Skip to content

What was the Candlekeep Merlin secret that Beamdog found while making E.E.?

I remember that Beamdog staff found a hidden secret in the character creation screen where if you punched in a code you started the game in Candlekeep with a full party with Merlin and early version of some N.P.C.s like Imoen. I cannot find the article / post about the discovery so I hope to see if anyone here remembers what the secret was. There was screens shots, I did it myself once or twice and I think the main character had a Montaron portrait; does anyone have any information / a link to the original post?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm pretty sure the character was named "Elminster". I think it happened if you hit CTRL-(insert some other key here) when starting character creation.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    I'm gonna need some more details about this lol, never heard it before.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Tried it out, it's hilarious.

Party of Minsc, Jaheira, Alora, Edwin, Coran.
    All level 5/6.
    Ton of equipment, including BofS, plate mail, Varscona, guards ring, cloak of Balderan, arrows ect.
    Seems like charname has unlimited spells, is a level 6 cleric/mage.
    12 spell slots/level (if not more) lol.
    No Edwin amulet.

Went as far as the FAI and now I have two Jaheiras in party, what a nightmare.

It's kind of boring though but I'm tempted to carry on....two Edwins could be fun. :D
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I tried it out, but I could only get it to work on BG:EE version 1.3, not on the recent version 2.3
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

I tried it out, but I could only get it to work on BG:EE version 1.3, not on the recent version 2.3

Are you sure? You have to go to start new game, then create new character then hit ctrl+num5 before doing anything else.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

Are you sure? You have to go to start new game, then create new character then hit ctrl+num5 before doing anything else.
    I couldn't make it work with the latest patch either.
    Dev6 said:

I couldn't make it work with the latest patch either.
    With or without SoD installed? Or both? Try to report on support.baldursgate.com :)
    The only problem I have with it is there is no picture for charname.
    Any way to fix that?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

The only problem I have with it is there is no picture for charname.
    Any way to fix that?

You should be able to do that in the record screen.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited December 2017
    @JuliusBorisov I find that Siege of Dragonspear broke it and it works in Enhanced Edition. Perhaps it is a bug with Siege of Dragonspear? After all it was apart of the original game in some fashion I suppose. Kind of like Baldur's Gate 'beta' in some way heh. Either way it kind of sucks losing a piece of the earliest history of Baldur's Gate. Also it was really cool to do for fun:).
    @WithinAmnesia

Do you mind if I post this here in your thread?
    Sorry if you do, ask for it be moved if you don't.

Just wanted to say that I think I have had a slight brain implosion. Here I am playing with a party which is so OP for the beginning of BG, for instance I'm about to start Nashkel being able to cast a handfull of cloudkill spells, summon skeletons, an invisible stalker (should I want one) ect. plus all the cleric spells I want. I have a party with two Edwins and two Jaheiras and a charname who says nothing and Alora.
    And they repeat their lines, one after the other. And they haven't noticed each other.

Something has gone terribly wrong.
    I can't cope.
    Why doesn't the game know what is happening?

I think Dopplegangers have taken over.

I knew they would get me in the end................
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    No such luck for me. I do CTRL+5 using the numpad at the character creation screen before selecting a gender, and also on the Create Party screen, before selecting a slot to fill, but nothing happens.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    For those who wish to have a look but can't, I have created the game and immediately saved (using v1.3.2053 but works in 2.3.x). 'tis attached.

Enjoy
    Gus
    edited December 2017

@WithinAmnesia

Do you mind if I post this here in your thread?
    Sorry if you do, ask for it be moved if you don't.

Just wanted to say that I think I have had a slight brain implosion. Here I am playing with a party which is so OP for the beginning of BG, for instance I'm about to start Nashkel being able to cast a handfull of cloudkill spells, summon skeletons, an invisible stalker (should I want one) ect. plus all the cleric spells I want. I have a party with two Edwins and two Jaheiras and a charname who says nothing and Alora.
    And they repeat their lines, one after the other. And they haven't noticed each other.

Something has gone terribly wrong.
    I can't cope.
    Why doesn't the game know what is happening?

I think Dopplegangers have taken over.

I knew they would get me in the end................

Elminster: Elminster! Stop this madness, child, I beg of thee! Thou hast soaked these halls with the blood of innocents, and I cannot permit it to go further.

Gorion: It's okay, Elminster, it's all right. I did not die that night, nor have I yet. The blade that you thought slew me had been treated with a magical poison. It left me, a living a living soul and lively mind, imprisoned in a body that gave all appearance of death. The man that you saw that night is called Sarevok, and he has been in the keep for three days past under the reverse alias "Koveras." Tethtoril kept watch on him but, in our foolishness, we never thought that he might have others with him... Please, child I have loved you too much to lose you now.

Tethtoril: Elminster and I had suspected it for some time. With Sarevok away from his lair, Elminster was at last able to locate your stepfather and bring him to safety... Forgive me, Elminster. I should have told you Earlier. But to raise your hopes up only to see them dashed to pieces all over again? There is too much heart left in this bony cage for me to have done that.

Elminster: Please, child, sheathe those weapons and sheathe thy madness, too. Come with us and we shall see thee, at last, to safety.

Your time has come primate! RAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

Arkanis and Deder were never illusions...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Gusinda said:

For those who wish to have a look but can't, I have created the game and immediately saved (using v1.3.2053 but works in 2.3.x). 'tis attached.

Enjoy
    Gus

Looks like the devs picked a cleric/mage so they could cast any spell in the game from a single character and make they sure they all worked properly. The Elminster Charname has 3 copies of every spell memorized that was available in the original BG1, including all player-usable innate spells, from the Bhaalspawn powers to NPC-exclusive spells like Summon Ghast. Notice that this does not include Stoneskin, since Stoneskin was not present in the original game.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    After all these years, still learning cool new stuff about the game. :)
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Eh playing this mode is probably fun for half an hour, then is *yawn*. Like "It's a goood day to die" in Warcraft II, or playing a ice whirlwind sorc or hammer paladin in Diablo 2. Like, I cheat all the time with EEkeeper in BG, creating illegal and fairly powerful chars, but I never make them uber, because that is like watching a screen saver of a game rather than playing a game.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Oooh, Interactive BG screensaver! Make it so, Beamdog!
    kcwise said:

Oooh, Interactive BG screensaver! Make it so, Beamdog!

You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself!

(A.I. Battle of your saved game parties verses random travel encounters). Have noober as a super rare encounter (1% chance)