Skip to content

Let's learn a new language!

Comments

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    @Zaghoul I think Japanese is one of those languages that is easy to get a sense of if you know a lot about grammar, while English doesn't give you that kind of advantage. I learned English as a second language, of course, but when I was very young. So I don't really remember what was hard learning, except that the spelling and different pronounciation of letters confused me for a while.

Haha! I've forgotten that part of Bladerunner. I feel more like Salvatore in Name of the rose. The guy who "speaks all languages. And no language."
    Zaghoullolien
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @JoenSo Hah,another favorite movie. I can see that, Salvatore's a great example. :) All we had offered when I was young was French and Spanish.
    Schools in the US are at least starting earlier now but we need to broaden the range even more at that age. I learned most of my grammar rules of English through reading I think, all the darn time. Not by the look of it but by the sound,'does that sentence sound correct' based on reading experience. I'm not sure if that is strange or not. :*
    The young are more sponge like with languages so I am always amazed when some folks pick up new languages so well.

One thing that really amazed me was a few years after my first foray into college and Japanese. I waited tables at a Japanese hibachi restaurant. Often native speakers would come in, say thing in Japanese, when I already stopped studying it. I would often understand just what they said, and THEN say the proper response back. I would always ask myself 'did I just say that'?
    I think immersion learning is the best way, and doing it from a cultural learning perspective is even better.

I don't like to see languages and cultures disappear, but when a native language, from anywhere, goes, I think also goes an important and binding/ identifying part of that culture as well.

It is great to see how interest in a game brings different languages to a site like this one does. B)
    lolien
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Hmm that is very interesting
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovlolien
    Zaghoul said:

@JoenSo Hah,another favorite movie. I can see that, Salvatore's a great example. :) All we had offered when I was young was French and Spanish.
    Schools in the US are at least starting earlier now but we need to broaden the range even more at that age. I learned most of my grammar rules of English through reading I think, all the darn time. Not by the look of it but by the sound,'does that sentence sound correct' based on reading experience. I'm not sure if that is strange or not. :*
    The young are more sponge like with languages so I am always amazed when some folks pick up new languages so well.

One thing that really amazed me was a few years after my first foray into college and Japanese. I waited tables at a Japanese hibachi restaurant. Often native speakers would come in, say thing in Japanese, when I already stopped studying it. I would often understand just what they said, and THEN say the proper response back. I would always ask myself 'did I just say that'?
    I think immersion learning is the best way, and doing it from a cultural learning perspective is even better.

I don't like to see languages and cultures disappear, but when a native language, from anywhere, goes, I think also goes an important and binding/ identifying part of that culture as well.

It is great to see how interest in a game brings different languages to a site like this one does. B)

Yes, I think immersion is the best way too. Grammar skills do of course help a lot to make sense of the immersion. But it is also easy to fall into the classical trap where you start overthinking the grammar while talking instead of getting a feel of what sounds right. I've sure done it with Spanish. "Voy, vas, va, vamos..." While I learned English through, well, Baldur's gate and other games, movies and books.

I think Duolingo and similar digital solutions are a fantastic way to keep minority languages alive. Duolingo has courses in both Guarani and Irish now, which has made it so much easier for so many people to learn languages that otherwise might disappear. I think it could also help schools like the ones you are talking about in the US to broaden the range of languages they can offer.
    JuliusBorisovlolienZaghoul
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Skatan
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    What, they have Klingon but no Quenya?? No deal!! ;)

Seriously though, it looks like a pretty cool site, I might try it... I've been thinking about trying Polish.

Question: how advanced does this go? I'm always looking to improve my German but I already have a fairly good grasp of the basics, so just re-learning "guten tag, wie gehts?" etc won't really help me.
    edited June 2017
    @Squire I'm about 2/3 through the Spanish course and it gets pretty advanced in terms of vocabulary and grammar. When you start a new course you can also take a placement test so you can skip past the basics and start closer to your own level.
    Post edited by JoenSo on
    lolien
    Duolingo actually took the effort to point, laugh and tell me that @Shandyr is better than me at this. Seriously, Duo?

FinneousPJ[Deleted User]lolien
    Haha that's not very subtle
    JoenSo
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JoenSoSkatan
    Skatan
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Yes, they are right.
    [Deleted User]lolien
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    lolienSkatan
    If I were you, I would still apply for the course for language level A2 because I think that learning a new language with the assistance of a teacher is definitely better that learning that language just by your own.

Let us know if you passed the test.
    [Deleted User]lolien
    lolienSkatan
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    40% of the language is gestures:

FinneousPJ[Deleted User]
    AedanlolienJoenSoSkatan
    What has happened to thine display name
    [Deleted User]
    edited September 2017
    @Shandaxx
    How did you find the Italian version of HOMM3? We discussed about this - it is very rare. Luckily for me, I bought it back in the days ;)
    [Deleted User]
    FinneousPJlolienAedanSkatan
    SethDavisSkatan
    LOL XD
    I wonder what they say in the "Discuss sentence" section... :D
    [Deleted User]
    Skatan
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Horse with carrot... mmm, yummy!
    [Deleted User]
    ZaghoullolienSkatan
    All' those sentences have no sense.
    Damn, the last one is bad.
    lolienSkatan