Skip to content

Favorit non-scripted moment (epic, fun or random) in an Infinity Engine-Game

So I've been playing with the idea of starting a thread like this and just waited for a while to see if one would pop up. If there has been a similar thread on the forums it's either been dead for a while (RIP) or invisible for me.

So here's what happened on my first play-through with both BG games consecutively (Probably 2006): I chose to be a druid, doing most things solo and stumbling my way through the saga, with an increasing number of reloads, which I tried to keep as low as possible.

BG II spoilers inside:
By the time I reached Firkraag in his dungeon, I had only just reached level 15 and gained the ability of Elemental Summoning for my first epic slot. Again, I did not have a clear idea of what I was doing. When initiating battle, I sent Sunnis, the Earth Elemental Prince (that's where I had started getting lucky) up front and decided that it would be a good idea to unleash all of his special abilities on the dragon.

So while I was in the back-row (spell-)slinging, Sunnis split the ground with a mighty earthquake. From the earth, another massive Earth Elemental erupted and lo! started battling my champion, the prince, who was now beset upon by two molochian opponents.

Of course, I did what any sensible gamer would have done with my amount of knowledge and heightened pulse-rate, and immediately paused the game to start hurling curses at the screen, ready to hit the re-load button, when something crossed my mind.

Just before this dungeon, I had been to the De'Arnise Keep and found a ring, which I was still carrying with me at that moment: The ring of Earth Elemental Control. After a short moment of "What have I got in my pocket?", I slipped the ring on my finger and, with trembling hands, tried to charm the rogue Earth Elemental that had appeared only moments prior (in-game time, that is). I... succeeded.

Under the weight of two mountains and many, many insect bites, even the majestic Firkraag collapsed and I emerged victoriously from my first confrontation with the beast. I've never been as euphoric after a battle as I was back then.

Now I would like to hear YOUR tales! :smile: The idea behind this thread is to share cool stuff that probably didn't happen to anyone else, so I see at least one or two wild surges incoming. :wink:

I continue being thrilled by the possibilities IE-games have to offer and hope you feel the same.

Tymora shine on you. (Not that you'll need it) :smiley:

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    In my bg1 games sarevok often starts attacking angelo or semaj due to AoE. Not sure if that happens to others.

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    that's odd. the thralls normally auto-die if you wait too long outside the room
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

that's odd. the thralls normally auto-die if you wait too long outside the room

They probably did, but not before a summon poisoned the Warden killing him as well.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    First, when I fought against Ascension Amelyssan for the first time. For the sake of all the Demons of the Abyss. I spent around 6 hours reloading just in the Irenicus + Bodhi fight, and the first time I won I got crushed by the Five without having saved the game. I think I've never beaten Ascension Amelyssan with that party, since it was actually my first BG2 run, but I loaded the last save and went into the battle so I could get past it easily on my no-reload solo-Sorcerer run (aka CHEESE_WISH123), which anyway got killed by Improved Illasera or some other stuff at the start of ToB.

Second, the classic multiplayer Thief n00b mistake I always make, "There's a trap nearby don't move your PCs." Then I move my Thief and walk over the trap. Usually to have him/her get killed by it and thus forcing a reload/Temple Rush.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    I am not sure how it happened but once when my party was battling Kangaxx and we couldn't defeat him (getting our butts kicked) we fled only to have him follow us up the stairs and into the streets of the Bridge District. The flaming fist so kindly helped distracted him as we fled to another map - as we were running away (aka tactical retreat lol) Kangaxx was making short work of the Flaming fists and we have never returned to the the Bridge district ever again. I imagine he is ruling the Bridge District as the Kingdom of Kangaxx or something.

We all know Terminsel is Eliminster and he mostly ignores us when we try to pick pocket him and usually fail - nothing happens. Will this time we pick pocketed him during the Harper Quest story line and the dialogue box that should appear did not because Jaheria was unconscious at the time - so Hexxat thought it was a good idea to try another pick pocket - she downed a potion of mastery thievery - and proceeded to pick pocket him and if she failed it would be only at the cost of one potion. Unfortunately he turned red because of this failed pick pocket which surprised the heck out of all of us - what |"he's not supposed to get angry at us!?" (the game did not go into dialogue with Jaheria so this is a minor bug or something) and he proceeded to kick our butts very effectively - on the bright side I was able to hit him once for a few points of damage.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Killing Glaicas in vanilla BG2 by bouncing a Lightning Bolt off the wall five times.

Consoling Adalon into Brynnlaw in Nightmare mode and roasting her with the scorcher loop in a fraction of a second.

Nailing Cookies the Acid Kensai with an Arrow of Dispelling shot by a Vhailor's Helm simulacrum to remove his saving throw bonuses, casting Death Ward on him to burn out his spell protections, and then hitting him with the Wand of Paralyzation until he finally failed a save.

