Skip to content

How to have children and not go insane...

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
After the birth of the second little Martian, I've been considering writing a book about how to have children and not go insane...

Here is a general outline of the chapters I have planned so far...

Chapter 1- Giving up
I couldn't tell in the book's title that remaining sane is absolutely impossible... it would frighten new parents...

Chapter 2 - Sanity is overrated
In this chapter I explain the advantages of insanity and the ways sanity is overrated.

Chapter 3 - Matching your insanity to your kids
Here i'll discuss the many paths of insanity and how to choose those that better match your children.

I think this book should have at least two more chapters so I'm open to suggestions :)

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I summon @Anduin following the wise words of @Shandyr...
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Pro tip. Work nights so u don't have to deal with getting up to do midnight feeds.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited April 2017
    lol Wesboi for the first 5 years of my kiddo's life I worked 3rds. The real challenge in that was if the during the day the sitter was closed and I had to stay awake until 5 pm or later lol.

But the key to not going crazy with kids is that most people are remarkably adaptive. After a while you just get used to the responsibility and it becomes normal to you. You'd be surprised what sort of stress people can just become accustomed to.

But two kiddos is its own can of worms lol "He's looking at me! He's touching my toys!" or the much beloved toddler "MINE!"

I think also being an historian helps lol - I told my kiddo on his first day of kindergarten that I expected more out of him from here on out, because 100 years ago he'd have had to go get a job instead of going to school or help me all day on the farm. They can hack having a lot more responsibility than most people give them credit for.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Yeah I normally live on 5 hours sleep then gotta do the school run while the wifey is at work.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @semiticgod I see the insanity has already found a place in your mind... and it's not even your kid :)