Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    @RVNS Greywolf is no problem as he has no distance attack. Without SCS blind is a good option for him, but with SCS he will run all over the place if blinded (dragging other enemies in). You're better off just running him in circles and using spells and missiles (or wands if desired) to deal with him.

Mulahey is potentially a bit more of a problem. He starts slightly nearer the cave entrance with SCS, but it's still possible to come inside and rest immediately. I would be inclined to use something like web or stinking cloud to disable him from out of sight and kill him before he recovers.
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    @Borco thank you for the awesome feedback!
    @Grond0 awesome. That was what I was hoping to hear on those encounters. I'm thinking of grabbing my fifth level and haste to make the kiting of greywolf easier. I think web and stinking cloud are awesome ways of dealing with mulahey. Thanks for the advice! On another note how difficult is the grill stronghold on scs?
    Gnoll not grill. Stupid autocorrect
    @Ygramul Does that mean that George Foreman is the leader of the Gnoll, er...Grill stronghold?
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    RVNS said:

@Ygramul Does that mean that George Foreman is the leader of the Gnoll, er...Grill stronghold?

... only in the SCS enhanced version.
    (One imagines that he dual wields spatulas.)
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    edited September 2017
    RVNS said:

I have a question for where to proceed from here. I was thinking of going to do the quick and easy little quests in beregost then going to proceed to the sirines and then to greywolf for Varscona and then to mulahey. On Mulahey and Greywolf I have never fought them in scs. Anything I need to be concerned with or should watch out for? I am level 5 thief, level 4 mage, level 4 fighter and I am hoping to level fighter and mage to level 5 before proceeding there. Thoughts and tactics are appreciated here. Alternatively if someone thinks I should go grab loot from an area before I try this or if I should hold off just let me know. As I have said before I am not very familiar with scs.

@Grond0 gave excellent advice. An alternative is to run round and round the mountain where he attacks you. From time to time you will get a chance to hide. Do so and you then have a chance of a perfectly safe attack from a distance. Ranged weapons, magic missiles or wands come to mind. If he is nearly dead you could try a backstab so long as you are confident of your ability to run away afterwards if the backstab fails.

Remember the adage: he that fights and runs away lives to fight another day! Using this method is time consuming but safe. Playing no-reloads SAFE is good!
    Ygramul said:

RVNS said:

... only in the SCS enhanced version.
    (One imagines that he dual wields spatulas.)
    :D
    Ygramul said:

RVNS said:

Gnoll not grill. Stupid autocorrect

No takebacks! From this day henceforth Dynaheir is held captive at the Grill Stronghold!

Ahem. Carry on.
    Perhaps they torture her by putting her on a spit roast. :D
    edited September 2017

Journal of Aglazuth

I collected the Bowl for Tenya and fought and beat Zargos Flintblade. Well that last comment isn't precisely true. I led him to the mine where the Amnish Guard badly wounded him. I then led him away to finish him off, but some stupid mine worker got between him and me and he went the long way round during which time the Amnish Guard killed him. I think that was about 650 exp lost.

On the positive side I know have a +1 Axe, my favourite weapon. :)

I then returned to the FAI. Tarnesh hurt me badly, but he died whereas I recovered.

I was given a number of antidotes to poison and I acquired some golden pantaloons. Afterwards Lena gave me an EXCEEDINGLY relaxing massage courtesy of RE.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    RVNS said:

On another note how difficult is the grill stronghold on scs?

The grill stronghold (watch out for their barbecue sauce) shouldn't be too hard for you. The calls for help mean you may be faced with a lot of enemies at once, but sleep will quickly cut them down to size and there are plenty of opportunities to run away and use stealth to break contact.
    I find Jaheira's Entangle was enough to shoot down the Grills one at a time.

(Meanwhile, keeping things PG13, despite acknowledging entendres.) :)
    Nothing like a typo to lighten things up a bit. :D
    Well I'm glad to see I have lightened the mood today. @Wise_Grimwald @semiticgod @Ygramul Thank you for the advice/humor! The break down on Stun is particularly useful.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I forgot: Spell Immunity: Conjuration can also block PW: Stun.
    RVNS said:

I have a question for where to proceed from here. I was thinking of going to do the quick and easy little quests in beregost then going to proceed to the sirines and then to greywolf for Varscona and then to mulahey. On Mulahey and Greywolf I have never fought them in scs. Anything I need to be concerned with or should watch out for? I am level 5 thief, level 4 mage, level 4 fighter and I am hoping to level fighter and mage to level 5 before proceeding there. Thoughts and tactics are appreciated here. Alternatively if someone thinks I should go grab loot from an area before I try this or if I should hold off just let me know. As I have said before I am not very familiar with scs.

On the way to Mulahey there are some extra kobolds who can be a bit of a problem. A shaman, a chief and some kobold guards. They are fragile, but if you are not expecting them you get a nasty surprise.
    edited September 2017
    @semiticgod @Alesia_BH and other experts:

2) You are playing in a classic install with the G3 Fixpack or in an EE install, and have applied G3's Free Action Protects Against Stun component from the Optional But Cool section of the Fixpack.
    Like I am grossly wrong on this but...
    I thought that EE included the Fixpack?

My current install (EE/Steam/Mac) has only SCS as a mod. Shall I then assume that, e.g., the Free Action Ring does not protect against stun?
    (If so, I had a very lucky run so far assuming that it had. Though I keep my saving throws low.)

If not, what install order do you recommend?

FixPack -> SCS
    (Anything else considered essential here?)

** Bonus question: **

What, in your personal opinion, is the state of the Item Revisions+Spell Revisions+SCS[modified for SR] together?

I know there are recent beta releases for IR and SR but my game time is so little as is that I don't wanna risk wasting a run if they are not judged to be stable and balanced AND successfully incorporated to SCS yet.

Thanks again a whole lot of your insight on all this.
    @Alesia_BH Lots too learn for me. I have not had any problems with the asking the question portion and I regularly read on the reload threads and the did you know threads. They so far have shaped my paths and my route I have been taking. Lots of good information from the best that the community has to offer in this thread.

I've really enjoyed my run so far, it's much more challenging than a standard run.

P.S. http://www.gibberlings3.net/ seems to be down. I wonder if it is only temporary.
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    7!