Skip to content

Favorite Spell Sequences

What are some of your favorite Sequencer combinations?

Minor Sequencer:
Web + Web
Bless + Chant (Cleric/Mage)
Doom + Silence (Cleric/Mage)

Sequencer:
Greater Malison + Confusion + Emotion:Hopelessness
Web + Spider Spawn + Spider Spawn
Skull Trap + Skull Trap + Skull Trap
JuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteenBlackravenRik_KirtaniyaAndreaColombo

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Greater Malaison + Greater Malaison + Feeblemind.
    ThacoBellAndreaColombo
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Really? Thought it used to in a sequencer. Doom + Malaison + Feeblemind then.
    OrlonKronsteenBlackravenJuliusBorisovAndreaColombo
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited November 2017
    Double web is about all I remember using. I never play without at least 3 casters so I don't have much need for them.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

Doom does not stack in any version of the game...

@semiticgod I cannot say how thankful I am to you for this information. All these days, I was playing with the misconception that it stacked, and felt so complacent about it. (I had read in a few places that it did stack, but now having checked the wiki, I found out that you are right.) You just saved my party by clearing this doubt.

...Project Image can no longer be cast multiple times in EE.

So they changed this in the EE. I know that they have done this to maintain the "balance", but I feel utterly ruined. :'( The only reason I would take Chain Contingency over Time Stop was this Project Image x3 application, but now that it no longer works.....Alas!

I think Protection from Energy no longer stacks in EE.

I don't know if you consider the Baldur's Gate wiki to be a reliable source of information, but this is what it says about Protection from Energy :

"This spell stacks with itself, offering up to 127% resistance to fire, cold, electricity, acid, and magic damage, at which point the above damage types will heal the character by 27% of the damage number they should have caused, but may still interrupt actions such as spellcasting."

"There’s a lesser version of this spell [Protection From The Elements], which excludes magic damage resistance, nor does it stack with itself."

Maybe you've confused between the two?

Nevertheless, I'll immediately edit my previous post so that it no longer contains fallacious information that may serve to confuse others. Thanks once again.
    AndreaColombololien
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2017
    I'm not sure the double Web actually works any better than one Web, because my understanding is that a single saving throw is made for all the spells in the sequencer. That means any stacking of save-or-else spells in sequencers is wasted.

@semiticgod , @JuliusBorisov , @Grond0 , Can any of you confirm whether this is true or not?

Maybe enemies only save once against the initial casting of multiple Webs, but then have to save against each Web separately in following rounds? What about Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill?
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

Maybe enemies only save once against the initial casting of multiple Webs, but then have to save against each Web separately in following rounds? What about Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill?

Hello @BelgarathMTH, I can't tell about Webs and Stinking Clouds, but here's a simple experiment that I've done to confirm the fact that multiple Cloudkills stack. :smiley:

I got Aerie and Jan to cast Cloudkills using wands, and made my protagonist stand amidst those fumes. Now, if they didn't stack, he would have received damage from only one of them. But, as can be seen from the screenshot below, he's receiving damage from both the Clouds.

So the inference? Cloudkills stack. B)
    semiticgoddessBelgarathMTHlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Sure, double or triple Webs stack, because each of them will act in the area in question. The same with Cloudkill.
    semiticgoddessPantalionStummvonBordwehrBlackraven
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    As for single-target spells, whether or not they will force two saving throws is another question. Unless an EE update has changed it, the only way for a double Charm Person Minor Sequencer, for example, to force two saving throws is to have Spell Revisions installed.

Same goes if you use the Wand of Lightning trick to hit somebody with multiple Wand of Paralyzation charges simultaneously. They'll only need to make one saving throw.

Likewise, two spells in the same sequencer will strike as if they were one spell for the purposes of burning through spell protections. A double Aganazzar's Scorcher Minor Sequencer will only take 2 spell levels out of Minor Spell Turning, instead of 4. Spell Revisions will also prevent this from happening; that Minor Sequencer would strike as 4 spell levels.
    BelgarathMTH
  • thar_thaazdhenthar_thaazdhen Member Posts: 16
    Hi @BelgarathMTH. It is thanks to you that I no longer try Spell Sequencer - 3x Polymorph Other on Firkraag as it doesn't work as expected. You mentioned that in some older post.

I started a new thread to discuss the effect of sequencers on saving throws: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66870/sequencers-vs-saving-throws

I did a plenty of tests and observed (sometimes) surprising results..
    BlackravenBelgarathMTH
  • malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
    I do have problems getting many combos to work correctly. I often get the message that some of spells failed, even when it's stuff like summons, etc.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited November 2017

I do have problems getting many combos to work correctly. I often get the message that some of spells failed, even when it's stuff like summons, etc.

When you use the trigger on a spot which is farther away than the spell's actual range, the spell fails. Stick two burning hands and one magic missile in a sequencer and cast it on a far away target. Magic missile will work, but you will get 'one of the spells has failed' message twice as burning hands spells fail, they can not hit a target not close by. Normally, when you cast burning hands, your character will walk towards the target and cast it closely. This is not checked in sequencers, sequencers try to cast the spell from where you actually are, and sometimes it fails if the spell requires close proximity. You need to get close and use the sequencer directly on contact to burn with multiple burning hands. Skull trap is also tricky, since its range is a bit shorter than fireball, too. Also, if you use a personal only spell on a target other than yourself, it will also fail. Like using mirror image spell on another target. Or invisibility on a far away target also fails, since invisibility requires close contact like burning hands. You can use invisibility+mirror image directly on yourself, though.
    Rik_Kirtaniya