Also, killing Cookies by creating a feedback loop between the backlash effects of Sanchuudoku and the Yamato from Item Revisions, allowing my character to slash him to death in her sleep.

Going to fight the Twisted Rune in Nightmare mode with a blind Kensai/Thief, and hiding in plain sight because Shangalar, unlike other liches, could not see through invisibility.

Stun-locking Kangaxx with +1 flashers.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    One-shotting that idiot drow Captain Egeissag in Sendai's enclave with the Ravager halberd on a recent run. I was still improved hasted from the Diaytha fight so I ran over as soon as the beholder finished his geas and critted him on the first hit so he literally didn't get to do a single thing.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    A few from recent runs:

1) Guard in Cloakwood mined: "I can take on Drizzit with both arms tied behind my back!"

Same guard one second later: "Arrrgh..."

Wonder how long he would stand against Drizz(i)t, with or without using his hands. :grin:

2) Decapitating Nizidramanii'yt in Suldanessellar with the silver sword +3. I spent several minutes buffing up for a fight that lasted five seconds.

3) Khalid, right after wasting a few Shadow Druids in Cloakwood: "Gorion would be proud of your actions!"
  • HipercsigaHipercsiga Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2017
    My character gets beaten up by the two-fold trust monks.
    Lilancor: Who's your daddy?

Dorn: You have a problem?
    Edwin: Yes

Yoshimo: Hiii-ya, the tourists love that stuff.
    Viconia: I'm tired of spending my time with fools.

Yoshimo expresses his concern about our travel to spellhold.
    I click on a courtesan by accident and she offers her services to Yoshimo.
    Yoshimo replies that he will take the deal when he is unoccupied. (you heartless shifty bastard)

I took Rasaad WAAAY after I slept with Dorn just to make his quest, getting extra XP and true sight gem.
    Rasaad out of nowhere: You took this animal into your bed? I'm through with you Zariah!
    Dorn: Most disagreeable!
    (Someone was a very bad monk)

Post edited by Hipercsiga on
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112
    edited October 2017

My character gets beaten up by the two-fold trust monks.
    Lilancor: Who's your daddy?

Dorn: You have a problem?
    Edwin: Yes

Yoshimo: Hiii-ya, the tourists love that stuff.
    Viconia: I'm tired of spending my time with fools.

Yoshimo expresses his concern about our travel to spellhold.
    I click on a courtesan by accident and she offers her services to Yoshimo.
    Yoshimo replies that he will take the deal when he is unoccupied. (you heartless shifty bastard)

I took Rasaad WAAAY after I slept with Dorn just to make his quest, getting extra XP and true sight gem.
    Rasaad out of nowhere: You took this animal into your bed? I'm through with you Zariah!
    Dorn: Most disagreeable!
    (Someone was a very bad monk)

Wait, you need to date Dorn to get his quest?
    I thought everything triggers as long as he is in the party?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Joan_Daro No you don't need to date him. He just needs to be in the party. One of his quests in BG2 requires him to be level 12 and thats it.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

So while I was in the back-row (spell-)slinging, Sunnis split the ground with a mighty earthquake. From the earth, another massive Earth Elemental erupted and lo! started battling my champion, the prince, who was now beset upon by two molochian opponents.

That makes no sense. The whole idea of the Earthquake spell summoning hostile earth elementals was that the elementals dislike mere mortals toying with the land. But here it's not a mere mortal toying in the land; it's an earth elemental doing it. In fact, it's a super earth elemental doing it! If there is anyone the earth elementals wouldn't mind toying with the land, it would be Sunnis.
    Who knows? Maybe Sunnis is actually an infamous jerk among the earth elemental community.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Who knows? Maybe Sunnis is actually an infamous jerk among the earth elemental community.

I doubt that. Sunnis is good-aligned. The real infamous earth elemental jerk is Ogremoch.
    Maybe they confused Sunnis for Ogremoch. They all use the same animation.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Ogremoch actually does have a good-aligned twin brother - Entemoch. Sunnis is actually the Elemental Princess of Earth, and is supposed to resemble a giant female humanoid.
    Ooh lah lah!
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2017
    Memories of my two Charnames - both mages. First happened very long time ago, on my first play of BG 2. Brave Charname tried casting disintegrate on mr. Redhead Firkraag - and the great dragon turned to dust. Carsomyr and red scales were gone too, and I was very surprised on my next play what treasures were lost in that battle. Second mage Charname years later casted finger of death on black dragon in Suldanesselar - fight was over before it even started. That was a great moment!
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2017
    Another one - bug from the days when Tales of the sword coast were brand new. Durlags tower and the fight with four dwarflike guys near the well. Tough fight it was - but suddenly in the middle of it, those four began to multiply. And so ended the tale of my Charname and his unlucky companions, killed by evil army of cloned dwarves..