaak
    So am I right to say that PfE 10' is really just a longer lasting version of Defensive Harmony with a very situational effect? Also, it seems that the demons that you need to actually worry about are never stopped by this spell anyway. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to go back to throwing this spell up all the time.
    semiticgoddess
  • tomas_trojanektomas_trojanek Member Posts: 1
    I tested with BG2:EE (v1.3.2064) and I confirm the saving throw bonus is in fact implemented. Note I have SCS and a few other mods installed. My chaotic evil sorcerer first cast Protection from Evil at Imoen and followed with Blindness. Imoen's saving throw vs. spell was 22, which wouldn't be possible without the bonus from PfE.

semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @tomas_trojanek: Welcome to the forums! And have your first Insightful.

Was your sorcerer evil-aligned? If not, that would mean that opcode 219 in Protection from Evil applies to all hostile spells, regardless of the caster's alignment.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

@tomas_trojanek: Welcome to the forums! And have your first Insightful.
    Was your sorcerer evil-aligned? If not, that would mean that opcode 219 in Protection from Evil applies to all hostile spells, regardless of the caster's alignment.

It's tied to opcode 219's creature type, same as the AC bonus.
    semiticgoddess
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I've been wondering about this. Looking at PfE and the 10' radius version, there's nothing obvious in there that suggests the saving throw bonus vs. evil is implemented.

The only thing I can think of is that opcode 233 (modify proficiencies) is set to 1 star in the "PROTECTION_FROM_EVIL" proficiency...and I don't know if that even does anything.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Flashburn said:

The only thing I can think of is that opcode 233 (modify proficiencies) is set to 1 star in the "PROTECTION_FROM_EVIL" proficiency...and I don't know if that even does anything.

It makes PfE detectable by scripts.
    semiticgoddesselminster
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    CrevsDaak said:

Flashburn said:

It makes PfE detectable by scripts.
    I see. I'm out of ideas then, unless kjeron is correct.