Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is announced!

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited November 2017 in News
Pre-order on Beamdog.

Digital Deluxe.

Wishlist on Steam.

A note from Beamdog CEO Trent Oster:

“Neverwinter Nights was a unique game that distilled the essence of Dungeons & Dragons and allowed players to build, share and act as Dungeon Master for amazing gaming experiences.I think this unique combination makes Neverwinter Nights one of the most versatile role playing game experiences of all time.

“I invite everyone interested in the future of Neverwinter Nights to join the Beamdog forums. We hope it will become a new home where you can speak directly with the development team. We need to know what YOU want to see Neverwinter Nights become, and we'll do our best to meet and exceed those expectations."

What’s included?

All the content of Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition!

The original Neverwinter Nights campaign: Find yourself at the center of intrigue, betrayal, and dark magic in Neverwinter Nights. Journey through dangerous cities, monster filled dungeons and deep into uncharted wilderness in search of the cure for a cursed plague ravaging the city of Neverwinter.

Two expansion packs:
Shadows of Undrentide: Another adventure begins in Shadows of Undrentide! Charged by your master to recover four ancient artifacts, travel from the Silver Marches to unravel mysteries of a long-dead magical civilization.
Hordes of the Underdark: Continue the adventure started in Shadows of Undrentide and journey into the ever-more bizarre and hostile depths of Undermountain to challenge a gathering evil.

Three premium modules:
Discover over 40 hours of new stories, then go on to sample the hundreds of modules created by community members just like you.
Kingmaker
ShadowGuard
Witch’s Wake

The Aurora Toolset: Build your own world full of unique monsters, items, traps, encounters, and settings, then share your creation with the rest of the Neverwinter Nights community. (Windows only)

Dungeon Master Client: Become the storyteller! Control monsters, creatures, and characters your players will meet over the course of an adventure.

Can't wait? Get a Head Start!

We'll be selecting lucky fans from the pre-order pool on Beamdog for the Head Start program. This is your chance to play NWN:EE, dust off old modules, and update your persistent world servers early! Getting ongoing feedback from experienced fans will help shape the future of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, so let us know what you think!

What’s new? Enhanced Features!

Mostly noticeably, we’ve added an improved display that looks great on modern monitors. Your portrait, combat bar, inventory, and other UI elements now adjust in size based on your chosen resolution and you can select what size scaling you prefer. We’ve also added Advanced Graphics Options! We believe the added pixel shaders and post-processing effects make for crisper, cleaner visuals. Now you can choose to enable contrast, vibrance, and depth of field options as you desire.

These new graphic options are open to modders, and we’re already hearing lots of great ideas from our early testers. We’ve made an effort to ensure NWN:EE is backwards compatible! All your save games, modules, and mods from the original Neverwinter Nights work in the Enhanced Edition.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/11/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition.html
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
Aedantaclane[Deleted User]ShikaoAnduin[Deleted User]ThacoBellelvee68gugulug5000kaguanalolienSssiksseilorSkatanNotabarbiegirliKrivetkoKenjiNonnahswriterBeetleSouthpaw

Comments

• taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    This is a fantastic surprise!

Congrats, and I'm surely looking forward to the release!
    JuliusBorisovAnduinVarwulf
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited November 2017
    What about "Pirates of the Sword Coast", "Infinite Dungeons" and "Wyvern Crown of Cormyr" premium modules?

Edit:
    INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING GAME CONTENT

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - The entire Neverwinter Nights adventure, the Shadows of Undrentide & Hordes of the Underdark expansions, three premium modules (Kingmaker, ShadowGuard, and Witch’s Wake), the Dungeon Master Client, and the Aurora Toolset.

Neverwinter Nights: Pirates of the Sword Coast - A swashbuckling Dungeons & Dragons journey on the high seas. Experience multiple endings, cunning henchmen, and a rollicking tale of woe!

Neverwinter Nights: Wyvern Crown of Cormyr - Explore the kingdom on horseback, compete in jousting tournaments, and become a knight of Cormyr!

Neverwinter Nights: Infinite Dungeons - Enter a procedurally generated multi-level dungeon tailored to your gameplay style for characters of levels 1 to 40. Maps, encounters, and treasure change with each play, providing a unique dungeon crawling experience every adventure!

Neverwinter Nights: Heroes of Neverwinter - Customize your Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition experience with this collection of ten new character portraits.

@JuliusBorisov
    AnduinVarwulf
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited November 2017
    @God
    They are included.

Anduin
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    God said:

What about "Pirates of the Sword Coast", "Infinite Dungeons" and "Wyvern Crown of Cormyr" premium modules?

