Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    My fave D&D settings of all time are probably Eberron, Planescape and Dark Sun, in that order, but I've always had a soft spot for Spelljammer because my first D&D DM for 2nd ed loved Planescape and Spelljammer, and always tried to sprinkle Spelljammer elements into our Planescape games, and the second Planescape game he ran for us turned into a Spelljammer game when we went to a Prime plane (Krynn) and had to visit the deities of magic IN PERSON, and then got sent on a quest through the phlogiston that eventually landed us at another Prime (Abeir-Toril) before the game then turned back into a Planescape game.

Which is all to say, if they did a Spelljammer game, I feel like they'd almost inevitably rob it of the kind of freedom I enjoyed about it over the course of the arc we spent in that setting. If a Spelljammer game didn't let me explore every crystal sphere there is, and basically combine every published setting in a single game, I'd probably feel disappointed. Battling mind flayers in space less a void than an infinity of multi-coloured psychedelic lava lamp fluids is cool enough, but without the ability to land and adventure on different settings, it loses a key component! And that'd be a huge undertaking to make a game like that, easily longer than a decade of development cycle since you'd be making dozens of games to interface with the core game to do it right.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    You know? There is a idea. Why doesn't beamdog make a MMO on the side? I always wanted to see Toril, Eberron or Kynn.

Given..Beamdog is not exactly in the right spot to do that, but it would help with their funds down the road, but the other issue is building a fan base, I don't think today's generation cares too much for DnD, they basically fun of it (what a throwback to the 70s).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    A new game in Spelljammer or Ravenloft would be amazing.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I want a Ravenloft game with 5e rules.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Kaliesto said:

You know? There is a idea. Why doesn't beamdog make a MMO on the side? I always wanted to see Toril, Eberron or Kynn.

Given..Beamdog is not exactly in the right spot to do that, but it would help with their funds down the road, but the other issue is building a fan base, I don't think today's generation cares too much for DnD, they basically fun of it (what a throwback to the get 70s).

MMOs are expensive and have a terrible meta-game. They'd save money by just making an expansive series of maps and areas to cover all the documented regions.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited March 2017
    Kaliesto said:

Given..Beamdog is not exactly in the right spot to do that, but it would help with their funds down the road, but the other issue is building a fan base, I don't think today's generation cares too much for DnD, they basically fun of it (what a throwback to the 70s).

I don't like the idea of D&D MMOs. You want to play a D&D MMO, go play Neverwinter Online. It doesn't work too well, as you'll see playing NWO. And I think it's less that today's generation cares for D&D and more that there needs to be good marketing for it.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Meh... if I want to play an D&D MMO, then I'd start up one of my characters in Dungeons & Dragons Online. Not too terrible a game, all things considered. As well as the only real Eberron RPG video game out there (well, there's also Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard, but it's more an RTS than RPG).

Personally I think the NwN franchise was on the right track. Singleplayer game with optional multiplayer, persistent worlds, fan modules and a powerful toolset on top. As long as the devs make various kinds of tilesets available, the community can take over the creation of innumerable custom campaigns.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    ThacoBell said:

I hate MMOs. Playing them always turns into a chore.

You need premade pvp in your life. Best part about mmos. But there is no decent ones atm.
    Wesboi said:

ThacoBell said:

I hate MMOs. Playing them always turns into a chore.

You need premade pvp in your life. Best part about mmos. But there is no decent ones atm.
    If I wanted that, I'd play a MOBA. lol
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, MOBAs are better for PVP. Massive grinding/the exact competitive build is still needed in MMO pvp. I took great joy in using champions "wrong" and destroying the enemy back when I played League of Legends.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited March 2017
    I didn't like Neverwinter Online, it was alright at first, but then I noticed the greedy hand of Perfect World (which I experienced before from Perfect World The Game), and I've read a lot of bad stuff about that company.
    edited March 2017
    Kaliesto said:

I never liked Neverwinter Online, it was alright at first, but then I noticed the greedy hand of Perfect World (which I experienced before from Perfect World The Game), and I've read a lot of bad stuff about that company.

Yeah, well... that's really the business model now, unless you're the owner of a) World of Warcraft OR b) Final Fantasy 14. As a consumer, it's not a model I enjoy, to be frank.
    Post edited by rapsam2003 on
  • Jirayia2Jirayia2 Member Posts: 18
    In MMO's people spending money will rule in PvP, otherwise you need a group of 10-15 people that always rolls together to be relevant at all, especially at siege battles.
    Or you can always go PvE, get that max level, farm best craft materials, and get paid much gold by tryhards who 'rules' in PvP but get one shoted by my fella Boss on 280lvl right here.

