Skip to content

If you could strip the world of one bad idea what would that be ?

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    dunbar said:

Dev6 said:

dunbar said:

dunbar said:

Computers

@dunbar also interesting, do you wish to clarify ?
    Whilst there are specific areas where computerisation has been very beneficial (medicine for example) I feel that we, as people, have lost a lot (in so many ways) with the computerisation of our workplaces and society in general.

Rather than go on in detail (I've just deleted what was turning into a huge and unwieldy essay) I'll try to sum it up by saying: 'Loss of human interaction and skills'.

Says the guy posting on an online forum, using the internet to communicate with people that can be on the other side of the world.
    Like every tool, computers have their uses. If I spent all day, every day on online forums my life would the lesser for it (in my opinion). That really is part of my belief - the fact that you can work from home, shop from home etc. without any face-to-face interaction with real people is in the long run a bad thing.
    Well I completely agree that spending your whole life online is a bad thing, of course.
    I cannot agree with the rest.
    Computers have given us a great deal of freedom. I buy (some) things online, not because I don't want to leave the house but because there are things I literally can't find anywhere except online.
    I don't think having to go outside and interact face-to-face with stupid people would make my life any better.
    But don't disregard what computers have given us. Like you said, medicine for example, but so much more. technology has come a long way, and we wouldn't have gotten this far without computers. And there's still so much we can accomplish.

I mean, sure, computers can be bad. But so can fire. And the wheel. Should we still live in caverns eating raw food? I don't think so.
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    Dev6 said:

Computers have given us a great deal of freedom. .

i have learned some valuable things about life because of computers but i believe that, that freedom was a bait. Online privacy is a thing of the past, Google CEO Eric Schmidt said: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place"

Meet Google. The noun that became a verb. The world's favorite search engine, and the company whose motto is "Don't be evil..."

Published on Mar 3, 2010

they are gonna forbid the use of VPN services in the future and face recognition software wouldn't be possible without computers
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Bigotry. Or maybe discrimination.

@BelleSorciere thats the first time i come across the word bigotry
    Where my mom comes from, they use it all the time. “That was a big-o-try what blowed over in that storm. One branch purt near scratched my bass boat!”
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If I could remove one idea/invention from the history of the world, it'd be Sugar.
    SkatanDJKajuru
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    tbone1 said:

Where my mom comes from, they use it all the time. “That was a big-o-try what blowed over in that storm. One branch purt near scratched my bass boat!”
    You mom is a gungan?!
  • madmangonemadmadmangonemad Member Posts: 5
    laundry
    Fardragon said:

tbone1 said:

You mom is a gungan?!
    No, Appalachian. I have relative's who hear Jeff Foxworthy's "Y' Might Be a Redneck" and say "That Ain't Funneh!"
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Racism. Defs racism.
    semiticgoddessMathsorcererDJKajuru
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

Racism. Defs racism.

As noble a sentiment as that is--and it is certainly a destination at which we need to arrive quickly--once we get there we will simply find new ways of separating ourselves into equivalence classes in an effort to look down upon others who are not in our class. In this country, if race/ethnicity is removed from the equation we separate ourselves according to economic status, as evidenced by the people who judge others based on what sort of car they drive, whether they are wearing the latest name-brand fashions, or the job they have.
    semiticgoddessBalrog99
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078

Racism. Defs racism.

As noble a sentiment as that is--and it is certainly a destination at which we need to arrive quickly--once we get there we will simply find new ways of separating ourselves into equivalence classes in an effort to look down upon others who are not in our class. In this country, if race/ethnicity is removed from the equation we separate ourselves according to economic status, as evidenced by the people who judge others based on what sort of car they drive, whether they are wearing the latest name-brand fashions, or the job they have.
    What if we got rid of the idea of separating ourselves into classes as a means of discrimination altogether then? That's still only one bad idea, and then it would get rid of both racism AND that.
    semiticgoddessMathsorcerertbone1
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

Racism. Defs racism.

What if we got rid of the idea of separating ourselves into classes as a means of discrimination altogether then? That's still only one bad idea, and then it would get rid of both racism AND that.
    That's basically what I was saying above when I said bigotry or discrimination, not just one type of them.

I mean people are already discriminated against for a lot of reasons other than racism.
    semiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    That's why I went with "tribalism."
    Mathsorcerer
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

That would be even better but would require rewiring our brains--human beings are, much like cats, hardwired not to like each other very much.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Racism. Defs racism.

That's basically what I was saying above when I said bigotry or discrimination, not just one type of them.

I mean people are already discriminated against for a lot of reasons other than racism.
    ..and exactly what I meant with my comment as well. If someone thinks they are better than someone else, no matter the reason, that is a platform for so many shitty things like racism, misogony or whatever. Remove that one idea and you cleanse the world from most of the crap.
    BelleSorciere

Racism. Defs racism.

And at that point, we can start hating each other for valid reasons: personality, musical taste, and sports.
    Balrog99SkatanLadyEibhilinRhett

Conspiracy theories?

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dreamtraveler[Deleted User]
    Dev6 said:

Conspiracy theories?

It can soften it. Like a hammer does to the skull of someone driving slow in the passing lane.

[Deleted User]
    edited November 2017
    tbone1 said:

Dev6 said:

Conspiracy theories?

It can soften it. Like a hammer does to the skull of someone driving slow in the passing lane.

@Dev6
    @tbone1
    in order for the twin towers to collapse cause of the airplanes that caused the fire that "weakened" the metal
    the fire had to be in the base of the towers

there is a nice movie to watch Loose change 2nd edition if you cant find it i can upload it on mega file hosting for you
    [Deleted User]
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Is there a version of Godwin's law for 9/11 conspiracy theories?
    tbone1Mathsorcerer[Deleted User]
    Damn illuminati lizardmen and their conspiracies to implode towers. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!
    [Deleted User]Balrog99
  • HooAmEyeHooAmEye Member Posts: 21
    Free Will
    edited November 2017
    HooAmEye said:

Free Will

That goes away when you become a parent.

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

tbone1 said:

Dev6 said:

Conspiracy theories?

@Dev6
    @tbone1
    in order for the twin towers to collapse cause of the airplanes that caused the fire that "weakened" the metal
    the fire had to be in the base of the towers

there is a nice movie to watch Loose change 2nd edition if you cant find it i can upload it on mega file hosting for you
    Is this an example of conspiracy theories or are you asserting this as true?

Conspiracy theories should have been completely canceled after the Sandy Hook conspiracy theories started circulating.
    Conspiracy theories are great because 99% of the time they're ridiculously farfetch'd and so much more complicated than the truth is...
    tbone1
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Conspiracies do happen occasionally. Folks just use them to explain way too many phenomena without concrete evidence. The appeal of a conspiracy theory is that it gives you an excuse for not having proof.
    Balrog99
    Conspiracies do happen, yes. But not the ZOMG MOON LANDING IS FAKE GUYS kind.
    @semiticgod watch Loose change 2nd edition it has many logical arguments
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

@semiticgod watch Loose change 2nd edition it has many logical arguments

With many flaws.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loose_Change
This discussion has been closed.