Edit:

INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING GAME CONTENT

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - The entire Neverwinter Nights adventure, the Shadows of Undrentide & Hordes of the Underdark expansions, three premium modules (Kingmaker, ShadowGuard, and Witch’s Wake), the Dungeon Master Client, and the Aurora Toolset.

Neverwinter Nights: Pirates of the Sword Coast - A swashbuckling Dungeons & Dragons journey on the high seas. Experience multiple endings, cunning henchmen, and a rollicking tale of woe!

Neverwinter Nights: Wyvern Crown of Cormyr - Explore the kingdom on horseback, compete in jousting tournaments, and become a knight of Cormyr!

Neverwinter Nights: Infinite Dungeons - Enter a procedurally generated multi-level dungeon tailored to your gameplay style for characters of levels 1 to 40. Maps, encounters, and treasure change with each play, providing a unique dungeon crawling experience every adventure!

Neverwinter Nights: Heroes of Neverwinter - Customize your Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition experience with this collection of ten new character portraits.

@JuliusBorisov
    https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq#03
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    There were a few mods that improved models slightly like hands that were no slabs of meat, but I would expect Beamdog to do even better. But, I don't think they will.

It seems to be a running problem, they are poor when it comes to presentation and atmosphere. They needs only look forward to Jade Empire to see how a rather minor upgrade (next to what we have today) can make a game that still stands up well today despite being very outdated. Heck, Jade Empire looks better than NWN2 which came out a year later I think.
    Shandaxx said:

@Sirick
    Can modders do that? And to what extend?

[Deleted User]Shikao
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    I'm likely to get it purely on the basis of Pirates of the Sword Coast being included. Was the one thing from the original version I never got my hands on that I absolutely wanted.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Hmm I heard about this just recently and I was surprised to be honest. I thought the rights to NwN were tied up in some complicated legal knot that made a release difficult.

Anyway keeping it pretty safe with the enhancements from now on eh? Well I guess that's a safe option. I can't help but agreeing with the notion that you are being a little too laid-back about it all though.

I mean as seen with the premium modules back in the day, the game is quite open to new custom adventures. NwN is far less risky than enhancing content in IE games.
    Anduin
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Shandaxx said:

@Sirick @JuliusBorisov

I was wondering about something. There must have been SO MANY modules out there for NWN 1 - but eventually NWN2 came along.

There MUST HAVE been people who ported their NWN1 modules to NWN2, right? I cannot imagine that nobody at all would have ported (or at least tried to do so) their module from NWN1 to NWN2.

So would that not be possible? To port NWN1 into the engine of NWN2. The engine of NWN2 is based on the one of NWN1 after all.

I don't know, this is a question about NWN2 more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Shandaxx Why not ask that in the stream? There have been a few questions about enhancing the graphics of Neverwinter Nights there already.
    [Deleted User]
    Anduin
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Wowza! =D
    I smell my first potential pre-order forum badge =P
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I'm already waiting on my badge. You can't understand how happy it makes me to see NWN coming back to life.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited November 2017
    Actually, when I first read NWN:EE, I immediately thought: "Oh, great! They will use NWN2 Aurora Engine, which is definitely better, an enhancement indeed!".
    Then I saw the trailer.
    Uhm.
    May we have some info about the decision to keep the old graphics? Is it because of save/mod compability?
    [Deleted User]sarevok57Kamigoroshi
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I am soooo hyped...

Can't wait for the beamdog community NWN home to come online and wander in with my gnome of wonder!
    [Deleted User]Varwulf
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    sarevok57Skatan
  • aarionnaarionn Member Posts: 94
    When will we get our pre-order badges? :)
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    anyway if @Lilura is around, I'd like to hear her expert thoughts on what was shown.

In the stream they said the reasons for not redoing the graphics were to not mess up textures that modders used for their mods and also because the cost would be too high to redo all the graphics for the NWN+expansion content.

This.
    [Deleted User]Andarian[Deleted User]Varwulf
    smeagolheartsarevok57
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Shandaxx said:

Sirick said:

Looks like they are not adding anything to make the game look better, besides shaders. They will be leaving it to modders [...]

@Sirick
    Can modders do that? And to what extend?
    Modders can do pretty much anything to any extent concerning the sprites etc... But the thing is, when you have a team of professional artists paid for doing their job, you can do a lot more, in a much shorter time frame than what a solo modder, or even a team of modder, can do on their free time.

Hyped by NWN:EE, but still I really look forward to the day Beamdog will finally make their own game. I can understand a small game studio making their own game is quite the challenge though.
    [Deleted User]smeagolheart
This discussion has been closed.