Skip to content

If you could strip the world of one bad idea what would that be ?

dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
Self interest
semiticgoddess

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Communism...
    WarChiefZekesemiticgoddessFlashburnFinneousPJ
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Trump
    Balrog99FinneousPJAmmarHooAmEye
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Hard one. But right off I would say nothing, because I am not entirely certain what it would cause in response. Well, some things maybe more than others but the world is what it is and I tend to roll with it as best I can. Lately I have been a leaf on the wind, talking whatever comes my way and dealing with it as needed, or not.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Computers
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Feminists
    WarChiefZekeFlashburnFinneousPJBalrog99
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2017
    Twitter

: = )
    FinneousPJBalrog99
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Capitalism
    Son_of_ImoenFinneousPJAmmarHooAmEye
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Social Justice.
    FlashburnFinneousPJBalrog99
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Tribalism.
    BelleSorciereFinneousPJHooAmEye
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Entitlement
    BelleSorciereFinneousPJBalrog99
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Humans
    Son_of_ImoenSkatanMathsorcerer
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Groundhogs.
    semiticgoddesslolien
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited November 2017
    Capitalism, or humans, I'm not really sure.

*edit: capitalism is an idea, humans are a thing, so sticking to the question, capitalism it is.
    BelleSorciereFinneousPJAmmar
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    The consequences of removing an idea from the world are to unpredictable to actually choose. And ideas are needed, even if I hate some of these. Example, as much as I hate politics, all politics in general, I recognize there is need for it.

I also believe that me disagreeing with a certain idea does not mean that it should be removed.
    Zaghoulsemiticgoddesslolien
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    JoenSo said:

The idea that the world would somehow be better off without feminism.

I would very much prefer a world where the idea of feminism is not needed because the problem that it adresses would not exist. Myself I don't want to be equal to a man, I want to be taken and accepted for what I am as a person - including being a woman - and I despise any idea that tries to make gender a discriminating factor.
    BelleSorciereFinneousPJBalrog99tbone1
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377

Religion

@PaulaMigrate Interesting
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited November 2017

Religion

@PaulaMigrate Interesting
    This is not meant as the inherit need of people to believe in something.
    I meant religion in the sense of (mis)using this need by organisations (e.g. churches etc) who turn it into a religion/credo/doctrine with rules and regulations - and sooner or later crusades against unbelievers...
    NimranFinneousPJBalrog99Montresor_SP

This is not meant as the inherit need of people to believe in something.
    I meant religion in the sense of (mis)using this need by organisations (e.g. churches etc) who turn it into a religion/credo with rules and regulations - and sooner or later crusades against unbelievers...

@PaulaMigrate i see
    dunbar said:

Computers

@dunbar also interesting, do you wish to clarify ?
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited November 2017
    Bigotry. Or maybe discrimination.
    NimranBalrog99semiticgoddess
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    It would probably be the idea that you are better than others (since that idea in the heads of many people lead to really messed up actions, seen already in this thread).
    BelleSorciereNimransemiticgoddess
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

JoenSo said:

The idea that the world would somehow be better off without feminism.

I would very much prefer a world where the idea of feminism is not needed because the problem that it adresses would not exist. Myself I don't want to be equal to a man, I want to be taken and accepted for what I am as a person - including being a woman - and I despise any idea that tries to make gender a discriminating factor.
    Well, sure, of course it would be better if the problem didn’t exist at all.
    BelleSorciere

Bigotry. Or maybe discrimination.

@BelleSorciere thats the first time i come across the word bigotry
    BelleSorciere

dunbar said:

Computers

Whilst there are specific areas where computerisation has been very beneficial (medicine for example) I feel that we, as people, have lost a lot (in so many ways) with the computerisation of our workplaces and society in general.

Rather than go on in detail (I've just deleted what was turning into a huge and unwieldy essay) I'll try to sum it up by saying: 'Loss of human interaction and skills'.

Balrog99
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    dunbar said:

dunbar said:

Computers

Whilst there are specific areas where computerisation has been very beneficial (medicine for example) I feel that we, as people, have lost a lot (in so many ways) with the computerisation of our workplaces and society in general.

Rather than go on in detail (I've just deleted what was turning into a huge and unwieldy essay) I'll try to sum it up by saying: 'Loss of human interaction and skills'.

Says the guy posting on an online forum, using the internet to communicate with people that can be on the other side of the world.
    edited November 2017
    Dev6 said:

dunbar said:

dunbar said:

Computers

Says the guy posting on an online forum, using the internet to communicate with people that can be on the other side of the world.
    Like every tool, computers have their uses. If I spent all day, every day on online forums my life would the lesser for it (in my opinion). That really is part of my belief - the fact that you can work from home, shop from home etc. without any face-to-face interaction with real people is in the long run a bad thing.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    I like the ease of life computers have given us I hate the general public 99% of the time as they are idiots who always sidestep in my way when I'm walking A to B. The fatter people who walk side by side on a small path and refuse to go single file or step aside for one sec so I end up having to step in road it's little things like that what grind my gears!
    dunbar said:

dunbar said:

Computers

@dunbar for a moment i thought you were referring to surveillance and face recognition software
This discussion has been closed.