BG3 should have 100lvl cap at least plx beamgod
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    Jirayia2 said:

BG3 should have 100lvl cap at least plx beamgod

100lvl characters in a DnD game? I'm not sure how that's going to work. Not even the gods get to that level. It'll likely "dilute" the experience too, with it being more focused on grinding and such.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

At level 50, you can blow up a planet (I guess you built the Death Star).

Who needs a Death Star? If you're level 50, at least pull-off a Darth Bane or a Nihilius. I mean, it's not like you couldn't being level 50.
    Jirayia2 said:

In MMO's people spending money will rule in PvP, otherwise you need a group of 10-15 people that always rolls together to be relevant at all, especially at siege battles.

It's almost like you think all PvP in every MMO works the same...
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    The AD&D module H4 - The Throne of Bloodstone was an adventure for character levels 18-100. Lots of fun, too.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    edited March 2017
    Jirayia2 said:

Those mmos u mention are rubbish f2p models which all suck one way or another. The whole point of mmos is party forming for group content or for premade battlegrounds
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

At level 100, you can beat Chara.

The hockey player or the singer?
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited March 2017

The mods/fixes are all good, but they can't be installed in the GOG OS X version (even with my excellent Weidu launcher utility :wink: )

Why not?

I managed to install all the mods suggested in the GOG modding guide, on my GOG version of PS:T on Linux (using Wine).

The game did have issues, of course: A handful of crashes; A few "please insert CD" freezes on area transitions potentially related to fullscreen/windowed mode; And at some point my savegame got borked and I had to ask a friend to give me his savegame from that area so I could continue playing. And yeah, I too hated the radial menu.

But I did manage to finish the game... :)

These days, building an engine from scratch is - imho - nonsensical. There's so many excellent engines. Look at Torment: Tides of Numenara, which just came out. It uses the Unity Engine (which is purchasable or available for free if you don't publish your game). Pics:

It has that classic isometric RPG look, but with a new, better, more robust engine than any of those old game engines (including the EE Engine, I would posit).

...and not moddable.

...and really sluggish performance.

The EE games are performant (e.g. loading and saving is near-instant, and even the SoD battles involving whole armies don't cause lag/stuttering) precisely because Beamdog's programmers optimized them at the engine level.

Maybe it's theoretically possible to take a generic game engine like Unity that wasn't specifically designed for isometric party-based RPGs, and sucessfully build an isometric party-based RPG on top of it that performs as efficiently as the EE games. But I haven't seen an example of that yet. And even if it is possible, it is clearly not what happens when developers follow the path of least resistance with those engines, as evidenced by Pillars, Torment, Shadowrun, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if achieving EE-like performance with such Unity-based RPGs, would require forfeiting a lot of the automation and convenience that the Unity editor provides, in favor of re-implementing a bunch of stuff manually.

...and not moddable.

Actually, Unity Engine is moddable - IF the developer provides the tools for it. And that's the same for any engine, modern or not. If the developer doesn't provide the tools, then we have to have users code it.
    So why haven't modders managed to produce their own WeiDU/DLTCP/NearInfinity like modding tools for Unity games like Pillars of Eternity?

From what I've seen, Unity's data files (at least in the case of Pillars) contain plenty of binary dumps of C# data structures, and item/creature scripts are even compiled into the main executable (with the respective item/creature files containing a pointer into the EXE). That kind of thing would be extremely complex to parse and modify programmatically, especially since the exact layout of the binary dumps might radically change with every patch to the game or engine.

The Infinity Engine uses comparatively simple binary formats, where each type of file has a rigid specialized structure with data fields at well-defined byte offsets and/or in a well-defined order. And it provides the override folder mechanism to replace or add individual assets easily. This made third-party modding tools feasible.

Claiming that concerns about Unity moddability are invalid because it "would" be moddable if someone "would" provide modding tools, is a non sequitur.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    By the way, Beamdog's latest job opening ("Lead Artist") talks about 3D modeling and "Unreal Engine 4".

Is that related to any of the current projects?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    ineth said:

By the way, Beamdog's latest job opening ("Lead Artist") talks about 3D modeling and "Unreal Engine 4".

Is that related to any of the current projects?

Probably.

They aren't posting it for giggles.

But probably not the next game released/announced as that is in Beta and yoy'd hope that all the art direction is done by now.